Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-12-2022, 10:44 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2022 27' Globetrotter
DALLAS , TX
Pharmacies?? What are the best options?

Hi Folks,

I would imagine that one or two of my fellow airstreamers has to take a medication or two

So, how do you guys handle prescriptions while you are out enjoying life for months at a time? Especially when you are in out of the way places or small towns without access to common pharmacy chains (CVS, Walgreens, Rite-Aid, etc, etc).

We normally have a love-hate relationship with CVS, but I can't imagine they are available everywhere.
foobar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2022, 12:18 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
We use the 90 day supply mail order option from our Medicare provider…

We’re not out on the road over 90 days at a time generally.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2022, 12:21 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2022 27' Globetrotter
DALLAS , TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmkrum View Post
We use the 90 day supply mail order option from our Medicare provider…

We’re not out on the road over 90 days at a time generally.
Thanks for the reply rmkrum.

So you have all of your prescriptions synchronized (you can pick them all up at the same time?) and on a 90 day supply?

What would you do if a trip you planned on taking would overlap with the timeframe in which you would hit the 90 day refill point?

Our first airstream (and first RV) will arrive in mid-July and I'm trying to figure out as much as I can in advance. Prescription refills are on my "to figure out list"
Old 05-12-2022, 12:24 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2022 27' Globetrotter
DALLAS , TX
I have a couple of prescriptions for which a 30 day supply is all you can obtain and one of them has to be refrigerated unfortunately.

So, we are just starting the process of figuring out how to handle prescription refills when we are on the road having fun. We hope to be able to take some longer trips of 1 - 3 months or more.
Old 05-12-2022, 06:17 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Pharmacies?? What are the best options?

Quote:
Originally Posted by foobar View Post
Thanks for the reply rmkrum.

So you have all of your prescriptions synchronized (you can pick them all up at the same time?) and on a 90 day supply?

What would you do if a trip you planned on taking would overlap with the timeframe in which you would hit the 90 day refill point?

Our first airstream (and first RV) will arrive in mid-July and I'm trying to figure out as much as I can in advance. Prescription refills are on my "to figure out list"

I’ve carefully built up a backup supply that will run in total 2-3 months extra to stretch a refill. Takes a bit of planning.

I’ve only got 6 total prescriptions I need to carry, the rest are only OTC supplements available anywhere. My doctor is also willing to write prescriptions a few weeks early to bridge a travel coverage gap.

In any case, I can send the mail order refills to a local California home address and they can forward the package to me anywhere.

All my prescriptions are already closely synchronized within a few days, and all run 90 days. It can be made to work well with a bit of planning.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2022, 08:13 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2021 27' Globetrotter
Malibu , California
Sign up to GoodRX, it’s an online pharmacy. Once you add your prescriptions to your cart it gives you an option to pick them up at all the pharmacies close to your current location. Super easy.
CMHM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2022, 08:18 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2022 27' Globetrotter
DALLAS , TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMHM View Post
Sign up to GoodRX, it’s an online pharmacy. Once you add your prescriptions to your cart it gives you an option to pick them up at all the pharmacies close to your current location. Super easy.
Thanks for the tip CMHM. I have used GoodRx to find local pharmacies with the lowest price on any particular prescription, but was not aware of the service that you describe. I’ll check that out. I imagine that I’ll need to have my doctor send all of my prescriptions to them.
Old 05-12-2022, 08:23 PM   #8

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Greetings from the Florida Panhandle

We have been Airstreaming for sixteen years and take at least one multi-month trip per year. We have been using the WalMart Pharmacy for many years. We can easily fill prescriptions on the road. We just go on-line, select the refill, and specify the WalMart store where you want to pick it up.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2022, 08:25 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2017 25' International
West Lake Hills , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMHM View Post
^1 for GoodRX. Four meds between the two of us. For one of those meds, GoodRX is 3% the cost of CVS, both generic. You read that right...three precent. Ridiculous.

We take 90-day supplies but if we planned to be on the road longer, I might try WalMart. Most reasonably sized towns have one. And they are good enough for groceries. We have the incomparable HEB/CentralMarket in Texas....nothing comes close anywhere else. But on the road, WalMart has become our go-to for groceries. Might work for meds.
Fungus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2022, 04:44 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I maintain my prescriptions at Walgreens, which can then be accessed at any of their branches around the country.

You can also take a prescription bottle into any small town pharmacy and they can access the Walgreens system to refill for you.

Been doing this now for 15 years.

Maggie
Old 05-13-2022, 04:54 AM   #11
rbs
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
Decatur , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by moosetags View Post
We have been Airstreaming for sixteen years and take at least one multi-month trip per year. We have been using the WalMart Pharmacy for many years. We can easily fill prescriptions on the road. We just go on-line, select the refill, and specify the WalMart store where you want to pick it up.

Brian
we use Walmarts, will have to learn how to refill online, damn didn't know that
rbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2022, 05:20 AM   #12
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
We use CVS. When I get a notice that a prescription is ready, I call a cvs where we are located and they fill it. It works very well for us. Prescriptions in Canada can not be filled...

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2022, 09:32 AM   #13
1 Rivet Member

2018 30' Flying Cloud
Ann Arbor , Michigan
Ditto on CVS, any CVS in the country can look up your refill status on their electronic system and fill your order. Most CVS’s I’ve been to also have contactless drive-through, which was convenient during Covid issues.

I also get 90 day supplies but the insurance balks when I want more than a 90 day travel supply (for Intl travel etc) even though they are low cost generics. Hence, I have my doctor write a second subscription, find the cheapest place to fill it on GoodRX (but not CVS), then pay out of pocket for my extra travel supply. Insurance doesn’t know, of course, this only works on low cost scrips that you’re willing to pay out of pocket.
Tasml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2022, 09:38 AM   #14
3 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Fitchburg , Wisconsin
I'm on the 90 day refill schedule at Walgreens. I've never had a problem getting a refill if I needed one but if my remaining count suggested I would need a refill in the middle of Newfoundland, for example, I'd explain the situation before I left and get an emergency refill to carry me through. I'd be surprised if your doc wouldn't work with you on this.
BillfromWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2022, 12:04 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

Napa , California
With those prescriptions you can’t order ahead or emergency refills usually all you need to do is find a pharmacy…if it is the same pharmacy you use at home, they can forward the forward the prescription. If not, then call your regular doctor to get them to send a prescription to them. There are also minor medical emergency clinics in CVS and some other places where you can see a doctor, discuss the prescription issue and get help. The rules do change if you are traveling out of the country.
Atwebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2022, 01:39 PM   #16

2018 25' International
Barnegat , New Jersey
I am a Pharmacist so let me begin by saying that many great suggestions have already been posted. The easiest thing to do is to carry enough of your maintenance medications for the entire time you will be away. If you need a refill while traveling, most of the large chains will have access to your records and can can refill your prescription while traveling. Mail Order has also been mentioned.

In the event you run out while traveling and can't find your 'chain', bring your empty prescription bottle to the local pharmacy and 'patiently' describe your situation. The pharmacist can call your pharmacy and transfer the prescription to their location for filling, or even call your physician for you. Please don't expect this to happen immediately and give the pharmacist at least a day for all the phone calls they have to make. When you travel to another location down the road, just repeat the process. Now, having said that, there are some differing state laws that may prevent more than one 'transfer of a prescription'. In my state, you can transfer a prescription multiple times (as long as you have refills and it is not a controlled substance). If in doubt, speak to your pharmacist before you leave - they should be willing to help you out with suggestions.

Other options are to speak to your doctor ahead of time and let them know that you are going to 'call from the road' to have them phone a prescription into the local pharmacy for filling while traveling and/or if the doctor is willing, have them provide hard copies of your prescriptions to you before you travel so that you can get them filled during your trip. Again, this assumes we are talking about maintenance medications and not controlled substances.

Hopefully one or more of these suggestions will help -

Your local Independent Pharmacist
Sitzmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2022, 03:52 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Always good to give a day or two or three before ordering a refill on the road and needing to pick it up, as sometimes a pharmacy doesn’t have enough of your medication to fill your 90 day scrip and they have to order it.

If I recall correctly, ordering almost always results in next day delivery.

Using one of the big chains, you can locate a store in the direction you are traveling, fill your scrips online, then simply pick it up on your way through.

Maggis
Old 05-13-2022, 04:28 PM   #18
:SPACE A" S/O 11 Air19745

2006 34' Classic S/O
Fort Worth , Texas
Warning: "Controlled Drugs" are not allowed to be fill out side of your doctors state. However, all the other above suggestions are excellent.
guskmg
guskmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2022, 04:35 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
We take a lot of prescriptions. We use CVS. Yes, in Maine it was a long drive to get to one. But all in all it works pretty well. I have never been able to really coordinate my prescriptions. Some are 90 days. Some they will not do 90 days for. So have seen a lot of stores.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2022, 08:13 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2022 27' Globetrotter
DALLAS , TX
Appreciate all of the feedback folks.

We currently use CVS and will probably stick with that but Walmart and goodrx sound like alternatives if we can’t make CVS work out. I’ll talk to my pharmacist and my doctor about how we can synchronize all of the prescriptions so they can be filled at the same time. We have slowly accumulated these over the years so we start each one shortly after we received the prescriptions. So naturally, refills don’t currently line up.

One of my prescriptions is unfortunately a controlled substance. I’ll have to figure out what to do about that. I’ll start by seeing if a 90 day prescription is allowed.

What do folks do when planning for an extended trip into Canada? One option is to keep the trip less than 90 days, but are there other options?