Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-18-2016, 12:42 PM   #1

2017 23' International
Little Rock , Arkansas
Ordering a 23FB - any factory options?

My wife and I are ordering our first Airstream (and first RV / travel trailer of any kind, after years of tent camping / backpacking / kayaking). We have our sights set on an International Signature 23FB.

The only options I see listed on the website are the 80W solar / battery package, the convection microwave, the various leather seating options, and the rearview monitoring system.

Since we're probably going to end up ordering from the factory anyway, are there other things / options available from the factory that we should consider?

Also, are there any aftermarket options / upgrades you would recommend?

Obviously we will learn more in the first year or two of use, but just wondered if there were options and ideas we should consider on the front end, while we are ordering / building it.

Thanks in advance!

- Russ
RussMcD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 12:49 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Nothing you can't add cheaper and better later if you find you need it.

Good luck and congrats!
2014 Airstream Flying Cloud 30 Recliner - WBCCI #4850 - AIR #110821
2018 Nissan Armada SL Tow Vehicle, Equal-i-zer Hitch
Visit Our Flying Cloud blog for my latest adventure!
FCStreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 01:19 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Welcome. You can not order directly from the factory. The dealer you must order thru will have an order sheet with all available options.
Options include fans, second AC, power options, spare tire, interior fabric colors, cabinet and flooring laminates, stoves, convection microwave, etc.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 01:57 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
If it doesn't come standard with Ultraleather then order that option.

Kelvin
Old 09-18-2016, 02:34 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Venice , Florida
Definitely check on tire/rim upgrade to 15" as I believe the 23ft comes with 14" rims. Also, add the window awning package.
TAC FL-47
2018 Nissan Titan XD Cummins Diesel
Mrjkq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 03:00 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
1979 23' Safari
Wayland , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by FCStreamer View Post

Good luck and congrats!
At least if you're really handy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrjkq View Post
Definitely check on tire/rim upgrade to 15" as I believe the 23ft comes with 14" rims. Also, add the window awning package.
If they will let you. Last time I asked Patrick at colonial they wouldn't do it. Making you waste your money to do it yourself later.
HiJoeSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 03:12 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Jupiter , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrjkq View Post
From the online specs for the 2017 International Signature 23FB:

Goodyear® ST225/75R15 Tires, Balanced STD
SeaLevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 03:12 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Southeastern , Pennsylvania
We just came home from the Hershey show where we viewed all of the models. I was pretty sure we wanted an Int'l Sig 23 (FB) but we then looked at the 25 (FB). Most of the time it will be just my wife and I but one of our two children (college age) may tag along once in a while. Have you sat in both of them?

We have determined that the extra cost is well worth it and will likely buy the Int'l Sig 25 (FB) or the Flying Cloud 25 (FB). We like to sit on these decisions for about a month so they stew over in our minds. Good Luck whatever you decide.
phil1ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 03:57 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
1979 23' Safari
Wayland , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaLevel View Post
From the online specs for the 2017 International Signature 23FB:

Goodyear® ST225/75R15 Tires, Balanced STD
Finally!
HiJoeSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 04:02 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
As soon as I win the lottery I am getting a 26U to replace my 23.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 04:03 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2004 31' Classic
lubbock , Texas
we got our awnings in red instead of grey
jump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 04:37 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
The 2017 23 foot Front Bed is the Queen of Airstreams!

Russ... you will absolutely enjoy the 2017 23FB. A fellow Colorado Airstreamer had one delivered and brought it by my house and we did a walk through. This was to give pointers on cabinets that come loose and interior drawer to secure. My wife is proficient with the interior upgrades we did on our 2014 International.

You have the smallest Airstream with a DOUBLE AXLE and now 15" wheels and D Rated Tires.

The Queen sized bed is... about time. If you do not use the microwave, you will not have the refrigerator fan that has given many some noisy operation soon after purchase. The refrigerator would be vented straight through the roof, instead.

The hot, cold and fresh water tank drains can be sheered off with errant stones. Just a section of sheet metal to deflect stones works fine. They are in between the door side of the trailer, in between the two axles.

The best thing were the axles. They were 15" wheels and had the same Dexter parts number sticker as our 25 foot 2014. The 14" tires that originally were fitted to the 14" axles were an accident in the making. You now possess the BEST 23 Foot Airstream made, 8 feet in width, 15" wheels which some day can be upgraded to 16" Michelins, outside the dealership's big markup footprint.

From looking through the 2017 23 foot Flying Cloud, overhead curved cabinet doors never were a problem in our 2006 23 Safari. The top drawer next to the bed, below the closet, tends to drop out when traveling. Put a safety catch and release to prevent that happening, more than once. (Your International may be like our 25' with sliders, most likely.)

Had we seen this 23 foot Airstream available on the lot in 2014, it would have been a tough decision purchasing the 25 foot International.

You have the ultimate go anywhere double axle Airstream available!

Color the interior and awnings whatever you like. Every other Airstream from 25 feet and up are just longer. Anyone with an older 23 footer... you had better look at this Front Bed model before going UP in size.
Old 09-19-2016, 09:02 AM   #13

2017 23' International
Little Rock , Arkansas
Thanks to everyone for these responses. And what a great and active forum. I have answered so many questions just by browsing a few of the threads on here.

We started out looking at the Sport 22FB, and then decided the 23FB made more sense for us. Now we're looking at the 25FB. They certainly get nicer and roomier the larger you go up, but I'm afraid we're ending up further away from our goal of being able to quickly attach a little trailer and get away for a 3 or 4-day weekend! The 25 is as large as I'm willing to go size-wise. So we'll see where we end up.

Thanks again!

- Russ
RussMcD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 09:28 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
San Diego , California
In November, 2006, we did a Factory custom order (through our dealer) for a 23' Safari with the Full Awning Package (awning on 3 sides), two factory installed solar panels with Glassmatt AGM batteries, 2 Fanstatic Fans (one with a reversible switch), and a 600 watt inverter.

I believe having the factory install the options during the build of the trailer reduces the chances of collateral damage done by dealers and other third party companies later!

Additional information on our trailer: SilverGate's Safari is Home at Last!
SilverGate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 09:39 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2016 28' Pendleton
Currently Looking...
Scottsdale , Arizona
Hi from AZ. . . Welcome to the clan. . . we had the same options as Silver
Gate done by our dealer on our previous AS & it worked out well. Those are the options I'd put on any AS. . . travel safe, Craig
Old 09-19-2016, 11:24 AM   #16
4 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Holly Springs , Mississippi
You should request the Factory increase the wheel openings in anticipation of your later purchasing 16" wheels and tires. If you go the next step and buy the 16" rims and Michelin tires from Airstream, it's about $1800 and no credit for the 15" wheels and tires you won't be using.

The Factory rep told me it's no big deal to slightly open up the length of wheel openings if they know about it before the trailer enters production. I wish I had done this.

2016 FC 25' FB twin
2013 F-150 Lariat CrewCab 3.5 EB 4X4 3.55 axle
Bob662 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 05:06 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2015 30' International
FREDERICK , Maryland
#1 If you are going to spend anytime in the Desert SW during hotter months, or anyplace where it will be hot and sunny for any length of time, the get the rear and streetside awnings to help keep your trailer cool, especially if you plan on boondocking without a generator.

#2 If you don't anticipate using the gas oven much, then if you get the optional Convection microwave instead, you will gain some extra storage space.

#3 Upgrade to the Ultraleather. If you are ordering, you might also be able to choose a different flooring option or countertop color option, but not sure about that.

#4 I notice now that they are prewired for solar and backup camera:
https://www.airstream.com/travel-tra...pecifications/
Rear View Camera Pre-wire STD
Solar Pre-wire (Rooftop & Front Access Points) STD
I think you can actually go ahead and get a rear view camera from the factory, definitely from your dealer.
From what I have read on this forum about the factory solar, I would pass and add it on later.

#5 Plan on camping a night or two near your dealer for any problems that pop up after using and or any questions you might have after first use.

#6 ENJOY!
Doc Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 01:31 AM   #18
2 Rivet Member

2016 19' International
Orange County , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by FCStreamer View Post

Good luck and congrats!
We have had our 19' International for 3 months now and I agree with FCStreamer, 90% of everything you will want add can be done aftermarket MUCH cheaper and better quality.

#1 Replace the Parallax charge controller with a multi-stage charge controller. I purchased the Progressive Dynamics model which is basically a drop-in plug and play charge controller. The single-stage charge which comes with the Airstream will cook your batteries and you'll be buying new ones in 18-24 months time from what I have heard.

The UltraLeather I would definitely opt for. It's been very durable with our furry child and extremely soft.

We had our dealer install the Dexter Axle lift kit. Maybe they can do it from the factory. We purchased the Blue Ox weight distribution hitch and the bar ends scraped on every speed bump no matter the angle. We also scraped on several driveways. I just towed our Airstream 3,100 miles in the last 3 weeks and never scraped once since our Dexter Axle lift kit was installed.

For the same cost to install the small factory solar system, we used the factory pre-wiring and installed two 100 watt (200 watt total) GoPower Flex Panels, a GoPower Solar Controller and Victron Energy Battery Monitor. We have more solar than needed to charge our batteries but this has proven to work as intended in cloudy/overcast days or when around tall trees which block sunlight. It also kept us from having to use a generator all but once during our 21 day trip throughout CA, OR, WA and NV.

My next order of business is to upgrade to 16" rims (about $150 each) and better quality tires. Our ST tires had bulging on the side from the factory and we were told they are made that way. Several people I have spoken with say the ST tires are garbage. There are numerous people here on the forum who have suffered blowouts and caused thousands of dollars in damage.

None of this is necessary to get on the road but it's peace of mind and convenience. Congrats on your new purchase and good luck!
TinVenture is offline   Reply With Quote