Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-06-2021, 09:36 PM   #1

Laguna Beach , CA
Opinions on Basecamp 20

Hi there friends! I'm new here so I hope I'm posting this to the right forum I wanted to get some opinions on the "livability" of the Basecamp 20 (and anything else that might be worth considering.) My husband, two-year-old, and I are going to be leaving in June/July to travel around the country visiting national parks. We are brand new to RV/trailer living, and I know there is a lot to know, but primarily I just wanted to get some opinions on what you fine folks have to say about the new Basecamp and if you think that's a good choice for the three of us. We would likely also get the tent attachment so my son can have some extra room to romp around and I'd also like any thoughts you may have on that.

Also for the 6 months we will be swapping our Subaru Crosstrek for my brother's Audi Q5, which has a towing capacity of 4,400. With the Basecamp coming in at around 3,400 I'm wondering if that's cutting it too close. Any thoughts?

Truthfully, if I could I would probably prefer a Bambi 20, but that would require us to buy a new car on top of the additional expense of the Bambi.

Anyway, any thoughts would be so so appreciated! It might also be worth mentioning that we're both extremely experienced hikers, backpackers, and outdoor enthusiasts, so while we're new to Airstream living, we're certainly no stranger to weeks on end without showers or hot meals, so while we want our Airstream choice to be comfortable, we by no means need a lot of extra bells and whistles.

Thanks so much for taking the time! Happy adventuring y'all

- Libby
lmusetti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 07:55 AM   #2
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Evergreen , Colorado
It sounds like you've got some exciting plans!

I don't have personal experience with the Basecamp trailers, other than considering one before we bought our current trailer. Personally, I think the Basecamp trailers are very cool and I like them. I think many people view them the first step into the travel trailer world from tent camping. They are certainly more rugged and have more spartan interiors than the other Airstream models, but they're very nice.

I think you can make a Basecamp work for your needs, but there are a few things I'd consider. First of all, you mentioned the tow vehicle. I don't know about the towing capacity of the Audi Q5, but it seems like it could pull a Basecamp if properly outfitted. You'll need to be mindful of more than just towing capacity. You'll need to understand maximum hitch weight, passenger and cargo capacity, etc. You'll probably need a trailer brake controller - different states have different laws regarding these. Personally, I wouldn't tow without one. I haven't seen the tent setup before, I've only seen it in the storage bag on the floor of the dealership. It's HUGE, and it will eat into your cargo space.

Personally, I would buy the X package with any Basecamp. Have you considered the 16X? I actually think it's a better overall package than the 20X. It is a little bit smaller and lighter, it has a nice galley. You might even be able to tow it with your Subaru (I don't know if that is true or not - it's a question). To me, once you get up into 20-footer territory, then the Bambi or Caravel line should also be considered.

Good luck with your search. The hunt and the research are part of the fun!

Past:
Airstream International Serenity 23FB
Newmar Ventana 3715
Dennis C is offline   Reply With Quote