Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-17-2014, 08:58 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Cat City , California
On Board Stereos/Radios- Upgrade?

2012 FC with "Sony DSX" radio.

I have no use for this radio that came with the unit. The interface is not useable for us, and it doesn't have a WX band, and other things I like. I've been looking for a super-duper replacement. I am wondering if others have found great all-in-one products (heads, receivers) to recommend? Here's what I think are requisites and must haves:

-AM/FM/WX (weather) bands
-Volume and Tuning controlled by turning a knob
-On/Off switch that is hard wired. e.g. OFF means physically disconnected from power
- AUX input jack on front panel
- 4 speaker output with at least 12W
- CD player
- No manual needed for operation
- Can be bigger than the current radio, but must fit in that same panel.

So far, I have only found this Jensen JENSEN AM/FM/CD/DVD/USB/WB/iPOD Ready Wallmount Stereo with HDMI Video Output

Anyone?
mstephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 09:12 AM   #2
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
I want one too so let me know when you find one!

Dave
"LOVE and LOSS, are two of the greatest emotions one can experience. -- I went to school to learn about "WHAT GOES UP MUST COME DOWN" but I had to live my life to learn the lesson of: 'WITH LOVE THERE WILL BE SORROW'."
David Stewart. (after loosing my NAVIGATOR)
masseyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 10:15 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
That Jensen is bigger and the buttons are bigger, but...
Sometimes those round switches that look like knobs are not really knobs- the just move slightly left/right or up/down one click. It is still software driven and will still operate like the Sony. My Sony does not actually have a CD player- if you want to play a CD you play it in the Blu-ray player. The Sony is a "media" player.
When you get another stereo, can I have your Sony? All stereos these days are designed around satellite radio and MP3 players.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 10:40 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
Hmm, I looked at the manual; this thing is no less complicated than the stock SONY. It is not going to fit in your factory provided cutout and the only front panel input is a 3.5mm Aux. The iPod connector is on the back as are RCA inputs and other stuff. You do not need a CD player with your factory DVD player so I think you are asking for a lot of trouble just to add a weather band. I rely on my phone/pc for weather, in any event.
I can understand your dislike of the SONY, but it becomes easier to use with familiarity and it is well integrated into the trailer system. You may not need Bluetooth today but after we got a Bluetooth phone, we really appreciate the BT connection.
Larry
lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 10:46 AM   #5
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
I have had problems in the past with Jensen radios. That doesn't mean the newest ones are bad, but read any reviews before purchase.
We got a Pioneer with CD, USB, iPod interface, and all that stuff, with the exception of the weather band. It might have that, as well, but I haven't bothered looking for it. IIRC, it has 4 speaker outputs, with 25 watts per output.
Old 04-17-2014, 01:25 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Cat City , California
Sometimes those round switches that look like knobs are not really knobs- the just move slightly left/right or up/down one click.
------------------
I contacted Jensen Tech Support to ask about the knobs. Bummer if they too are just buttons. I might have to revert to a radio from the late 80s or early 90s.

Re: CDs. Uh yeah, I guess if you want to light up a whole other device to play a CD the BluRay is ok. But really, a radio head with a CDP is a pretty common and standard thing. At least it used to be.
Old 04-17-2014, 01:28 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
I think you could learn how to use the Sony, but if you are dead set on getting rid of it, don't run over it with your Suburban.
I'll be first in line to take it.
TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955
Old 04-17-2014, 01:28 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Cat City , California
There's pretty much NOTHING on the face of this which I don't understand completely without looking at the manual. Makes perfect sense to me.
Old 04-17-2014, 01:33 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
It has an actual power button...
The amplifier section won't be as good and the sound quality won't be as good.
It mounts the same way, just bigger- double DIN-
It still has a sleeve which is installed first and then the unit snaps into the sleeve- after the hole is cut out twice as big...
TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955
Old 04-17-2014, 01:52 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
Folsom , California
just curious how you evaluate the amp / sound quality? what criteria / data to look at?

Aluminumbskull with Led Balloon in Drag
Birch Plywood and Aluminum go together like
Peanut Butter and Chocolate
MarkR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 02:28 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
One way to evaluate the sound quality is by ear and personal preference. Which one has a more full range sound, frequency response, less distortion?
The specifications can be seen in publications like "Car Stereo Review".
30+ years of building custom car stereos-
"Premium" brands- Alpine, Pioneer, Sony- will generally sound better than "bargain" brands- Audiovox, Craig, Jensen-
I'm sure there are even car stereo reviews online.
It's just like tires or weight distributing hitches or travel trailers- some are better than others-
If you are not a music freak sound quality might not matter.
TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955
Old 04-17-2014, 02:35 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
Folsom , California
sorry to "butt in" but is there an Alpine, Pioneer or Sony that has an "integrated" AM/FM Radio and DVD Player . . . when I "google" it I get buried in brands other than Alpine, Pioneer and Sony . . . should I purchase separate components? OK, now I've really hi-jacked this from the O.P. - sorry

Aluminumbskull with Led Balloon in Drag
Birch Plywood and Aluminum go together like
Peanut Butter and Chocolate
MarkR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 02:35 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Next time you are in Walmart or Best Buy, listen to all the car stereos on display one at a time and compare/decide for yourself.
Also look for a comparison of specifications online or pick up a "Car Stereo Review Buyer's Guide" to compare specs side by side paying particular attention to frequency response and total harmonic distortion.
TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955
Old 04-17-2014, 02:39 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Yes, all brands have those features. I have Alpine (my personal preference) in both of my cars. The one in my Tundra has CD, DVD, navigation, MP3, iPod, AM, FM, SiriusXM, and reverse camera. It is CD, DVD, navigation, MP3, iPod, AM, and FM stock or out of the box. Satellite radio and rear view camera are added on. There are comparable Pioneers, Sonys, and Kenwoods as well.
TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955
Old 04-17-2014, 02:45 PM   #15
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsbrodsky View Post
It is not going to fit in your factory provided cutout and the only front panel input is a 3.5mm Aux. The iPod connector is on the back as are RCA inputs and other stuff.
There is a USB input right beside the 'Aux' in. Inputs on the back can easily be brought 'up front'.

I agree that there is no less need for the Owner's Manual, either with this, or any other modern 'head' I have seen.

Don't be in too much of a rush to dump the Sony...
Old 04-17-2014, 02:53 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
And if you are dead set on ditching it I will PM you my address.
Please don't run over it with the Suburban...
TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955
Old 04-17-2014, 03:43 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
m.hony, I think you will find that single din units that have built in dvd capacity are very hard to come by. I have a 2006 and in 2009 I was thinking of replacing my unit. I went to a store and they had a very nice Kenwood. They told me how to actually use the remote and I have been using my original Sony ever since. Just recently it gave up the ghost and I went back to the same store and was informed that none of the top line companies carry a single din unit that I need.

To complicate matters, Airstream has changed over to separate Blue Ray dvd players which makes the current wiring non compatible with these older units. I am in the process of looking and have found a Sony, a Jensen and the Acoustik PD-344 that Walmart carries. I am currently researching the Acoustik because I have been told that both Sony and Jensen are not the most dependable brands out there. On the other hand, how often do I actually use this thing? Not often, so I will get something that works and not worry about the brand name so much.

In 2006 they used RCA connectors and today most units come with S video out ports which would require some sort of adapter cable if they make such a thing. Otherwise, I am in trouble. Any suggestions?
aftermath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 04:10 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
In the two years I have owned my AS I have upgraded the radio twice. The first one was ok but hard to operate (IMO) so this year I got the Pioneer DEH-X9600BHS:

There is quite a bit changing in the car stereo world. I chose to stay with a CD Reciever but with full-dot matrix display, Bluetooth, HD radio, Pandora, SiriusXM, iPhone/Android Compatible, Siri Eyes Free (voice command)- 3 hi volt outputs. I have not seen one with weather band but I would suggest one of those Asian multi-power optioned radios- wind up, battery, solar, electric for weather (Kaito Voyager Pro) as they are like an electronic swiss army knife- reading light, flash light, Temperature/humidity alarm clock, radio - AM/FM/SW/Weather

The display on the pioneer is really nice. It is basically the entire front area which allows for large text and images. The front drops down to give access to the CD slot. The USB port is in the rear so I purchased the accessory cord that I have routed inside the locker.

I contacted Airstream about AV and was told that I would be better to treat the radio 12v system separate from AV 110 with TV, etc. So I have gone that route.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	KA600MM.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	72.5 KB
ID:	209865  
Attached Images

Old 04-17-2014, 04:55 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
Viewing a DVD?

So, Rodsterinfl, how do you view a dvd on your tv? I was told that many are going to a system where you purchase a portable dvd player and hook that directly into your tv. Where you place it was never mentioned.
aftermath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 04:58 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
Message after my message

I failed to get to the point in my previous post other than to mention Airstream's suggestion.

I would consider going with two AV routes. That way you would not be limited to one or two products. With a dedicated 110v audio video (TV, Blueray, powered, sound bar/subwoofer) and a 12V radio, bluetooth, built-in system.

My model has a credenza. Beneath the tv in the cabinet there is a bluetooth player and HDMI switcher for use with the bedroom tv. Since I do not have an AV locker like many models I had to improvise. I view movies with a direct HDMI connection to the TV.

Note too the el cheapo sound bar on the top. (Walmart about $90) with sub. It works perfect for the situation.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0097.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	299.3 KB
ID:	209869   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0095.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	322.9 KB
ID:	209871