Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-20-2019, 05:51 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2019 27' Tommy Bahama
Ocean Pines , Maryland
Nice To Have Items

My wife and I will be picking up our 2019 Tommy Bahama on Wednesday from Camper's World in Ashland, Virginia on Wednesday. We get a 10% discount on any items purchased at the store. Are there any must have items or even nice-to-have items that we should consider purchasing? Any suggestions would be most welcome.
Docbutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 06:24 PM   #2
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
You should get a free startup kit. Check out what comes in that and build on it. Emergency flares (battery, flag and reflectors); a set of 120V adapters - 20A, 30A, 50A; and a surge supressor is nice to have if your model does not have one standard. A city water pressure regulator that is adjustable and has a pressure gauge is good to use. A 90 degree brass city water hose adapter takes the strain off the hose connection. A clear plastic section lets you see what is going down the sewer when you dump is advised. Gloves for handling icki stuff. A set of tire chocks is a must. Some type of leveling block system is also a must. An outside matt makes sitting on dirt a better experience. A stack of paper plates, a box of big and small garbage bags, bungee cords, and an inventory of Ziplocks are all going to get used. A bottle jack, a torque wrench for the lug nuts, a tire pressure gauge, a basic tool kit with hand wrenches, pliers, hammer, screw drivers all will get used someday. A set of medium size plastic boxes help organize gear for loading and storage. Some lubricant, grease (small grease gun), glue, fuses, and spare screws, rivets (rivet set tool), spare hose gaskets, a sewer cap, and zip ties will help. Two 1000 lumen LED flashlights, a pair of pop-up LED lanterns, foldable water jugs, chairs, carry bags, extra fire extinguishers, and ........... all that other stuff. Pat

Lots of old stuff from the house can be used until you know exactly what you want. It's also fun to pick up items from places you visit. Since it's glamping, you can replace the used stuff with china and nice glassware when you get to a point where nothing is getting broken.
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 06:34 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1969 18' Caravel
Greenville , whereEverIroam
PKI forgot to mention the pair of plastic pink flamingos.
skyguyscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 06:41 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Salem , Oregon
I think you can forget the grease gun. I know of nothing to grease with a grease gun on my trailer. Also unless you are doing major repairs you will not need a rivet gun at least not to start.

You will want some disposable gloves for the sewer duties.

Dave
NoResults is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 07:01 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2018 19' Flying Cloud
Newport , Washington
If you plan on doing any boon docking you may want to pick up a 5 gallon water can. We have found that about the last day in one spot we need just a tad more water and it's easier to haul 5 gallons to the trailer than it is to move the trailer to wherever the spigot is located.

Also we keep a small Rubbermaid step stool in the back of the TV. Makes it much easier to reach those pesky little wheels on the awning.

If you are going to be in campgrounds that offer cable television you will want a chunk of coax cable, probably 15-20' long.

2018 Flying Cloud 19
2003 Dodge Ram 2500 Quad Cab Diesel
KelloggKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 07:15 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2019 30' International
Pennsylvania , Pennsylvania
We really like the Anderson levelers.

And the little ceramic heater we use is so nice, it warms the trailer on most evenings, and is quieter than the heat pumps running off and on.

I always plug in our progressive ems surge protector.

Toilet toss-ins, for the black tank.

Sometimes the urge is to buy too much stuff, then you find you don't use it.

2017 Ford CCSB F250 XLT 6.2L Gas 4x4 4:30 rear Leer Topper Ruby Red
2019 International Serenity 30 Rear Twin
majorairhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 08:21 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Albuquerque , New Mexico
I know you are trying to take advantage of the 10% discount when you pick up the trailer, but aside from the leveling blocks and perhaps a better sewer hose than what comes with the Airstream, I'd wait until you've lived in it for a while. After picking up our Flying Cloud, we went right out and bought all sorts of things from storage baskets to mops and brooms, even folding TV trays, thinking that we would need these things. To date, we've not used the TV trays and we've found other things to keep the trailer clean. As for the storage boxes, half of them are going unused. Like I said, live in your new trailer for a few trips and then start making a list.
abqdor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 09:07 PM   #8
Trailer Sold, Waving

2019 26' Flying Cloud
Stettler , Alberta
Dealer should provide a good hitch lock.
You will need a large torque wrench and appropriate socket and extension to torque the trailer wheel nuts.
I use X-chocks. I have one, intend to buy another.
Anderson levelers.
An extra awning tool is nice to have. I am always fearful the one will break.
Get a real estate lockbox. Put your spare set of keys in it, and lock it inside the propane tank cover.

When you take delivery, if you have a table, check the height. Is it comfortable ergonomically? My FC table was too high - dealer took two inches off the posts.

Congrats and enjoy. See you on the road.
WBCCI #6679
Acheron2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 10:05 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Wheaton , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by abqdor View Post
I know you are trying to take advantage of the 10% discount when you pick up the trailer, but aside from the leveling blocks and perhaps a better sewer hose than what comes with the Airstream, I'd wait until you've lived in it for a while.

Agreed. Plus, a 10% discount at Camping World is really not all that great, as I find their items over priced.

Greg
greghoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 10:12 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Moss Point , Mississippi
Something not mentioned are the little screens to cover the heater and water heater external vents. Very useful to keep wasps from deciding those are nice places to put their nest...
Dave-n-Janet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 10:31 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2021 25' Globetrotter
Poulsbo , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Docbutch View Post
My wife and I will be picking up our 2019 Tommy Bahama on Wednesday from Camper's World in Ashland, Virginia on Wednesday. We get a 10% discount on any items purchased at the store. Are there any must have items or even nice-to-have items that we should consider purchasing? Any suggestions would be most welcome.
If you are getting a Blue Ox WDH with your new Air Stream, then there is one tool that you might find to be helpful: a breaker bar with a 1 inch socket (long socket is best). The little wrench that comes with the hitch is a nightmare to use and dangerous because of the small size and potential for injury. I purchased my breaker bar on Amazon and the socket at Home Depot. This was actually a suggestion posted on a previous forum, and one of the most helpful.

------------------------------------
2017 FC 25 RTB
2017 F150 Lariat with Tech and Max Towing
dford77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 10:51 AM   #12
BoatnutG2

2015 28' Flying Cloud
2023 23' Flying Cloud
2013 Interstate Coach
Huntington Beach , California
The best “nice to have” I feel is a rechargeable screwdriver with a socket dedicated to raising and lowering the stabilizing jacks. Just be careful you can really get whacked.
BoatNutG2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 11:53 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2019 30' Classic
LEES SUMMIT , Missouri
Wheel chock lock

Congratulations on the new AS !! I also bought a TCL 75 wheel chock lock in addition to the hitch lock. It gives me peace of mind.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tcl75 wheel chock lock.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	16.3 KB
ID:	338741  
dechampion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 11:57 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1962 22' Safari
Yreka , California
I agree with some of the responses above.... buy the minimum, like chalks, gloves for sewer, etc. go camping... maybe in your driveway or close by home, see what you think you might need. Use the KISS method. (Keep it simple, silly....)

I find after 14 years with our Airstream, each spring I completely go through our trailer and remove stuff I haven't used.... less weight to tow, easier to find things, and less effort on my part! Try and keep everything that can be used for more than one purpose.... I learned that sailing... concentrate on safety items first, and basic needs for towing and setting up. Go out and have fun!
CaddyGrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 12:36 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2007 27' Classic FB
Ridgefield , Washington
A couple of lawn chairs. Preferably with the small attached fold up table. Also, an outdoor type carpet. Some basic tools and dishes. (We prefer the Corelle)
Old 04-21-2019, 12:39 PM   #16
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
One important item that I forgot was a grill for outside cooking. It does take some research to get that choice right, but do not be without one.

The Anderson type levelers are available from other mfgs. Look for the black ones. A vist to the thread on "Defacement of Corona Arch" will give you some background.

The reason for the grease gun is hitch and ball lubrication. You may not find the gun necessary, depending on your rig, but do lubricate the ball. Also, remove the hitch shank when not in use. Your shins will thank you and your TV will be shorter in tight parking spaces.

A type of cloth or paper towel is handy to degrease items. A bag is a good storage method for items which have been greased.

The rivet gun/set tool is needed to replace popped rivets that you find after use. It may be necessary to also have a drill and appropriate bits. The alternative is to ignore the problem and periodically have a mobile technician or dealer do the replacement. Some rivets require furniture removal for access, so it is not always a trivial task. Most issues have more than one solution. DIY is less expensive, but does require specific skill, knowledge and ability if one is to deliver a satisfactory result.

Another set of gear is the material necessary to perform a periodic wash and wax to keep the exterior clean and shiny.

Good Luck and post back the items you found to be must haves that we missed. It's an ongoing exercise that tunes your gear to preference as your RV lifestyle changes each year. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 12:53 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Washington , Washington, D.C.
The Almost Complete Book on Maintaining Your Airstream (or a title very close to that) is a great starting point as to what you might want to take along.
PatLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 03:09 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

Induction Cooker

When I bought an induction cooktop (mine is Duxtop, but any brand works) I thought to bring it when camping.

Two great uses: [assume you have minimum hookups]
1. We always use it to heat dishwater in a 6 qt stainless stockpot- it is sooo much faster than stove top. We don't keep our water heater hot except for showers.

2. Great for cast iron skillet to sear a steak, etc.

We keep our induction cooker on the top shelf in the hanging closet.

I agree with others - get the basic stuff mentioned above and add / subtract as you go.
Sav'h Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 07:15 AM   #19
2 Rivet Member

2004 25' Safari
Fort Collins , Colorado
Outside Dining

One of the most valuable items that we bought at Camping World, and use regularly, is a pair of black rubber picnic table bungees for about $7.00. They fit even the thickest picnic tables that you find in national parks. If you like to eat outside, these keep your tablecloth on the table in blowing rain and strong winds. Even better, get oilcloth by the yard at Walmart for your tablecloth and use the bungees to keep it secure.
Natomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 08:38 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
Some type of level so you can level your trailer in the campsite. We have a big one on the front of the trailer. Others are smaller or are inside. It's all in what you can use the easiest. And, of course, leveling blocks. We used wood boards for years. Now we use (now I can't think of the name.... curved ones you drive up on and chock) Takes practice. Start with simple, work up. Use the Lego style ones for under your stabilizers.
Rain gear. Hard to hitch up/unhitch in blowing rain holding an umbrella.
Drawer liners to keep things in place when you're traveling. I use the thick rubbery type ones for the best nonskid.
You'll figure more or less out as you use the trailer. Keep a pen and paper in the trailer for lists of things to do and get while you're camping.

Kay
Minno is offline   Reply With Quote