Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-21-2016, 09:13 AM   #41
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Go ahead and buy a new one.
Having yours eyes wide open will make it a doable experience.
I entered the deal thinking i would be getting a near perfect trailer based on the general perception that Airstream trailers are the best.
That's what everybody says, and it may be true.
I was very disappointed to say the least because I wasn't expecting anything to be wrong with the most expensive thing I have ever bought in my life.
Just being aware is a good thing.
I was not aware.
Your disappointment level will be much less than mine for being aware.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 10:01 AM   #42
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
Not sure I can agree with that logic. If I buy something new that costs that much money, I expect it to be perfect. The warranty should be for things that break, not things that were not done correctly from the factory.
I am glad that I did not end up buying new and that my trailer has had few problems. But, I would never buy one new after what I have learned. Why throw the dice? Most people would never accept that sort of uncertainty in quality from a car costing that much and should not have to roll the dice when buying a travel trailer.
Larry
lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 10:51 AM   #43
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Jupiter , Florida
You know, you can actually check out a new AS trailer before you buy it. I suspect you're rolling the dice to an extent whether you buy new or used. There's nothing wrong with buying new if that's your preference. We did, and we are happy we did.
SeaLevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 11:51 AM   #44
3 Rivet Member

1973 31' Excella 500
Vicksburg , Mississippi
Devil's Advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsbrodsky
If I buy something new that costs that much money, I expect it to be perfect. The warranty should be for things that break, not things that were not done correctly from the factory.
Larry
Larry, you hit the nail on the head!

When your product cost exponentially more than the competition "Other brands have problems too" is no excuse for poor quality control.
Airstreams really don't developed problems, they're born with them.
The only way I'd buy a new Airstream is if they sold it as a kit.

To the author of this thread I'd recommend against buying a new Airstream, especially if it is your first camper and you aren't planning on full timing.

The depreciation hit from driving it off the lot will almost buy a used conventional camper.
You can buy a conventional camper AND build a roof to cover it for the price of an Airstream. Water intrusion is the enemy.

Most conventional campers use a one piece sheet of rubber for the roof and they can deteriorate and get damaged. Airstream uses several aluminum panels and a bunch of rivets. Lots of chances for problems and more expensive.
The difference is that when airstreams leak the only thing to rot is the floor. The ribs and interior skin are aluminum. This is why you see so many old airstreams still kicking and why they are worth the time and money to restore.

As for looks, it's not even close. Airstream wins. Towing quality also, they pull great.

Consider this analogy: Do you need a Mercedes or a Honda? Both will get you from point A to point B.
One will cost more to buy and own but you'll look better and be more comfortable in it.

Good luck and happy camping!
Al Boondy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 11:58 AM   #45
Rivet Master

2017 25' International
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Los Osos , California
We've recently upgraded to a 2017 25FB International from a 2014 23D International.

The 23D was flawless and served us well for 2 years. We've had the 25FB for 2 weeks and have spent a bunch of time in it. We haven't detected any mechanical flaws. However, I don't like the fit and finish of the aluminum angle iron around the cabinets and bathroom door window. That is not the kind of fix that I'd entrust to a dealer's staff.

It is very important that you try EVERYTHING before you take delivery and make sure that your post-sale walk-through check sheet is comprehensive. Take it slow and don't let the tech rush through the walk-through process. Dealers normally have their technicians go over the trailer, pre-sale but they occasionally miss things.

So no, I don't believe that Airstream quality has suffered during their growth period. They are hand made and people are people, so there are bound to be glitches here and there.
Old 09-21-2016, 03:45 PM   #46
TravelswithCharley

2017 22' Sport
Phoenix , Arizona
I bought a new 22'Sport just 2 weeks ago, so I understand totally when you talk about the 'should I shouldn't I" self talk. Its a big decision. But I say go for it. With the comfort of having a 2 year warranty, you can take your time getting to know the trailer and it's workings, and feel confident that any issues will get dealt with. Ive already found a couple of small items, and the dealer is very chill about it. When I have a bit more of a list, they will come to my property and do the repairs then and there. Sweet! my insecurities are currently more to do with learning how to safely tow and maintain the trailer myself. I bought a towing vehicle last weekend, and just need a hitch, plus whatever anti-sway /weight distribution setup is needed (this will be the subject of a separate post shortly). Then I'll be pulling away for the first time onto the road. I say feel the fear, and do it anyway. Have an awesome journey.
Marygb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 07:14 PM   #47
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
Hello marygb, welcome to the Airstream community. Your post is right on topic. It is a huge spending decision, and I'm sure there are days of buyer's remorse. It's nice you have a responsive dealer. But overall it will be much fun to get out and travel this beautiful country of ours.

These Forums will help you understand answers to your questions. There is a lot to learn. I learned it and you can too. Take a look at Airstream Life's newbie book referenced here. It is a place to start your learning process.

http://store.airstreamlife.com/colle...o-airstreaming

We all learn by doing. You will feel clumsy at first, but it will come. And remember most RV parks are filled with good people that are willing to help you out.

David
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 08:12 PM   #48
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
I think it is great some people have had no or few problems. We had about 60 warranty issues during the two year period. The dealer damaged our trailer and so we had the rest of the warranty work done 1,400 miles away at the Airstream Service Cemter. They did an great job fixing things. I don't say this because I like complaining but because we had a trailer with poor workmanship, cheap parts and the dealer didn't do the dealer prep work Airstream pays them to do. As someone posted above, some people have problems, some don't. Quality control is very inconsistent.

There is a website that rates RV reliability and how much people like them. I wish I could remember the website's name, but it can be Goggled. Airstream comes out about average if you discount ratings on design. The design was created generations ago and Thor, which bought the company around 1980, not 2002, has not contributed anything substantial to it. Most Thor products get poor to average ratings. There are RV's that get better ratings than Airstream.

Unfortunately standards in the RV industry are much lower than those for cars and trucks.

We bought new because we didn't know anything and wanted something problem free. We should have taken more time and bought a recent model used one. By then many of the problems have been fixed and the price is a lot less. There's a lot more work to buying from an individual far away, but if you have the time and do the research, you'll save a lot.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 07:27 PM   #49
3 Rivet Member

2017 16' Sport
Vernon , Arizona
Everyone keeps on talking about the "Depreciation Hit". I have been searching for a used 16' or 22' Bambi for the last year and the cost analysis shows that a brand new one is the same price as a used one.

Cost of trailer: MAYBE I can get a couple thousand dollar savings. Most people on Airstream Classifieds is MORE expensive than a new one of the same year/model/accessories

New functionality: Solar connector at batteries (would have to figure it out). Aluminum cover for the propane tanks - would have to pay for it.

New Stuff: Back bumper, rock guards, auto jack (extra regardless of what I buy)

Financing: This is where the game comes in. A new trailer can be financed at a lower percentage rate than a used trailer. (love those tax right offs for the interest)

Trade in Allowance: Trade in numbers fluctuate by how much you are buying. Buying new, better trade in allowance

Stuff thrown in: Discount numbers on accessories fluctuate by what you are buying.

Relationship with your local dealership: Invaluable and when you buy a new one, that relationship goes up.

I was running the numbers on a used 2015, new 2016 or a brand new 2017 (16'). Surprisingly, my monthly payments were LOWER on the 2017 (note a 40% down on the vehicle and Excellent credit) and the exact same accessories.

Oh and I get a 2 year new warranty and I am buying, hopefully, for life.

Someone needs to explain to me this depreciation hit everyone is talking about.

Tara
MsTara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 07:42 PM   #50
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
I have owned two Airstreams. If I could afford it I would have a new 26U parked in my driveway. The ones I have looked closely at were absolutely beautiful with outstanding fit and finish inside and out. That time may still come if I can ever sell my house.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 07:56 PM   #51
4 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Gold Country , California
It seems like there are a few people on this forum that like to trash anything airstream has built since Thor purchased it. To those people I ask;

1) Please be specific. You throw around a lot of accusations, please expound on what you mean when you decry the current quality. It would be much more helpful.

2) Please get your dates straight. I've read anything from 2001 until 2013 as being approved (pre-Thor). It's confusing and makes me distrust your enlightenment.

Thank you,
Matt
NorCal Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 08:06 PM   #52
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Matt View Post
It seems like there are a few people on this forum that like to trash anything airstream has built since Thor purchased it. To those people I ask;

1) Please be specific. You throw around a lot of accusations, please expound on what you mean when you decry the current quality. It would be much more helpful.

2) Please get your dates straight. I've read anything from 2001 until 2013 as being approved (pre-Thor). It's confusing and makes me distrust your enlightenment.

Thank you,
Matt
Keep in mind that this isn't a debate forum. Everyone is entitled to their opinion and your tone is a little confrontational. Rule #1, be friendly. Lucky we're not talking the Beatrice years...
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 08:25 PM   #53
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsTara View Post
Everyone keeps on talking about the "Depreciation Hit". I have been searching for a used 16' or 22' Bambi for the last year and the cost analysis shows that a brand new one is the same price as a used one.

Cost of trailer: MAYBE I can get a couple thousand dollar savings. Most people on Airstream Classifieds is MORE expensive than a new one of the same year/model/accessories

New functionality: Solar connector at batteries (would have to figure it out). Aluminum cover for the propane tanks - would have to pay for it.

Financing: This is where the game comes in. A new trailer can be financed at a lower percentage rate than a used trailer. (love those tax right offs for the interest)

Trade in Allowance: Trade in numbers fluctuate by how much you are buying. Buying new, better trade in allowance

Stuff thrown in: Discount numbers on accessories fluctuate by what you are buying.

Relationship with your local dealership: Invaluable and when you buy a new one, that relationship goes up.

I was running the numbers on a used 2015, new 2016 or a brand new 2017 (16'). Surprisingly, my monthly payments were LOWER on the 2017 (note a 40% down on the vehicle and Excellent credit) and the exact same accessories.

Tara

That happens with cars, too.
New Avalon $28,000 and 0% financing-
1 year old Avalon $26,000 and 2.9% and smells like cigarettes...

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 08:26 PM   #54
Rivet Master

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:

Thank you,
Matt
It's best to ignore them. Some folks do provide some examples, but others are just not happy with Airstream, so anything Airstream is bad. Take it for what it is- an Internet forum where people come share their opinions.

It's a shame because some people read these opinions and accept them as fact. Well, that's on them. You should be very careful of what you read on the internet. Some of it might not be true!
2014 Airstream Flying Cloud 30 Recliner - WBCCI #4850 - AIR #110821
2018 Nissan Armada SL Tow Vehicle, Equal-i-zer Hitch
Visit Our Flying Cloud blog for my latest adventure!
FCStreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 08:36 PM   #55
4 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Gold Country , California
I didn't mean it confrontationally, but I feel like if you make sweeping statements, you should at least hint at backing it up. This is from someone who has only owned Thor products. I really don't know to what you are referring. I'm willing to hear it.

Personally, I haven't found anything that comes close. Good luck to the OP!
NorCal Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 09:29 PM   #56
3 Rivet Member

2017 16' Sport
Vernon , Arizona
Quote:
I didn't mean it confrontationally, but I feel like if you make sweeping statements, you should at least hint at backing it up. This is from someone who has only owned Thor products. I really don't know to what you are referring. I'm willing to hear it.

Personally, I haven't found anything that comes close. Good luck to the OP!
Interesting that you say that. I own a Class A - 2004 Damon Daybreak. This RV (SOB) is perfect and I have had zero issues since I bought it (it was used). I am now contemplating an Airstream (I am not a Class A sort of girl) and I have been though about 25 different ones trying to understand what will work best for me. They are beautiful and seem to be amazing quality. I have walked through multiple other SOB's and they feel 'cheap' (note my opinion only). Do I believe there is a LARGE possibility something will need to be repaired? Yes I do. Of course my 2016 Porsche also had multiple items that needed to be repaired on it (including multiple annoying rattles). I also had a couple of issues where the car was in for repair for over 2 weeks each (I had a bad manufacturing day). The car has been repaired and runs beautifully. 99% of Porsche owners have zero problems, I got one of the ones that had issues. BTW, I love my Porsche and would buy another one in a heartbeat.

I wonder how many of people's negative experiences is based more on "bad dealership" or on "bad attitude"?
Old 09-22-2016, 11:19 PM   #57
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2013 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2012 20' Flying Cloud
Small Town , *** Big Sky Country ***Western Montana
The other brands likely have the same failures / rate - at least from our previous experience - that holds true. The AS we have owned have had their own set of problems, but the mother ship and dealer stood behind them ...the same can't be said of our experience with SOBs. If we needed another, we'd buy AS again! WE hope to keep this until our funerals. Are AS too big to be buried in??? LOL
Terminal Aluminitis; 2-people w/ 3+ dogs
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 05:34 AM   #58
2 Rivet Member

san jose , California
I was in the same position

Quote:

Tara
I was in the same boat as you (new vs used) and for me it came down to this huge selling point of the slightly older 16's vs new. The new 16's have a small window in the back and since most of the sites I would go to were back-in sites, view was criteria #1. I looked out the back of a new as well as a used (with panoramic windows and was immediately sold on the panoramic view.

At the end of the day; you can't go wrong with either, it comes down to preferences. Happy Shopping.
vis0rd0wn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 08:03 AM   #59
3 Rivet Member

2017 16' Sport
Vernon , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by vis0rd0wn View Post
I was in the same boat as you (new vs used) and for me it came down to this huge selling point of the slightly older 16's vs new. The new 16's have a small window in the back and since most of the sites I would go to were back-in sites, view was criteria #1. I looked out the back of a new as well as a used (with panoramic windows and was immediately sold on the panoramic view.

At the end of the day; you can't go wrong with either, it comes down to preferences. Happy Shopping.
The double panorama are so very rare. I have seen a couple cross the sales sites. There is one I was eyeing but it sold so quickly.

Do you have the dark wood inside yours? One of my main reasons for passing on a couple of the 16' dual panoramas is they look so very dark inside.

Thoughts?
Old 09-23-2016, 10:11 AM   #60
3 Rivet Member

2015 27' FB International
Wheatley , Ontario
Quote:

Tara
ha....I can only agree, some AS owners in the Classifieds are asking more or less the same than a new one would sell for (figuring in an almost guaranteed 20% off the retail price). Go figure...
lovetokite is offline   Reply With Quote