Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-29-2016, 07:38 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1977 23' Safari
Niagara on the Lake , Ontario
We started with a trillium trailer, 13' of 1977 vintage fibreglass. I forget the exact weight but two guys could move it around and we towed it with my wife's Pontiac G6 and my dads wrangler. It was a great way to learn about Rving and get our feet wet without a significant financial risk. After years of camping we decided it was time to move up and sold the trillium at a profit and bought our 1977 safari
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1459301819.818812.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	530.2 KB
ID:	259616
I did consider painting it silver and putting airstream emblems on it
AldeanFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 07:55 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Jupiter , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lets go View Post
SeaLevel; Have you camped at Ft. Pickens yet? If so, how was it? We are going there in 2 weeks for 7 days.
Nope. I'd never even heard of it before now, since we've been focused mainly on the state parks. It sure looks interesting though, so we might need to check it out sometime. That part of FL is about 6-8 hours away from where we live, but we are considering a trip to the panhandle during next years spring break. We aren't retired yet, but my wife works at a local elementary school, so she gets that week off in the spring. Hope you enjoy it!
SeaLevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 03:48 AM   #23

Jupiter , Florida
A plan

Thank you all for all this great insight.

I know I need are real tow vehicle. Most likely a Ford Or Dodge diesel pickup.

I will go to a dealer and be further educated and acclimated to the Airstream product line.

I don't think I will be happy with the size of a sport for the "long run". I think I will be in the slightly larger category.

"restoration" is not an option at this point. Small repairs on a gently used airstream will be about it.
linko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 06:15 AM   #24
4 Rivet Member

2000 30' Excella
2014 30' Classic
Princeton , Iowa
Your Escape will pull a Babe all over, just go slow. A Great place to start is the book (The newbies guide to Airstreming). Also his book on repairs.

Welcome and good luck.
larryglarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 07:01 AM   #25
4 Rivet Member

1979 31' Sovereign
Spring , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnArborBob View Post
I am not aware of any upcoming fiberglass Airstream trailer, but you might look into Casita and Scamp trailers. They are lightweight, "Airstream-like" in their appearance and quite popular.
The new Airstream may not be a fiberglass trailer. It's just mentioned briefly at the end of Airstream Life's fiberglass trailer article. (Spring 2016) The company will only reveal that it won't have a traditional aluminum shell, but will still be recognizable as an Airstream. The magazine speculated there may be some fiberglass elements.
Starstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 07:38 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by linko View Post
. . .
I don't think I will be happy with the size of a sport for the "long run". I think I will be in the slightly larger category.
. . .
Sounds like the FC20 might fit the bill! Dry bath with stall shower and a great corner galley with two sinks. The best small AS IMO.

20-footer thread

Good luck!

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 07:57 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
but a Ford Escape is not enough tow vehicle for an FC20-
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 08:54 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Correct but the OP just said he knows he needs a new tow vehicle.
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 08:57 AM   #29
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Yep. The OP is going to the opposite end of the spectrum, though- a 3/4 ton diesel-
There are many happy mediums in the tow vehicle realm.
TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955
Old 03-30-2016, 09:11 AM   #30
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
Quote:
Thank you all for all this great insight.

I know I need are real tow vehicle. Most likely a Ford Or Dodge diesel pickup.
Nope, you don't need a diesel pickup, unless you are looking at a 34' and even then many folks are towing them with gas TV's.

The Escape may work fine for a light weight Airstream. Spend some time looking into setup requirements etc. If you want a heavier, larger Airstream there are many, many other options to choose from including many that are 6cyl gas. Best of luck with your journey.
Old 03-30-2016, 09:48 AM   #31
2 Rivet Member

1994 30' Excella
Kiefer , Oklahoma
Ford Escape v6 model should be able to tow an Airstream Basecamp.
Floatingair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 12:05 PM   #32
4 Rivet Member

1979 31' Sovereign
Spring , Texas
Before purchasing anything, it's always a good idea to do some virtual shopping using all the equipment you desire as a base line. Then start crunching numbers to see what really fits in your budget. If you get a different tow vehicle, you should call your insurance co. to see how much your monthly premium will change before you buy anything. Travel trailers should be insured too. Your car insurance may cover liability, but not a total loss, including the contents of your trailer. Check with Good Sam, Progressive or Geico. There may some others that forum members can recommend. There will be tax, title and license for both vehicles, whether you buy from a dealership or private party. Registration usually has to be renewed every year. (Our state requires inspection before renewal, including our trailer because it weighs more than 4,000 Lbs.)

Where will your trailer be kept? Do you have deed restrictions or city ordinances that will prohibit it from being stored on your property? How much time do you have for maintenance? Water is the enemy of all RVs. Anywhere there is an opening in the shell, or a seam, you have a potential leak. Just like a house, you should keep some money set aside in case something needs to be repaired.
Starstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 01:07 PM   #33
2 Rivet Member

1994 30' Excella
Kiefer , Oklahoma
Quote:
Thank you. I will take a look at the local dealer. 2 people and a week or two 5 - 6 times a year to start will be my plan.
Please, let us know which AS you like the most?
Floatingair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 01:21 PM   #34
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
I always advise people to carefully consider what they intend to do with their RV first, and let that guide them to the best choice. That includes # of people, pets, mobility issues, how often and how long, etc. The OP has done most of that.

One issue that the OP is now think about is what do you do when the weather keeps you inside. His Explorer simply can't tow a very big trailer, and he is realizing that now.

Budget and repair abilities are next on the list, and the OP has mentioned those points as well.

It sounds like you are really giving some serious thought to what you need, and that's the way to do it. I've always said that I'd rather ask a thousand questions before writing a large check than asking one question a thousand times afterward. Take your time, ask lots of questions, and you will eventually know what you need to get.

BTW, some people tell you to buy the trailer first, and then you will know what sort of truck you need. That works if you are just picking some trailer that looks good to you off of a dealer's lot. If you have a pretty good idea of how much the heaviest trailer you are considering weighs (gross weight, not empty weight), you can buy the truck first based on that weight. The new F150 line can be set up with some pretty impressive numbers, so it might be a good choice for the small-medium Airstreams. If you start looking at those 30' and longer you will probably want an F250 just for the peace of mind. The F150 would be near capacity with those heavier coaches.
1993 Foretravel U300 (sold)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS
kb0zke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 01:47 PM   #35
Rivet Master

1977 23' Safari
Niagara on the Lake , Ontario
Start by deciding what you will be using the trailer for.

My story
I went to the trailer show with my parents when I was thinking about a trailer for weekend trips and they were thinking about retiring and becoming snowbirds. We looked at a 25ft trailer and I really liked it, my father said it was far to small to spend the whole winter in. Next we looked at a 40ft 5th wheel that my parents really liked, I said it was far to big to tow and store for just a weekend away.
Our 13' Trillium was a great trailer for my wife and I when we camped for no more than 2 nights at a time, in the warm summer, and only traveled a few hours from home. Once we started traveling farther, and staying longer, and planning a family, we moved up to the 23' Safari we have now.

Once you know what you'll be using the trailer for you can decide what trailer you need. Next comes the tow vehicle.
I have friends that camp in a 1968 Ford motorhome with a straight 6 and 3 on the tree, but they only use it one weekend a year to go to a stock car race an hour from home and there are no big hills. If you're planning to tow a big trailer over lots of big mountains your choice of tow vehicle will be much more important.

The best advice I can give it to remember this is a hobby and a vacation, so don't stress out about tow ratings, hitches, length and seam leaks. Get informed enough to be safe and then get a trailer and go out and enjoy yourself!
AldeanFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 09:30 PM   #36
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Dear Otra15: Not my original thought but worth using as a mantra:

We all buy things emotionally, then justify them afterwards with logic.

Not me... or wait a minute... Oh crap.

If you need new sneakers and emotionally choose Orange over Navy blue that's no big deal. You might own some butt ugly sneakers but play in enough dirt and they'll tone down. When your emotions can destroy your peace of mind and stability - then you'd better face them - and make a brutally practical choice which most times is "Not Now" rather than "never".

Almost 3 years ago I wrecked. Airstream and tow vehicle both totaled. Both were several years old. I got a quite reasonable payment from insurance considering for the depreciated value of each of them. All in all it still left me about over $20K short of the cost of newer replacements. I'm at retirement age and I have a good reserve and no dependents. You have a "limited budget." Preserve your sanity and serenity and get something else that is affordable. Then hang with us, and work your way up to an Airsteam with a 3-5 year plan.

Now that you're looking you're going to start seeing them everywhere - and a disturbing number are algae covered yard art because the owners lost interest or? Heck, I ended up with my Eddie Bauer because 24 hours after I told the forum about the rollover, Patrick Botticelli called me from Colonial Airstream. An EB a doctor had bought 9 months earlier was being shipped back in. The doctor who got it on a whim either never had time to use it, or perhaps didn't realize it didn't come with a valet to service it. He could eat the loss, I could enjoy his reject, no one suffered too much.
Hang around, visit a rally or two. Learn that the joy is in the adventure and the memories and the friends. The Airstream is icing on the cake, but not essential. And while you're looking we'll help you search, and celebrate when you find the one.

You can buy a beautiful new car that you just adore - and wash, wax and detail at every opportunity... now go forward 20 months. You own "Transportation" and have 55 more payments to make. I'd had my first stream for 2 weeks when a woman had to sell a new $300K Prevost for half off because her husband had stroked out. It was painful to see in every way.

If you have a limited budget - live within it. When you can afford to blow $50 - $70K, you'll be a lot more likely to find the right one the first time out. BTW I'm on my third one, and now also own An Avion - vintage restored... going to be my "stay-cation" home in retirement.

Might put her on Lake Gaston for year one, but "Eddie" and I'll be in warm weather come November!

Paula
Old 03-31-2016, 03:54 AM   #37

Jupiter , Florida
I want to thank everyone for all their thoughtful comments.

I am a buy once kind of person. So I will research, talk, visit and see everything that's out there before I buy. I have time, so no rush.

I will buy a tow vehicle with as good gas millage as I can and research that one also. I suggested diesel as they do have impressive numbers. (actually all truck have gotten better in the past 5 years)

I landed on a AS because of the construction and hope it will give me lots of durable use and satisfaction. I have never been impressed with the box trailers and cheep looking components. that s what drew me to AS.

You all are very helpful and have already dispelled some thoughts I had and altered my (newbee) ideas.
linko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 04:07 AM   #38
1987 Avion 34W owner

Vintage Kin Owner
Good Ol' , USA
If you are looking for a nice, well-built trailer..... And, since you will be getting a pickup as a tow vehicle:
I would suggest expanding your search to a nicely-kept Avion. Being patient, you can find a nice, ready to use Avion for less than $10K, and not have to worry about the money pit of a restoration.

Patience + basic handyman skills = built-like-a-tank Avion.

You won't be disappointed.

PaulnGina
1987 Avion 34W
1995 Ford F250 7.3L PowerStroke

"I don't mean to sound degrading but with a face like that you got nothing to laugh about"
PaulnGina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 09:36 AM   #39
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Chelsea , Michigan
Quote:
I want to thank everyone for all their thoughtful comments.

I am a buy once kind of person. So I will research, talk, visit and see everything that's out there before I buy. I have time, so no rush.

I will buy a tow vehicle with as good gas millage as I can and research that one also. I suggested diesel as they do have impressive numbers. (actually all truck have gotten better in the past 5 years)

I landed on a AS because of the construction and hope it will give me lots of durable use and satisfaction. I have never been impressed with the box trailers and cheep looking components. that s what drew me to AS.

You all are very helpful and have already dispelled some thoughts I had and altered my (newbee) ideas.
It looks to me like you are going about this the proper way. Research, research and then more research. We went through a pretty extensive research process ourselves, and as a result bought the right trailer and tow vehicle the first time. Saved us a lot of money and heartache!

We were fortunate that our budget allowed us to buy both a new trailer and tow vehicle, but frankly, we could have saved tens of thousands of dollars by buying gently used examples of each. And guess what? After three years of extensive usage, we now own a gently used trailer and gently used tow vehicle! .

Just make sure that whatever you spend is comfortable for you. There is no need to get in a financial pickle with this purchase.

Enjoy!
Old 03-31-2016, 02:36 PM   #40
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Going to a big dealer with lots of inventory is helpful. Sit in the trailers. Envision yourself taking showers, using the bathroom, cooking, sleeping in each one. Go through the motions.
This will guide you in the right direction.
Decide whether or not you can deal with a "wet bath".
Decide which trim levels you like and which ones are just hideous.
This process pointed me to a very large trailer with a very traditional looking wood interior. Old timey/your grandpa's trailer may not appeal to everyone. Hauling a 30' house around may not appeal to everybody.
Then, after you have decide which trailer suits you best, the decision on tow vehicle can commence.
TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955