Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-04-2012, 02:51 PM   #1
Enthusiastic New AS'r

1985 31' Limited
Glenville , New York
Newb Question: Run frig on the road?

I'm guessing I can cool down the frig at home, fill it before we leave for the weekend and if it's a short trip turn the frig off and fire it back up when we get to the site. Orrrrrr....can I keep it running on propane while I'm on the road to destination?

Mark
Old 06-04-2012, 02:55 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2015 27' Flying Cloud
2011 30' International
mooresburg , Tennessee
you will get all different answers. I run mine on the road. have had lots of trailers and never had a problem. I am sure there could be problems , but so far I have been lucky
gtc6452 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 03:02 PM   #3
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
They are made to run while driving.

Some people think the igniter could ignite gas fumes while filling up. You would have to have a big gas spill on a hot day with fumes everywhere and that is unlikely. I don't think anyone has shown a fridge has ever ignited gas fumes.

We leave ours on.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 03:18 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
I travel with mine running. The risk of static electricity igniting gas fumes is much higher than the refer burner.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 03:19 PM   #5
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
They are made to run while driving.

Some people think the igniter could ignite gas fumes while filling up. You would have to have a big gas spill on a hot day with fumes everywhere and that is unlikely. I don't think anyone has shown a fridge has ever ignited gas fumes.

We leave ours on.

Gene
I will have to dig but there was at least one that I am aware of. It occurred in WV, IIRC they determined that the pilot light on a gas refrigerator in a pick up camper sparked the explosion. There were several mitigating circumstances, one of them being a fairly substantial fuel spill due to some one locking a nozzle open and walking away from it.

I always try to refuel without the trailer attached, or if necessary pull to one side and shut the fridge down prior to the refuel. FWIW I have a diesel tow vehicle, but quite often have to fill up near the gas pumps.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 03:23 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
I always have run with it lit, and always will ('cept on bridges and tunnels with explicit regs.)

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 03:32 PM   #7

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
I run lit also. Dependent upon what I see at a gas station, (position of my trailer, wind direction, other RV'ers, I may or may not shut down the pilot. For an example in some cases the trailer is not even close to a pump and the wind direction is such that the breeze is downstream of the trailer. In that type of case there is no way any fumes could reach the trailer, and I feel safe in keeping the fridge on. Obviously if my towing path takes me close to the pump, I'll turn off the gas. Typically I always stay clear of other RV'ers fueling. I'm not sure if they put as much concern as I do in the safety side of things.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 03:40 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
We're of the "leave it on" school.

If that makes you nervous, turn can it off before pumping gas...then pull away and turn it back on.

If you feel more comfortable with it off for the whole trip, you can pack the frig with cold or frozen items and run with it off...so long as it's not such a long tow that food items run the risk of spoiling.
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 03:53 PM   #9
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Ajo , Arizona
Same as above, run it on propane whilst crusing. The important thing, is to shut it down, (and the pilot light on the stove) before putting propane back in. The below pics happened, because of a leaking main shut-off and not shutting down the interiors.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1692fire.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	209.5 KB
ID:	160095   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1705fire.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	193.2 KB
ID:	160096  

Mike Leary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 03:57 PM   #10
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
If I see a big lake of gas by a pump, I'll drive away and go somewhere else. Most spills are small and evaporate fast. If the fumes were so thick the fridge igniter or pilot light could light the gas, you probably couldn't stand being there. If you smell such intensity, roll on through. Also, the fridge on ours is on the opposite side from the filler on the truck.

There may be more danger from spoiled food if running without the fridge on, or stopping at the entrance to the station to turn it on or off (blocking access, making it difficult for others to see traffic).

If it is a diesel spill, I doubt it could be lit. No where near the volatility of gas.

There are other reasons to be worried about a gas fire—static electricity being the primary one. Maybe the heat of a catalytic converter could ignite fumes under just the wrong circumstances. Considering the volatility of gas and the gazillions of fillups, it is surprising there are so few fires no matter what the cause.

Wahoonc, as soon as I wrote that I hadn't heard of a fire, I knew someone would find one.

Gene
Old 06-04-2012, 04:01 PM   #11
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Leary View Post
Same as above, run it on propane whilst crusing. The important thing, is to shut it down, (as also the pilot light on the stove) before putting propane back in. The below pics happened, because of a leaking main shut-off and not shutting down the interiors.
Mike, since the propane tank is usually away from the trailer when being filled, was this filled on the RV? Probably a good idea to park away from the fill station when getting propane from a dealer; at a campground they take them away on a gold cart.

Gene
Old 06-04-2012, 04:20 PM   #12
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Ajo , Arizona
Quote:
Mike, since the propane tank is usually away from the trailer when being filled, was this filled on the RV? Probably a good idea to park away from the fill station when getting propane from a dealer; at a campground they take them away on a gold cart.

Gene
With class A, B & C coaches, one has no option, plus most people are NOT going to unlatch their trailers when fueling. My feeling, after watching this insanity happen, is to get the pets out of the coach, as well. When we left Ajo, the insurance companies were still trying to figure out WHO was at fault. If the wind had not been coming out of the north, away from the propane and gas pumps, this could have been insanity central.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1700fire.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	173.6 KB
ID:	160102  
Old 06-04-2012, 04:28 PM   #13
WBCCI 1024,4CU

1985 31' Excella
Lake Havasu , Arizona
My 85 31' Excella has an IGNITION SWITCH override that turns off the pilot when the Tow Vhcl has been turned off ie, fueling and such. The function is a timer that keeps the pilot off for 20 minutes and than re-lights back into operation in the AES mode. What we have is a Dometic RM-3804 and it works like a champ and has been a dream for all of these years. The only thing we have replaced is the main board with a dinosaur (not that we needed it - just wanted to update the electronics) and I fabbed a new condensation tub due to the old being embrittled.
shivtik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 04:32 PM   #14
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Ajo , Arizona
Just don't forget the pilot light on the stove. We had the "smell" last year and finally tracked it down to the main shut-off, after we trusted some idiot "R.V. pro" to put in a new gas valve. For not, as it turned out. and we still leaked. I'm not sure how much "sniffers" cost, but I'm blown away that some "techs" don't have them.
Old 06-04-2012, 04:33 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1978 28' Ambassador
Morada , California
Run baby run... Got to keep the beer cold!

A much greater danger is a static spark when refilling plastic portable gas container when the operator doesn't place it on the ground... Filling those tanks inside your pickup bed or on the tailgate is a BIG no-no!!!!
Old 06-04-2012, 04:58 PM   #16
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
If I see a big lake of gas by a pump, I'll drive away and go somewhere else. Most spills are small and evaporate fast. If the fumes were so thick the fridge igniter or pilot light could light the gas, you probably couldn't stand being there. If you smell such intensity, roll on through. Also, the fridge on ours is on the opposite side from the filler on the truck.

There may be more danger from spoiled food if running without the fridge on, or stopping at the entrance to the station to turn it on or off (blocking access, making it difficult for others to see traffic).

If it is a diesel spill, I doubt it could be lit. No where near the volatility of gas.

There are other reasons to be worried about a gas fire—static electricity being the primary one. Maybe the heat of a catalytic converter could ignite fumes under just the wrong circumstances. Considering the volatility of gas and the gazillions of fillups, it is surprising there are so few fires no matter what the cause.

Wahoonc, as soon as I wrote that I hadn't heard of a fire, I knew someone would find one.

Gene
I haven't found the article yet, I have it saved on one of my old hard drives. If I recall the scenario correctly the pickup was at one island and had already refueled, the owner had gone in side to pay, the stuck open hose was on the other side of the island from the pickup with camper.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 09:00 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2013 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2012 20' Flying Cloud
Small Town , *** Big Sky Country ***Western Montana
We cool it down with AC and as much lead time as possible and then run with the propane on ... until refueling anywhere - when we shut it off before entering the fuel zone ... then, move away from fueling area and turn the refrigerator back on for down the road. Repeat as necessary ...
Terminal Aluminitis; 2-people w/ 3+ dogs
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 09:07 AM   #18
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
We cool it overnight before a trip. If the drive is only a couple of hours we leave it turned off and it will be very cold when we arrive. On longer trips we run it on propane on the road.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 11:38 AM   #19
2 Rivet Member

2006 19' International CCD
Hatboro , Pennsylvania
I like to live on the edge , run with it on
kipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 12:09 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
If I pre-cool mine down and then unplug I can go about 5 hours before it starts getting to warm to keep the ice frozen. By then it is starting to get too warm in the frig area to keep foods at a safe temp. If I can ever get the gas part working I am sure that I will fire that up for travel. It is not good to keep cooling, warming and then cooling foods too many times, IMO.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote