Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-05-2013, 05:57 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2012 27' FB Classic
Paso Robles , California
New AS Owner

My husband and I just purchased a Classic 28FB...it hasn't even been delivered yet. So excited! My parents own a 5th wheel, but I've never had any sort of motorhome or travel trailer so I'm a little overwhelmed by the prospect of "stocking" our trailer while staying within some sort of reasonable budget (I have *control issues* when it comes to this sort of thing....)
Anyway, we'll be using our AS for travel/camping but I'll also be using it as a "home away from home" when I work part time out of the area. Can anyone offer advice on kitchenware, etc, and/or essential must haves that are nice and lightweight, durable for travel and will provide homey creature comforts? I do love to cook and don't want to be wasteful by using paper plates, etc, while away from home.
Thanks!
Travelvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 08:13 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
You've got a beautiful Airstream there, congratulations and welcome aboard!

A good rule of thumb for camping equipment, take only what you need and leave half of that at home. Airstreams are especially tiny homes with precious little storage. You can be constantly overwhelmed with too much stuff, you'll be more successful "making do".

Things that do multiple purpose are excellent, for example a medium-sized quality dutch over can be used on the stovetop to brown a roast or boil potatoes, in the oven to bake, roast, or slow cook, or cooking over the campfire.

The Airstream has limited electrical service. Avoid electrical appliances whenever possible. A small RV generator may be needed but if you can live without it, it's a quieter experience for you and all around you.

Clothing takes up lots of space. A wool sweater and light jacket can be layered for cool weather, for example.

We use a small portable rv water softener when at campsites with water hookup. A real luxury that is good for the Airstream plumbing and makes cleaning everything easier.

We use the rechargeable Dyson portable vacuum that stores on the wall to keep the trailer clean.

Plan ahead for food supply, and there are usually places to restock along the way.

Everyones different on what they need, but clutter is avoidable and more pleasant, I think.

doug k
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 09:00 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1986 32' Excella
Currently Looking...
Canton , Georgia
Welcome!! You are in for some fun! We have a 29 foot Airstream, built before there were wide-body Airstreams, and we have seven kids and their grandmother with us much of the time. You'll have no trouble fitting into yours! We like to keep an extra of everything in the trailer so we have to do as little packing and unpacking as possible. You'll quickly figure out what you need and don't need. Definitely keep tools and a first aid kit even if they're rarely used, but otherwise try to see what you really MUST have. What an adventure you're in for! Welcome to the club.
Skatiero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 09:52 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
Another thing that you hope to never use but should have, make sure you have everything you need to change a tire (sometimes it's nice camping in the middle of nowhere, problem is some areas have no cell phone coverage).
Also wheel chocks and leveling blocks.
Wazbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 11:24 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Pre-buying "stuff" can be a mistake. "Mad Men" are in the business of making you think you can't live without zillions of gadgets and gizmos. For the most part, you use 15% of your possessions 90% of the time.

For your first and second trips - take stuff from home that you think you can't live without. Experience will teach you what you really need on the road, and then you can buy intelligently. It's about your lifestyle, not anyone else's. I've gotten very used to not having a microwave and I don't miss it at all. Others would probably have a FIT without one.

Paula
Old 01-06-2013, 12:04 AM   #6

2006 19' International CCD
Olathe , Kansas
Congrats on your new AS! The basic essentials you use in the kitchen now is a good place to start. We have a 19' Bambi so our space is very limited compared to your 28' but you still want to pack only what you will use or need. We bought Magma nesting cookware and love it! Lots of space saved and we sill have enough pots and pans. Also melamine is a nice lightweight alternative to normal plates and you don't have to worry about breaking them. there are lots of styles and designs available. We also use polycarbonate glassware for the same reason. I also like lots of storage containers to keep food nice and dry and they also help keep everything organized. You will figure out what works for you but there are lots of threads on this subject. Have fun and after a couple of trips you will figure out what is a must have for the Airstream.

http://www.magmaproducts.com/MAGMACO...-PR-040909.pdf

kitchen essentials | ClickClack Storageware

Grand Unbreakable Polycarbonate Plastic Glassware, Drinkware & Stemware
blmitch5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 09:58 AM   #7

2019 27' Globetrotter
1957 16' Bubble
1957 22' Flying Cloud
Hillsboro , Oregon
Congrats ...you're gong to love your Airstream. I've find that Target and the Container Store have a ton of cute and trailer-friendly items. Love the colorful Target dinnerware and really love all of the collapsible strainers, salad spinner....which can be used for many purposes, measuring cups etc. i also have the portable Dyson vacuum and fan...but an thinking about upgrading to the new Hot/Cold Dyson.
monah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 11:23 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1967 30' Sovereign
2012 27' FB International
Mary Esther , Florida
We have ALWAYS notoriously packed too much. I had a muffin tin in our motorhome! Yeah, like I stood around cooking muffins all the time. Will there be more than two of you traveling? I think the number you expect to house on a regular basis will affect what you carry. There is a member on this forum who has a blog (drool) that I am using as a bit of a guide:

Peek Inside our Airstream Travel Trailer; 2012 27′ FB International Signature » Just 5 More Minutes

We drove from Florida to pick up our AS, so we are having to stock it "on the fly". Amazing what we haven't needed. I hope to pick up a set of Corelle today. I was waffling between melamine and Corelle. I think we can get by with realistically three pots and pans. No muffin tin, haha. And of course since we are currently docked in your home port, no cooking needed!

We hit IKEA pretty hard for a lot of our storage needs. Target, TJMaxx and will be cruising through the Bed, Bath & Beyond later if I am still married, haha. Have fun with it! You know where we are if you need to take a peek or get ideas!

Becky
Old 01-06-2013, 02:12 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
congrats...envious...wife and I are waiting till 2014...but will be lurking on here picking up info along the way...tell us all you experiences! Have fun...take care.

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 02:23 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Congrats, you're going to have a lot of fun with your new AS. Everyone is different and needs different things. Just pack what you think you need and go for a short trip! When you get home, you'll know what to add and what to leave behind, and you should keep evaluating that for several trips. Don't worry about it, just go have fun. Whatever it is you realize you should have taken, you can live without for a few days.
Wayne&Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 02:33 PM   #11
aka buckwheat's wife...

1987 34.5' Airstream 345
Hendersonville , North Carolina
Welcome! Welcome!

I am absolutely in love with my new, mini sized, dish drainer I picked up from Camping World.

"I find that it is not the circumstances in which we are placed, but the spirit in which we face them, that constitutes our comfort."
-Elizabeth T. King
PluffMudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 05:32 PM   #12
1 Rivet Member

2012 27' FB Classic
Paso Robles , California
Wow....thanks everyone for the advice! Sounds like I just need to start with the basics and "get to know" the trailer before buying too much. Practicing a little restraint will be good for me!
Becky--I was in BB&B TWICE yesterday for things for the house and was walking around in a daze, drooling over all of the things I could/wanted to buy for the trailer, but I actually made it out of there without pre-buying anything. There were lists made though....
My husband and I both lived the bachelor/bachelorette life for several years before marrying a wee bit late, so in combining our households we have quite a few doubles and triples of things....hopefully I can efficiently sort through those items for some of the kitchen essentials and keep myself from going overboard. I do love a nice warm, fresh baked muffin though!
Cheers,
Steph
Travelvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 06:49 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Mary Esther , Florida
PluffMudd I just bought the same dish drainer. It was made for a round AS sink! I did a loop through BB&B today Travelvet. Poor husband ; ) I haven't committed to our dishes yet, ha ha. Too big a decision to make without much wrath and self-doubt. Haven't needed them today. We rode the PCH and enjoyed a huge/delicious lunch at Ragged Point. Should have worn stretch jeans!

Becky
Old 01-06-2013, 07:51 PM   #14
aka buckwheat's wife...

1987 34.5' Airstream 345
Hendersonville , North Carolina
Talking

We have just recently reclaimed our "Silver Belle" from 4.5 years in storage, 3 states away. So, even though we have owned our Belle for several years, I am back in the same boat as newbies with having to re-stock the old girl. I quite like "playing house" and have appreciated everyone's input on where to shop. Of course, you want to be wise with your purchases as they typically have to fit a limited space and probably won't be used full-time. It's an entertaining challenge for sure!!

"I find that it is not the circumstances in which we are placed, but the spirit in which we face them, that constitutes our comfort."
-Elizabeth T. King
PluffMudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 11:38 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
I actually prefer the electric appliances over propane, especially when at a full-service site; why spend money on propane when you're already paying for the site? The key is not overloading the fuses. If I have my electric griller going, I do not plug the hot-water kettle in or use the microwave etc. Besides that, I am still a bit nervous lighting the propane oven/burners. Propane phobia, I guess.

Someone mentioned muffin pans - found them to be a bit absurd. The key is dual/multi-purpose. Muffin pans are great for everything besides muffins. (See my thread in Stella's Kitchen under "Muffin Pan Cooking.")

Personally, I like to pick-out things befitting the Airstream brand. Function, style, and lightness/size are my criteria. Sorry, but I am not going to junk-up my expensive trailer with redneck "Tupperware" (Cool Whip containers) etc., or use plastic/paper utensils/plates, or the kind of rugged outdoorsy things one would load a pack mule with so they could go moose hunting in Alaska. Seems like an affront - but that's just me - the original "glamper."

You are obviously excited and a bit nervous. Outfitting an AS isn't rocket science. You know your own needs/tastes better than anyone else. Pay attention to the essentials in regards to emergencies and maintenance, and the rest will flow.

Congrats on joing the agony and the ecstasy of AS ownership as I call it.
Old 01-15-2013, 09:19 AM   #16
Airstreamer

Bellevue , Washington
A BIG congratulations Travelvet. That is a beautiful Airstream you have coming!

Have you seen the movie the Long Long Trailer? If so, you may recall the part when Lucille Ball stocks her Airstream with everything imaginable including every kind of casserole dish imaginable? That was me.

Fast forward two years and I have learned a lot. For instance, in my kitchen I now have a medium cast iron skillet (roast chicken, frittatas, deep dish pizza, etc.), a cast iron griddle (that acts as a "lid" for the skillet when the need arises that I also use to bake cookies, crepes, pancakes, eggs, etc.) and a small cast iron skillet (for hot dips, fondue, goey desserts like molten chocolate cake). I do have a stainless steel pot for boiling water for pasta, but that is it. They live in the oven when not in use. For me, this works well. As time goes on you will learn what works best for you. A general rule of thumb I try to follow is that if I haven't used a certain item during the last five trips we have taken, out it goes...

I also agree with Mona - Target and the Container Store are wonderful but be warned, you will want to measure, measure, measure....I can't tell you how many times I have bought something to only be disappointed that it didn't fit -- sometimes by even 1/4 of an inch.

Here’s to your new Airstream and a wonderful new world full of adventures! ♥
Old 01-19-2013, 08:59 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
Thanks all for sharing your knowledge. We have just put down a deposit on a very clean, very original 31’ Sovereign from 1979. If it's as good in person as it looks in the pictures, we'll get to see it on Monday, we'll be joining the ranks of AS owners very soon.
andreasduess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 12:17 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Update?

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 03:27 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by PharmGeek View Post
Update?
We didn't end up buying that particular model. It had damp problems.
andreasduess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 10:48 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2007 27' Classic FB
Ridgefield , Washington
We bought some Corelle dish ware recently to replace the cheesy stuff we bought at Camping World years ago. Looks a lot nicer.Much of the lighter weight stuff doesn't work in the microwave. I insisted that we get some light weight silverware at the Dollar-store and while it was functional, we got something a little better soon thereafter. Dish towels, dish soap, soap for the bathroom and TP. We bought a small Wet/Dry vac that works really well. (A friend of ours had a bad water leak once and wished he had a wetvac) Put together a tool kit with some standard tools, duct tape, fuses,etc.
Get a copy of The Newbies Guide to Airstreaming. Might help with some of your decisions.