Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-17-2017, 06:57 AM   #1
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
New AS - Best Beer ... burp....

Hi

We have lots of calm discussion threads about best hitch, best TV, and best generator. These miss a vital component of the rig - the beer. Since this is also a conversation that *never* brings up anything other than factual debate, it's worth asking. We debate the other stuff in six or eight new threads every week. Beer needs far more attention than it gets in threads ....

What beer do you pick up along the way? What breweries are worth a visit? Which one is best? (You knew that had to get into it ...)

We have been accused of planning our trips based on proximity of the campground to breweries. (Nobody has quite worked out that this was a driver in getting the AS ...) Being at the brewery has the benefit of being able to go on a tour. At the end of the tour - FREE BEER !!! Oddly enough it only comes in these little tiny glasses. They charge you for the couple of cases you then buy in the shop ....

Latest stop was by the Dogfish Head brewery in Delaware. It was a fun tour and good beer. I've always been partial to their 90 Minute. The GPS was less than helpful in finding it. You want the "front entrance" and not the "back door" where the trucks haul the goods in and out.

As a PA resident, there is a state law that makes it mandatory that I mention Yuengling (oldest brewery in the nation) and Troeg's (a local favorite). Both have good tours and good beer. Not quite up to 90 Minute though .... The Yuengling tour is the best so far.

So any other nominations?

So far we have to few candidates in the wine category to add wineries to the list. There's only so many tours you can go on a day .... That may simply be our lack of dedication .... sorry about that ....

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 07:08 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Fayetteville , Arkansas
A subject that shouldn’t be addressed before noon. Still early for those of us in the Central Time Zone...and have to go to work.

2017 25' Safari FBQ - “Fly Fish Inn
2023 F150 XLT
FishByFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 08:29 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
I'm a big fan of Dogfish 90.

Right now I'm drinking my latest stash of Heady Topper. Hard to get as they can't sell it at the brewery. You need to be in the right place at the right time to buy a limited amount (two four-packs).

Let me clarify this, based on FishByFly's comment. I'm not actually drinking it at this moment.
Old 10-17-2017, 08:35 AM   #4
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Assuming you're not talking micro-breweries…

In south Louisiana, the best is Abita, named for Abita Springs where it was first made, despite now being brewed in Covington in a much larger facility.

https://abita.com/#

And in the New Orleans metro area, it's never too early, never too late, to discuss alcoholic beverages.
Old 10-17-2017, 08:38 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2018 23' International
Currently Looking...
SANTA BARBARA , CA
Great thread!!!

All I will say is this....when you make it to San Diego, plan to spend A LOT of time here!!

Walking distance from my house is Thorn St Brewery, Modern Times, Belching Beaver, Mike Hess, Chuck Alek...just to name a few! Yes, keeps us busy!

Not walking distance, but worth the drive.... our favorite, Ballast Point, and then tons of other ones as well.

Hmm, planning a trip out here yet??
weirdstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 08:57 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
As an avid home brewer I really enjoy trying the many beers from smaller breweries on my annual US visits. Luckily my wife doesn't drink so I always have a dedicated driver when we find a good brewpub for a meal and a couple of pints.

She likes not to have to cook and I like the beer - can't be bad!

I always take some of my own brews along on our rips, but that soon runs out so I am "forced" to buy more as we travel. The only time I like going grocery shopping!

One of my favourites in the South East is Sweetwater 420 Pale Ale from teh Sweetwater brewing company in Atlanta. In fact I just made a "Clone" version at home and was very pleased with the results.

As for tours, I agree, Yuengling is an excellent tour. e have also been to Dogfish and quite a few smaller ones.

The last one we toured was Sierra Nevada near Asheville NC - amazing place and well worth a visit.

I believe New Belgium also have a new brewery near Asheville and that is on the list for the coming winter trip!

While I mainly enjoy ales rather than lagers, we did also tour the huge Bud brewery at Jacksonville - It was fascinating to see how few people were involved in such a huge production facility. Good lounge and free beers at the end of the tour - so I made an exception and actually did enjoy the lagers!

Mmmmmm........... Beer!

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 09:07 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2018 25' International
Boise , Idaho
San Diego has a great beer scene. Alesmith and Lost Abbey have to be included.
Star Ship is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 09:08 AM   #8
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up

No contest....

Bob
Attached Images

Old 10-17-2017, 09:11 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2015 28' Flying Cloud
Ladson , South Carolina
beer

My husband is a Yingling fan also . Never been to brewery though. He likes IPA stuff. Torpedo by Sierra Nevada. We were at Ashville brewery this summer; quite a place. New Belgium brewery in Asheville was also nice, on a much smaller scale. Our current home beer, ready for our next trip, is Sam Adams Oktoberfest! Cheers
SC Coastal Unit
TAC-SC5
Safari Streamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 09:12 AM   #10
bci
Computer Consultant

2007 30' Classic S/O
Chino Hills , California
Send a message via Skype™ to bci
Camping with Beer

I have used a little website called http://www.campingwithbeer.com/allsites. Just a list of campgrounds near breweries

BTW: if you know of one _not_ on the list, please use the [Contribute] button and add it!

I do like the very fine bubbles in the head when using nitrogen gas...
WBCCI #7192
N6ROQ
bci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 09:15 AM   #11
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Six years ago Minnesota passed a law that allows taprooms at breweries as long as they brew less than 250,000 barrels a year. That keeps out the mega-breweries.

So now I have at least 20 breweries with taprooms within 10 miles of my house. Heaven on earth.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 09:15 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Anchor Steam on tap at the

[ . . . no name bar . . . ]

Sausalito CA

OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 09:20 AM   #13
bambi-Lily

2016 19' International
encinitas , California
Come west to the mecca of microbrews and visit Alesmith. All time favorite!
pegjust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 09:30 AM   #14
4 Rivet Member

2018 28' International
Renton , Washington
After rereading the best hitch thread, I’m going to come back to this one often. Since I don’t own the best hitch in the world, I realize my generic taste for many different IPAs was a precursor to other not-so-opinionated choices.
Wconley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 09:30 AM   #15
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Taos , New Mexico
If you make it down to Texas a stop at Shiner Brewery is really fun. They have a great gift shop to buy fun items (like a bung plug) after a tour of the historic brewery and packing areas. There is a prairie chicken preserve close to the brewery, great and historic BBQ place close by (no prairie chickens on the menu) and of course the great town of San Antonio is a short drive further west from there. In Colorado even though it is admittedly big and commercial the Coors brewery is a must see as is Boulder Beer.
kdickinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 09:31 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2018 23' International
Currently Looking...
SANTA BARBARA , CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Star Ship View Post
San Diego has a great beer scene. Alesmith and Lost Abbey have to be included.
Oh yea!!! See, there's so many, that I can't even remember a ton of great ones!
Old 10-17-2017, 09:31 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member

2020 16' Bambi
ABQ , New Mexico
I have to say, since moving to Albuquerque a year ago I've been routinely impressed by the quality of local breweries and local coffee. A number of them recently won a bunch of awards at a brewery competition.
YoungishJedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 09:37 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2018 23' International
Currently Looking...
SANTA BARBARA , CA
If you're in Virginia, stop by Hawksbill Brewing Company, in Luray. I haven't been out there to try the beer, but it is owned by my good friend, Jim Turner. I believe it's the first, and only, micro brewery in that area. If you stop by, tell him your Airstream on-line friends, Mark and Nancy, sent you.
Old 10-17-2017, 09:46 AM   #19
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Bay Shore , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

We have lots of calm discussion threads about best hitch, best TV, and best generator. These miss a vital component of the rig - the beer. Since this is also a conversation that *never* brings up anything other than factual debate, it's worth asking. We debate the other stuff in six or eight new threads every week. Beer needs far more attention than it gets in threads ....

Bob
Favorite beer? What could possibly go wrong in this discussion...?

My favorite brewery is Evil Twin, but as a gypsy brewery they have no fixed location to visit. Dogfish Head is a close second though, and I will definitely have to make that tour. I blew right past the 90 Minute IPA and love their 120 Minute IPA. Just don't drink until after the day's driving is done!

I should mention that I am not your average beer drinker and avoid the usual off-the-shelf stuff completely. No Yuengling (Ick) or similar here. I do not drink much, but drink very well! I have an actual beer cellar with about a hundred bottles of hand selected brews aging down there right now, and yet I can't figure out how to pull off the whole 'beer snob' thing.

Denver has a huge concentration of smaller breweries. We visited a new beer bar there recently (The Brew?) that had a great sampler collection for custom flights. Then went to the Kokopelli Brewery tasting room. Good food, too! Try their new Deterdings. I have two Crowler cans aging in the cellar and enjoyed one last Friday evening. Wow!

If you like Dogfish Head, try some of their less known productions such as Raison D'Extra and others. Amazingly flavorful stuff! Another recent discovery is Central Waters Brewery. They make a lovely bourbon barrel aged Barleywine and a few others that I am happily exploring.

OK. That's enough. I could go on all day here. Finally a subject I can make a meaningful contribution to!
Jim S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 09:58 AM   #20
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up I couldn't.......

.....have finished the install without>>

Bob