Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-16-2012, 04:35 PM   #21
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
For the purposes of my plot, I need Joe Loudermilk to be called down to the Sheriff's station where his trailer is being held to solve a minor technical or mechanical problem that has the forensic investigators stumped. For instance, let's say there's a floor or wall panel they want to remove that they can't figure out how to get open without breaking something. They need Joe, as an informed Airstream owner, to come down and show them how to get the thing off.

All I'm looking for here is a reasonable excuse for them to call Joe out to the station. Anything that might confuse or intimidate someone unfamiliar with the inner-workings of an Airstream would probably fit the bill.

Many thanks for your help!

Gar Anthony Haywood

Good thing writers have lot's of time what with the responses above.

I might posit that the TT owner needs to show up as the CS tech is considering using a rotary power tool (maybe a holesaw) to cut into a bathroom wall near the floor, with the preference that it not hit wiring or plumbing -- and the trailer schematic of either is not aboard nor presently available online -- thus the request of the owner to appear with same to minimize potential damage and maximize potential evidence procurement.

slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 11:56 AM   #22
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
Richmond , Virginia
I'll throw some things out there. The key for the door is different than the ones for the few outside storage compartments. If Joe left them the door key, but not the compartments, they may need him to bring those keys. Or, he could have had one of the compartment doors replaced, which needs a new key as the compartment lock wasn't keyed the same. They may want to swab the grey tank for a dna sample, but can't figure out how to open the thetford valve (sometimes the gate is in a funny location, or needs an extension if the handle broke off) If you killed someone in the bath, you could wipe down the walls, and the drain, but their might be dna trapped in the tank - different than in a home. They could be trying the lights and they can't find the fuse box for the internal lights. They may want to use the trailer's AC because they're working in there a lot and can't get it to come on, not realizing that they need to hook it up to shore power. One of the goofy guys in the police station may have used the "facilities" and they don't know how to flush it, and the working condition is becoming unbearable. They may want to remove the gray tank for a full examination and replacement for a DNA sample. Hope this helps. You may want to change the model/year if possible. Unless you build the anomaly into the story, it'd be a problem. There was a guy in the forums that bought a trailer once where nothing matched up - turns out the trailer was owned by a Airstream mechanic who built/replaced parts on his trailer with spare parts from multiple models. Finally, there is a 1 1.5" space between the inner and outer skins. If there was something in that space that wasn't insulation, it would change the temp. One thing that would be interesting would be if the trailer was somewhere that was really humid, and the AC was blasting inside, the outside of the trailer could be dry, but if there was missing insulation, it's possible that one section of the skin would have condensation from the cold being passed from the interior through a solid object hidden between the skins.
robwok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 07:02 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2008 19' Safari SE
Denver , Colorado
Oooh, Rob, you're good!

Blog: 300 Miles or 3:00
zlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 09:31 PM   #24
Leavingtherut.com

2005 30' Safari
Key Largo , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by robwok View Post
One thing that would be interesting would be if the trailer was somewhere that was really humid, and the AC was blasting inside, the outside of the trailer could be dry, but if there was missing insulation, it's possible that one section of the skin would have condensation from the cold being passed from the interior through a solid object hidden between the skins.
I agree with zlee!!! I vote for this plot!
TavnAsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 01:03 AM   #25
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Genoa , Nevada
Yeah, an infrared camera could find some hotter or colder spots on the skin. Except if you manorveredto keep the trailer parked at the right angle to the sun...Oh they haven't found the gun cabinet under the bunks yet, have they? What hidden safe deposit box, everyone doesn't have one do they? and nobody ever has both keys to that undrillable super hardened steel box nobody has either, none of the locksmiths seem to have a blank for the plain flat key. Darn, found that hidden second key in the gun cabinet.

NevadaGeo
NevadaGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 01:55 AM   #26
Rivet Puller

2003 28' Safari S/O
Atlanta Burbs , Georgia
I vote for Robwok's suggestions; any Airstream owner knows about compartment key issues and might come in thinking the cops were on the wrong track as the "evidence" would definitely NOT be found there. The bowl is full trick sounds reasonable but, personally, if they had my trailer and were rifling it for clues I wouldn't be bothered by the notion that the cops had to suffer the stench because their tech made a mistake.

I second the need to make the year & model actually match the real world as most streamers know the product line. In 2005, you can select between the Safari, Classic, and International CCD models. A murder in the Quicksilver Bambi (18 footer) made that year is only possible if both are very tiny people or the victim was shot from outside the 'booth.'
SeeMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 12:21 PM   #27
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by REDNAX View Post
For the purposes of my plot, I need Joe Loudermilk to be called down to the Sheriff's station where his trailer is being held to solve a minor technical or mechanical problem that has the forensic investigators stumped. For instance, let's say there's a floor or wall panel they want to remove that they can't figure out how to get open without breaking something. They need Joe, as an informed Airstream owner, to come down and show them how to get the thing off.
Having recently been the victim of a vehicular break-in in my Airstream Interstate, less than 24 hours after I bought it, in a jurisdiction where the local Sheriff's Department investigated, I can tell you a few things about my experience. Your call as to whether any of it is pertinent to the story in your mind:

1 - No forensics tech; the deputy collected forensic evidence himself; digital camera, powdered pumice and clear adhesive strips for prints, DNA swabs, and a chemical that turns blue when exposed to blood (which turned green when dabbed on a suspecious red spot on the upholstery, so either the spot was blood mixed with something else, or not blood at all).
2 - No request for assistance; owner's not allowed to touch anything for fear of compromising whatever prints/DNA the perp left behind. I couldn't even unlock the doors for him, just hand him the keys and remote control and let him do it. However, they DID ask for the keys rather than doing more damage by jimmying a door. The investigating deputy wanted to enter the vehicle through a different door (since there are multiple doors in my case), so that he didn't have to touch anything touched by the perp and risk smearing a print before he could collect it.
3 - Owner DOES have to provide prints and a DNA swab for elimination purposes. This is as good a reason as any to get Joe to the Sheriff's Office, if the investigating officer neglected to collect elimination samples at the scene for whatever reason (maybe Joe wasn't around at the time). The trailer doesn't even have to be impounded for this to work, if the sole goal is to get Joe into the Sheriff's Office at an opportune time.
4 - My vehicle was not impounded. No need; the vehicle was not in the possession of the perpetrator or abandoned elsewhere by the perpetrator, and was not on a public right-of-way where it would constitute a danger to the public if left where it was. Joe's trailer would not be impounded unless the perp had already moved it, or unless the investigators had reason to believe Joe would move it before the investigation was complete. Easier to take investigators to the trailer than to take the trailer to the investigators.
5 - Insurance company wanted a report number, which I got off a receipt handed to me by the investigating deputy. The actual report was filed later, and I had to request a copy separately; all I got at the time was the file number. If Joe wasn't around at the time the investigating deputy was on-site, he won't have been given a receipt listing the report number, and possibly can't get the report number over the phone after the fact (no way to verify his identity before giving out the info). Joe would have to go to the Sheriff's Office in person to obtain the report number in order to file an insurance claim. Again, for this the trailer doesn't even have to be impounded.
6 - Investigating officers will be a lot more careful to avoid breaking a victim's possessions than a perpetrator's possessions. However, investigating officers don't clean up after themselves when they're done, either. I had to remove a surprising amount of powdered pumice from every touchable surface when they were done dusting for prints.
Old 01-18-2012, 12:32 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2008 19' Safari SE
Denver , Colorado
Quote:
3 - Owner DOES have to provide prints and a DNA swab for elimination purposes. This is as good a reason as any to get Joe to the Sheriff's Office, if the investigating officer neglected to collect elimination samples at the scene for whatever reason (maybe Joe wasn't around at the time). The trailer doesn't even have to be impounded for this to work, if the sole goal is to get Joe into the Sheriff's Office at an opportune time.
Bingo there, I think.

Blog: 300 Miles or 3:00
zlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 10:38 AM   #29
Mystery Novelist

Alhambra , California
I'd like to thank everyone for the great responses---even the wiseguy ones.

My error regarding the year/model/size of the Loudermilks' trailer stemmed from the fact the book I'm adapting for television was actually published way back in 1994, so my memory is vague regarding the model year I chose for their 24-foot Excella. That info was accurate at the time, but as I want to bring the Loudermilks' story into the present in my script, I'll obviously have to update it.

I want to assure you all that I hold the Airstream brand in the highest regard and intend to get all the details relevant to the Loudermilks' experience as Airstream full-timers right. I came here for answers because I know Airstream owners like yourselves a) take this stuff very seriously and b) know their trailers inside out, and I can't very well portray Joe as a proud, card-carrying member of the Wally Byam Caravan Club if I myself can't write about the brand fairly and accurately.

Having said all that, however, this is a comedy-drama for television I'm writing, so some of the police procedural stuff is going to be a little on the unrealistic side. This ain't Masterpiece Theater, in other words.

Still, if this thing ever makes it to the airwaves, I promise not to embarrass anyone who, like Joe, calls an Airstream trailer their "home."

Best,

GAH
JLoudermilk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 10:44 AM   #30
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Heh, well stated Mr. GAH. Airstreamers are a proud lot, and Airforums members can sometimes be a bit prickly as well. Honestly, I'm surprised and impressed with the number of thoughtful and interesting responses you've received, compared to the number of "wiseguy" ones.

Please let us know when we could expect to see this particular story out for public consumption, and good luck on your research. This forum is defintely the premier place to come for information on all things Airstream, you won't find a better resource.

Good luck!
-Marcus
utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 11:08 AM   #31
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLoudermilk View Post
…this is a comedy-drama for television I'm writing, so some of the police procedural stuff is going to be a little on the unrealistic side. This ain't Masterpiece Theater, in other words.
As soon as the words "for television" crop up, I readjust the settings on my disbelief suspension. I'll accept less accuracy from a television show than from a novel, if only because television has to appeal to a less-literate audience. That said, I applaud your efforts to make the story as accurate as possible within the limits of the medium. Those who know will appreciate it, those who don't know won't care; there's no downside.