Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-15-2022, 09:01 PM   #1
GR3
1 Rivet Member

Trussville , Alabama
My Reasons and Plans for Airstreaming

Hello,

As I wrote in a previous post I am new to this. I have not purchased my Airstream. I am at an age in my life in which I have the opportunity to decide where and what I am going to do. I am 58.

I am a licensed Professional Geologist and I owned and ran an Environmental Consulting firm for 25 years. Several years ago I had some pretty serious health issues and, only by the miracles of Jesus, I survived. Because of all this I had to close my business. I currently live in Alabama; however, I do not have any ties here. I like it, don't get me wrong, it's just all I have known since I moved here from Oklahoma in 1986. Now I have an opportunity to see if it's where I am supposed to be. I am planning on liquidating most of the "things" I have, including cars, truck, a personally restored frame-off 1985 Jeep Scrambler (I will miss that), 1975 Harley Sportster, 1971 Triumph motorcycle, basically most material things, (things that can be replaced), buying a good tow vehicle and an Airstream.

For the next year or so I plan on visiting different portions of the country and see what I like. I am going to focus on western states, excluding the left coast states. Although, Alaska is not at all out of the question.

The experience with Environmental Regulation requirements, along with the other Environmental Consulting experience I have, can be used pretty much anywhere. Certain states do have specific certification requirements, but those can be dealt with.

It's going to take planning. It's not an impulse decision.

One questions I have is long term trailer parking options, i.e.weeks or months at a time. What are they? What would/could be available to me?

As of now in my conceptual planning stage, I am considering finding localities to "test the waters" so to speak. I really just want to see different places and sort of decide as I go. Initially, that might mean staying in one location for just a week or two for the first six or so months then sorting out locations more specifically based upon what I have experienced. I don't really know, as this is still in the conceptual planning stage.

What I do know is I expect it to be an adventure of sorts and I am grateful to have received Gods Unmerited Blessings of Grace.

I greatly appreciate any input or feedback from the experienced.

Thank you,
George
GR3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2022, 09:22 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Longmont , Colorado
Welcome and good luck with your planning.

There are many commercial campgrounds around the country that will be happy to have you stay as long as you like. Some have weekly or monthly discounts. Some are pretty basic; others style themselves as "resorts" with features like swimming pools, and charge higher prices.

There are also many public campgrounds: local parks, state parks, national forests, national parks, Corp of Engineer facilities at major dams, etc. These are generally cheaper but many limit your length of stay to 14 days at a time.

Also, there are places on federal lands--mostly national forests and BLM land--that are open to "dispersed camping". These are not campgrounds; these are just remote places where you can stay. You have to bring your own water, haul out your waste, provide for however much power you need. These places also commonly have time limits.
SSquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2022, 10:40 PM   #3
Trailer Sold, Waving

2019 26' Flying Cloud
Stettler , Alberta
Having done exactly that the last four years, it is indeed a worthwhile and incredible journey. If you do intend "long term parking options" and work from your trailer, I would seriously consider a well equipped 5th wheel, along the lines of Crossroads Redwood, VanLeigh Beacon, or Grand Design Momentum if u hang on to a motorcycle. With on board generators, lots of roof for solar, and a proper lithium battery bank, you can live just about anywhere in comfort. Airstreams, even mine, are not built for it.
WBCCI #6679
Acheron2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2022, 07:08 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
I think you should also consider other brands of trailers for your venture.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2022, 07:23 AM   #5
Rivet Master

Tavares , Florida
Welcome from Florida.

Long term trailer parking options depend on what's available in your area. When not on the road, we use a local gated well-lit Public Storage facility.

On the road, typically RV spots have limitations, which also vary. For example, max 2 weeks is common for a popular city park out West. Or at some you can just rent by the month basically forever. So it just depends.
“Character is doing the right thing when nobody’s looking. There are too many people who think that the only thing that’s right is to get by, and the only thing that’s wrong is to get caught.” - J.C. Watts Jr.
Rich Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2022, 09:42 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

Boise , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill M. View Post
I think you should also consider other brands of trailers for your venture.
Second this comment and expand to add that you might want to look at a coach versus an Airstream TT. I have had both and my preference for long term travel is a coach. The Airstream is great for 4-6 weeks at a time but if I were taking off for a year or two with no home to return to, I would take my Tiffin bus. Can’t beat the amount space that quad slides afford, the power of a diesel pusher and I have found Tiffin quality to exceed Airstream (now that both are part of Thor that may no longer be true). Having a stacked W/D and residential refrigerator is a godsend all on its own along with tremendous storage capacity for long term living.
IdahoTrvlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2022, 09:43 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2019 27' Tommy Bahama
Foothill Ranch , California
Greetings from S. CA

My wife and I are the lucky & happy 2nd owners of our Tommy Bahama...whose first owners were doing exactly what you want to do. They discovered, after a year of ownership, the coach was just too small and lacked essential daily amenities (washer/dryer, etc). You don't mention if it's just going to be you, or if you're bringing pets, etc, but you should really factor that into consideration - how much room do you need? You will also find that RV parks are more full than ever - getting a space isn't the walk in the park it used to be!

Another line of thinking (especially with your back ground). I would suggest you also consider your potential new rigs ability to "boon dock" ~ camp without hook ups. The west is blessed with vast, open spaces you can stay for 14 days at no charge, but you have to manage your resources (water, power, tanks). But it will let you see/experience so many geological wonders your head will spin. Better yet, you'll enjoy a great deal of privacy and serenity...away from the couple with the non-stop barking dog on your right, and the "party 'til dawn" group on your left at the park we just stayed at!

I would strongly encourage you to check out "Keep Your Daydream" https://www.keepyourdaydream.com/ They have a ton of videos on YouTube, having lived in every (and I do mean EVERY) type of RV imaginable...from tear drop to 45' class A, and have been in their Airstream for some time. They also share how to boon dock, essential things you need to know, and a whole lot more. It's probably one of the best resources I've come across.

Good luck and keep us informed of how your plans are progressing ~ we're rooting for you!
Mark of SJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2022, 10:49 AM   #8
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

First step in this process is very much to go look at a range of options. The key word there is "look". You very much need to see this and see that. Sit in a few examples. Spend some quality time in this or that model ( = an hour or two, not a couple minutes ).

Option one would be to not even have an RV involved. Rent a place here / there / somewhere. It turns out that (as long as you are outside nutty urban areas), the cost to do that is not insane. You probably already have a pretty good idea what a house feels like to live in .

Next up would be a large-ish Class A motorhome. Tow a rational "drive around" ( maybe a jeep) vehicle behind it. You have a lot of storage space. Room for a real office, and a vehicle that can easily park in town / head up a rocky trail.

A fifth wheel has been mentioned already. This also gives you more space / storage than a travel trailer. The downside is that the tow vehicle is pretty specific to the application. You may well have a dually F450 as your "around town" vehicle. You also don't get much storage in the bed of that truck. ( = you very much need those storage compartments under the trailer).

Both a 5th wheel and a Class A likely come with slide outs. These give you more space when in a fixed location. They also are prone to various issues. Understand these issues if you go that way. I would very much avoid the urge to "go cheap" on a vehicle with slide outs. Even on fairly fancy models, we run into folks with "stories".

Most certainly *do* consider a TT. They most certainly have things going for them. They come in a range of sizes. Some folks seem to be quite happy working full time out of some pretty small trailers. Others simply "don't fit" in a small trailer. It's very much a personal thing.

Pretty much all of the "mobile" answers above have issues in the cold. If this *is* a venture to see how this or that place is to live in, that could be an issue. Alaska is interesting in the summer. It is *very* different in January / February. If you really want to see what it's like to live up here, the "summer tourist" approach isn't going to work. Indeed, a lot of folks we talk to up here "mention" winter ....

How does this all fit together? Who knows ... we spent many decades camping in tents and shopping for this or that. At one point or another we seriously considered all of the items on the list above and several others as well. Nothing ever really "fit", but we kept on looking. When retirement came along, we had a lot of data / research to consider. A couple months of conversation and analysis took us over to Colonial Airstream. We have spent about half of each year out and about ever since.

That all *sounds* very rational and like we really hit the nail on the head with what we did in 2017. One might note that we now seem to have two Airstreams. There is never a single answer to these sort of questions, no matter how hard you try to make that be the case

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2022, 10:56 AM   #9
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Evergreen , Colorado
I agree with Bob. We also graduated from tent camping to RV camping, and we weren’t sure what to buy. We rented a Class A motorhome thinking it was what we wanted. We very quickly realized that it wasn’t what we wanted. We rented a travel trailer also, and this not only confirmed that it was our preference, but it helped us understand some of the things we liked and disliked about trailers, including size. You can find Airstreams and other RVs for rent on sites like outdoorsy.com. RV shows can also be great because you can see lots of options in a relatively short period of time.

Past:
Airstream International Serenity 23FB
Newmar Ventana 3715
Dennis C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2022, 11:33 AM   #10
GR3
1 Rivet Member

Trussville , Alabama
RV or TT

I understand and can identify with the size limitations of a TT but I definitely need a TT. I do not want to use an RV as my daily driver around town, or work. I am used to driving a full size truck. I guess I could flat tow a vehicle behind a RV, but I think it might look a little weird having a RV flat tow a 4x4 full size pick-up truck.
GR3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2022, 12:05 PM   #11
The Aluminum Tent 3

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Park City , Utah
I have been living in my 23 CB for 2 1/2 years now. Winters at an RV resort in Heber city Utah, and summers on property I own and plan on building a home. Sure I lust for the big fifth wheels when I see them at the RV resort but really just me and my medium size dog I have learned to make do in my 23. Not saying you should be happy with a 23, it just happens to be what I owned when I sold my house. I think a 25 is the sweet spot esp for a single person with a queen bed, nice bathroom shower set up, and plenty of room to lounge around. Good luck! Less is more!
pcskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2022, 12:17 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2023 25' International
Fayetteville , North Carolina
Welcome and good luck in your new adventure. I am currently waiting on my International 25FBT so you will probably have plenty of time to work out all the details if your lead time is like mine. Also, when you get ready to sell that Scrambler I'd like to know.
barnhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2022, 12:36 PM   #13
La Lata

2021 20' Caravel
San Francisco , California
Congrats on being a survivor and having the courage to start a new chapter. I second the advice above of renting via Outdoorsy or some other site to get a feel for various trailer types and configurations. We rented three times before we bought our Airstream and it really helped us tune in on what mattered to us (also ended up making good friends with one of the renters). Good luck on your new adventure!

Gerardo
A “left coaster” ;-)
gcapiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2022, 12:39 PM   #14
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by GR3 View Post
I understand and can identify with the size limitations of a TT but I definitely need a TT. I do not want to use an RV as my daily driver around town, or work. I am used to driving a full size truck. I guess I could flat tow a vehicle behind a RV, but I think it might look a little weird having a RV flat tow a 4x4 full size pick-up truck.
Hi

I see a lot of Class A's towing all sorts of things. They most certainly do haul full sized trucks behind them. No, that's not in any way to say you *should* go that way. It's only to suggest it not be crossed off the list to early.

Even if the class A is off the table, that still leaves the 5th wheel vs ball tow trailer decision. They are very different beasts. I have spent a lot of time debating the relative merits of each with various folks. There is no single "right" answer. A 5th wheel with a toy hauling "garage" as part of the footprint lets you hang on to various things that otherwise .... maybe not.

Yes, I (obviously) went with a tow on the ball trailer. I would not change that. What we have works for us. It lets us go where we want to go. There is enough space (barely) in the trailer for what we like to do. Running a business / having an office in the trailer is not part of the mix. We have two (sometimes three) very large dogs. All of that figures in. Everybody's situation is a bit unique.

Bob
Old 08-16-2022, 01:39 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Niagara Falls , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by GR3 View Post
Hello,

I have not purchased my Airstream. I am at an age in my life in which I have the opportunity to decide where and what I am going to do.however, I do not have any ties here. I like it, don't get me wrong, it's just all I have known since I moved here from Oklahoma in 1986. Now I have an opportunity to see if it's where I am supposed to be.

I am planning on liquidating most of the "things" I have, including cars, truck, a personally restored frame-off 1985 Jeep Scrambler

Thank you,
George
Possible the truck you have now could be upgraded to be a decent TV maybe even the CJ if you decide to go with a smaller older airstream or a new BaseCamp 16, Bambi, or Nest models

https://www.airstream.com/travel-tra...s/standard-16/

https://drivinvibin.com/2021/07/08/smallest-airstreams/

https://www.airstream.com/blog/wet-bath/

https://www.designboom.com/technolog...er-07-10-2017/

There are some older small Airstream models that would probably be much lighter wieght than the newer models, and possibly towable with the Scrambler

https://www.ewaldsairstream.com/airs...plan-specs.php

https://www.airstream.com/wp-content...-bubble-96.pdf

https://www.pinterest.ca/pin/312015080437237707/

If you are camping in warmer area you could always use an add on tent for an extra room to make more space.

You didn't say what type of truck or cars you have (old land yachts make good TVs especially with FI upgrades and OD trans conversions)

Just a quick look and this was up on a site today:
https://www.rvtrader.com/listing/200...ort-5022644780

FROM: https://www.jeepforum.com/threads/to...n-cj-7.441136/

Because of the CJ's short wheel base I believe the maximum towing capacity is around 2000 lbs regardless of the engine/drivetrain size. Anything heavier could take command of the CJ/trailer combination.
hairyclive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2022, 02:47 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

2018 27' Flying Cloud
INDIAN HARBOUR BEACH , Florida
Thanks for your witness to our Lord!
Having recently driven a Tiffin '34 front engine MH (Freightliner) from FL to CO and driven our 27' FBQ Flying Cloud from CA to FL in 2020, I have to say, I prefer travel in the Silverado 2500HD towing the AS. I am sure a Tiffin pusher is quieter than the front engine, but there are many other issues that make us prefer the truck. But, my brother owned the Tiffin and switched from TT to MH and never looked back. It is personal preference. I don't like to pay for multiple drive systems (one in MH and one for daily driver) and the drive train on the MH sits a lot for the amount of driving it does.
Hope this helps.
PC Conner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2022, 04:46 PM   #17
Everyday is a GIFT !!

2015 30' Classic
Collins , Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to Nelson428
Welcome, and good luck.

Hopefully you will cross paths with many of us. That would be nice.
It’s all a personal decision for you, you already have a good idea of what you want and what will work for you. I kept the house for now but travel around 9 months of the year while I am still physically able (I retired early at 58 also due to health reasons, life happens every day it starts when we are born and stops well you know …… live it to the fullest, every day, life does not have a rewind button, however sometimes seems stuck on fast forward….well for me).
Spend some time studying what you like, don’t get confused or lose your focus on your dreams. Study what you like and are considering. Don’t over think the issue, information overload is real, if it works good and if not make some changes. You will know what you need and what works for you once you finish selling nonessential items. My AS works for me and a 100 lb goldendoodle . Oh And he loves the truck as well. So give it some time, you got time to study and plan. I have full confidence you will make the right decision……..after all you ran your own business and employed others….the rv’ing thing will be a 1,000 easier.

Once again welcome and enjoy the adventure.
AirForums # 66116
Nelson428 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2022, 10:54 AM   #18
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

No matter what you decide on, there will be tradeoffs. There is no solution that is perfect in all respects. The only reason for mentioning all these options is to be sure that they get looked at and evaluated. The gotcha is deciding on this or that and a couple months later trading it for something very different. That's always an expensive proposition.

Bob
Old 08-17-2022, 11:47 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1969 25' Tradewind
Shasta Lake , California
The Airstream is a great 3 season travel trailer . Travel being the operative word , it’s designed to be on the road traveling rather then sitting still for long periods .

5th wheels and motor homes on the other hand are great for sitting for long periods rather then on the go travel . Depending on model they are better insulated have larger tanks on board power plants and lots of outside storage .

5th wheel toy hauler’s have the garage and rear deck /ramp and some even have a fuel station to fill the toys .

5th wheels give you the tow vehicle to drive when stationary .

Motor homes mean a towed vehicle is needed to get around .

Toy hauler’s give you the tow vehicle to get around and a place to haul a off road vehicle to explore the back country geology .

Just a few observations to consider in your quest .

WBCCI #6269

My Build Thread https://www.airforums.com/forums/f11...ml#post1997059
Glenritas is offline   Reply With Quote