Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-02-2015, 06:49 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2016 27' International
Gainesville , Virginia
Maiden Voyage galley mods

(hope that photo loads) For our maiden voyage this past weekend, I added a few additions to the pantry. A quick run to The Container Store net all sorts of fun stuff! The pull out drawer under the micro received some Like It Bricks - they have all sizes and they're amazing for keeping things neat under tow. Nary a jiggle.

Also, installed two Elfa slide out drawers on the cabinets above, one for each shelf, a perfect fit with a little space leftover on the side for an extra roll of foil, and some space in back for a couple of rolls of paper towels. Nice thing is - I can get to anything in that super deep cabinet!

And did I mention everything was on sale?
Two To Tow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 11:54 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
It's fun to see what other folks come up with for storage solutions. We have essentially the same kitchen (2014 27FB Intl). Always looking for new ideas. Kitchen storage seems to be a continual organic process.
Have fun in your new AS! We love ours.
Rick from Portland
PDXRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 02:00 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

2016 27' International
Gainesville , Virginia
Thanks Rick! I was thrilled to find the Like-It bins at the perfect height and width for those pantry drawers. Can only imagine what other shoppers and staff thought as I consulted my measurements and played Legos on a demo desk setup, trying to envision exactly what pantry items would go where.

The overhead storage is still a work in progress, a couple of wire shelves on anti-slide shelf liner help - what do you do? After our first trip, everything up there shifted quite a bit and I was glad everything was pretty much unbreakable.
Old 09-06-2015, 02:21 PM   #4
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Love these ideas, thanks!
Right now, our top upper storage area is mostly bags & wraps, and we put big unbreakable stuff (coffee pot, blender, costco tubs of nuts, pretzels, etc.) in the bottom upper storage area.

So, what items / sizes, exactly, did you buy for the spaces above and below the micro? Looking forward to a visit to the Container store!

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 02:33 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

2016 27' International
Gainesville , Virginia
Above the micro received a elfa gliding wire basket on each shelf. Came in a kit of a basket with the gliding hardware that was easy to install, but you have to have a shorty screwdriver for the top one as the curve of the airstream didn't allow me to get my drill in there.
elfa Narrow Easy Glider White
11-5/8" x 15-3/8" x 1-1/4" h
elfa Narrow Mesh 1-Runner White
12-7/8" x 20-3/4" x 3-1/4"
I will post a close up for you when I am back at a real computer and not this tablet.

For the shelves below the micro, an assortment of Like-it bricks in white, mostly the medium size with a few narrow medium. I love that I can stack these on a tray and bring them outside to my lodge pan on the campfire as needed (herbs and spices) or into the house if we won't be camping again soon.

Travel safely, eat well!
Old 09-13-2015, 11:27 PM   #6

Went to the Container Store yesterday. Lots of stuff on sale through mid-October, which is great.

We got two of the Elfa units you suggested. Looks like they will fit nicely on the shelves above the microwave. We'll probably mount them as far back and to the right as possible. That would enable us to squeeze skinny items to the left of the Elfa, and on the bottom shelf we can put stuff in front of the Elfa, taking advantage of the sliding basket to make it easier for us to get stuff out of the back when needed.

After measuring the pull-out drawers under the microwave, it seems the optimal fit for Like-it Bricks would be three of the 11" x 5.5" medium bins or four of the 8.25" x 5.5" medium bins. I tried out the 4 smaller bins today. The fit is good, but the bins seem a big small for us to efficiently use the space, so we'll exchange to three 11" medium bins for each drawer.

Thanks again for the pantry storage details for your 27FB, looks like this will also work well for ours. We intend to pre-load the bricks and baskets, and then drop them into place. Should speed up our pantry packing process and reduce the risk of forgetting items we meant to bring along on this particular trip.

Old 09-14-2015, 07:09 PM   #7

Ok, here's the result. Thanks for the inspiration!Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1442279318.044884.jpg
Views:	380
Size:	69.2 KB
ID:	248046Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1442279343.595761.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	71.3 KB
ID:	248047

Old 09-15-2015, 09:03 AM   #8
1 Rivet Member

2016 27' International
Gainesville , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocinante View Post
Ok, here's the result. Thanks for the inspiration!Attachment 248046Attachment 248047
WOW! They look terrific! Love that you chose the black to accent your decor, not to mention that any scuffs won't tell. I'm definitely going with the tin foil/cling wrap/ wax paper in the upper as you did, great use of space. Mounted ours as far forward as I dared, so I'd have some room in back for paper towel/extra cups/liquor bottle storage - the stuff I don't pull out regularly. There's a learning curve, that's for sure! Love to see future photos when you have those baskets stuffed to the gills.

And thanks for your blog, by the way - buying an Airstream has required an education and your blog has certainly helped me toward my Phd in Airstream-onomics!
Old 09-15-2015, 09:55 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2016 28' Pendleton
Currently Looking...
Scottsdale , Arizona
Hi from AZ. . . Wow, some great kitchen mods folks. . .And pics that actually are well lit & show the subject. . . thanks & travel safe
Old 09-15-2015, 10:47 AM   #10

Glad you like our shots. We try to reserve our super-blurry under-exposure camera for pictures of Sasquatch, the Loch Ness Monster and the Jersey Devil.

We'll have to share on what sliding basket position works out best for the bottom shelf basket (above the micro). We mounted it as far back as possible because we hate reaching back there to get stuff out. Somehow, a thing we need is usually all the way in, against the outer wall. Downside of course is that we'll have to move stuff in front of the basket to slide it out. The plan is that this stuff will be items we use all the time, so this won't be an issue. We'll see how it works. It wouldn't be too hard to re-mount that sliding basket closer to the cabinet door if we needed to.