Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-21-2018, 10:14 AM   #41
Rivet Master

1967 17' Caravel
Oak Creek , Colorado
I had windows put in too. No matter where I look out of the trailer I can see outside.
Dingo Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 10:20 AM   #42
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Jim Falls , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydad View Post
pictures? Can you share some pictures? We are thinking about adding one to our place in mt and also in austin.

we are thinking 30' classic in the future also...extremely nice inside especially like the lounge! But, i want to wait till they get all these kinks worked out the 30' crowd is posting about...seems there are still a few qc areas they need to fix at as.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4077.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	411.8 KB
ID:	330088
Daquenzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 10:32 AM   #43
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Jim Falls , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydad View Post
pictures? Can you share some pictures? We are thinking about adding one to our place in mt and also in austin.

we are thinking 30' classic in the future also...extremely nice inside especially like the lounge! But, i want to wait till they get all these kinks worked out the 30' crowd is posting about...seems there are still a few qc areas they need to fix at as.

Name:	IMG_4078.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	306.9 KB
ID:	330089

My dog didn't come with it
Old 12-22-2018, 06:04 PM   #44
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daquenzer View Post
Attachment 330089

My dog didn't come with it
Nice!
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2018, 07:20 PM   #45
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Driftless Area , Wisconsin
@Daquenzer—that’s a great building. And a great point about getting a 13’ door. Thanks!
Old 12-22-2018, 10:36 PM   #46
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Jim Falls , Wisconsin
I know that many people on this forum are not overly concerned about cost vs value. I am a real estate appraiser and I often appraise homes with large pole barns. If you build a $50,000 pole barn you might get $25,000 back in resale; ESPECIALLY if you already have enough garage space.

Before you take the plunge, I would recommend calling up a real estate appraiser and get some advice. Probably the biggest mistake I see as an appraiser is people putting up an over improvement and then getting beat up when they have to sell.
Old 12-22-2018, 10:49 PM   #47
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Driftless Area , Wisconsin
Kind of depends on the property, though, don’t you think? Outbuildings on a farm can add value if done right. For example, if the door is big enough for a combine or large tractor.
Old 12-23-2018, 05:43 AM   #48
2 Rivet Member

Pearl , Alaska
Luckily I already had the pole barn....Just had to raise door height to clear AC...

Name:	IMG_1391.JPG
Views:	93
Size:	797.0 KB
ID:	330168
Deltaboy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 07:44 AM   #49
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Jim Falls , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by nryn View Post
Kind of depends on the property, though, don’t you think? Outbuildings on a farm can add value if done right. For example, if the door is big enough for a combine or large tractor.

If it is a working farm. I am thinking more of residential homes.
Old 12-23-2018, 08:01 AM   #50
Rivet Master

1967 17' Caravel
Oak Creek , Colorado
If you put up a pole building & sheet the outside walls you could use any type of siding you like. Same for the roof then use shingles.
This would make it a whole lot less barn like.
Old 12-23-2018, 10:20 AM   #51
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Jim Falls , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingo Girl View Post
If you put up a pole building & sheet the outside walls you could use any type of siding you like. Same for the roof then use shingles.
This would make it a whole lot less barn like.
If you use vinyl siding it won’t be as durable. If you use wood it’s going to cost quite a bit more and you’ll have to stain it. If you use SMART siding that’s really expensive. The advantage of metal is it is durable and pretty much maintenance free. I thought about just using T-111. Then it would mean using 2x6 walls 16 inches on center since I wanted to go 14’ high.

Then if you use shingles remember it is on a low pitched roof. Don’t want to have 14’ side walls and a 6x12 pitch roof. That would be a huge looking building. Also shingles tend not to last as long and if you are in snow country it would add significant weight to the roof since snow tends to get stuck on shingles. With a metal roof snow generally slides off easier and doesn’t get caught up there.

There’s a good reason that most storage buildings are metal. Durable, easy to maintain, and cost effective.

Also you can make metal buildings very attractive if done right. They don’t have to look like a barn.
Old 12-23-2018, 10:33 AM   #52
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Jim Falls , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by nryn View Post
Also a good rule of thumb is drive up and down your area. See what people have built. If you see lots of pole buildings on residential properties then you will more likely recoup the cost since people want them. If you see one or two pole barns then you might have a problem in recouping much of your cost.

It’s kind of like pools. In my area in WI we have a few people that put pools in. Waste of money. They get nothing back in resale value. People just don’t want them. Too expensive to maintain for such a short season. Most people fill them in.

Now go to Phoenix and just about every house has a pool. It’s a very typical amenity. If you don’t have a pool it will hurt your value.

Same principle applies to outbuildings like pole barns. I know that if I try to resell my property tomorrow I might get about half of my cost back in resale. I already have a 3 car garage. But if I live here another 10 years I save lots of storage cost and my AS will be maintained better. Thus over time my value will go up. So I won’t get hit too hard. Plus there’s the convenience etc. Also I purposely kept it modest since I live in a modest house.

But whatever you do don’t build a really nice pole barn for 100,000 with a modest house. You will really get knocked on resale value.

Modest house = modest pole building.
Expensive house = modest or expensive pole building.
Old 12-23-2018, 11:25 AM   #53
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2013 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2012 20' Flying Cloud
Small Town , *** Big Sky Country ***Western Montana
Quote:
I know that many people on this forum are not overly concerned about cost vs value. I am a real estate appraiser and I often appraise homes with large pole barns. If you build a $50,000 pole barn you might get $25,000 back in resale; ESPECIALLY if you already have enough garage space.

Before you take the plunge, I would recommend calling up a real estate appraiser and get some advice. Probably the biggest mistake I see as an appraiser is people putting up an over improvement and then getting beat up when they have to sell.
Kellog Kid - Very nice; we especially like the proportions. Stop by and say hello when you get over to MT.

Daq- If you have already taken the "plunge" on an expensive Airstream, the extra cost for adequate storage and recapture of cost is really moot ...if it prevents a loss to your RV ... just another old insurance adjuster's opinion!
"But whatever you do don’t build a really nice pole barn for 100,000 with a modest house. You will really get knocked on resale value. " WHO does that?

Dingo- We partially sided our "AS storage" barn with the same cement siding as we have on the house...painted the same too.
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 12:57 PM   #54
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2013 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2012 20' Flying Cloud
Quote:
Originally Posted by mefly2 View Post
Kellog Kid - Very nice; we especially like the proportions. Stop by and say hello when you get over to MT.

Daq- If you have already taken the "plunge" on an expensive Airstream, the extra cost for adequate storage and recapture of cost is really moot ...if it prevents a loss to your RV ... just another old insurance adjuster's opinion!
"But whatever you do don’t build a really nice pole barn for 100,000 with a modest house. You will really get knocked on resale value. " WHO does that?

Dingo- We partially sided our "AS storage" barn with the same cement siding as we have on the house...painted the same too.
Here are some exterior shots ... don't think we over did it - we expect to get all of the investment out of the modest barn if/when we sell the property ... and it blends nicely. Usually we would have several feet of snow by now .... but just Christmas lights dangling. LOL
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	AS.Barn_20181223_120003.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	294.0 KB
ID:	330197   Click image for larger version

Name:	AS barn+house_20181223_120211.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	353.8 KB
ID:	330198  

Old 12-23-2018, 01:08 PM   #55
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2013 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2012 20' Flying Cloud
The lean-to addition to the side of the storage barn adds to the versatility of the structure ... covered barbeque / patio area, truck parking (Silver does not like to be far from Eddie), tractor parking, or summer season cover up for Eddie ... with easy access for loading before departures. Photo taken before addition of concrete walkway to side door.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Barn.AS_2017-05-14_06-36-00_408_Barn.AS.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	267.1 KB
ID:	330208  
Old 12-23-2018, 04:21 PM   #56
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Jim Falls , Wisconsin
Quote:

1. I don’t particularly like to throw away money. I bought an AS because they have better resale value and should I decide to sell it I’m not going to get beat up as badly. And I can sell it quickly. Yes it is a luxury, but why spend more money than necessary and yet have an adequate storage for the AS.

2. Who does it? You’d be surprised! I’ve seen some pretty palacious pole barns. 1400sf house with 2 car garage and nearly 6000sf pole barn all insulated. Needless to say that is an over build. You figure it out at $25 per sf.

3. Insurance adjusting is much different than determining market value.
Old 12-23-2018, 04:23 PM   #57
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Jim Falls , Wisconsin
Quote:
Here are some exterior shots ... don't think we over did it - we expect to get all of the investment out of the modest barn if/when we sell the property ... and it blends nicely. Usually we would have several feet of snow by now .... but just Christmas lights dangling. LOL
Your pole barn fits well with your house. Typically someone buying your type of house will have “toys.” I actually saw a pole barn that 6600 sq’ this past year. He got beat up real badly on resale. And that was even on a million dollar sale.
Old 12-23-2018, 07:13 PM   #58
Rivet Master

1967 17' Caravel
Oak Creek , Colorado
Quote:
If you use vinyl siding it won’t be as durable. If you use wood it’s going to cost quite a bit more and you’ll have to stain it. If you use SMART siding that’s really expensive. The advantage of metal is it is durable and pretty much maintenance free. I thought about just using T-111. Then it would mean using 2x6 walls 16 inches on center since I wanted to go 14’ high.

Then if you use shingles remember it is on a low pitched roof. Don’t want to have 14’ side walls and a 6x12 pitch roof. That would be a huge looking building. Also shingles tend not to last as long and if you are in snow country it would add significant weight to the roof since snow tends to get stuck on shingles. With a metal roof snow generally slides off easier and doesn’t get caught up there.

There’s a good reason that most storage buildings are metal. Durable, easy to maintain, and cost effective.

Also you can make metal buildings very attractive if done right. They don’t have to look like a barn.
Mine is metal and does not look like a barn at all.
Old 12-23-2018, 10:49 PM   #59
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
Just ran across this thread. I didn't read all of it but I will jump in as I had a pole barn built with insulation and a concrete floor. Cost? $19,000 for a 30 x 60.

I hired a group of Amish and the building was up in one week. I live in Ohio with a large population of Amish. They worked sunrise to sundown. Great quality and has lasted me over time. One 8 x 12 garage door and one 16 x 12 door. Also one man door.

Just a thought.

x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\101970\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\/x\x/x\x/x
Tom & Doty
2019 Airstream Classic 30 Twin
turk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 12:12 PM   #60
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
Your pole barn fits well with your house. Typically someone buying your type of house will have “toys.” I actually saw a pole barn that 6600 sq’ this past year. He got beat up real badly on resale. And that was even on a million dollar sale.
Daq- I disagree with your assertion about a pole barn not adding value...not sure where you live, but an addition like a nice pole barn or RV garage is something most of us "guys" would love to see when looking for a new home if there is space and no HOA's! Problem is, in many neighborhoods the HOAs may not permit. I know I am looking for solutions for both MT and TX now (no HOA's). My good friend been selling real estate for 45 years says "great addition" if done right. I doubt anyone buying a "million dollar" home is complaining about the pole barn or anything else....that type dollar usually has a good selection of homes to choose. By the way, usually it's the home that gets the most attention...the garage or pole barn is added value! Anyhow, off topic now...
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote