Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-12-2012, 09:53 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Scottsdale , Arizona
Question Looking to buy '68 or '70s Airstream in AZ

I'd like to find a 28' to 31' 68 through the 70's to renovate & live in. I have a partial cash payment and would like to do the rest in trade of my household furniture and a few more small payments to pay the balance. Is anyone interested in a deal like that? I've found some "as is" 79 31' Sovereigns for about $5000 and I was wondering if anyone could tell me what the retail price should be. On NADA it says average retail is $800 & low retail is $660. Why are people asking much more for these trailers?

I'm new here & I appreciate any advice & help finding my new home. I love Airstreams. Someday soon I hope to post my before & after photos here.
silverwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 01:00 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
Menlo Park , California
Airstreams are classics and hold their value better than their age would predict. $5,000 sounds in the ballpark to me for a 31' trailer in decent condition.

Most of the older trailers need work after a few decades on the road. The older trailers are likely to have some floor rot and some separation issues where the rear frame separates from the body due to rot near the back bumper compartment. Axles also need replacing after 30 or 40 years, so if they haven't been replaced by a recent owner (get documentation), plan on doing that before you tow the trailer any distance. Other systems fail over time, so be sure you know what works and what doesn't on any trailer you're looking at. Don't take "The oven worked last time I used it" as an answer. Who knows how long ago that was? Have them show you everything working.

If everything really works, the rear end separation issues have been fixed, it has new axles and the body is in good shape, it will cost more. A smaller vintage trailer in fully functioning condition could easily be worth $10,000 to $15,000. The longer trailers are a little less expensive than the shorter ones (not sure why, though they are harder to park and store and a bit harder to pull, and more prone to rear end issues).

Check the classified ads on Airforums for an idea of realistic prices and conditions. A trailer that costs a few thousand dollars will probably need at least a few thousand dollars more to make everything work well enough to live in it.

Best of luck with your search! Keep us posted and bring on any questions.
Old 02-13-2012, 11:20 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Scottsdale , Arizona
Smile

Thank you Webspinner. I'm having fun looking & there seems to be several in Arizona. I'm hoping to buy a 69 29' International I found if it works out I might have it by this weekend. I love this forum. Everyone is so friendly & helpful. I'm posting the photos when I purchase my Airstream & keep everyone posted as my Airstream dreams turn into reality.

Seems photos need to be uploaded to a file share in order to post here I guess. Nice forum format though.
Old 02-14-2012, 02:31 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Welcome to the Airforums! Another Arizona Airstreamer in the making! Great! Once you have your Airstream and are up and running we'll have to get you to a 4 Corners Unit (WBCCI) rally to meet up with a great bunch or Airstreamers in your area.

To post photos in message, use the "Post Reply" button rather than "Quick Reply"...you'll get a window to compose your post...scroll down to "Manage Attachments"...that's where you select and upload pictures to be displayed in your post...you can post up to 10 pictures in a single post (2 batched of 4 images + 1 batch of 2 images)...note the image size limits shown....Once the pics are uploaded, close that window and finish your post...when you submit the post, your images will appear in the posted message...
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 02:46 PM   #5
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Is this the trailer you are considering?
1969 Airstream International 29 Ft Travel Trailer Vintage Project Ambassador 1969 Airstream International 29 Ft Travel Trailer Vintage Project Ambassador | eBay

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 02:50 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
Send a message via Yahoo to AIR-Quarius Send a message via Skype™ to AIR-Quarius
They also have people who are qualified inspectors, before you make a purchace- it would be a good bet to have one of the inspectors come look at what you have found before you buy! Good Luck!
Old 02-14-2012, 04:19 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Scottsdale , Arizona
Yes azflycaster. This is the one. There seems to be several sprinkled through out AZ. All I need to do is raise a few more thousand to purchase one. I'm trying to sell my furniture I won't need anymore because I plan on living in it. I need working air & heat & I plan on refurbishing the interior 1st. If anyone of you awesome people know someone who needs nice furniture, please let me know. Living room/Dining room

I have a paid for RV space since the 1st deal fell through & I want to fill it asap.
Old 02-14-2012, 08:17 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Scottsdale , Arizona
What do you think this Ebay 69 trailer is worth from the photos? I don't think there's a heater or air & it looks a little rusty.
Old 02-14-2012, 09:52 PM   #9
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Hi, silverwoman!

Just FYI, you can post a "wanted" ad on the Classifieds here. Look up top, and you'll see a link, and in there is a separate section for want ads.

You will probably need to log in there again, just use the same user name and password you created to get on here.

Good luck!

ps: Personally, I would not tie the concept of selling the furniture to getting an Airstream too tightly.

The chances that someone has an interesting trailer AND wants your furniture could make the deal more complicated than either of you might want it.
Aage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 10:17 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Now Silverwomen, take your time and learn something about Airstreams. You did not marry the first fella you dated did you?

You need to look at lots of Airstreams to learn about them and find out which floor plan and style that you like. It is easy to buy one, not so easy to buy the right one. If you buy the wrong one, what are you going to do when the right one comes along?

Dan
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 10:47 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Scottsdale , Arizona
OK Thanks guys but I have been looking. I'm obsessed right now so watching videos, reading & researching Airstreams is about the ONLY thing I do lately so I would really love your thoughts on how much you would want to pay for this trailer. I know it needs a lot of work and my son is going to help me. My offers been accepted ~ feed back from the pros is what I need. Thanks for the help & humor.
Old 02-14-2012, 11:48 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
Menlo Park , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverwoman View Post
Seems photos need to be uploaded to a file share in order to post here I guess. Nice forum format though.
Photos can be posted directly into a thread. Click on the "Go Advanced" button below the reply window, then click the tiny paperclip in the top row of the toolbar above the window. Follow the upload directions from there.

To insert your uploaded pictures into your post, click the paperclip again and you'll get a drop down menu with the pictures you just uploaded.

This inserts pictures that fit in the post but can be enlarged with a single click.
Old 02-15-2012, 11:31 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Silverwoman

You may want to post more photos, expecially of the plumbing and electrical systems. Looks, like the Airstream spent some time in one location since the toilet, stove and fridge are all residential (non rv) appliances.

Dan
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 11:58 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2008 27' Classic FB
1959 22' Flying Cloud
fairview , New Mexico
Looks like the fresh water tank is missing also. The tank was in the front above the floor.

Avion C11
1959 Flying Cloud
1969 Tradewind
1973 Safari
1983 34 ft Limited
2004 F250 superduty ext cab
2014 F350 longbed superduty crewcab
arodriguez60 is offline   Reply With Quote