Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-21-2024, 08:10 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2024 25' Trade Wind
Seattle , Washington
Kids in the Lounge: Preventing Rolloff

I'm curious if anyone has some tips or strategies for kids in the L-shaped lounge section of Airstreams. Both our kids move and twist a lot in their sleep and have rolled off their beds at home. We may end up putting our youngest on the floor to avoid a roll off. Has anyone had luck in creating some sort of rail or rolloff protection that can be up when sleeping but stowed away during the day?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Trade-Wind-f2b-bed.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	285.6 KB
ID:	443650  
hikingcamera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2024, 06:03 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2018 27' Globetrotter
Mooresville , North Carolina
Haven’t tried this in the airstream for our grandkids yet (1st trip with them this summer). However, in our home we put a pool noodle under the fitted sheet at the edge of the mattress to prevent a roll off. You can just put the pool noodle in your wardrobe closet during the day.
GOUSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2024, 06:22 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2024 25' Trade Wind
Seattle , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by GOUSC View Post
Haven’t tried this in the airstream for our grandkids yet (1st trip with them this summer). However, in our home we put a pool noodle under the fitted sheet at the edge of the mattress to prevent a roll off. You can just put the pool noodle in your wardrobe closet during the day.
Thanks for that suggestion. We have little triangular wedges that can go under sheets. Our daughter has rolled over those . Maybe a pool noodle would be harder to roll over. We do have one with a solid hard plastic core. I worry about getting fitted sheets that will be tight enough to hold them in the lounge, but may still be worth experimenting with. Thanks!
Old 05-22-2024, 06:25 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

Oak Park , Illinois
Not much help on this one, but our solution was to go to a 30' bunk. Kids get the back, we get the front and meet in the middle for meals, games, etc.

As odd as this may sound, most Airstreams aren't well designed for kids.

Of course, you have a new 2024, so I doubt you'd be changing. Maybe put some cushions on the floor?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2024 FC bunk.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	54.4 KB
ID:	443653  
sfranklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2024, 06:32 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2024 25' Trade Wind
Seattle , Washington
Yeah, not changing and not going bigger. Already not crazy about the giant 25 footer, lol. But I get the appeal! And agreed, we had a floor plan better suited to a family in our 19-foot SOB aluminum trailer. We had bunks that could fit actual adults in it. We had other problems with it though.
Old 05-22-2024, 10:24 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
Dry Branch , Georgia
Pillows on the floor?
Buckless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2024, 10:42 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2024 25' Trade Wind
Seattle , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckless View Post
Pillows on the floor?
lol, yeah, we definitely do that to prevent injuries, but also hoping to prevent middle of the night wakings. lol.
Old 05-22-2024, 10:43 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
There are removable bed rails that might help, and they are lightweight as well as inexpensive.

We had this problem with small grands in our first RV, a Class C that had one of those drop down beds over the cab.

No one ever hit the floor, but we got up one morning to find a 4-5 year old curled up asleep in the dash area under the front windshield.

Where she had slid off during the night and just went back to sleep.

Maggie
Old 05-22-2024, 11:01 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2024 25' Trade Wind
Seattle , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily&Me View Post
Where she had slid off during the night and just went back to sleep.
Yikes!

Yeah, I have thought about something like we use on their beds at home, but they are designed in a way that relies on the bed frame and/or a solid mattress to help hold it in place. I'm not sure it would hold with the broken up mattress configuration in the lounge. Though maybe on the long part of the L, where there are only two mattress pads, and it might even fold flat against the access panels for the multiplus when not in use. We'll definitely try it to see if we can get it to grip well. Thanks!
Old 05-22-2024, 11:54 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2024 25' Trade Wind
Seattle , Washington
Following up on my own post. I found some bed rails that work a little differently. This one, for instance, has one fairly slim hook that I wonder if it could get between the lounge and the aluminum inner shell on the long side of the L to create a strong grip. Not sure if it would fold enough out of the way when not in use, but I may have to try a few things to see if I can find one that works well in that setup.
Old 05-22-2024, 02:20 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2022 19' Bambi
Northeastern , Pennsylvania
We've had good luck with inflatable bed rails under a fitted sheet. The Shrunks ones are nice, if spendy. They have a grippy cloth surface on the bottom so they don't slide around.
DarthBrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2024, 06:40 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

1989 25' Excella
Hershey , Pennsylvania
Years ago when our kids were little we had an SOB with one of those bunks that pulled down from the ceiling. There was nothing to prevent the kids from tumbling out and it was a long way to the floor. I made a simple bed rail out of 1 x 4 pine and attached it to the plywood under the mattress with two hinges such that it would fold flat under the mattress when not in use and when needed it would fold up to the vertical position right at the edge of the mattress. It worked well and kept the kids safe. Don't know if that would work for your application but maybe an idea you could use.

Ed
89Excella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2024, 10:25 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2011 22' Sport
Portland , Oregon
We used one of the fold down bed rails for our kid on our dinette for a while, then switched to using our closed beach umbrella under the sheet as it was already with us. If I were you I’d try pool noodles under the sheets, cost is low, take up little space, can be useful for other things.
SilverHouseDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2024, 08:22 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2004 25' Safari
Fort Collins , Colorado
Bedrail Alternative

How about a closet tension rod? Amazon sells closet rods that extend up to 126 inches. (See attachment as sample) You’d have to take the side bumpers off and extend between walls.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_4951.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	123.2 KB
ID:	443799  
Natomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2024, 06:48 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2024 25' Trade Wind
Seattle , Washington
Well, reporting back. We ended up going the bumper pillows under a fitted sheet route and so far it’s worked well. Three nights in. Neither child has rolled over them yet, and we managed to create little spaces for each of them. (The first night they slept somewhat together, but my son migrated onto my daughter’s hair, twice.)

Now I just really wish I could find fitted sheets that were a better fit. Airstream Supply has all sorts of custom fitted sheets but none for the lounge.
Old 06-03-2024, 07:15 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2023 28' International
Mercer County , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by hikingcamera View Post
Now I just really wish I could find fitted sheets that were a better fit. Airstream Supply has all sorts of custom fitted sheets but none for the lounge.
I was able to order completely custom sheets from https://www.custom-bedding.com/us/custom-bed-sheets/ for my lounge and dinette
jeffb831 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2024, 07:57 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2024 25' Trade Wind
Seattle , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffb831 View Post
I was able to order completely custom sheets from https://www.custom-bedding.com/us/custom-bed-sheets/ for my lounge and dinette
Thanks for the rec! I'll check it out!
Old 06-03-2024, 10:17 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2024 25' Trade Wind
Seattle , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffb831 View Post
Question: were you able to get them to customize to the rounded corners of the front dinette? Or just the general dimensions?