Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-19-2022, 03:13 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1979 29' Ambassador
2016 25' Flying Cloud
harrisonburg , Virginia
Keeping unwanted pests out

Hi! My husband and I just bought a beautiful 25’ Flying Cloud which we have parked proudly in our driveway. I like looking at it, it makes me smile. I am wondering how you keep bugs (especially ants) from taking up residence in the trailer. We have some trees in the area, and we do plan to do some pruning etc, but does anyone have a suggestion for barriers-physical, chemical, or spiritual, that will help me keep my trailer bug-free? I appreciate any suggestions and/or pointers to other threads. Thanks!
jendon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2022, 05:50 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
One thing you might try is borax around the tires and other areas they can climb up on also mothball However the best wood be to ask an exterminator what they use and if they would be willing to give you a spray bottle full of it and then spray around the outside of the trailer
urnmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2022, 07:27 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2008 27' International FB
Petaluma , California
As Urnmor said, the Borax (or comet cleanser) sprinkled in a circle around anything that touches the ground (wheels, stabilizers etc) works for short term parking in an "ant prone" area. For a long term solution for storage, remove all things that ants want (sugar, food) from your trailer and to keep bugs out of the fridge mechanical area we have a long dog tick collar threaded around the enclosure and along the front access to deter spiders and bugs from entering. - Brad
SuperTrouper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2022, 08:00 AM   #4
Trailer Sold, Waving

2019 26' Flying Cloud
Stettler , Alberta
In camps all over the country, I see folks placing a string of LED lights under their RVs and tow vehicles.
WBCCI #6679
Acheron2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 11:49 AM   #5
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

First step is to pull all of the "ant food" out of the trailer. With nothing to eat, critters are much less likely to take up residence. If they do move in, with no food their population isn't going to explode on you.

Next up, there are very normal ant bait / mouse bait / alligator bait gizmos available down at the local bit box store. A scattering of these in and around the trailer is likely to have an impact on the local population. As mentioned above, a local exterminator can do this sort of thing for you.

If you are heading in and out of the trailer a lot, flying bugs will be a problem this time of year. You can spray the area with this or that. It might help a bit for some sorts of pests. We use Thermacell gizmos right by the door to reduce the mosquito population at the entry point. That's not a practical thing to do long term ....

Fun !!!

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 12:33 PM   #6
Escape Pod II

2022 23' Flying Cloud
2018 22' Sport
Orange , Texas
The best bug killer that I know of is Demon WP. An exterminator told me about using it. It is especially tough on cock roaches and lists ants among the other pests it controls. Spray the underside of the trailer and on the ground under it. Boric acid is another good product.