Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-23-2015, 08:12 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2012 23' FB International
Woodstock , Ontario
[QUOTE
"But I suspect having an RV is a lot like having (a) a swimming pool, (b) a boat, (c) a summer cabin, (d) I wouldn't know-- maybe a private plane??"

I had a sail boat..common knowledge was that a sail boat is a hole in the water into which you pour money.... and several swimming pools which I figure took about 100s hour per season for 2 or three hours of swimming.

I have had two AS; both 15 -20 years old at acquisition and neither of them cost as much as the sail boat in repairs and I spend a lot less time 'doing' around the AS than I needed to do on the swimming pool.
JCW
JCWDCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 10:40 AM   #22
Rivet Master

1979 31' Sovereign
Milford , Ohio
It's a camper, therefore it will leak. Like others said, the upside is that only the subfloor is likely to be damaged. Leaks, once you find them, can be sealed easily enough, and if ignored to point where a section of your floor rots, even that can be area can be repaired without too much trouble.

The utility systems aren't any more complex than what you'd find on another brand and connecting to campground utilities is easy enough once you have some experience. It will also be possible to go without hookups, until you run out of water or run down your batteries. While unplugged to shore power, you won't have any AC power (for air conditioning, microwave, or TV) unless you make some extensive modifications. My point being that hooking up to utilities may not even be necessary depending on where you stay and for how long.

About the price, I certainly can't afford a new one. That said, after the initial depreciation, the used ones seem to hold their value better than any other trailer. They certainly last longer than any other trailer and have that mystique that will lure in potential buyers.

Its a camper, therefore it leaks.
blickcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 10:58 AM   #23
4 Rivet Member

Central Florida , Florida
Over the last ten years we have owned two new Airstreams (2005 classic 30 and 2008 classic 34). Neither leaked.

2008 Classic 34
Dodge Ram 2500 Crew Cab CTD
Air Apparent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 02:38 PM   #24
The Sign Lady

1969 23' Safari
1974 Argosy 22
1964 24' Tradewind
Victoria , British Columbia
Don't despair...

Don't get scared off, yes some leak, but with proper maintenance that can be kept at bay and if you have the skills to look at the internet and some basic tool knowledge anything can be fixed (or if you have the funds someone else can do it.) I am just above you on Vancouver island and with the three trailers I am restoring the two that came with leaks were because of lack of maintenance or in one case it was a faulty maintenance application.

With my latest renovation that will be for sale soon I had the skins off for almost a year watching for and repairing leaks... Hey, here's an idea...you could get a fixer upper one and tinker with it for a couple years and you can have it on the road for when the grandkids are older and think they are too cool to camp with you.

Granted we do get less rain than you do but still I think you should be able to find a perfectly sound one near you.
thesignlady is offline   Reply With Quote