Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-13-2022, 02:00 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2021 30' Globetrotter
Oviedo , Florida
How’s the heat treating you this summer?

We’re in our first week of using our Globetrotter in zero shade at the beach here in Florida. The sun is brutal. Temp is only in the low 90’s, but it is still hot. We have our ACs set to 80 and they seem to keep us comfortable. They even turn off occasionally at that setting. Night time we drop it to 71 for a nice comfy,cool, dry sleep.

No idea how it would be out west when the temps are well over 100, but we’re good here.
jondrew55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2022, 02:11 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Evergreen , Colorado
We just finished a 10-day trip across the Midwest, camping in Indiana, Illinois, and Iowa. It was brutally hot and humid. Temperatures were in the high 90s, and humidity was very high. Our single 13.5 BTU air conditioner did okay after it had a chance to run for a while, but it was miserable outside of the trailer. Throw in swarms of mosquitoes, and it simply wasn't pleasant or really possible to sit outside. We won't be taking the camper to the midwest in the summer again.

Up in the mountains where I live, things have been great. Temperatures have been fairly warm during the day, but down in the 40s at night and the humidity has been low. That's more to my liking.

Past:
Airstream International Serenity 23FB
Newmar Ventana 3715
Dennis C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2022, 02:26 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Fredericksburg , Texas
We were camping in SW Texas a month ago and the high peaked at 107. The 55 was about 50% shaded. We were able to keep the trailer about 76 during the day with the mini split, at night whatever we wanted. A couple of weeks ago we went back and the temp peaked at 106. This time we ran the AC at home the night before we left to cool the skin and insulation. Seemed to get down to set point a lot quicker. Our campsite was about 2 1/2 hours away.
Bubba L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2022, 02:51 PM   #4
Everyday is a GIFT !!

2015 30' Classic
Collins , Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to Nelson428
Rather toasty and humid out in south Mississippi both A/C’s are 15,000 so I’m “Cool” till I open the door and walk out, it’s like walking into an oven.

Y’all all stay cool and hydrated !!
AirForums # 66116
Nelson428 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2022, 03:24 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Not camping, but Phoenix AZ sucks all the fun out of summer. Why do we live here, for nice winter I guess.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2022, 04:51 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2021 30' Globetrotter
Oviedo , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hittenstiehl View Post
Not camping, but Phoenix AZ sucks all the fun out of summer. Why do we live here, for nice winter I guess.
Certainly why I like Florida. I don’t mind a bit of frost on the pumpkin, but snow and ice I can do without
jondrew55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2022, 05:13 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2022 27' Globetrotter
DALLAS , TX
Been over 100F everyday for nearly a month here in North Texas (Dallas). We get one of these absurdly hot summers about every ten years or so. From the forecast, it will be above a hundred degrees every day through the rest of July at the very least.

It was 106F in the shade at my house today and 107F yesterday.

Nice and toasty here...

My new Globetrotter 27 FB Twin arrives at the dealer in Buda, Tx (just South of Austin) on Sat. We'll inspect it on Monday and come up with a punch list for the dealer to fix before we take possession next Friday. The missus and I are so excited. First travel trailer and first Airstream. Looking forward to many adventures to come!!
foobar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2022, 05:20 PM   #8
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

The last three months have been pretty tough. We had *two* days ( yes 2 !! ) that got up into the 70's. Talk about crazy hot. Had to ditch the sweatshirt .... yikes. Rest of the time it's been in the 50's or 60's for highs.

Really tough to cope with those two days.

(Yes, we're in Alaska ....)

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2022, 05:42 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2022 27' Globetrotter
DALLAS , TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

The last three months have been pretty tough. We had *two* days ( yes 2 !! ) that got up into the 70's. Talk about crazy hot. Had to ditch the sweatshirt .... yikes. Rest of the time it's been in the 50's or 60's for highs.

Really tough to cope with those two days.

(Yes, we're in Alaska ....)

Bob
I think I speak for everyone when I say that we hate you Bob
Old 07-13-2022, 06:15 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Hendersonville , North Carolina
Owned a home in Naples, Fl. for 24 years and lived there full time 2001/2014. I love the heat and humidity. Worked outside for the railroad unloading rail cars. Talk about walking into an oven! Having established that the hotter the better for me the DW moved us to western North Carolina at 2000 ft. elevation in 2014. Last 2 weeks we were in Columbus, Ohio for family function and 4th of July celebration. It was hot but AS stayed at 76 throughout the day in direct sun. 1 AC unit 15,000 BTU. The RV park had a guy fogging the park every other night for insects. No bugs!
uraljohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2022, 06:37 PM   #11
Freedom

2023 30' Classic
Dallas , TX
Heading back from Dallas right now. We just stopped for the night in northern Arizona. We left on June 4th for Glacier National Park and then onward to the Tetons. We is be in Dallas for 10 days and then we will head to the mountains again. This summer reminds me of the one in 2011. The day I moved to Colorado it was 109. I never was so glad to get out of Texas that day. Since we retired a couple of years ago I told my wife I wanted to get out of hell aka Texas summers as much as possible until October because that is when Texas finally starts cooling down to a bearable temperature for me.
KCurtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2022, 09:23 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2016 28' International
Trois-Rivieres , Quebec
Now we know where all the summer heat has gone! It was 59 this morning and we have been in the 70's, with rain, for much of the month. But we should be getting 80's and 90's just in time for the International Rally next week!
DIY Solar: 500W Renogy panels, AM Solar hdw, Blue Sky MPPT controller, 470ah Rolls battery bank, 2000W Renogy inverter.
Hermes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2022, 09:40 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2022 27' Globetrotter
DALLAS , TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermes View Post
Now we know where all the summer heat has gone! It was 59 this morning and we have been in the 70's, with rain, for much of the month. But we should be getting 80's and 90's just in time for the International Rally next week!
Hi Hermes, I was just up in Canada (from Texas) to get some work done on my Cayenne at Can Am RV (in London, Ontario). Spent an extra week visiting the Northern Shore of Lake Huron and all of the nice towns along the Lake. Was a really pleasant trip. Enjoyed meeting Canadians (always friendly) and the weather was fabulous (highs in the 70's all week). Had to deal with the occasional rainstorm almost every day, but they were usually pretty short.

You should come down to Texas and warm up in our 105-109F weather
Old 07-14-2022, 10:01 AM   #14
4 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Charleston , South Carolina
I’m staring at the water in Blind River, ON where it’s beautifully sunny and cool. I spent a few days in Sault Ste Marie, MI getting some supplies and it was mostly nice except for a few warm afternoons that I thought were too hot. I try to park in the shade whenever I head into a restaurant for the evening, and I use the fan to push cooler air into the coach. I’m usually able to find a free parking spot where I run the generator and the AC for about 30 minutes. I close everything up at night and run a Milwaukee fan. In the morning, I charge the battery with a DC charger. I would like to be somewhere cooler as I find anything over about 70 degrees to be too warm. I should be in Newfoundland soon.
Old 07-14-2022, 10:16 AM   #15
diesel maniac

Airstream - Other
Tucson , AZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hittenstiehl View Post
Not much better down the road from you. We did spend 9 days in NM and several days of rain up there, 62-64F day and night. Right outside of Las Vegas, NM.
Old 07-14-2022, 10:43 AM   #16
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by foobar View Post
I think I speak for everyone when I say that we hate you Bob
Hi

Well it is pretty tough being here by the sea shore and dealing with these temps. .

Looks like it might rain in a couple of days. So far it's been pretty dry in this part of the state (some areas further north not so much). The rain is typically what nukes your activities up here.

As with anyplace, weather here or weather there is a risk when you plan months (or years) ahead of time. It could be a whole lot worse here, we lucked out. I suppose you could make a "next week in Homer AK instead of Miami FL" sort of decision. I don't see the working well with an AS involved

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2022, 11:54 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2022 27' Globetrotter
DALLAS , TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

Well it is pretty tough being here by the sea shore and dealing with these temps. .

Looks like it might rain in a couple of days. So far it's been pretty dry in this part of the state (some areas further north not so much). The rain is typically what nukes your activities up here.

As with anyplace, weather here or weather there is a risk when you plan months (or years) ahead of time. It could be a whole lot worse here, we lucked out. I suppose you could make a "next week in Homer AK instead of Miami FL" sort of decision. I don't see the working well with an AS involved

Bob
Did you participate in a caravan, or wing it solo when traveling from the lower 48 to Alaska?

Alaska is on my bucket list but the only concern is the potential to beat up my new trailer (we hope to pick it up from the dealer next Friday!).
Old 07-14-2022, 01:21 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2016 28' International
Trois-Rivieres , Quebec
Quote:
Originally Posted by foobar View Post

You should come down to Texas and warm up in our 105-109F weather
Thanks, I did and I do, in Jan, Feb, Mar, ... Gulf Coast, Rio Grande Valley, Big Bend, and lots in between! Plan to go back in January; the weather is pretty nice at that time of year in the southern part of the Great State of Texas (as well as in neighboring AZ). There are a few of us Canucks who follow our feathered friends south. They've had it all figured out long before us!
DIY Solar: 500W Renogy panels, AM Solar hdw, Blue Sky MPPT controller, 470ah Rolls battery bank, 2000W Renogy inverter.
Hermes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2022, 01:33 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2022 27' Globetrotter
DALLAS , TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermes View Post
Thanks, I did and I do, in Jan, Feb, Mar, ... Gulf Coast, Rio Grande Valley, Big Bend, and lots in between! Plan to go back in January; the weather is pretty nice at that time of year in the southern part of the Great State of Texas (as well as in neighboring AZ). There are a few of us Canucks who follow our feathered friends south. They've had it all figured out long before us!
I've probably been stuck behind some of your fellow "winter Texans" on the road once in a while, lol. A hearty welcome to you though.

Most places on the planet have a period of a few months where the climate sucks (Mid June - Mid Sept in Texas), Oct - April in the Pacific NW, etc.

I have to say that winters in Texas are generally very nice excepting the occasional and rare hard freeze/ice-storm-winter-apocalypse :-) Spring and Fall are great as long as you ignore the Tornados and hail storms ... wait ... why do I live here ? ... hmm ...

These events are the exception rather than the norm, but they do occur. Oh, I forgot about the occasional hurricanes too!!
Old 07-14-2022, 01:42 PM   #20
Futurist

2021 27' Flying Cloud
Madison , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis C View Post
We just finished a 10-day trip across the Midwest, camping in Indiana, Illinois, and Iowa. It was brutally hot and humid. Temperatures were in the high 90s, and humidity was very high. Our single 13.5 BTU air conditioner did okay after it had a chance to run for a while, but it was miserable outside of the trailer. Throw in swarms of mosquitoes, and it simply wasn't pleasant or really possible to sit outside. We won't be taking the camper to the midwest in the summer again.
Just need to come a little farther north when traveling to the midwest in the summer, to Minnesota/Wisconsin/Michigan, where daytime temps are mostly in the 70's and 80's, and nighttime in the 60's. We've done a few trips so far this year within the aforementioned states, and the weather has mostly been terrific, only having to run our A/C on a handful of days.

When it is hot, I can't say enough good about this Geek Aire misting fan. It's been a lifesaver for us on the days when it has gotten into the 90's.
ealmasy is offline   Reply With Quote