Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-05-2012, 09:44 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Eureka , California
How Many Airstreams is Enough?

I've only been on this forum a few months, and we only recently bought our new AS - our first - and I assumed only one. But, as I read these pages, I see more and more people with multiple Airstream trailers listed under their avatars. HUH? Wait - are these trailers concurrent? You mean you have more than one at a time?

Well, it brings to mind a few obvious questions. Like, where on earth do you store them all? And, I suppose, how do you decide which one to take for a ride?

But the question that really worries me is this: Is this a disease like hoarding, where I will soon be jonesing for another trailer to add to a collection?

Those of you who are not trailer monogamous help me out here - - what happened?
redwoodguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 10:13 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1997 30' Excella
1961 26' Overlander
1954 22' Flying Cloud
1981 28' Airstream 280
San Antonio , Texas
They were available so I bought them. They are like potato chips or cats-you can't have just one
No amount of time will erase the memory of a great dog.
bwoodtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 10:40 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
1957 22' Custom
1963 16' Bambi
Vacationland , Maine
MTD-multiple trailer disorder!

The most simple answer is that ONE trailer is certainly enough.

But something happens when people buy Airstreams. The fact is we can only tow or drive one at a time yet that does not qwell the desire to find and buy a smaller, larger, older or newer model.

Many have said the only cure for MTD is buying a second or third Airstream. Fortunately for me I do not have storage space including indoor space to take on another project. I have had to pass on several trailers to purchase for this reason. This is a good thing.

So what are the movtivations behind MTD?

1. The need to rescue an american classic before rust, weather, tree limbs or rodents do there destructive work.

2. The first trailer/moho was too big/small or in worse condition then you were aware of. It will replace your first airstream.

3. Resale. This could be because of the rescue factor, desire to have a restoration project or just motivated by resale profit. (flippers)

4. The most infectious form of MTD: Bambisocuteimustbuyit. These little trailers work their way into your bloodstream if one touches even the door handle. be very careful.

Gary
wbcci #3363
VAC - Region 1 vintage Club rep
New England unit
safari62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 11:02 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1960 28' Ambassador
Vintage Kin Owner
1998 25' Safari
Avonton , Ontario
It definitely is a disease. Everytime I try to reduce the herd 2 more show up. I have 2 inside ,4 outside and 2 hidden from the wife at other peoples places.
1950 Spartan
Shacksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 11:06 AM   #5
Rivet Master

Oh Doug, due tell.

What else you got out there?

Enjoy,
Old 01-05-2012, 11:07 AM   #6
x

XXXX , XXXX
Omars

Actually we refer to ourselves as OMARS (owners of multiple airtstreams)
My obsession has been to own one from each decade as they are all very different in their design, construction and amenities.
My Harem is now complete. a 40's, 50's, 60's and a 70's unit. Personally I have no interest in owning anything newer than that. I also have a spare 60's which is doubling as a shed for now. None of which are currently camp ready but I'm working on that.
Now to add to this compulsion I am searching for perfect year correct vintage TV's to match the trailers. 2 down and 2 to go.
wasagachris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 11:09 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1960 28' Ambassador
Vintage Kin Owner
1998 25' Safari
Avonton , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by rideair View Post
Oh Doug, due tell.

What else you got out there?

Enjoy,
Not as many as you have on the go.
1950 Spartan
Shacksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 11:22 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Just one more for me when I get a place in the country.

early to mid 60's (haven't decide which one...it will let me know)
AND
a 60 Eldorado convertible, red w/ white interior and top

Take the old one when we do stuff like route 66
Take the newer one for heavy duty touring.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 01:13 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
One in the driveway at home or on the road on a trip. One on a lot at TR in Florida.
not a good economic decision, since we pay insurance and upkeep on both. The one in FL has a big dent in the roof and a bent rib now from a tree limb. But the 25' is perfect for traveling and the 32 ft is a lot more comfortable for the 3 months or so we use it. Will do it this way a few more years. Neither trailer will sell for much, but both are in good shape to use.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 02:03 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Eureka , California
All I can say is HOLY COW! Great stuff guys, and a riot to read. IO could definitely see the idea behind maybe a cute restored 60's era Bambi with with some cool TV from that era - maybe a GTO convertible or something. But, I am afraid we have prudently cut off that possibility by moving from our 1 acre rural house to a small house in the city a couple years ago.
redwoodguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 02:05 PM   #11
Pet Sitter Extraordinaire

1989 33' Land Yacht
Chattanooga , Tennessee
Hi, my name is Kathy and I own 2 Airstreams (at the moment!). This disease just kinda evolves. You get your first Airstream and think you are set for life. Then you see another one that has a different layout and think, "WOW, I gotta have it!" So you do. Sometimes you compromise by selling the first one, sometimes not. Then the THIRD one comes along and just screams at you "BUY ME, YOU KNOW YOU WANT ME!" Soooo you do. And right when you think this is the last one, the fourth one slips up on you and it is even newer, has better appliances, or the oven works. Soooo you think, "Hey I can do this." Soooooo you do. Then the Airstream motorhome bug bites you! Doesn't hurt too much.....could be fun......Sooooo you do.

Are you following me? I am now on my sixth Airstream and don't regret a bit of it. Will only own Airstreams, but have learned not to say, "This is my last one."

Hi, my name is Kathy and I own 2 Airstreams (at the moment!).
kposey is offline   Reply With Quote