Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-12-2013, 06:10 PM   #61
Rivet Master

1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMT View Post
This generation of kids are electronic savvy. They have movies to watch and re-watch, video games, legos, all manner of gadgets and toys.
I guess there's different ways to skin that cat, but when we're camping there's a fire, there's smores, there's boating, there's swimming in the lake, there's fishing and reading stories.

What there isn't is TV and iPad and video games. We leave all that in the city. By the end of the day our three year old is so pooped, he wouldn't be able to watch a movie if we paid him.

Rain days see games and books. If there's too much rain for too long, we change location or just hitch up and drive home.

Personally, with no offence intended to those who like them (sorry Pharm), I find the bunkhouse models cramped and dark. One thing I love about Airstreams is the feeling of openness and the huge windows. In a bunkhouse, all that disappears.
andreasduess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 06:20 PM   #62
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Bunkhouse owners all seem to love them - the loss of the panoramic windows noted though - it's a trade off

I think calling it "overkill" however is out of place as plenty of couples use 30' sofa models and no kids

The bunkhouse has appeal for reasons stated

There is appeal for having smaller for other reasons - all compromises

I like yours andreas though - although I'd like to see more pics

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 06:41 PM   #63
Rivet Master

1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by PharmGeek View Post
all compromises
That's the truth right there.

Will post some more pics when I've taken some decent ones. This summer/early fall has been ridiculously busy at work, so we didn't get out as much as we would have liked to.

You're right about the "overkill" comment. Even if it were just my wife and I, we'd probably still keep the 34'. The dinette is comfortable for eating, the galley is usable, the sofa is comfortable.
Old 09-12-2013, 09:37 PM   #64
Rivet Master

1986 32' Excella
Currently Looking...
Canton , Georgia
Man, we LOVE our bunkhouse. Granted, it's a custom one, but we were adamant that all the windows be fully operational despite the bunks, and they are. With our center bunks hinged up and stowed, even the bunk room is airy and bright. I do those those airstream windows. I do wish we had done vista views, though. That might be my only complaint about our trailer. I think the new bunkhouse has them!
Skatiero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 05:59 AM   #65
Rivet Master

1997 34' Limited
1970 27' Overlander
South of Atlanta , Georgia
We are a family of four plus dog (Mid sized Weim 56lbs). Presently we camp in a 1997 34' which is very spacious for us. Rear twins for my wife and I, dinette for our 13 year old daughter and front couch for our 15 year old son. Dog sleeps in her kennel in the trailer as well. We will eventually redo the front couch into a larger "L" of "J" shape to add more seating and sleeping space as the kids friends tend to be big at this point. All that said, I am also in the process of redoing a 1970 27' mid twin. The mid twin will easily allow for bunks above to sleep four and a remodel of the front couch to the "J" shape will sleep six.

Part of the $ debate is the firm belief that an Airstream will last far longer than an SOB and hold its value better as well. Someone earlier mentioned most SOB owners only keep them for an average of 4 years. This is largely due to the construction. They are simply harder to maintain over time. An Airstream properly cared for will last a lifetime and beyond. If viewed over that longer perspective, and Airstream is actually more cost effective to own.

Since you are back at square one, I encourage you to take your time looking and get the length and layout of Airstream you want, then look forward to many years of ownership.

There is a large list of Airstreams for sale here in the forums classified section. I noted one is a 2006 Bunkhouse. Many are in the 25'-29' range as well.
2009 Ford F150 5.4L
ProPride hitch with 1400# bars

AIR 41028
TAC GA-8
WBCCI 10199
Past President Southeastern Camping Unit (12)
Aviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 07:18 AM   #66
Rivet Master

1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
I really like the "J" setup idea. I was all ready to go there, but then moving the existing gaucho forward was the quicker way to finish this year's project.
Old 09-13-2013, 08:10 AM   #67
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
I had a pretty much identicle thread with fairly similar responses from folks...but work reading through...only 4 pages...not too much

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f516...-106222-2.html

silver27 shared in that thread an interesting personal experience: that they used to have a 27FB...they mised the pano windows and couch, but the bunkhouse was loved...and they shared wonderful pics
Instagram

then just to confuse you more with how everything works and opinions vary - see post#25
"
I have a 25 & my ten year old sleeps on the pull out front couch. He can bring two friends and all 3 can sleep there. My five year old sleeps on the dinette and she also brings a friend. We put n a movie and they are all content while we close off the bedroom and have our own tv and space.
As far as breaking down and setting up beds it takes literally 2 minutes. Congrats on the 30 Bunkhouse. See you out there on the road. You'll have no regrets. Check out Mali mish blog on Airstreaming full time with kids their inspiring. "

hahaha - opinions vary - totally expected though given all the choices and factors.

I think the loss of pano windows with the BH is a negative, but the windows in the new BH units are many in the center of the trailer creating still a very bright feel overall....the bunk house itself can be a tad on the cave-ish side, but still has two windows so not at all that bad...still not panos though so yeah

Old 09-21-2013, 06:42 PM   #68
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Draper , Utah
We bought an Airstream today! '
I woke up and told my husband, it is a good day to buy an Airstream.
I have aluminum fever!
It is NOT the bunkhouse. I could not get them to come off the price at all for the used one and I think it is overpriced because it is the dealer's personal rv.
We decided that since we have NEVER had a RV before that a 25' is a nice place to start. Oh, and btw, did I tell you we have NEVER RV camped before either !

We are excited and nervous about towing.
ShullsinUtah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 07:21 PM   #69
3 Rivet Member

2011 34' Classic
Sebring , Florida
congratulations!

My husband basically did the same thing....one night he just started talking about wanting to have an AS. I was like...WHY?? What in the world are we going to do with a camper? I HATE camping.

Well long story short, we bought a 30' Avion. Had it for 2 and a half years. Used it at least once a month and several times in the summer. Finally moved up to the 34' Airstream that he wanted. We have used it tons and haven't had it a year. Took the ultimate trip to Yellowstone this summer. It was great. We went off for Labor Day weekend and we are already planning for Columbus Day weekend. Moral of the story....should have gotten an AS years ago......because I LOVE camping now!!!!
megandrudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 07:42 PM   #70
3 Rivet Member

2011 34' Classic
Sebring , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreasduess View Post
I've read this now a couple of times and call me dense, but: WHY?

What do you do with a golf cart when travelling? Serious question, I have no idea.

We like to camp at some places that have four wheeler/golf cart trails. We have also gone to some state parks in Fl. that have beaches (Anastasia) that are a haul from the campsite. Trying to ride a bike while hauling towels, rafts, coolers is not fun. Unhooking the TV is a pain just to ride to the beach. That's why we like to take the GC.

But the BEST reason is because Meg, our Golden, LOVES to go for a ride in the golf cart!!!!
megandrudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 08:02 PM   #71
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
1961 24' Tradewind
Strasburg , Pennsylvania
We camped for years (just the two of us) in a 1962 Corvair van. We upgraded to a 13' 1961 Scotty...the small ones that you can't stand up in if you are over 5'7".

A few years ago we camped the perimeter of Florida in July in the Scotty. You have to really like your company to spend 16 days together in a 13' trailer. We had an absolute blast!

Picked up the Bambi II so we would have more room for the growing family...but it is not done yet. Might not be for all of next Summer either. We camped with the two of us and one little on in the Scotty (Front Kitchen model has a king sized bed). This worked well.

Now we have two little ones. A week before beach camping and realizing that the Bambi II would not only be un-camp-able, but would also not have an axle underneath it, I had to come up with a solution. I built a small bunkbed for the older girl to sleep in above our feet. The littlest lady slept with us on the bed.

Is it tight? You bet. Do we love it? You bet. And we don't take TVs either. We read or nap or play games. We spend most of our time outside.

BTW- our Bambi II will be a bunkhouse model. Since we had to redo the entire trailer to fix frame rot and floor rot, it is gutted...and bunk beds will replace part of the original kitchen and closet. The girls will know their "space" in the bunk bed the same way I did growing up in a '72 Airstream Sovereign.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Scotty-bunk-with-Ben's-feet.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	150.3 KB
ID:	196145   Click image for larger version

Name:	Scotty-bunk-with-Cora.jpg
Views:	311
Size:	153.2 KB
ID:	196146  

Name:	Scotty-bunk-with-Cora-napping.jpg
Views:	340
Size:	200.7 KB
ID:	196147  
Old 09-21-2013, 08:50 PM   #72
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
You will have a blast in that 25

Have fun - and PICTuRES!!

Hope to see you on the road one day!!

Old 09-21-2013, 10:15 PM   #73
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Draper , Utah
That is a fabulous bunk!!! Thanks so much for sharing your photos and your precious, little one too.
I still dream of having a bunkhouse one day, but for now, we need to get our feet wet with RVing and how to do it.
I cannot wait to see the finished Bambi II
Old 09-21-2013, 10:19 PM   #74
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Draper , Utah
PharmGeek -
We think it is a great way to start. I just could not part with all the money...lol!
Our little L4 has already been to 15 states by car; feet in the Atlantic in Charleston and feet in the Pacific in Monterey, all by car.
It will be great to know where we are sleeping every night and not having to do the BEDBUGS.COM check every time we are going up the interstate. Shivers just thinking about it.
We intend on going to all the National Parks and every state. I hope we can meet up.
We are Southerners, tried and true, so we will be heading your way too!
We will post pictures once we pick it up.
Old 09-22-2013, 05:54 AM   #75
DMT
4 Rivet Member

2011 27 FB International
East Coast , Newfoundland
Quote:

I guess there's different ways to skin that cat, but when we're camping there's a fire, there's smores, there's boating, there's swimming in the lake, there's fishing and reading stories.

What there isn't is TV and iPad and video games. We leave all that in the city. By the end of the day our three year old is so pooped, he wouldn't be able to watch a movie if we paid him.

Rain days see games and books. If there's too much rain for too long, we change location or just hitch up and drive home.

Personally, with no offence intended to those who like them (sorry Pharm), I find the bunkhouse models cramped and dark. One thing I love about Airstreams is the feeling of openness and the huge windows. In a bunkhouse, all that disappears.
When ours were 3 & 4 it was like that. They have different interests now, but still spend most of the day outside. Kids love camping in all its forms.
Old 09-22-2013, 06:55 AM   #76
Rivet Master

1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
Love the little Scotty campers. Not ideal for me at 6'7" but awesome. Is yours polished or painted?
Old 09-22-2013, 07:31 AM   #77
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
You have to make a decision that YOU are happy with - this includes price tag etc

You have pulled the trigger - now I would just have confidence and look forward to good times

25's are extremely popular

Look us up when passing through

Old 09-23-2013, 05:02 AM   #78
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
1961 24' Tradewind
Strasburg , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Love the little Scotty campers. Not ideal for me at 6'7" but awesome. Is yours polished or painted?
We love 'em, too! Ours is polished...I told myself if a small vintage Airstream is out of my grasp (price; availability), I am going to own a small polished trailer of some other kind...Scotty found my heart.

Now I have both.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ramp-and-scotty.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	177.0 KB
ID:	196243   Click image for larger version

Name:	ramp-and-scotty-4.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	224.8 KB
ID:	196244  

Old 09-23-2013, 05:47 AM   #79
Rivet Master

1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
So lovely - thanks for sharing the pictures. I am always amazed how large the bed is in these. Despite their diminutive size, they make awesome little campers.
Old 09-23-2013, 07:45 AM   #80
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Draper , Utah
Phargeek is right about being comfortable with the price tag.
We have to buy our TV too. This came into play in my calculations. The truck is really what sent my bh up into smoke. My husband will have to use it as a DD and he drives 50 miles a day. So, we are getting the max tow ecoboost, wjich is not inexpensive.
Excited and nervous at the same time.