Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-09-2013, 07:26 AM   #41
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by graysailor View Post
Good advice about the dishes and cookware. Does anybody have any thoughts on basic foods that store well and are used. Also, I am getting mixed reports about having the fridge and freezer on while driving.

New to RVing and just bought my Airstream so I am on the forum everyday. Getting a little anxious about my first trip to be taken sometime mid June.
First, don't let yourself be anxious. Everyone has a beginning...and, it is a process, not an event.

We keep one base storage area as a pantry, and always have canned corn and green beans, black and pinto beans, tomatoes (seasoned and not), a couple of favorite rice mixes, pasta, etc.

I make sure we always have basic ingredients, and a meal can always be put together (or stretched for unexpected guests) solely out of that area if need be,

What you keep depends on what you like. Plan a few meals and get out there. You will perfect it as you go.

It's an adventure. Enjoy it.

Maggie
Old 05-09-2013, 08:29 AM   #42
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Re coffee:

We carry our electric coffee maker, in spite of the space it takes up, because it provides good coffee fast. We sometimes lean over and hit the switch without even getting out of bed, and drink our first cup or two before putting the the bed up. Mmmmmmm, nice.

We have a stove-top percolator for boondocking and because it makes better coffee. The drawback is the time it takes, but we often use it for our second pot.

We also have an AeroPress, which makes a great cup of coffee.

Maggie
Old 05-09-2013, 08:32 AM   #43
2 Rivet Member

2012 19' International
1986 25' Sovereign
St. Tammany , Louisiana
Stocking the AS kitchen

Like AirsDream, I freeze my leftovers in Ziplocks and bring along on trips. This makes for very easy prepwork during camping, so we can enjoy the outdoor activities.

The food pantry is stocked with beans, canned tomatoes, corn, olive oil, balsamic, various cereals, Bob's corn grits, etc. Being from Louisiana, I also love Zatarain's products and carry their Cajun seasoning, beans, rice, and newer prepared offerings.

For cookware, utensils, and serveware, I duplicate my home kitchen on a smaller scale. One All Clad grill pan, a quart-size pot, a small cookie sheet, disposable aluminum pans for indoor and outdoor cooking needs, wooden and silicone cooking utensils, and a trusty OXO can opener. I always have plenty of Chinet brand paper plates, bowls, and cups, along with salad-size bamboo plates and bowls that I found at Tuesday Morning. I stay away from melamine because of the supposed toxic chemical leaching. After a number of experiments traveling with different coffee makers, we switched to a percolator for our must-have coffee (we like the sound), along with a pair of ceramic Krispy Kreme mugs.

Last, but certainly not least, we bring along our beloved corkscrew and various adult beverages!

Happy camping to all this spring and summer.
3blessed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 10:34 AM   #44
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
We keep the basics in the trailer all summer, in airtight containers. I restock canned stuff and others after each trip. In the fall, after our last trip, everything food-wise comes out for the winter. Coffee is percolator on the stove. One of us gets up and starts it going in the morning (I set it up before we go to bed). When it starts to perk, we get up. Same with the water heater every morning, except it doesn't perk. Fridge stays on while we're out, traveling or not. Gotta keep the Half-n-Half cold for the coffee. We do a lot of grilling when we're out camping, and we use a charcoal grill because we like them better than gas. Meals camping are usually simpler than at home.

Kay
Minno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 11:23 AM   #45
Alumination

2005 28' Safari
Hillsboro , Texas
Send a message via MSN to njoysrvin
We use a percolator we bought from Walmart and grind our own beans. Doesn't use as much space as a drip coffee maker and better taste
njoysrvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 11:27 AM   #46
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
We leave non-perishables and canned goods in from March-October, as well, including flour, grits, oatmeal, etc., in airtight containers.

Maggie
Old 05-09-2013, 01:34 PM   #47
Rivet Master

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Peculiar , Missouri
bunnyfamily,

All great ideas. Like others, we too keep our non perishables in the trailer during camping season. The wife is always looking at garage sales and thrift stores. Most of our utensiles stay in the trailer year round. We pack our dutch ovens (1 large and 1 small) as needed. We like to grill so we always bring a hibatchi.

Other than the adult beverages which are glass and our coffee cups, we do not carry glass at all. Lesson learned th hard (and bumpy way). I found some bubble wrap sleeves at work one day, so these are the large glass bottle protectors

We have found the Tervis cups and tumblers excellent. We also found some old Tupperware small cups. I also found a neat Corellware percolator (yep its like glass and gets wraped in clothes).

What you bring will evolve as you camp more. One easy way to figure out what you need and want is to camp in your driveway for a day and night, (or go to a local park). This will help you decide what you really need and whatyou can do without. You will also begin to 'repurpose' various containers etc. Also you will be influenced if you have kids and pets.

What you stock will reflect you and will become part of your personalization of your trailer.

Have fun and good luck!!!
drew05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 07:32 PM   #48
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by njoysrvin View Post
We use a percolator we bought from Walmart and grind our own beans. Doesn't use as much space as a drip coffee maker and better taste

Your joaking of course...

You perk for speed...

You brew for taste...

Bob
Old 01-02-2014, 07:36 PM   #49
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post

Your joaking of course...

You perk for speed...

You brew for taste...

Bob
You Keurig for both at the same time (especially with San Francisco Fog Cutter).

:-)
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 08:30 PM   #50
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSueMac View Post
You Keurig for both at the same time (especially with San Francisco Fog Cutter).

Sorry...thats an even bigger one cup at a time joak...

Bob
Old 01-02-2014, 11:30 PM   #51
TinCan

2016 30' Classic
Apache Junction , Arizona
Grocery stores everywhere so food is not much of a problem other then the items that you use everyday i.e, coffee, bread, cereal etc. Still refining the process. Refrig and freezer are large enough to hold several days of perishables.
Old 01-02-2014, 11:35 PM   #52
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Land Yacht 30 SL
Castro Valley , California
When I was a little kid my mom made coffee in a Chemex, designed by a brasilian scientist who studied water temperature, contact time with grounds, etc. for best taste. Now, my wife drinks decaf and I need my caffeine so we go the espresso-style approach: I use the AeroPress and she has a small electric espresso pot, doesn't need as much attention as a stove-top. We've found lots of good stuff at REI, and there are lots of them across the country: I just saw one in CT, I think in Norwalk.
We have about 80% of kitchenware dedicated, most of the knives, spatulas, and I bring my Falk copper pan because it responds better, heats faster than other materials.
I also like to get my goods at restaurant supply outlets: usually cheaper and/or better quality than elsewhere, unless I resort to REI for camper goods.
Cooking is our relaxation/art form, so it becomes edible art, but there are also quickies in the freezer when the eating deadline outweighs the prep time.
Old 01-03-2014, 06:32 AM   #53
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Thumbs up

Rong continent.....

Bob
Old 01-03-2014, 07:39 AM   #54
Rivet Master

1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSueMac View Post

Nononono.

Keurig coffee is the devil's work. Old, stale, really, really, really bad for the environment*. There's nothing good about it.

*unless you use refillable baskets.
andreasduess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 08:20 AM   #55
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Just so this doesn't morph into yet another "My coffeemaker is better" thread, back to the original question…

I don't even stock a wine/beer opener, since I gave up alcoholic beverages fifteen years ago.

An Airstream Interstate only has a 3.1cf fridge (and that 0.1cf is the freezer, apparently), overhead lockers about the size of a sports duffel, and even less under-counter storage. No pantry.

One shelf of the fridge holds perishable breakfast ingredients; one holds meats for my portable grill and marinades/condiments that need refrigeration, and one holds diet soft drinks.

If the drive to the campground is more than a couple hours, I'll set a portable fridge between the front seats to hold soft drinks within reach, since as a solo Streamer I can't reach the galley fridge while the vehicle is in motion. At the campground, the portable fridge doesn't get used lest it run down the chassis battery, so it gets tucked in the driver's footwell out of the way.

The little under-counter space that I have in the galley holds minimal cookware: 7" skillet, saucepan, small steamer, small teakettle) stainless flatware, steak knives, one spatula that's actually a bit too big for my little skillet, one cooking spoon, can opener, scissors, a BBQ lighter, my Man Law® digital meat thermometer, a tiny wastebasket, and bags for same.

The overhead locker over the sink holds plates, bowls, cups, glasses, Saran Wrap, aluminum foil, and two sizes of Ziplock bags. And in deference to the folks that want to talk about coffeemakers, my Aeropress is also stored in this locker.

The microwave is used to store a roll of paper towels, a few cloth dishtowels, and a stack of paper plates while in transit; these get moved around as needed to make room, sometimes being set on the driver's seat for lack of anyplace better while the microwave is in use.

The overhead locker over the stove holds non-perishable foods, about a week's worth for one person if I plan carefully, along with non-perishable condiments and coffee grounds. And I do try to plan carefully; ideally I would end a trip with no food at all left over to unload, but realistically, I'll usually have one meal's worth left over.

If I'm attending a rally that I know will include a potluck dinner, I'll remove the books and videos from the rear overhead locker that I use for my entertainment supplies and replace them with a small crock pot and a microwave rice cooker. But without a potluck on the agenda, I leave those items at home in favor of books and videos for a rainy day (of which there are many in Louisiana).

When I don't take my toad, the cubbyhole between the galley and the driver's seat holds my portable grill. When I take my toad, the grill goes in the toad, along with all of my other outdoor gear that would otherwise be piled on the rear sofa or taking up space in the aisle while en route.

During hurricane season I leave the non-perishable food locker full for a quick bug-out if necessary (though only brand-new, unopened containers), but otherwise I don't leave any food or condiments stored in the Interstate. New Orleans is also justly infamous as a breeding ground for roaches, and I don't want to attract any tiny vermin in between trips. During hurricane season, the non-perishable food locker also holds some snack food such as trail mix that I can eat while driving; I was on the road for the Hurricane Katrina evacuation for 23 hours straight, with stops only for fuel, to make the same distance it normally takes me eight hours to drive.

I sometimes wonder if I didn't get a toad just so I could make mid-trip grocery runs without having to break camp. On one trip, I made a 42-mile round trip run to the nearest grocery store to pick up some non-stick copoking spray when I ran out mid-trip. To avoid a repeat occurrence, I now buy a brand-new can for each trip, and whatever's left at the end of the trip gets used at home, rather than taking a partialy-used can from home for the trip.
Old 01-04-2014, 11:16 AM   #56
3 Rivet Member

1991 29' Excella
Currently Looking...
Marco Island , Florida
Flameware

I will be purchasing a vintage Flameware glass percolator. I'll probably never know if it makes good coffee or not because my sweet husband never complains about anything I make for him.
It should be kind of fun to watch it perk through the glass.
It worked for someone once so what the heck...
Click image for larger version

Name:	flameware coffeepot.JPG
Views:	218
Size:	479.9 KB
ID:	202930
911Patriot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 12:16 PM   #57
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
Like some have already written, I have found a ton of decorative/functional stuff at thrift stores.

I try to find things that can be utilized in different ways. One of my favourite thrift-store finds was this $5 aquarium......

I can turn it into a salad bowl.......

Or a punch bowl.......

Or a lamp!......

One of my favourite non-thrift store finds (bought these at Canadian Tire) are these stainless bowls because they come with air-tight lids (not shown). They can be nested inside one another, so they do not take up a lot of cupboard space. They are functional enough to be used for mixing and storage of left-over food, and attractive enough to be used as a serving bowl too. I also use them as food chillers - put something like a potato salad in a smaller bowl nested into a bigger bowl filled with ice. They have even been used as ice buckets, Jello-salad molds, and flower bowls!

I'm afraid the dog has taken over the smaller one. The snug lid makes it an idea on-the-road water bowl.

Old 01-07-2014, 10:02 PM   #58
2 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Colorado Springs , Colorado
We have nesting pots and pans, A few melamine plates, bowls, glasses and a French press. Those r the things that stay there year round. Use mostly paper plates as we like to dry camp. Uses less water, too.
deecarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 09:28 AM   #59
TinCan

2016 30' Classic
Apache Junction , Arizona
I picked up a nice set of nesting pots and pans at West Marine. They are working out quite well. Saves a lot of space.
Old 01-08-2014, 11:49 AM   #60
2 Rivet Member

2007 23' Safari SE
San Diego , California
[QUOTE=AirsDream;1296843]I tend to do a lot of my "travel" cooking at home ... making Alfredo sauce, Marinara sauce, Beef stew, etc. and then freezing it in vacuum bags which keep for a long time once frozen. Then just pop 'em into the AS freezer when loading to leave. 'Heat em' and eat em' - that's my motto. Boil a little water with some pasta in it and put together a salad and dinner's done.

"IF THE COOK IS NOT HAPPY, THEN NOBODY'S HAPPY.
"

I love cooking and feasting outside when the weather is nice. Ambiance is important, as food always seems to taste better. We enjoy a table cloth covered table protected with a table cloth protector (heavy clear vinyl from Jo Ann Fabrics), secured from the wind with bungee cords, and place settings with an arrangement of fresh/silk flowers.

Wine is served in Rock glasses as stemware is too light, fragile, and tipsy on uneven picnic tables. Rock glasses are also used for serving/molding side dishes. For easy clean up, we use paper food trays and paper bowls. Disposable chopsticks and unused plastic flatware accumulated from fast food orders are used and tossed with metal flatware utilized for denser entrees.

In the truck bed, there are containers of additional cookware. E.g., a #10 cast iron skillet to braise pot stickers, skillet-bake pizza, and a wok for stir-frying. Vegetables, i.e., Napa, bok choy, and cabbage are stored in a cooler containing blocks of ice as ice chips melt too quickly.

Food is reheated in the Microwave oven or in a small, multi-tiered Asian steamer. All frying is done outside on our Volcano (30K BTU gas burner/charcoal grill).

My favorite, i.e., Mexican, Italian, Asian, Mediterranean, and Cajun entrees are cooked at home. Shandong noodles, mung bean noodles, ramen packets, and jap chae noodles (sweet yam) are staples as they cook quickly, store easily, and make for quick entree modifications to accommodate unexpected circumstances.

A whistling teapot is for boiling water. French roast coffee is ground at home and placed into 1 pot serving, re-useable zip lock bags. It is brewed in a #6 Melita plastic filter cone into a thermal coffee carafe. Long Chop sticks are ideal for quickly stirring foods reheating in the microwave oven.

A long slot toaster is used for browning artisan breads, folded flour tortillas, pita bread halves. There is nothing like freshly toasted ciabatta bread with coffee with breakfast.

There is always a pitcher of Crystal Lite Lemonade made and refilled on arrival.

Happy feasting to all,
Larry

Fenghuang is offline   Reply With Quote