Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-01-2014, 11:00 AM   #41
Len and Jeanne

2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
I have just gotten into making kombucha tea at home-- supposedly it is loaded with health benefits. I like it, especially with fruit and spice flavours added. However, the fermentation instructions say not to jostle it while it is brewing. Has anyone made it on the road? We'll be traveling in southeastern Utah for the month of April, so a home-made ready-to-drink stash won't last that long; and the canned health food commerical varieties are expensive.
http://www.culturesforhealth.com/kombucha

We find that in certain more remote parts of the country, it is very hard to find healthy ingredients like sprouts, 100% carrot juice, and organics. But a fresh full-meal type of salad is usually a good option. We also go in for wraps a lot: unlike bread and crackers, they don't crumble, crush, or turn stale (maybe not-so-good?) and they can be loaded up with healthy veggies, lean meat, or spreads.

Nuts are the basis of a lot of protein-rich raw foods. If you've got a food-processor on board, you're all set. We don't have room for one in the Bambi, let alone an oven; so three nice raw food make-ahead & take along dishes (for those without nut allergies) are:

1. mock sour or whipped cream is made by pureeing pre-soaked raw cashews with a little liquid + a healthy sweetener. Add fresh lemon juice for a more sour cream type of flavour. (Lemons are great travellers.) A "sour cream" recipe would be something like: 1 cup cashews soaked for several hours in water to cover, drained; 1/2 cup water (or "milk" product like soy milk) plus 3 Tbls lemon juice. Puree till smooth. For a sweet dish, cut down the lemon juice to about 1 Tblsp, but blend in some raw dates or about 1 Tbls. healthy liquid sweetener (like honey) or more to taste.

2. almond pudding. Soak raw almonds in more than enough water to cover all day or overnight. After they are tender, drain and process till finely ground. Add raw dates and a little liquid a bit at a time to blend till it is as sweet and as thick as you like it. (The ratio is roughly 1 cup of nuts to 1/2 cup of water.) For liquid you can use anything in the "milk" department, ranging from organic cow cream to soy milk, or plain water. A thinner liquid may separate from the almonds with storage, but just stir it back in. Flavour as you like: cinnamon, vanilla, or ...... (I just made one with diced home-candied orange peel, cardamom, and orange flower-water. Yum!)

3. open-face pie crust. An alternative to a conventional graham cracker crumb pie crust. Process 2 cups of raw nuts, dry or pre-soaked, till coursely ground. Blend in 1 cup of dried fruit (dates are always good, but others work, too,) processed just until you have a sort of "dough" that will hold its shape when you scrunch it into a small ball, not further. You can add spice (like cinnamon) or cocoa powder or not, as you wish. Pack into a baggie for your camping trip. To use, press the mixture against the bottom and sides of an oiled pie pan. Fill this with any no-bake healthy pie filling-- or bake with a filling, as you wish. Try this as the base for a baked tofu "cheese" cake! An easy no-bake filling might be topping the cashew cream with fresh fruit.

For local foodists, there are great sources of raw dates around Death Valley NP and southwestern Arizona!
Len n Jeanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 11:32 AM   #42
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug&maggie View Post
I saw or read something recently about genetically modified organisms, which our stores and produce departments are apparently full of, and which present their own issues.

Maggie
You mean Wal-Mart people?
Old 03-01-2014, 11:43 AM   #43
Rivet Master

1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Len n Jeanne View Post
I have just gotten into making kombucha tea at home-- supposedly it is loaded with health benefits. I like it, especially with fruit and spice flavours added. However, the fermentation instructions say not to jostle it while it is brewing. Has anyone made it on the road? We'll be traveling in southeastern Utah for the month of April, so a home-made ready-to-drink stash won't last that long; and the canned health food commerical varieties are expensive.
http://www.culturesforhealth.com/kombucha
Part of the reason Kombucha doesn't travel well is that it needs access to oxygen when it is brewing. You need the top of the vessel open, which is hard to do in a moving vehicle.

At home, we use the continuous brewing method, where you draw your weekly supply from a large brewing vessel. We use a 5 litre glass dispenser for brewing and draw between 1 - 2 litres a week. The benefit of this method is that the bacteria and yeasts have a chance to really establish themselves, keeping the culture healthy. The resulting drink is also deeper flavoured, which some prefer.

Kombucha stops fermenting when chilled, and keeps well, so you could just get a supply going, then take a cooler with you just for the bottles.

I introduced a Kombucha culture at work and after some initial scepticism (especially from the guys) it is now so popular that we will need to upsize the brewing vessel. It's a really, really good thing to do for you overall health.
andreasduess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 11:47 AM   #44
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
Mayo Clinic's website is usually my reference for online health advice:

Kombucha tea: Does it have health benefits? - Mayo Clinic

Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 12:02 PM   #45
Rivet Master

1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ag&Au View Post
Mayo clinic's website is usually my reference for online health advice:

Kombucha tea: Does it have health benefits? - Mayo Clinic

Ken
Quote:
Kombucha tea is often brewed in homes under nonsterile conditions, making contamination likely.
This kind of comment from the Mayo Clinic is complete nonsense. Kombucha has been around for 100's of years and has been brewed in environments far, far, far dirtier than what we have today. There is zero need to fear-monger like this (not you, Ag&Au, the Mayo Clinic)

The way Kombucha works is the same way that sauerkraut, kimchi, kosher pickles, sourdough bread, vinegar, yoghurt and even beer are created - bacteria create an environment that suits them, but is hostile to other bacteria. In the case of kombucha (and many other fermented products) this means creating an acidic environment. Most of the bacteria strains responsible for these reaction are good for us - we call them probiotics.

Humans have evolved over hundreds of thousands of years to live in a mutually beneficial relationship with these probiotic bacteria, specifically with strains that live in our gut. In a nutshell, we provide food and shelter for them, they protect us from bacteria that's bad for us, help us digest food, make nutrients available to us that otherwise would be flushed out and generally make themselves useful.

There is a fair bit of research out there that links healthy gut flora to everything from heart health to mental health, especially depression and anxiety. Here's a good article: http://www.livescience.com/40255-how...al-health.html

Due to the way that much food is produced these days, the amount of friendly bacteria we're ingesting has decreased dramatically. We're only now beginning to understand the consequences of eating food that's basically so clean it's dead.

I have experienced the difference Kombucha makes to my health first hand. More energy and better digestion are top of the list. If nothing else, a daily glass delivers a shot of probiotics.

For as long as you keep your kitchen clean and apply common sense (throw away a culture that smells bad or looks black) you should be just fine.
Old 03-01-2014, 12:38 PM   #46
Rivet Master

1974 29' Ambassador
1966 20' Globetrotter
Southern , Illinois
White Bean Dip, Gluten Free

One of our favorite appetizer spreads based on a recipe from Giada De Laurentiis' "Everyday Italian." She calls the recipe "White Bean Dip with Pita Chips" and says it is the Italian version of hummus.

White Bean Dip, Gluten Free

Ingredients
1 15 oz can of white beans, drained and rinsed (Giada says cannellini; we also like chickpeas/garbanzo beans)
2 cloves garlic
2 Tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1/3 cup olive oil
1/4 cup (loosely packed) fresh Italian parsley leaves (we use whatever fresh herbs we have on hand)

Place the beans, garlic, lemon juice, 1/3 cup olive oil, and parsley in the work bowl of a food processor. Pulse until the mixture is coarsely chopped. Season with salt (or not) and pepper to taste. Transfer the bean puree to a small bowl and serve with your choice of vegetables, fruits and/or carbs to dip into it or spread it on.

We tend to double the recipe using 1 can cannellini and 1 can chick peas. We like the smoother texture. We also use it as a base and substitute for butter and mayo when making sandwiches and wraps.

Giada's original recipe calls for serving the dip with toasted pita wedges.

nancy mac
maccamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 12:49 PM   #47
Rivet Master

I thought I would list my diet here.

Most will think it extreme. however since I have genetically high cholesterol and serious reactions to any of the common prescription remedies, I find it justified and both physically and psychologically satisfying.

everything is certified organic if available.

Breakfast:
an apple and a banana
orange juice.
Decaf green tea.
Other fruit is sometimes substituted.

Lunch:
A bowl of a cereal I make at home from organic ingredients. It contains corn, rice, oats. millet, flax, pumkin seed, and a 100% natural trail mix of fruit, nuts, and berries. The cereal is eaten with almond milk.

afternoon and or evening snacks:
raw and unsalted nuts, raw vegetables, dates and figs.

Dinner:

Rice and or beans, mixed vegetables
sometimes pasta and homemade sauce.
two or three nights a week meat is included. It will be either fish or white poultry meat.

Desert: unsweetened nonfat greek yogurt.

At sometime during day I will have at least three more cups of decaf green tea and one or two ounces of unsweetened dark baker's chocolate.

Other available snacks are Garden of Eatin' organic blue corn chips with no salt added. A can of no salt added kippered herring.

Any prepackaged foods must be no salt and no sugar added. (that includes all the names under which sugar is sneaked into our food).

Any additional liquid will be water or fruit juice.

Minumun exercise: weather permitting 100+ miles a week off road on my bicycle.
Bad weather: 45 mins at day on elliptical machine.

Ken

This is not a diet in the sense of something temporary, I have been doing this for about three years.
Old 03-01-2014, 01:14 PM   #48
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Whatever one's objectives are in the quest for "healthy eating," the best ingredient is planning.

There is a reality show called "My 600 Pound Life." It chronicles the pre and post-operative gastric-bypass patients who are under the care of a surgeon who practices in Houston, TX.

Many of these patients come from areas outside of Houston and TX to consult with this surgeon. They cannot fit into an airplane seat, so have to resort to car or van travel. What drive me nuts is this: all the gastric-bypass candidates (and/or the family member who is driving the vehicle) stop at fast-food restaurants along the way because "it's a long drive and we still have to eat."

A cooler filled with healthier options is an easy thing to do. This failure to plan at home or on the road is the reason a minor weight problem ballooned into the nightmare of being morbidly obese.

When it comes to Airstreaming, I plan (and prepare) my nutrition as carefully as my route. I cannot function, let alone drive, on crap.
Old 03-01-2014, 02:36 PM   #49
Rivet Master

Quote:
I thought I would list my diet here.

Ken

This is not a diet in the sense of something temporary, I have been doing this for about three years.
On other important antioxidant source that I left out:

1 or 2 glasses every evening of non alcoholic cabernet or merlot from here.

The World’s Best Non-Alcoholic Wines | ARIEL Vineyards

Ken
Old 03-01-2014, 03:26 PM   #50
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly at Night View Post
Whatever one's objectives are in the quest for "healthy eating," the best ingredient is planning.

There is a reality show called "My 600 Pound Life." It chronicles the pre and post-operative gastric-bypass patients who are under the care of a surgeon who practices in Houston, TX.

Many of these patients come from areas outside of Houston and TX to consult with this surgeon. They cannot fit into an airplane seat, so have to resort to car or van travel. What drive me nuts is this: all the gastric-bypass candidates (and/or the family member who is driving the vehicle) stop at fast-food restaurants along the way because "it's a long drive and we still have to eat."

A cooler filled with healthier options is an easy thing to do. This failure to plan at home or on the road is the reason a minor weight problem ballooned into the nightmare of being morbidly obese.

When it comes to Airstreaming, I plan (and prepare) my nutrition as carefully as my route. I cannot function, let alone drive, on crap.
FAN,

You are not supposed to watch shows like that. The next thing you know, you'll be telling us about what's happenin' on "Here comes Honey Boo-Boo".

I think you will enjoy this if you haven't seen it before. Be careful this is the adult language not bleeped version.

Raising the Bar (Season 16, Episode 9) - Full Episode Player - South Park Studios

Ken
Old 03-01-2014, 03:30 PM   #51
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
Hey Ag your breakfast is pretty carb heavy. You should cut the orange juice it has more sugar as fructose than we need.Just an opinion-- A great thing I learned,, and no I am not diabetic.///is to take your blood sugar an hour or so after a meal. You would be surprised at what foods raise it to unhealthy levels. You don't want it to go much over 100-130. I ate at a seafood place a few yrs ago, having their garlic rolls. When I tested later my BG was over 200. Very bad for your heat and arteries. Just sayin'
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 03:32 PM   #52
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
and Mac that white bean sounds great ,,there is a lot of good news about resistant starches, beans being one. These are very hard to digest and feed the bacteria in our gut. They are great for gut health which is very important for overall health and well being.
Sweet potato, and cooled rice are good as well. These are some of the carbs that are acceptable on a low carb diet for most.

Len n Jeanne - that kombucha is great stuff. I have heard terrific news about fermented foods, a lot of my fellow low carbers eat sauerkraut for example. There was a whole podcast about it on the FatBurningman.com show
AIR #005
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
Old 03-01-2014, 03:43 PM   #53
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
a side comment on salt. It has been discussed that the lack of iodine in salt is at the root of the rampant Thyroid problems that are seen today. Many of us has dysfucntional thyroid and don't know it. Symptoms are low rising body temperature in the morning, cold extremities and more. I had a rising temp of 95. This contributes to arterial plaque as well. I really don't want a stent or worse.
I now take a dessicated thyroid med. as well as Kelp supplement.
AIR #005
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
Old 03-01-2014, 03:46 PM   #54
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by weirdstuff View Post

That didn't last long, did it?

There's only been a few recipes shared, and a whole lot of arguing/discussion about what's healthy and what is not!!!
One thing about the forums..you can't say much without someone contradicting you. It has always been so. I have been on here literally snce day one. Now watch someone say it ain't so.
AIR #005
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
Old 03-01-2014, 04:13 PM   #55
Rivet Master

1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALANSD View Post
a side comment on salt. It has been discussed that the lack of iodine in salt is at the root of the rampant Thyroid problems that are seen today.
Yes. No argument here.
Problem is, the healthiest salt is unprocessed sea salt, which is naturally low in iodine.

Eating sea weed helps solve this problem. Even the dried snack sheets are good for this.
Old 03-01-2014, 04:27 PM   #56
Rivet Master

ALANSD,

Your point on carbs and blood sugar are right on. About thyroids, I agree with an article I read not to long ago. It's premise was there is not a whole lot more thyroid disease now than before. The increase is due to more people with hypothyroidism, being diagnosed and treated because it, its effects and treatment are becoming better understood.

I am not a doctor. I'm just parroting what I read or hear. An endocrinologist told me, when I asked about iodine supplements, like kelp, that they were more likely to further suppress thyroid function than they were to help and that I shouldn't take them. I did not solicit any other opinions, so that is just one doctor's advice. However it may be different for someone who has not yet developed thyroid problems.

Ken
Old 03-01-2014, 05:34 PM   #57
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Oh, Yum

Quote:
FAN,

You are not supposed to watch shows like that. The next thing you know, you'll be telling us about what's happenin' on "Here comes Honey Boo-Boo".

I think you will enjoy this if you haven't seen it before. Be careful this is the adult language not bleeped version.

Raising the Bar (Season 16, Episode 9) - Full Episode Player - South Park Studios

Ken
Ken,

Do pilots discuss South Park with ATC from the tower? The reason I ask, my flying friend is always sending me clips. He's on a trip now, and I can guarantee one will be forthcoming from the sanctum of another Ramada Inn somewhere.

And I do watch Honey Boo Boo. Come on over. I'll make you something with rice, beans, cheeseballs and ketchup.

Old 03-01-2014, 06:00 PM   #58
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly at Night View Post
Ken,

1. Do pilots discuss South Park with ATC from the tower? The reason I ask, my flying friend is always sending me clips. He's on a trip now, and I can guarantee one will be forthcoming from the sanctum of another Ramada Inn somewhere.

2. And I do watch Honey Boo Boo. Come on over. I'll make you something with rice, beans, cheeseballs and ketchup.

1. If I told you all about that, I'd be in worse trouble than Edward Snowdon. However I can tell you this much. There are double secret government communications embedded in every South Park episode. Make sure you watch the new just released episode where Cartman infiltrates the NSA, it will help you understand.

2. You have SO destroyed my image of you, and perhaps of all Canada. I will never look north with the same thoughts again.

I will eat the rice and beans, you can have the cheeseballs, and Please check the sodium and sugar content of the ketchup.

Ken

PS - this is my flying friend.-

Old 03-01-2014, 06:17 PM   #59
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Quote:
1. If I told you all about that, I'd be in worse trouble than Edward Snowdon. However I can tell you this much. There are double secret government communications embedded in every South Park episode. Make sure you watch the new just released episode where Cartman infiltrates the NSA, it will help you understand.

2. You have SO destroyed my image of you, and perhaps of all Canada. I will never look north with the same thoughts again.

I will eat the rice and beans, you can have the cheeseballs, and Please check the sodium and sugar content of the ketchup.

Ken
Okay, Ken. I'll omit the cheeseballs and ketchup from tonight's Greek Kale salad. Party pooper.

Secret government communications; embedments; infiltrations? You are a lot like my friend. He can discuss that ad nauseum. You two should get together (on the ground). He can be sarcastically blunt with ATC when flying. None of that good-morning and thank-you sir, stuff etc.
Old 03-01-2014, 06:31 PM   #60
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
I like your flying friend!