Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-08-2016, 04:42 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 22
Eugene , Oregon
Smile Has anyone used a Carefree Vacation'r Screen Room?

We have a 22' TT and would like to expand our living space. has anyone used an awning add on room to expand their living space like the Carefree Vacation'r Screen Room? How has it worked? What problems can I anticipate?
mrdfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 05:54 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
l don't have one but we recently did some park scouting for next winter's stay. We saw quite a few of the screen rooms, particularly popular with the large class A MHs. We have a Wenzel screen room that folds up pretty small. I can get it set up in about 15 minutes and it fits over the picnic table on the site. When the weather is nice we cook, eat, sit 'n talk, and do my job out there, bug free.
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Rich W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 06:10 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2018 23' Flying Cloud
Huntsville , Alabama
I use a Clam screenroom. Easy set up, easy take down. Following link is for a YouTube video:
http://youtu.be/6qHSO18qK18

Best of luck in your decision.

Ron

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Old 03-10-2016, 02:50 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1979 31' Sovereign
Spring , Texas
We like the Carefree Vacationer too. Kind of wondering why more of these products aren't made with screen windows you can actually close up, with everything built in. I had some concerns about compatibility with our Zip Dee awning so I contacted Carefree. The Vacationer is not compatible according to them.

We had a repair made to one of our arm mounts recently & haven't opened the awning yet. Once we do that, we can determine for ourselves if we can actually make our first choice possible. Sometimes, where there is wiil, there's a way. If it's not possible, my second choice is the six-sided Clam shelter with the built-in zippered panels to close it up.
Starstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 04:58 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
I have the Zip Dee screened sun room. Nice but a PITA to put up and down.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 06:38 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1979 31' Sovereign
Spring , Texas
Carefree Vacation'r Owner's Manual

For those interested in this product, this is the manual from the company's website. It might help you decide if it will work with the awning on your RV.

052564-010 Vacation'r 2012.pdf
Old 03-11-2016, 10:58 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2012 23' FB International
Woodstock , Ontario
The only problem I see is that the AS awning does not like wind! No matter how much tie-down you put on it, the rivets and screws at the roller attachments get fatigued and usually pull out on the road not in the park. An add-on room needs the awning up all the time does it not?
JCW
JCWDCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 11:14 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron A View Post
I use a Clam screenroom. Easy set up, easy take down. Following link is for a YouTube video:
http://youtu.be/6qHSO18qK18

Best of luck in your decision.

Ron

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
THANK YOU for this post. This is exactly the thing I've been looking for - Something one person can put up and take down - without assembling 300 small breakable parts to do it! Getting an AWNING down quickly in windy weather can be a major pain in the neck; add a screen room to the process and YIKES! The benefit of any separate tent is that if it gets whacked - it generally won't screw up the side panels of your A/S. One thing I would always do is get HEAVY DUTY ground stakes. Many tent and screen room ones use little 5-6 inch ones, which can easily be ripped out of the ground in a wind storm. If you expect stakes to hold you probably need 10 - 12 inchers.
Old 03-11-2016, 12:52 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Hahira , Georgia
Clam! 3 minutes.
Old 03-11-2016, 03:56 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2015 19' Flying Cloud
2017 25' Flying Cloud
Rosemount , Minnesota
Why I went with the Clam Shelter

I also went with the Clam. I chose to go with the model without the built-in wind panels. The reason is that I saw one webpage talk about how they roll down the accessory wind panels from the top about half way and this gives them airflow, a great view, all while they sit on their lounger with a degree of privacy. I went with some easy to use screw tie down stakes that have a lot of hold down power. The speed to set up and take down was a major consideration. Plus if high winds kick up and it cannot take it, there is a chance that only minimal damage to the tent would occur (and none to the Airstream).

An interesting review:
http://trailertraveler.net/the-best-...losure-period/

Clam 9879:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ilpage_o06_s01

Clam 9898 Wind Panels:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ilpage_o06_s00

Guycord Adjusters:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01...ilpage_o03_s00

Telescoping Tent Pole (there is some chatter about a high wind can collapse
the ceiling and this pole would prevent that). I still have to modify the top to have a soft top with a clasp to the tent strap at the ceiling peak:
https://www.rei.com/product/845322/r...rp-pole-single

Tie Down Stakes (small):
http://www.orangescrew.com/
BoscoMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 07:39 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2007 20' Safari
Old Orchard Beach , Maine
Clam screenroom. Easy set up, easy take down. Following link is for a YouTube video: http://youtu.be/6qHSO18qK18

That is very impressive.
2019-2022 President, Northeast Mountaineers Airstream Club
MaineStreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 06:16 AM   #12
4 Rivet Member

1979 31' Sovereign
Spring , Texas
Yeah! Thanks for the Clam votes. It was actually my favorite. Even the largest Clam still weighs 20 lbs. less than another screen house we found at Sportsman's Guide. My husband liked that one because the shape would allow us to set it up under the awning. But it doesn't seem to come with anything to cover the screens if you want to close it up a bit, and takes more time to set up.

Kristal
Old 03-13-2016, 08:21 AM   #13
3 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Hahira , Georgia
The Clam does have Velcro panels to close it up for sale on Amazon. It also goes up faster than anything else. 3 minutes for me, but you have to watch the video to do it right.