Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-05-2014, 03:49 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1991 29' Excella
Currently Looking...
Marco Island , Florida
Great Over-the-Rod Closet Storage Solution

I recently purchased from Bed Bath and Beyond this Airstream-closet- friendly storage solution. It has velcro that loops over the rod so no rod removal is necessary to install it. It is a convertible set of 6 hanging cubes that can be split into (2) 3 set cubes which is the perfect length for the Airstream closet while leaving room below them for storage totes.
Clothes on hangers all seem to fall in transport. This did not happen with the clothes folded and placed in these storage cubes. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20140805_160231.jpg
Views:	287
Size:	374.3 KB
ID:	218347
911Patriot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 04:17 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1999 30' Excella 1000
small town , Maryland
Thanks for posting. I will check this out this weekend.
streaminwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 04:20 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Canton , Michigan
Nice

I especially like the "no rod removal necessary" part.
HawkinGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 04:25 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
For hangers that will not fall try these, http://www.amazon.com/Tri-Lynx-1200W...lothes+hangers

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 09:33 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1991 29' Excella
Currently Looking...
Marco Island , Florida
Over-the-rod closet organizer from BB&B

It can also be purchased online from BB&B at this link: Real Simple® 6-Shelf Sweater Organizer in White - BedBathandBeyond.com

Click image for larger version

Name:	BB&B shelving.jpg
Views:	448
Size:	20.7 KB
ID:	218375
Old 08-05-2014, 11:13 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1994 21' Sovereign
Paradise Valley , Arizona
I also got the over the door shoe organizer and mounted one on the inside of each closet door to stash socks, hankies and unders. Is great to compensate for lack of drawer space and if you get clear vinyl you can see what is in them.
I will try to get a pic tomorrow. I can't even find my own pics on this site, thought I had some but seems all pics are gone out of my gallery.
Paradise Valley, Arizona
kmaggard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 05:08 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I like these, and wish I could use them in the Interstate.

Alas, our rod runs front-to-back, slides, and is stainless steel.

The wasted space in the closet is a chronic issue. Some have installed slideout trays of sorts.

I have seen fabric shoe organizers used in the inside of doors to store canned goods, too.

Maggie
Old 08-06-2014, 05:36 AM   #8
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug&maggie View Post
I like these, and wish I could use them in the Interstate.
You might be able to, at least while parked. Does your Interstate have coat hooks on the side walls right behind the front seats? Mine does, and I installed a clothes rod that runs all the way across and hangs from the clothes hooks. I originally put it there to keep me from bumping my head on the television; the rod forces me to bend lower to get under it, and bumping the rod is less painful because it's round compared to the trelevision that has a bottom edge. But then it occurred to me, it's still a clothes rod, and while it's too close to the front seats to hang my clothes from it, one of those storage bube thingies will hang betwen the front seats.

In transit, I carry stuff inside the microwave (lightweight stuff like paper plates, paper towels, and dish towels that won't crack the glass turntable if they bounce, but also keep the turntable itself from bouncing when I hit a bump or pothole) and inside the sink (canned goods and cleaning supplies mostly). When I park at the campsite, naturally I want to empty my sink and microwave so I can use them. So out comes the storage cube that I hang on the clothes rod, and all the stuff from the sink and microwave goes into the cube.
Old 08-06-2014, 06:48 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
You might be able to, at least while parked. Does your Interstate have coat hooks on the side walls right behind the front seats? Mine does, and I installed a clothes rod that runs all the way across and hangs from the clothes hooks. I originally put it there to keep me from bumping my head on the television; the rod forces me to bend lower to get under it, and bumping the rod is less painful because it's round compared to the trelevision that has a bottom edge. But then it occurred to me, it's still a clothes rod, and while it's too close to the front seats to hang my clothes from it, one of those storage bube thingies will hang betwen the front seats.

In transit, I carry stuff inside the microwave (lightweight stuff like paper plates, paper towels, and dish towels that won't crack the glass turntable if they bounce, but also keep the turntable itself from bouncing when I hit a bump or pothole) and inside the sink (canned goods and cleaning supplies mostly). When I park at the campsite, naturally I want to empty my sink and microwave so I can use them. So out comes the storage cube that I hang on the clothes rod, and all the stuff from the sink and microwave goes into the cube.
That's a great idea, Protag!

I got an expandable clothing rod to use, hooked to the inside of overhead cabinets across the rear after doing laundry, as there are always hanging things that are damp which need to dry before they can be put away.

It's perfect for the intended purpose, and, if weather is suitable, opening the rear doors a bit allows for line-dried quality.

A set of these cubes, using this same rod across the front seats, would be great for extra storage while parked.

That they separate into two sets of three would make their length appropriate. So many of these are way too long for Interstate closets.

And BB&BY has those great 20% off coupons.

Maggie
Old 08-06-2014, 06:52 AM   #10
3202 Ellie

1975 Argosy 24
milan , Michigan
Looks great
boliversr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 10:50 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Okay, so I took a $5 BB&BY coupon and bought one of these today.

Discovered two things: (1) my Interstate has a coat hook on the passenger side, but not on the drivers side. I have sturdy hooks screwed in behind the drivers seat, so may be able to make it work with my expandable clothing rod, anyway; (2) this 6-section item does split into two sections, but they are sewn together at the bottom, so you use both, side by side, or cut them apart.

The length, separated into two, looks to be perfect for the area up front, with one unit in the center and the other on the passenger seat.

Will try it out this weekend and report back.

Maggie
Old 08-06-2014, 08:56 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

1991 29' Excella
Currently Looking...
Marco Island , Florida
Over the rod storage rack

Yes Maggie let us know what you think about this solution. I think it is also of very good quality for the price. Good idea for also using a BB&B coupon. That would just about pay for the shipping for those that order online.

AWCHIEF many thanks for the link to the hangers! Unfortunately after reading the reviews of them @ Amazon, I decided to forgo them.
Old 08-07-2014, 06:36 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
If you live near a BB&BY, you can order online and pick up at the store, I believe, which would save the shipping costs.

I also picked up a couple of lightweight pants hangers in that same area, much less weight and less bulky than the steel ones with swing-out arms I have been using. Inexpensive, too, at $7.99.

Maggie