Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-23-2013, 01:58 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Wheelersburg , Ohio
Got my new baby! And a question about storage/damage.

Hey guys,

We got our Airstream this week! Bought it used, a 2013 16' Sport from a guy in New Hampshire that says it was never used and I absolutely believe it after seeing! We are more than excited and I just had a question (I'm sure the first of many).

I called AS to see what they recommended for a cover as we don't have a garage big enough to store her in and they said they do not sell one, nor recommend using one. Is that what you guys think, also? This thing looks brand new on the outside without a single bit of weathering or corrosion on the outside and we'd love to keep it that way. We passed up a few trailers that had damage on the outside because it bothered my husband a lot. Sounds like now that this is a normal thing?

What do you guys do for this? Anyone use any covers or anything?

Julie
julie5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 03:21 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
1989 29' Excella
Lorain County , Ohio
Send a message via AIM to loudruff Send a message via MSN to loudruff Send a message via Yahoo to loudruff
cloth covers

Most folks do NOT use cloth or vinyl covers on their Airstreams, for fear of rubbing marks and grooves into the aluminum. It is easily burnished which causes rubs in the clear coat and that can cause premature aging and peeling of the clearcoat. It would be nice if you could give it a car port or other solid roof overtop to protect it from sun and hail damage. Even if that roof has no side walls. I am sure others will chime in here!
Welcome to Airforums! Good luck with the new "baby"!
We hope you will think about joining us Ohioans at the Findley SP, Airbiscuit Anniversary/Chili Cook Off Rally in Wellington, OH. Oct. 24th weekend. (it's on the calendar!)We would love to meet you!!!
Air #2695
TAC- OH 2
#1420 NOVA 4-006 Charter member

loudruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 03:30 PM   #3
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by julie5 View Post
I called AS to see what they recommended for a cover as we don't have a garage big enough to store her in and they said they do not sell one, nor recommend using one. Is that what you guys think, also? This thing looks brand new on the outside without a single bit of weathering or corrosion on the outside and we'd love to keep it that way. We passed up a few trailers that had damage on the outside because it bothered my husband a lot. Sounds like now that this is a normal thing?
To be useful, any cover has to have substantial air space (several inches) between it and the trailer. Covers that are supported by the trailer itself do more harm than good.
Old 09-23-2013, 04:47 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Yes, the general consensus here on the Forums is that covers that touch the surface are not a good idea for the care and feeding of your Airstream for reasons mentioned above. It sounds counter-intuitive, but if you've ever seen the result of a tarp or cover rubbing on an Airstream's skin you would be convinced. Many store their Airstreams in the open air and survive fairly well (outside of potential hail and storm damage), but the better solution is a sturdy roof overhead. Even better is inside storage with climate control. But not everyone can manage that. Check out local storage facilities and see what you can find. You might find something just right!

We store our Bambi under a "port" attached to the end of our house...with canvas tarps on the exposed sides of the "port" to keep off as much direct sun as possible. It is never in direct sunlight or the elements unless we are traveling. I have to say that this has been a very good thing for our rig ...

Good luck with your new baby!
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote