Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-24-2022, 06:08 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2023 27' Globetrotter
Winder , Georgia
Globetrotter slate or cream?

Ok, we are seriously considering updating to a Globetrotter, for the sake of time and sparing many other rabbit trails , I will spare all of the details except we are stuck on the decision of color. The DW liked the Barcelona Blue at first but in the end it was just too many contrasting colors, the Grey/blue base cabinets in the kitchen being the biggest. I know a lot of folks like this, but this is just our opinion. I hope that this will be our last Airstream for a long time(famous last words) so I want to get it right. We have agreed on Dark Walnut cabinets but cannot agree on the Cream or Slate seating. - so questions:

1. for those that have Slate - does it make the overall space too dark?
2. for those that have cream - does it make it too light? or said differently , is it too much of a contrast? At night with all of the white shades drawn, especially. Too much white??
3. For those that have cream - is it too hard to keep clean? does it show wear easily? - We are OCD and are already freaking out about the white floor

wife likes the cream , but is concerned about too bright at night. I am concerned about showing wear

I like the slate , but she thinks it will make it too dark overall

UGHHHHHH!!!!!!!
Bcc75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2022, 06:03 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2023 27' Globetrotter
Winder , Georgia
Wow,
I guess there's nobody out there with a Globetrotter with Dublin Slate or Copenhagen Cream seating!
Old 10-24-2022, 06:16 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2022 27' Globetrotter
DALLAS , TX
Be patient, in the south the fall camping season has begun and for folks with families it is time to focus on school and kids activities. So folks are a bit slow to respond in the fall.

We have a 2022 Globetrotter 27FB Twin with Dublin Slate.

We both think that the Walnut is a more timeless and classy finish that is less likely to look dated in a few years.

We also loved the appearance of the cream upholstery, but felt that the cream would be tough to maintain over time. Some Airstream dealers also indicated that some customers have struggled with keeping the cream looking good. If you have kids or pets, that is an additional factor to consider.

So we went with the Dublin Slate and it looks great. No problem with it looking too dark in the trailer given how much light the Airstream lets in from windows and skylights.

We are pleased with the appearance so far.

Of course, beauty is in the eye of the beholder so ultimately it is up to you to decide what works best for you.
foobar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2022, 07:03 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2023 27' Globetrotter
Winder , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by foobar View Post
Be patient, in the south the fall camping season has begun and for folks with families it is time to focus on school and kids activities. So folks are a bit slow to respond in the fall.

We have a 2022 Globetrotter 27FB Twin with Dublin Slate.

We both think that the Walnut is a more timeless and classy finish that is less likely to look dated in a few years.

We also loved the appearance of the cream upholstery, but felt that the cream would be tough to maintain over time. Some Airstream dealers also indicated that some customers have struggled with keeping the cream looking good. If you have kids or pets, that is an additional factor to consider.

So we went with the Dublin Slate and it looks great. No problem with it looking too dark in the trailer given how much light the Airstream lets in from windows and skylights.

We are pleased with the appearance so far.

Of course, beauty is in the eye of the beholder so ultimately it is up to you to decide what works best for you.
Thank you foobar,
With Airstream going ultra-modern in most of their decor, we too felt the Walnut was a nice touch that will indeed be timeless. Again, I'm thinking long term durability, which is why I'm leaning towards the slate.
We have no small kid or grandkids(yet), but do have a medium size dog. She is not allowed on furniture though, in the trailer, or at home.
Old 10-24-2022, 07:09 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
McHenry , Illinois
Bcc75, I’m with foobar on this - we are very happy with the Dublin Slate. Like you, we struggled with the decision. In fact, we changed our order twice before settling on it. We traded a 2018 FC that had the Honey interior and wanted a change. We felt the Elm would be too close to the Honey so went with Walnut.

That said, we have two good friends with GT’s and Barcelona Blue and I have to say I like the way they look. The Elm is softer while the Blue is a nice shade.

To your question about feeling too dark, no we don’t find that to be the case. The light floor and white overhead cabinets make it bright feeling. We like the slate upholstery because it never looks dirty. We travel with a Cairn Terrier and put a rug on the lounge cushions to be safe. It’s a tough call - the Walnut has a rich feeling to it while the Elm has a lighter feel.

I don’t think you could go wrong with either. Flip a coin!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2FEDAFB0-8072-48E4-B599-2FE3885C00D3.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	532.9 KB
ID:	424533  
WBCCI# 10258
RETIRED!
jeffmc306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2022, 07:55 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2018 27' Globetrotter
Mooresville , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffmc306 View Post
Bcc75, I’m with foobar on this - we are very happy with the Dublin Slate. Like you, we struggled with the decision. In fact, we changed our order twice before settling on it. We traded a 2018 FC that had the Honey interior and wanted a change. We felt the Elm would be too close to the Honey so went with Walnut.

That said, we have two good friends with GT’s and Barcelona Blue and I have to say I like the way they look. The Elm is softer while the Blue is a nice shade.

To your question about feeling too dark, no we don’t find that to be the case. The light floor and white overhead cabinets make it bright feeling. We like the slate upholstery because it never looks dirty. We travel with a Cairn Terrier and put a rug on the lounge cushions to be safe. It’s a tough call - the Walnut has a rich feeling to it while the Elm has a lighter feel.

I am one of Jeff’s friends that went with the Barcelona Blue. We liked that as we liked the lighter look all the way thru the coach to make it look more open.

The walnut is a timeless look and it sounds like that is the look you want and that is what matters to you. Once you’ve made that decision, I agree with Jeff that Dublin slate is the way to go as you would have a hard time keeping the cream looking good with kids or dogs ( which we have neither at this time). I’ve seen Jeff’s interior and that combo looks very clean and not too dark. Once you’ve chosen the walnut you’ve already decided you like the darker look and the Dublin Slate is a nice way to soften the lighten the appearance and is easier to keep clean.
GOUSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2022, 08:22 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2023 25' Globetrotter
Seattle , Washington
We do our dealer walkthrough for our 2023 GT25FBT in cream tomorrow. I'll let you know what we think.
malligator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2022, 11:18 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2020 25' Globetrotter
Santa Rosa , California
We have a 2020 25' FBT Globetrotter with the Copenhagen Cream color scheme. I initially thought it might be difficult to keep clean but my wife liked the color. As it turned out we've had no issues with cleanliness. A mild solution of soap and water effectively cleans the seating surfaces if needed and after 3 years they still look like new.

We do have a Lab who likes to jump up on the lounge seating but we have a Woolrich quilt that covers that area. We also replaced the white bedspreads with matching quilts, which is something we would have done regardless of the interior color. The quilt color scheme carries over to 3 oriental style rugs which provide some warmth (literally and figuratively) for the floor.

Overall, we like the dark cabinets and the light fabric/counter tops which brighten the interior in the daytime. At night with the lighting dim or out being too bright isn't a problem at all.

Color is obviously very subjective, but we're happy with our choice.

2020 25' Globetrotter Twin | 2024 GMC Sierra 2500HD Denali Ult. 4x4 Duramax
400Ah Battle Born lithium battery string | 580W solar (400W roof 180W portable)
mikeinca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2022, 03:30 AM   #9
Scott the Bruce

2020 27' Globetrotter
Blandford , Berkshire Hills of Western Mass.
2020 GT FBT Walnut/Dublin Slate

After virtually no discussion, the wife & I agreed on the 27' GT with the walnut cabinets. After much discussion and because we DO HAVE grandchildren, the Dublin state was the right decision for us. No regrets with the size, the cabinets nor the cushions. That having been said, we are not very impressed with the floor. Rugs are our solution.
Spurlucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2022, 04:42 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2023 27' Globetrotter
Winder , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffmc306 View Post

Thanks Jeff!!
So are current trailer is an International with the Coastal Cove/ Aqua Interior.
It has the lighter cabinets , dark floor and Aqua Blue seating which I have never liked(the seating that is). So we were just looking for a complete change. My next and only other concern is the flooring. Keeping it clean. Its easy to run a swiffer mop across a slick linoleum. Not so much with the woven floor. Although everyone that we talked to that own GT;s have no complaints.
Old 10-25-2022, 04:43 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2023 27' Globetrotter
Winder , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurlucky View Post
After virtually no discussion, the wife & I agreed on the 27' GT with the walnut cabinets. After much discussion and because we DO HAVE grandchildren, the Dublin state was the right decision for us. No regrets with the size, the cabinets nor the cushions. That having been said, we are not very impressed with the floor. Rugs are our solution.
Thanks.

Please elaborate if you will about the floor.
Old 10-25-2022, 04:44 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2023 27' Globetrotter
Winder , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by malligator View Post
We do our dealer walkthrough for our 2023 GT25FBT in cream tomorrow. I'll let you know what we think.
Please do.

Thanks
Old 10-25-2022, 04:53 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2023 27' Globetrotter
Winder , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by GOUSC View Post
I am one of Jeff’s friends that went with the Barcelona Blue. We liked that as we liked the lighter look all the way thru the coach to make it look more open.

The walnut is a timeless look and it sounds like that is the look you want and that is what matters to you. Once you’ve made that decision, I agree with Jeff that Dublin slate is the way to go as you would have a hard time keeping the cream looking good with kids or dogs ( which we have neither at this time). I’ve seen Jeff’s interior and that combo looks very clean and not too dark. Once you’ve chosen the walnut you’ve already decided you like the darker look and the Dublin Slate is a nice way to soften the lighten the appearance and is easier to keep clean.
Thanks for the response. We were real close to the going with the Blue. We have seen some GT's in person with this color scheme, but haven't seen the walnut/slate or cream in person in floor plan that we are looking at.

We just were not crazy about the dark gray base cabinets in the kitchen. But, that's just us. Otherwise it was great , and I think my wife really wanted this because of the open feeling that you describe. But that's why they put all the windows in these things right?
Old 10-25-2022, 10:02 AM   #14
1 Rivet Member

2020 27' Globetrotter
Kalamazoo , Michigan
Interior Colors

We have the Dublin Slate interior with Dark Walnut cabinets and it's plenty bright inside with all the windows in our 2020 Globetrotter 27FB Twin. Although either choice would be great!
Cracker10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2022, 10:15 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2023 30' Classic
Napa , California
Copenhagen Cream

We have the Copenhagen Cream interior. We do use rug runners as we have a black lab. We also use both an outdoor plastic scrub mat in front of the stairs to try and knock down and keep as much dirt outside as possible. If weather permits the awning to be extended, we will take our shoes off outside. We then use inside-only slippers to move around the interior.

For the 27FB we found crib sheets fit the two cushions closest to the TV and help keep any additional dog dirt/hair to stay there. That makes removal and washing the sheet easy.

You will still get dirt on the floor and cushions. It does take some elbow grease to keep it all clean. Since the floor covering is called a weave, it is really textured vinyl. That weave will hold some dirt but it is not impossible to get clean.

I suspect the darker color cushions and floor will not show dirt as easily, but if you have animals or kids/grandkids those cushions will get as dirty. You just may not notice it is easily.
wineteam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2022, 11:15 AM   #16
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Norwalk , Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcc75 View Post
Ok, we are seriously considering updating to a Globetrotter, for the sake of time and sparing many other rabbit trails , I will spare all of the details except we are stuck on the decision of color. The DW liked the Barcelona Blue at first but in the end it was just too many contrasting colors, the Grey/blue base cabinets in the kitchen being the biggest. I know a lot of folks like this, but this is just our opinion. I hope that this will be our last Airstream for a long time(famous last words) so I want to get it right. We have agreed on Dark Walnut cabinets but cannot agree on the Cream or Slate seating. - so questions:

1. for those that have Slate - does it make the overall space too dark?
2. for those that have cream - does it make it too light? or said differently , is it too much of a contrast? At night with all of the white shades drawn, especially. Too much white??
3. For those that have cream - is it too hard to keep clean? does it show wear easily? - We are OCD and are already freaking out about the white floor

wife likes the cream , but is concerned about too bright at night. I am concerned about showing wear

I like the slate , but she thinks it will make it too dark overall

UGHHHHHH!!!!!!!
I'd say, go with what the wife wants. Happy wife, one less thing to argue about. LOL. We have a 25' International with the coastal blue leather. We about gave up on Airstreams after looking for close to 10 years. The blue leather was a winner for us. If I could have afforded a Globetrotter, we certainly would have gone with Barcelona blue. I also found the extra weight that come with a globetrotter was also a deciding factor. Hope this helps.
Silverminer
2022 25' International FBQ
2017 F150 Eccoboost
Silverminer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2022, 12:23 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

2021 27' Globetrotter
Tallahassee , FL
We have the slate and we love it. We thought as some that the cream with get "dirty looking" and the slate would be too dark. With all the windows, skylights and overall lighting in our 21GT27FBQ it is not dark and retains that yacht like look. We both agreed on the slate so you and the mrs.. will need to to the ole rock, paper scissors to see who wins out.
Kawboy01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2022, 08:36 PM   #18
MarkLimb

2021 25' Flying Cloud
Eagle , Idaho
We love our Copenhagen cream combo - we had the protectant applied to the cushions when new and it seems to clean up fine. We have two dogs so we try to keep some blankets around just to protect from too much debris!
MarkLimb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2022, 03:46 AM   #19
Scott the Bruce

2020 27' Globetrotter
Blandford , Berkshire Hills of Western Mass.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcc75 View Post
Thanks.

Please elaborate if you will about the floor.
Well, I am a tradesman/outdoorsman/hunter/fisherman & I come in and out of any door (home or Airstream) with boots on many times a day. Happy husband, happy life? The floor could be better for life use. We like neat and tidy same as the next person, but have no desire to be consumed with maintaining a museum nor at the cost of living.

How'd the walkthrough go?
Spurlucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2022, 05:42 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2021 30' Flying Cloud
2020 25' International
minneapolis , Minnesota
Off subject: if there is a way to select flooring type, you might want to consider something other than the stock Globetrotter floor. Many globetrotter owners have mentioned it’s a real pain to keep clean being almost white, and full of grooves and crevices.