Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Closed Thread

Old 09-11-2022, 10:54 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member

2005 30' Land Yacht 30 SL
South Windsor , CT
I'm a dog lover as well. One of the main reasons we have an RV is so we can travel with ours. Having said that, this
Quote:
Originally Posted by pteck View Post
Smacks of entitlement.

We are a free country. Yet we are a civilization - civil meaning advanced cultural development with social norms and agreed upon rules. Many a rule was paid for in blood.

When I'm in public or other peoples spaces, I respect the rules established for the betterment of society.

Tie up your dog #4.
and this "Be civilized, and obey the rules that are there for a reason. Freedom is not license to do anything you please, and your rights end where mine begin" really is the gist of it.

Plus even if there are no explicit rules and because you already know that not everyone is a dog lover, wouldn't common courtesy dictate that you should leash your dog in any public setting? Like it or not your dogs don't have rights over any human.
Old 09-11-2022, 11:08 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1978 25' Tradewind
Metro Phoenix , Arizona
https://youtu.be/SXn2QVipK2o
Old 09-11-2022, 11:09 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2020 25' Globetrotter
Santa Rosa , California
^^ Classic.

Keeping your dog leashed, especially in a campground setting is best for wildlife, other campers and your dog. It's not a freedom issue, it's an issue of being responsible. We love our Sadie and dogs in general but wouldn't think of letting her run loose. We appreciate when others do the same.

Saying that dogs weren't born with a leash is kind of like saying people weren't born wearing clothes. Those aren't good reasons for allowing a dog to run around unrestrained or people to run around naked.

2020 25' Globetrotter Twin | 2024 GMC Sierra 2500HD Denali Ult. 4x4 Duramax
400Ah Battle Born lithium battery string | 580W solar (400W roof 180W portable)
Old 09-11-2022, 11:25 PM   #24
4 Rivet Member

2018 25' International
Full-time , Traveler
https://thedogtrainingsecret.com/blo...ld-never-bite/
Old 09-12-2022, 05:19 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2019 30' International
Pennsylvania , Pennsylvania
I don't own a dog. I have in the past though.

I don't love dogs. Don't hate 'em either.

I get really annoyed by irresponsible dog owners. Real annoyed.

2017 Ford CCSB F250 XLT 6.2L Gas 4x4 4:30 rear Leer Topper Ruby Red
2019 International Serenity 30 Rear Twin
Old 09-12-2022, 05:49 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2021 27' Globetrotter
Fort Lauderdale , Florida
Send a message via Skype™ to Vitaver
They keep a noose around their neck all day and call it love. Funny, and cruel. Having a dog for one’s entertainment or protection, or to show ‘compassion’ by having ‘rescued’ a mutt (typical answer to ‘hey, nice dog you have!) is cheap self serving, egotistic and as far as ‘love’ as you can find. Add a couple of scoops of industrial refuse (kibble) for food and the picture is complete.

Dog violence does not even start to compare with human violence but we still live between humans. Most times we call it violence when dogs ‘exchange business cards’: run to each other, smell each other, even growl or bark only to play to exhaustion. Is a less evident and hypocritical way to establish dominance, how they socialize and make new friends or walk away.

At a time when the sacred word is ‘safety’ and the most common salute is ‘be safe’, we hardly understand that ‘safety’ is way overrated. Is it safe to get on a highway at 65+ mph towing a few K pounds, with 18 wheelers coming at us just 3 feet away at a combined speed of 110 mph or more? How about navigating mountain roads, encroaching into the habitat of so many risks by animals, flood, boulders, falling tree branches, etc?

This is a community of people that, supposedly, embrace adventure, take risks, enjoy the challenges over a movie at the mall. How the man’s (inclusivity alert: also women, they and every combination thereof) best friend is reciprocated in their unconditional love with something better than tied down to a stake, a few short walks at their equivalent speed of crawling, and then back inside: good boy!

He/she/it does not have a choice, but why in the world do you have a dog that is not free? Easier to state why we want/need a dog. How about the dogs’ needs? Exercise like a dog may be one?

Dogs are ubiquitous in campgrounds, parks, disperse camping, etc. This conversation is consistent with a Forum so dedicated. Suggestions to ‘cancel’ it are mainstream to every original, dissenting voice that appears to challenge the ‘tow the line’. Glad is still alive and available. There is no attempt to make any ad hominem discomfort, we all have the choice to ignore it, discuss it or enjoy the sparring of opinions. Different views are welcomed.
Old 09-12-2022, 06:39 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2015 20' Flying Cloud
Kingsport , Tennessee
We've two dogs that we love dearly. But our bigger dog, Rowdy, she named herself. When we come home in the evening and get in the door, she loses her mind, celebrating our return. First year or two we had her, had a couple of incidents of her making a break for it and getting out the door she loses her mind and just runs and runs non-stop. She hates having her toenails messed with: she had broken one just after we had brought her home from the pound, I went to take care of it, and it's the only time in my life I've needed stitches. We got past that. We love her, she loves us, but I'd never take her anywhere off of a leash.
WBCCI #1051
Old 09-12-2022, 07:01 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2021 20' Caravel
Plaistow , New Hampshire
Surprised and pleased at the number of considerate AS dog owners out there. Appreciate your taking others into consideration.
About the last thing we want to do is report someone to the owners or managers of a place we are staying at.
Old 09-12-2022, 07:16 AM   #29
4 Rivet Member

2004 22' International CCD
Beaumont , California
Another thread started by someone who enjoys life in one of the best countries in the world, benefiting from rule of law which creates that condition of society, who decides to reject that rule of law because they don’t like it.

Move to Mexico or some African third-world country which has little to no rule of law. See how long you and your dog last.

-Ken
Old 09-12-2022, 07:20 AM   #30
Rivet Master

2007 16' International CCD
Vintage Kin Owner
Somewhere , Colorado
OP: have you noticed that no humans have agreed with you? Do you care?
Old 09-12-2022, 07:20 AM   #31
Rivet Master

2017 16' Sport
N/A , N/A
Dogs need a leash, some of their owners need one too.
Old 09-12-2022, 07:24 AM   #32
Rivet Master

2013 27' FB International
El Dorado Hills , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitaver View Post
They keep a noose around their neck all day and call it love. Funny, and cruel. ....but why in the world do you have a dog that is not free?
Because I want my dog to stay alive. Free dogs and fast cars don't mix.

Because I don't want dogs to be banned from everywhere. There's often a reason why dogs are banned from certain trails, and it's usually inconsiderate owners with poorly trained dogs harassing other hikers.

Recently, at a state park campground, while walking my leashed GSP around the loop for his potty break, an unchained Pit Bull came charging and barking/growling out towards my dog, only stopping about one foot away as I was prepared to hit it with bear spray, and her owners if they complained. The owners, didn't seem overly concerned. "Petunia" was meant to be free. It's things like this that will cause campground operators to ban all dogs.

Having said this, there are places where it's okay to let your dog off leash to chase, fetch and run. Usually places where nobody else is remotely nearby, or a designated fenced dog park.
Old 09-12-2022, 08:10 AM   #33
4 Rivet Member

1949 22' Liner
1969 27' Overlander
1969 27' Overlander
Walnut Creek , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by drboyd View Post
Hilarious!
Old 09-12-2022, 09:16 AM   #34
2 Rivet Member

Boise , Idaho
Quote:
We don’t go to hotels, we don’t travel in tourbusses, or cruise ships, we like freedom. That is often at odds with people with all kinds of badges that give them the right to ruin your day, your trip, your mood, your freedom. Power is intoxicating if not outright vicious for many a people on parks of all kinds.

Dogs are a big issue. They are our best friends, they make life so much better, they are not born with a leash. They like to run free, to play with other dogs, to explore, smell, discover and come back as we call them. (The few vicious dogs excluded, but those are the exception and mostly the product of likewise owners).

But… we have to keep them on a leash at all times! Countless signs says that every where, the most frequent sign behind ‘NO’ (put anything after that world, you will find it).

Some people are afraid of dogs you say?…. OK, that is your problem and better face your fears, don’t limit our freedom please. Dogs are good people, actually the best people some of us know. A bundle of unconditional love. Of course ‘freedom’ is not a trendy concept nowadays yet the best nation in the history of mankind is founded on that very principle. Let’s keep it that way, did not do too bad for 250 years. Mullions yearn to get in here for reasons that many of us forgot.
Outside of Mexico and few third world countries, I am not sure how many are yearning to get in here. Many of the best, brightest and wealthiest in the US are yearning to get out. In most first world countries, the US is considered a has been country bent on self-destruction that is no longer something to be emulated. But of course, you keep pushing your freedom to do what ever you want and by all means let your dogs run free and ignore the laws of a civilized country. Yep, keep on doing the ‘Frreee-dum’ thing. Narcissist much?
Old 09-12-2022, 09:29 AM   #35
4 Rivet Member

2020 25' Globetrotter
Hillsdale , New York
Dog lover here, too.

Both of mine are asleep in the Airstream right now.

Follow the rules.

As Kramer once said, “Without rules, there’s chaos.”

SPP
Old 09-12-2022, 10:25 AM   #36
2 Rivet Member

2022 25' Flying Cloud
Western , Maryland
Freedom and the NO police

OP, you are wrong.

One of your precious little friends runs up to my kids or my dogs in an aggressive manner? It’s going to get kicked. Or worse.

You think you have the right to break the rules and let your dogs run free. I have the right to act on threats to the safety of my family.

But please keep telling us about “muh freedoms”
Old 09-12-2022, 10:53 AM   #37
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Should Cats be leashed and declawed? What about a Barn Cat?

Oh, give me a break. That was meant for those who have no sense of direction.

A muzzle on a Dog is great, when among Human Beans. Not all Human Beans are like Neanderthals, who had dogs FOR Protection. Not only as pets. Duhhhh that is how domestic Canines were bred. For hunting and protecting. Not foot warmers.

Your dog with a muzzle is now at risk... although, not the numb nuts with dogs having the temperament of a Shark in a wading pool with children.

Children are most at risk with roaming dogs at a campground. Grownups, less so.

RV Parks, Airstream Rallies, Crowded Forest Service Parks... leash and TIE A ROPE between two trees. Your dog(s) are free to roam... but only on your camp site on the extended rope.

Avoid places where campers and trailers are to be found if you want your dog to roam and you can run naked in the brush. I do not care. I have seen some of you dressed.

The Rocky Mountain States have places that no Human Bean will enter. They are afraid of Lions, Tigers and Bears oh my... said Dorthy in the Wizard of Oz. To leash and tie your Dog to a tree is like setting cheese on a mouse trap. Well, not really. A dog is not a Lion, Tiger or Bear... but sure gets excited when one turns up.

Our Two Blue Heelers hike, LOOSE, with us in the Deep Forest, Prairies and Sandy Deserts.

On a Hiking Trail in Colorado... Leash your hound dogs. Pick up their Poop... and do Human Beans a favor... pick up THEIR Dog Poop left by the Nature Loving among us. Many are fakes.

One poop or five poops make no difference if you are concerned about the drinking water, world contamination and feces covering the planet.

I use to assume that most people have Common Horse Sense, at the least. They do not. They think of themselves, first. Maybe not you, but you are reading this. They are not.

I would settle for Common Human Bean sense, but even that is a rare commodity.

Human Beans and Neanderthals have domesticated Dogs from other Canines. They were not leashed in Caves. The Dog coexisted with one another to protect the Neanderthals, within.

If we, by mistake or by choice, select a RV Park to spend an evening... we leash our Blue Heelers. Myself, included to set an example.

All of you who park at a NFS Campground should do the same... and when at a distance... unleash. We do enough mountain climbing to get around and having a Blue Heeler pulling you UP, faster than you can go... is not smart. But those who do not figure it out... will have crutches for a couple months.

When we are hiking the back country, we carry heavy hiking sticks... I say poles made from a branch cleaned by Beaver, some may say lumber. It is mostly for protection... from whatever comes our way. Also to use to Flip a Rattlesnake back into the Badlands where is would be happier. Not next to our tent or trailer.

There are self made Saints among us preaching until their lips dry out. Some are sincere. Watch out for the FAKES. When you are not looking... they will Poop, look around... and wander off as if YOU DID IT.
Old 09-12-2022, 10:54 AM   #38
3 Rivet Member

2022 30' Flying Cloud
Phoenix , Arizona

This dog is having more fun than me.
Old 09-12-2022, 11:04 AM   #39
4 Rivet Member

2023 25' Flying Cloud
Richmond , Virginia
Quote:
They keep a noose around their neck all day and call it love. Funny, and cruel. Having a dog for one’s entertainment or protection, or to show ‘compassion’ by having ‘rescued’ a mutt (typical answer to ‘hey, nice dog you have!) is cheap self serving, egotistic and as far as ‘love’ as you can find. Add a couple of scoops of industrial refuse (kibble) for food and the picture is complete.

Dog violence does not even start to compare with human violence but we still live between humans. Most times we call it violence when dogs ‘exchange business cards’: run to each other, smell each other, even growl or bark only to play to exhaustion. Is a less evident and hypocritical way to establish dominance, how they socialize and make new friends or walk away.

At a time when the sacred word is ‘safety’ and the most common salute is ‘be safe’, we hardly understand that ‘safety’ is way overrated. Is it safe to get on a highway at 65+ mph towing a few K pounds, with 18 wheelers coming at us just 3 feet away at a combined speed of 110 mph or more? How about navigating mountain roads, encroaching into the habitat of so many risks by animals, flood, boulders, falling tree branches, etc?

This is a community of people that, supposedly, embrace adventure, take risks, enjoy the challenges over a movie at the mall. How the man’s (inclusivity alert: also women, they and every combination thereof) best friend is reciprocated in their unconditional love with something better than tied down to a stake, a few short walks at their equivalent speed of crawling, and then back inside: good boy!

He/she/it does not have a choice, but why in the world do you have a dog that is not free? Easier to state why we want/need a dog. How about the dogs’ needs? Exercise like a dog may be one?

Dogs are ubiquitous in campgrounds, parks, disperse camping, etc. This conversation is consistent with a Forum so dedicated. Suggestions to ‘cancel’ it are mainstream to every original, dissenting voice that appears to challenge the ‘tow the line’. Glad is still alive and available. There is no attempt to make any ad hominem discomfort, we all have the choice to ignore it, discuss it or enjoy the sparring of opinions. Different views are welcomed.
My dog can run around and be free on my property. He can (and does) run around like a lunatic, pee on things, sniff what he wants and dig holes. But when we are in public, we follow the rules specified, whatever they may be, and when we leave our property to go on a walk, he's on a leash. We could leave him at home and not put a 'noose' on him but considering he jumps up and down like a nutcase whenever we pick his 'noose' up and tries to put his head in it, I'm pretty sure he's good with it. He also runs to the car whenever it starts up, so again, pretty sure he's ok with the rules as long as he gets to go out in public. If he didn't like it, he could stay at home and run around all day - I can pay the neighbor to come feed him and let him in at night and out in the morning, but that's not what he wants to do...
Old 09-12-2022, 11:28 AM   #40
Site Team

2009 25' FB International
2018 27' Globetrotter
Tavares , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by drboyd View Post
A classic!
Closed Thread