Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-29-2015, 08:31 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
2000 30' Excella
1999 30' Excella 1000
Low Country , South Carolina
We purchased and returned two sets of the expensive small wheel folding bikes as they were uncomfortable and not really meant for longer riding. After lots of research we decided on Montague's. These are the full size foldable bikes the troopers use when they parachute into a location. Very sturdy, full size wheels and frame, easy to fold, and lots more. We found them to be quite expensive so we watched for resales on Craig's list and in bike shops. We purchased two beautiful almost new Montague folding mountain bikes this way. Love them. So do our friends and two couples have also purchased them. We carry them in the back of our SUV (take up little space) and would have no other bikes. Check them out on line and if you want to save some money, watch the ads. Even at full price, they are great bikes.
Old 08-29-2015, 10:28 PM   #22
3 Rivet Member

2020 30' Classic
2016 30' Classic
Covington , Louisiana
Bab: Which Dahon and bag did you buy?
Sjcjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 06:50 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2008 27' International FB
Venice , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sjcjr View Post
Can anyone comment on the riding comfort of a quality folding bike versus a standard size non-folding bike?
I am not sure comfort is the in the equation. I think the full size bike will always give you more comfort than the folding bike. I think because of the controversy of putting a hitch on the rear of an Airstream (putting stress where stress should not be) vs mounting front hitch (sight obstruction complains etc.) there in lies the dilemma. Storing the bikes inside of a SUV or the rear of a PU, then seems to be the option. Sacrifice comfort for the latter. BTW, I don't think the folding bikes were ever meant for long and of comfortable riding. IMO!

Airdreamers

WBCCI #8880
AIR #41310
airdreamers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 07:15 PM   #24
3 Rivet Member

2020 30' Classic
2016 30' Classic
Covington , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by airdreamers View Post
After installing a front hitch receiver on my TV. Guess what? My wife and I were at a house sale and there was a matching pair of Mariners (white). What to do? We decided to buy the bikes for the convenient storage on long trips and use the front hitch for short trips. Best of 2 worlds, so to speak! Good luck with your decision.
Do you like the Dahon mariners?
Old 08-30-2015, 08:03 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
2000 30' Excella
1999 30' Excella 1000
As I said we tried the little bikes but they did not work for us and especially if you are doing a lot of mountain or distance biking. We would not ever consider putting bikes on the front of the tow vehicle because of the window obstruction; dangerous driving in my opinion. Additionally I am sure the bikes must take a beating in the front. Not much better on the rear. Our full size Montagues are safely tucked away in the back of the SUV, out of the weather & deterioration and out of the view of possible theft. Still lots of room left for storage bins, an electric cooler, fan and more.
Old 09-05-2015, 07:44 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2007 25' International CCD FB
Northridge , California
I also have the citizen barcelona 3 speed and purchased the travel bag. Rides in the trailer at the foot of the bed.
LilNomad
LiLNomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 09:28 PM   #27
4 Rivet Member

2012 28' International
Prince Edward County , Ontario
I went through the same decision and decided on a Montague folding mountain bike which I bought in Tucson last winter. So far I've been very pleased and it rides much like a regular bike but possibly a little heavier. The smaller folding bikes looked too limiting for my uses. I spoke with a dealer in Orlando earlier who didn't have any in stock so he didn't have anything to gain in our conversation as I was passing through. His recommendation was to spend the extra money for the Paratrooper Pro over the standard Paratrooper model for what it's worth. Unfortunately the Tucson store only had the model above the Paratrooper Pro which what I bought (overkill for my uses).

I bought the carrying bag so the folded bike fits nicely in the back seat area of the truck with no chance of grease getting on anything.

Folding Bikes - Montague Bikes
Cyclist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 04:25 AM   #28
4 Rivet Member

2018 30' International
2014 30' Flying Cloud
Los alamos , New Mexico
Has anyone figured how to carry bikes inside an Airstream?
Luigi123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 05:33 AM   #29
Rivet Master

2015 30' International
2009 27' FB International
2007 25' Safari
Currently Looking...
Greensboro , North Carolina
Folding bikes

Bike Friday makes a folding bike which is as comfortable as a full size bike, IMO. The drawback is the cost which can be upwards of a few thousand for special models.

https://www.bikefriday.com/?gclid=Cj...NIEaAidM8P8HAQ
AIR #31871 KQ3H

www.fantinesvoice.com
Msmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 06:08 AM   #30
3 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Maitland , Florida
I'd like to check out Bike Fridays like these when we get to Oregon. I think this couple keeps them folded in the cab behind their seats. I think these bikes are equipped with clean chains -- no grease -- but I'm not totally sure. They swear by their comfort. They've taken some long rides, including riding from Venice to Florence, Italy.

Riveted: Bicycles
FreshAirStmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 08:51 AM   #31
3 Rivet Member

2020 30' Classic
2016 30' Classic
Covington , Louisiana
I decided on the Dahon d7 mariner. I purchased two and am very satisfied. They are light, fold easily and fit nicely in the back of my truck. The bike rides well given the small size. Quality workmanship is apparent. I do wish it had more than 7 gears but for my purposes it will suffice. I looked at Bike Friday's but couldn't justify the cost.
Old 09-08-2015, 10:16 AM   #32
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
My Citizen was about $300, delivered, and has been just fine.

One doesn't have to go the platinum route, unless you can and must.

Maggie
Old 09-10-2015, 11:51 AM   #33
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
2000 30' Excella
1999 30' Excella 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luigi123 View Post
Has anyone figured how to carry bikes inside an Airstream?
Reread my posts!
Montague Mountain bikes
Full Size, sturdy
Quality
Easy to fold/unfold
Stores easy in SUV or Airstream
Does not take up a lot of space, we stack them
We love these bikes.

We used to carry non folding bikes in the Airstream
Lay the first one on the floor on a rug, pad the first one w a furniture moving pad or old blanket, lay the second on top

Good luck
Old 10-22-2015, 10:28 PM   #34
2 Rivet Member

Olney , Illinois
New proud Airstream owner, will pick her up this Monday.
I am also a folding bike dealer selling Dahons and Terns via the Internet.
We know a little bit about them and if somebody needs parts or has questions go ahead a ask.
The old Dahons in this thread are really only for short distances, they come up for sale quite often, but really nothing compared to current ones or 5-8 years old ones. plus a couple parts are really not more available after been around for 20 years.
Camping world and worst Marine have their bikes built with very limited knowledge about folding bikes, and the result is somewhat questionable.
Love the old Raleighs earlier in the thread. These are collector items with an lot of charme :-) Heavy but charme

Best Thor
thorusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 05:01 AM   #35
4 Rivet Member

1978 25' Tradewind
1954 15' Byam Holiday
Vintage Kin Owner
Linden , Michigan
Folding Bikes

If you have a Vintage Airstream, you must go with a vintage folding bike. That being said, we have two Schwinn "Run-A-Bout"'s. These are semi-folding bikes, made from 1968-1970. They look like a Schwinn Sting-Ray, without the banana seat. They were made for camping and boating. They originally came in green or dark brown. Hard to find in nice condition, and expensive.
StevieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 08:59 AM   #36
Rivet Master

2015 23' Flying Cloud
2023 Interstate 19
Scottsdale , Arizona
I am seriously considering the Dahon Mariner. My LBS carries them and can get replacement parts! I do like the Bike Fridays but can't find one similar to the Mariner. Still open for suggestions, especially from a Dahon/Tern dealer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thorusa View Post
New proud Airstream owner, will pick her up this Monday.
I am also a folding bike dealer selling Dahons and Terns via the Internet.
We know a little bit about them and if somebody needs parts or has questions go ahead a ask.
The old Dahons in this thread are really only for short distances, they come up for sale quite often, but really nothing compared to current ones or 5-8 years old ones. plus a couple parts are really not more available after been around for 20 years.
Camping world and worst Marine have their bikes built with very limited knowledge about folding bikes, and the result is somewhat questionable.
Love the old Raleighs earlier in the thread. These are collector items with an lot of charme :-) Heavy but charme

Best Thor
cactusjk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 09:37 AM   #37
2 Rivet Member

2000 28' Excella
Godfrey , Illinois

I'll add my vote for the Bike Friday. I purchased 2 this winter and can't wait to get some more use out of them. They weren't cheap but the components and custom sizing are the reasons. Some people use them as serious touring bikes where comfort is very important.
Storing them inside the Suburban just seemed the way to go for both security and care.
Relaytest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 10:00 AM   #38
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
2000 30' Excella
1999 30' Excella 1000
We purchased the Dahon's and then returned them. They were not sturdy enough and neither my husband nor I liked the little size and they were uncomfortable. We wanted bikes like our old Schwinn's but foldable. After a great search and research we settled on the Montague bikes. They are the ones the troopers use when overseas. We love them. They do very well in sand, rocky, rooty, twisty woodsy areas in nat/state/fed parks. They are good on all surfaces. They are very sturdy and easy to fold. We carry them in our SUV. We bike with all our friends and they all have full size bikes, some the same Montague's.
Old 02-28-2016, 10:03 AM   #39
Rivet Master

2015 23' Flying Cloud
2023 Interstate 19
Scottsdale , Arizona
Bike Friday bikes are great but it is very hard to figure out all the choices. Wish they had some standard models to chose from.
Old 02-28-2016, 10:19 AM   #40
Rivet Master

2015 23' Flying Cloud
2023 Interstate 19
Scottsdale , Arizona
I have to admit those Mantague Paratroopers look pretty nice...