Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-29-2016, 03:02 PM   #21

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Duxbury , Massachusetts
Hi, We're newbie's to the AS life but I had to add comment given that we went through the same thing choosing ours.

We tried to visit a couple of local AS dealers but they didn't have much of an inventory so....we made a long 5 hour trip to a well-known dealer just to be sure that we would have the opportunity to see, sit-in, and compare all of the options on as many AS models as possible.

After looking at number of trailers and their layouts, materials, and interior colors, our final choice was a 2015 25' FC RB with a gueen-bed, separate shower and toilet. It has panoramic windows both front and back and the options like the convection microwave, the extra awnings back and side and the solar panels make it even that more comfortable to "live in".

My wife preferred the RB because she thought it would be more quiet. She's a light sleeper. It made sense given that most times we back the trailer into a campsite even if we still try to twist and turn the trailer to get the best fit on the site for the view and/or surroundings. She gets great enjoyment and rest just lying on top of the bed during the day reading her favorite book. She can easily see the view, the site and the campfire or...me making a mess on the outside grill attempting to "cook".

The dinette off the entry works great for access. It has plenty of seating space to eat, lounge, spending time reading or even just watching the world go by. We love our trailer and many times we'll decide to simply stay put inside the trailer on on the site rather than travel to the local tourist attractions or stores. It's that relaxing!! When you use a tent or even a pop-up trailer you sometimes just want to get away.

In the end though, it's really what YOU "feel" is more comfortable for you. When you go inside it's got to just "hit" you.

However, my biggest recommendation is to be sure to visit a knowledgeable AS dealer with a good inventory. It's impossible to make a selection using the brochure (like our first dealer tried to have us do).

Being comfortable and enjoying your travels are key. My wife and I are still newbie's but isn't that what the "AS life style" is really all about??

I wish you luck in your search and decision!!! I hope that no matter what your final choice is that you thoroughly enjoy your travels in your new trailer !!!!!!!!

Mike M.
Murpman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 05:45 PM   #22
4 Rivet Member

2009 28' International
Pacific Palisades , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outdoors4me View Post
Ditto to this one. I thought I wanted a rear bed, but really like the front bed and the roomy access to cabinets in the Flying Cloud.
Ah, subjectivity--that's why they offer different models!

We chose the International (new 2009) precisely because of the aforementioned lighting options, and because even though the FC has beautiful and light colored wood, we were done with wood trailer interiors--as a graphic designer, beige is my least favorite color. (It's biggest strength is that it's the one that nobody objects to.) Also, the translucent frosted doors allow a lot more visible volume inside the coach, making it appear much roomier than cabinets with opaque finishes. The sliding doors' accessibility has just not been an issue in 8 seasons of 5+ months/year living aboard. Our International Ocean Breeze is super bright with its silver bulkheads and white cabinetry. Yes, you can see items gently diffused inside the cabinets, but to us, that just adds interest and an opportunity to introduce softly lit spot colors into a bright, neutral environment. And we love the standard three awning setup.

We chose the 28' because of its interior spaciousness and light with a shorter hall than the 27', as well as the separated seating areas in the main living area. We thought through most of our destinations, and realized that our best views are typically out the curb side, so wanted to make sure the galley and its small windows are on the service side. This also overcomes the issue of "losing" view out the back because the bedroom is there.

And my wife is very inventive. In one place where we dry camp, all units are very close together (16' wide spaces) so unless there's a vacancy, there's no view out either side. To overcome the fact that our wrap around window are away from the view, she has arranged our pillows sideways against each of the full size wardrobes. Plenty of room for us to sit facing each other on the bed with the view out the large rear window.

And as previously mentioned, the rear bedroom, away from the rest of the park, is almost always quieter and more private.

So lots for you to think about, and there is no wrong answer!
gecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 08:02 PM   #23
2 Rivet Member

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Roseville , California
We're still looking for our AS, but have been trailering for some time. After having been in many campsites where late night arrivals noise and headlights are on the road end of the trailer, and either wake us or keep us awake, we're looking for a rear bed for a more peaceful night.
Larry
graywhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 09:50 PM   #24
4 Rivet Member

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Temple , Texas
The state and national parks we frequent usually have the best view to the rear of the parking areas, thus we went for a front br. I think you should select the model and configuration that fits your dreams and how you will be using it.
Enjoy your airstream.
RamRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 09:09 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
I say try to go to a dealer and hang out in both fb and rb to get a feel how it would really be living in both.
I have had both fb and rb and honestly have no preference.
The fb and rb seem exactly the same in reverse or mirror image.
I do like entering the trailer closer to the front.
My front bedroom sob had 2 entry doors- 1 directly into the bedroom.
Visitors often didn't know and knocked on the bedroom door rather than the living room door.
I would stick my head out the living room door and say "back here".
I have thought about a bedroom door on the Airstream to make exit in a fire or other catastrophe easier than removing the window screen and jumping out a window...
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote