Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-14-2020, 03:25 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB International
Phoenix , Arizona
Door issue on 2020 Globetrotter 27FB

It looks like my door was not hung properly from the factory. The screen door is very tight on the bottom left edge, looking from the inside, and widens out at the top. I also have a 1/4 inch gap at the lower right I can see through to the ground outside. My main door takes two or three times of slamming to get it shut all the way. You can also see light coming through the lower right side of the door when both are shut. Has anyone had a similar issue to this and if so how was it resolved. The trailer is under warranty so I am considering a trip to Jackson Center next spring from Arizona as I don’t know if I trust the local airstream dealer to fix this issue properly. Any thoughts or opinions to share would be appreciated.ThanksClick image for larger version

Name:	moments_09_17_11_16_19.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	423.1 KB
ID:	380848Attachment 1Attachment 1
Troller27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 07:16 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2018 27' Flying Cloud
Easton , PA
Troller27, it sounds like the same issue I had with my 2018 27FC screen door. Not a huge issue, but annoying enough. I watched a video on how to adjust which helped a bit. Took the AS to JC this summer for some upgrades and they corrected it perfectly. Don't know what they did but it hasn't reverted back. It even latches more securely now.
Old 10-15-2020, 07:31 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2018 25' International
Slidell , Louisiana
Airstream Jackson Center has a video on how they adjust doors and screen doors to fit. It is linked here at least 50 times. Search for it. It is very low tech. They use sledge hammers, wood blocks and pry bars. Like everything, it requires a bit of trial and error to get it right. With some finesse you can get it close or even perfect.

Edit: In the video they describe how they get out of alignment. Most common is torquing on the stabilizer jacks especially the one near the door. the screen door gets out of wack by putting weight on it, but it is easy to fix.
BayouBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 07:25 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
2017 23' Flying Cloud
Hiawassee , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayouBiker View Post
Airstream Jackson Center has a video on how they adjust doors and screen doors to fit. It is linked here at least 50 times. Search for it. It is very low tech. They use sledge hammers, wood blocks and pry bars. Like everything, it requires a bit of trial and error to get it right. With some finesse you can get it close or even perfect.

Edit: In the video they describe how they get out of alignment. Most common is torquing on the stabilizer jacks especially the one near the door. the screen door gets out of wack by putting weight on it, but it is easy to fix.
Yeah. I saw material that was aimed at RV techs. They advised not doing it in front of the customer to avoid shock 😂.

I think I’d try a heavy rubber hammer instead of a sledge.
KK4YZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 07:44 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2018 25' International
Slidell , Louisiana
It is a bit unnerving. After watching the video several times and starting slow, I was able to fix my screen door which was pulled out of shape and it shuts very nice. I also fixed the main door after twisting it just a bit with the stabilizer jack issue. I did have to get out the sledge hammer and go after it with some force. The weather seal fits much better too now.
BayouBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 12:11 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB International
Phoenix , Arizona
Thanks for the information. Since it is still under warranty I think I will just plan a trip to Airstream and let them fix it before I start hammering away. I would probably make it worse. The door hinges are not lined up on the frame. I don’t know if this was by design or by mistake. Thanks again
Troller27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 01:59 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2019 30' International
Pennsylvania , Pennsylvania
I'd take it to factory, but until then, check the main door gasket for fit. Especially the bottom, there may be some gaps there that they put foam in, which isn't as thick as the main gasket material. If so, fill it in with some appropriate sized gasket from you local big box or hardware store.

Also, check your main door latch, in particular, where it grabs the post. Does it hit the bolt head or does it latch between the bolt head and the door jamb?

2017 Ford CCSB F250 XLT 6.2L Gas 4x4 Ruby
2019 International Serenity 30 Rear Twin
majorairhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 02:23 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2019 22' Sport
Port Coquitlam , British Columbia
My screen door was rubbing on the hinge side door frame weld so I filed down the weld blob and now it is very smooth.

I will work on the main door in the Spring to see if I can make it close a bit easier.

"Live Long and Prosper \\//" - Spock
PB_NB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 09:18 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
2017 23' Flying Cloud
Hiawassee , Georgia
Careful slamming the door....

.....avoid pulling it by the door handle. Instead pull by the handle on the screen door. The main Inside door handle is just pressed on and can come off...leaving you with a bigger problem: being locked inside.

If that happens you can unlatch the door with a thin screwdriver. There are threads on this forum that addresses this issue.
KK4YZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 03:56 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

Sanford , Arizona
Our door (2019 Globetrotter) was adjusted when we were at Jackson Center in 2018 for warranty work. They fixed it so it closed perfectly! Been good ever since.
SewStream is offline   Reply With Quote