Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-04-2012, 06:58 PM   #21
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Corpus Christi , Texas
We always carry one and use it quite often if the bugs are out. Set it up right over the picnic table. Works well. Every single bug that gets in there is trapped with you! But I saw some folks recently that had a rather large tent with plenty of standing room and thought it might be even better to have one of those. Especially since it comes with a floor so crawling bugs also stay out. They said they got it from Academy so I plan to look around a bit.
I do have the side mesh pieces that drop from the awnings and they are great for shade but not all that effective against bugs.. (probably because I do not have the end pieces and bugs can fly right thru!)

WBCCI 3805
AIR 54011 Since July 2011
casa3805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 07:05 PM   #22
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Corpus Christi , Texas
Two views

Figured I would show you what I mean.
1) View from inside the screen room...
2) Awning screens deployed. (with no end caps)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	kickin back with flamingo.jpg
Views:	306
Size:	244.1 KB
ID:	162392   Click image for larger version

Name:	fully deployed.jpg
Views:	486
Size:	156.7 KB
ID:	162393  

WBCCI 3805
AIR 54011 Since July 2011
casa3805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 08:52 PM   #23
3 Rivet Member

1970 25' Tradewind
San Antonio , Texas
Recently purchased a screen room with rain fly & floor from LLBean & very happy with it. We used it at our volunteer site at Cape Hatteras & it withstood wind & heavy rain. The rain fly developed a small tear & LL Beans replaced it at no cost to us.
Victoria & Joseph
2Tex4Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 06:41 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
My thanks to all for the input. Will now have to decide which one is easiest to put up by one person
urnmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 12:43 PM   #25
4 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
Fort Bragg , North Carolina
We're about to get measured for the Zip Dee Tropical Screen room to expand our living area outside. We debated over the best way for investment over the long term. As much as we use the Airstream, with a decent rug and now screen room it would be worth it. The plan is to get it measured, ordered and by the time we get back in the vicinity of the dealer, installed.
With the humidity that we get after the rain fall with the heat being in the high 90 here in NC, the bugs are loving it, but its some love we don't want to share.
We'll keep you posted on the progress when we hopefully get this done over the next six weeks.

They are not cheap, but if we get five to ten years out of it, I'll be grateful when i bought it when it was "cheap", down the road.

Happy Airstreaming.

SL4BLLT
SL4BLLT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 01:58 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1986 32' Excella
Currently Looking...
Canton , Georgia
We made our own screen room. We kind of copied the zipdee tropic room except that ours hangs from three eyehooks on the awning arms instead of snaps on the awning tube. It snaps to the airstream itself on the sides and along the skirt. It only takes about five minutes to jnstall and is a great addition. It cost less than a hundred bucks to make. We love it!
Skatiero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 01:07 PM   #27
1 Rivet Member

2018 33' Classic
Wimauma , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by UAPachyderm View Post
We have one that's made to fit our Airstream. It attaches to our ZipDee awning and includes a skirt for the Airstream. We only use it about 10% of the time, but really enjoy in certain situations. It's especially nice if there are bugs. We also like it when we are in crowded campgrounds for multiple nights like Disney Ft. Wilderness ... it adds a little extra privacy and space.
can you tell us where you got yours? we have been looking for one and found a custom maker in canada. we have a 33 ft. classic
BillCampbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 02:21 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
I have a question for those with a 'screen room" attached to the awning. What about problems with wind? I have learned the hard way not to leave the awning out overnight or when away from the campsite.
Old 05-26-2020, 02:48 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
Oh, yes I have a screen house!

For the time I have owned a camper, most of my camping has been in the southeast in the summer. I usually camp alone and even if my family comes along I work alone.

urnmor, I totally know what you mean about easy set up. My first screen house was a nightmare to set up. I spent about an hour trying to get it up. The poles had to be put together and ugh. Awful. I remember it had a red top and black poles.

I now have a Coleman Instant screen house. It is really easy to set up alone. It comes in two sizes 10x10 and 10x15. I got the 10x10. I have had to use it in South Carolina because of the spiders EVERYWHERE in the woods and other times in Florida with the mosquitos. Your choice is stay in after dusk or screen house! I never saw so many spiders in my life as at Croft State Park near Spartanburg. I don't use it all the time but it is critical in particular environments.

Here is a video of an actual setup of the instant screen by a guy who never set one up before:

https://youtu.be/zecnWJDgB2c
Old 05-26-2020, 06:00 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2020 23' Flying Cloud
2019 22' Sport
Sebastian , Florida
We have a Clam - it's EZ up, EZ down and keeps the bugs off. You see a lot of them in buggy Florida.
Your Veilhouse obviously brings you joy, and I'm not surprised your fuddy duddy husband came around to your point of view. We all need our space, sometimes.
We traveled with a 28' SOB that had a screen designed for the awning. It didn't see much use because:
- even with the supplied skirts, the mosquitoes would get in
- it was a pain to set up
- it took a lot of room to store
- if it got muddy or wet, you had to install it at your base to clean it or dry it
- weather related awning emergencies become even more stressful
Consider all that when making a buying choice for something bigger.
Happy camping! I hope your team wins!
GetawA-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 06:39 PM   #31
4 Rivet Member

2013 30' Flying Cloud
Kingwood , Texas
We’ve got a Gazelle G2 and it is easy to setup, even for one person. It doesn’t allow much wind through the screen material, so i’m Not sure that it’s going to work well during our Texas summers but cool Spring, Fall, and Winter camping it work’s great.
DoubleR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 01:47 PM   #32

2019 30' International
Midlothian , Virginia
Ooh. We have a 30’ international and I’d love a screen room. We are currently parked on land we will be building on. Please tell me what brand and where you got it. We live near Richmond, va. Thanks !
Midlomom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 11:11 PM   #33
1 Rivet Member

2020 25' International
Austin , Texas
The REI screen room and rain fly just went on sale! I just bought them. Looking forward to using it, even at home in my backyard. Texas mosquitos are big!
RBMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 11:54 PM   #34
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Do you use a screen room?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBMom View Post
The REI screen room and rain fly just went on sale! I just bought them. Looking forward to using it, even at home in my backyard. Texas mosquitos are big!

They are NOT mosquitoes, they are black, blood-sucking helicopters. We had the same ones out in the Alabama swamps near Huntsville. Swarms of them. Swore they could suck you dry in minutes unless you bathed yourself in Deep Woods Off.

Only thing worse were the chiggers that infested every wild blackberry patch in the state. They stay with you for four to six weeks causing welts and impossible itching around your ankles. Makes me cringe just to type this. Bug repellent does not phase them.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 09:27 PM   #35
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
We camped in the Michigan UP in June about 4 years ago and the black flies and mosquitoes were terrible. You really could not be outside! We learned that you needed to camp after July 4 to minimize the problem.

We were going to the UP this summer and I decided that I wasn’t going without getting a screen room first. Clam seems to make the best one and it sets up in only a minute. We bought the whole enchilada which includes the roof, wall panels and floor so it can be used as a huge tent if we have visitors and need extra sleeping room. We have been in the UP camping for 9 days now and haven’t even needed it yet. It was $450 when we bought it at the end of June but they are now $630! Yikes!

DanClick image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0009.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	245.2 KB
ID:	375470
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote