Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-11-2016, 02:08 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Bend , Oregon
cool hammock/seat thing!

Just saw this, looks like a really nice compact product! Anyone used one?

https://www.fatboy.com/lamzac-hangout
Old 04-11-2016, 03:45 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Looks uncomfortable for anyone over 25.
Old 04-11-2016, 04:21 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2016 23' International
Centennial , Colorado
Wayne and Sam.....I agree....lol!!

When I saw it, I had visions of two pigs fighting under a blanket and that would be me trying to get in and out of it.
Old 04-11-2016, 08:27 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Fair Oaks , California
cool hammock/seat thing!

It's a cool thing, and evidently an original idea. How many times have I swished garbage bags around in the air to open them up without thinking of this idea? The problem I see is, I wonder if they work as well as the video seems to show. For example, I bought a kayak that was supposed to be so stable that you could stand up and fish in it, and they had videos of people doing that. The first time I got in it, it rolled over and dumped me in the lake. Sitting, mind you, not trying to stand up.

If I look closely at the people in the inflatable lounger, they don't look exactly relaxed. They look like they're TRYING to look relaxed, while tensing to avoid rolling over. If someone I might be inclined to trust, like an unbiased member of this forum, were to buy one and report back to us that it's entirely stable and not inclined to roll over, I might buy one too. Otherwise, once bitten, twice shy.
McDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 10:18 PM   #5
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by McDave View Post
For example, I bought a kayak that was supposed to be so stable that you could stand up and fish in it, and they had videos of people doing that. The first time I got in it, it rolled over and dumped me in the lake. Sitting, mind you, not trying to stand up.
Kayaks— and all boats— have initial stability and secondary stability. Initial stability resists rolling over; secondary stability permits rolling back upright. Anything you can stand up in has high initial stability and virtually no secondary stability, but kayaks are usually the opposite, low initial stability and high secondary stability so you can do "Eskimo rolls" to roll yourself back upright after a capsize. A trick I unfortunately haven't mastered.
Quote:
If I look closely at the people in the inflatable lounger, they don't look exactly relaxed. They look like they're TRYING to look relaxed, while tensing to avoid rolling over. If someone I might be inclined to trust, like an unbiased member of this forum, were to buy one and report back to us that it's entirely stable and not inclined to roll over, I might buy one too. Otherwise, once bitten, twice shy.
I suspect the key is to not inflate it too much— or too little. Kind of like the old beanbag chairs; too many beanbags in the chair and you'd never be able to sit in it; too few and you'd never be able to get back up out of it.