Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-11-2013, 09:45 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2018 30' International
2014 30' Flying Cloud
Los alamos , New Mexico
Cold feet

When buying your first RV or Airstream, ever get cold feet continuously right up to the time you signed the check. I go in and out of this feeling of ,"what are you doing, how will you ever learn how to use, take care of, or simply use it enough?" Then I see one on the road and I am excited about it. I am scheduled ThIS MONTH to take possession and my spouse simply says" let's do it" Or " sale it of we don't like it".
Luigi123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 10:30 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1997 25' Safari
Yakima , Washington
Sign the check, hook up to your AS and get out there. This forum is the greatest place to learn the basics, as well as to get into in depth discussions on everything from tow vehicles, electrical/solar, various appliances, flooring and well, everything AS. There is a lot of fact, as well as a boat load of opinion to be gleaned from the various forums. Read as much as you can on what-ever topic interests you, or is pertinent to your model of AS, but most of all, get out there and enjoy yourself.

1997 25' Safari
2012 Chevy Silverado HD 2500
Duramax/Allison
dirigible25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 10:50 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1991 29' Excella
Tulsa , Oklahoma
Gosh Luigi, I am going through exactly the same thing. I'm scheduled to pick up my new (used AS at Aug 25th). Is this one your first too? Going bonkers!
What are you getting?

Vickie
Dickandvicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 02:46 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2018 30' International
2014 30' Flying Cloud
Los alamos , New Mexico
Cold Feet

Thanks for your honest reply-this is my first RV of any kind - I am purchasing 2008 Classic Ltd 30ft. Also, have first right of refusal on a new 2014 27FB Flying Cloud, about $15,000 more. I see many posting for " only used four or five times etc" and get to thinking. I recently drove 1,100 miles to pick it up and the night before it hailed so I had to drive away as he had to deal with insurance adjustment. It should be adjusted this week ( minor end cap damage ) sometimes I feel like a crazy gamble. The damage will be subtracted from the sale price then fixed by a locall AS dealer. What is you first one and why an Airstream ( a question I get everywhere) My wife simply says, " go for it, if we don't like it we will sale it".
Old 08-12-2013, 03:55 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
I almost walked away from the deal several times at the dealership after driving four hours to trade. At one point I was so angry with the dealership I went and hooked to my trade-in trailer and started to go home. The only reason I went through with the deal is because of all the blood, sweat, and tears it took to get to that point. I really wanted an Airstream, and I did not want to go through that process all over again.
I had already secured financing and my wife and I both took off work. If I walked away all of that effort would have been for naught.
That having been said I may never buy another trailer. I definitely cannot recommend that dealership.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 05:06 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic Slideout
2021 33FB Classic
Colleyville , TX
You bet....with a Monaco MOHO....but then along came our Airstream and I got over it in a hurry after our "shake down" cruise!
Old 08-12-2013, 05:17 AM   #7
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
I was in your shoes a year and a half ago when I bought my Interstate. Before that, the only camping I had done was tent camping.

On the plus side, I had already driven larger vehicles, though it had been a lot more years than I care to recall, so the size of an Interstate didn't intimidate me. But on the minus side, I had no idea whether I would like RVing, or if I was even capable of doing it solo. For all I knew, I could have ended up as one of those folks trying to sell an RV "only used 4 or 5 times." But it all worked out in the end, and I'll keep my Interstate for as long as I'm physically able to drive it, and financially able to keep it drivable.

For some people, it's speaking in front of crowds or other forms of stage fright. For other people it's retirement or marriage or divorce. For others, it's major purchases. Most people feel jitters at some point before making a commitment to a particular course of action. The old saying "Look before you leap" is a good one, but it doesn't change the fact that, after you look, you've still got to leap!

All you can do is prepare yourself as best you can, then do it! And like most other life-changing events, afterwards you'll wonder why you were ever nervous in the first place.

And finally, even if it turns out to be an unmitigated disaster, as long as you get a good story out of it later, that disaster becomes an adventure worth telling the grandkids.
Old 08-12-2013, 06:52 AM   #8
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Are you crazy? Don't do it!

Are you crazy? Just do it!

Same here and then "oh my, what have I done?"

That was March. It is a 1999 34' Excella

Today, lots of work later, she is a family member who is like the Crazy Aunt who is game for anything....long trip? Ok!

I see things I would miss and don't miss things like nasty motel/hotel rooms...even the Ritz can't touch our Excella and Airstream experience.

If you are blessed to afford it, if you can see the positive effect possible in family/ relationships, don't listen to the bad voices... They really don't like you... They told me so!

Peace and blessings
Channing and Phyllis
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 07:00 AM   #9
BAB
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
Greensboro , North Carolina
I was VERY excited the day I went to pick up my brand new trailer. I was VERY nervous after it was hooked up to my TV and I towed it home for the very first time. Just like anything new, it's the natural (and actually very positive) fear of the unknown. Kind of like when you are a little kid and you just jump in the pool not really caring how cold the water is. Then as you get older you put one foot in at a time. You still get in the water, but do it with caution. So, after almost two years with my trailer? Awesome fun. Just do it!
ProPride 3P
AIR# 58452
WBCCI # 3430-Unit 21
BAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 08:42 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luigi123 View Post
Thanks for your honest reply-this is my first RV of any kind - I am purchasing 2008 Classic Ltd 30ft. Also, have first right of refusal on a new 2014 27FB Flying Cloud, about $15,000 more. I see many posting for " only used four or five times etc" and get to thinking. I recently drove 1,100 miles to pick it up and the night before it hailed so I had to drive away as he had to deal with insurance adjustment. It should be adjusted this week ( minor end cap damage ) sometimes I feel like a crazy gamble. The damage will be subtracted from the sale price then fixed by a locall AS dealer. What is you first one and why an Airstream ( a question I get everywhere) My wife simply says, " go for it, if we don't like it we will sale it".
Apparently you have decided earlier the Airstream will fit your budget and lifestyle (you have to use it a lot for economic sensibility, or have plenty of spare cash around).

To me, the problem would be the choice of used or new. If you're not familiar with them, a six year old trailer can have lots of issues. Tires out of date, worn brakes, corrosion, water leak damage, worn appliances and fixtures, aged sealants and finishes, and some equipment that has been recently updated. Owners also report better design and quality control in the latest models; the infamous water leak and floor rot from the rear bumper area now has a factory seal installed to prevent it, for example.

It would be a pristine, always garaged six year old trailer to lure me away from the condition, improvements, and two year warranty of a new one. Or a greater price differential than $15k.

doug
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 10:13 AM   #11
TinCan

2016 30' Classic
Apache Junction , Arizona
Similar feelings here. Now after 5 weeks of being on the road no regrets whatsoever. Really was not that difficult learning the ropes. Just go slow at a pace that is comfortable for you. Learn one system at a time.
Old 08-12-2013, 12:30 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
My philosophy is that if I want something that is not a necessity...something for leisure...for fun....a "luxury item"....I would only stress and have "buyers remorse" if I was in a situation where that purchase would leave me in financial stress regarding necessities OR if it means I am "fun broke" and would end up regretting that cost because perhaps I end up not using it much or something like that.

I grew up dirt poor...grew up doing camping off and on and always had a ball...still love it....

Im not sure how I would not love camping and to the best of my knowledge it seems very obscure that a poor kid that grew up never going on a vacation that enjoyed sleeping in a tent would not enjoy this....

But in general I always keep the mindset now that if I can afford it and it does not harm my financial goals and responsibilities, I think buyers remorse is pointless.

A tad of cold feet is reasonable, but if it is too much cold feet because you worry you will not be able to afford it, then that may be a different story...

That is how I see it anyway....

Good luck..and I hope we cross paths!

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 01:01 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
We are planning a trip Friday.

I am glad i have the trailer.
We would have gone anyway if we ha never bought an Airstream- we would go in our sob.
We would still go if we didn't have a sob- we would go and pitch a tent. I tent camped for 40 years before i ever had the first trailer.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 08:21 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Your spouse is right. In the worse case scenario .... that is, if it's not your cup of tea ... you can always sell it. And you will have tried it out.

But my guess is that you'll have wonderful times with it. We were all first-timers at one point or another. And we all managed to learn how to do it all. Don't worry about it. Follow your gut and get on board! Let the good times roll!
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 10:52 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
Your happiness and excitement radiates - even if it is juxtaposed with some trepidation.

Whether or not you find it is (or not) for you, we should never regret something that made us happy....even if it was just a brief glimmer.
Old 08-15-2013, 05:30 AM   #16
4 Rivet Member

2018 30' International
2014 30' Flying Cloud
Los alamos , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dickandvicki View Post
Gosh Luigi, I am going through exactly the same thing. I'm scheduled to pick up my new (used AS at Aug 25th). Is this one your first too? Going bonkers!
What are you getting?

Vickie
Getting close for you folks, we maybe getting ours about the same time.
Old 08-16-2013, 05:38 AM   #17
3 Rivet Member

1991 29' Excella
Tulsa , Oklahoma
Luigi, we will have to exchange pictures. It sounds like we are both first timers.. What are you using as your tow vehicle? I just picked up my Chevy Tahoe Tuesday. It sure is BIG compared to my Acura!
Dickandvicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 06:07 AM   #18
4 Rivet Member

2018 30' International
2014 30' Flying Cloud
Los alamos , New Mexico
Just bought 2013 used GMC Denali HD Diesel, big discount ($16,000) because new models coming out. Still trying to decide between a 2008 Classic Ltd 30ft or a new 2014 Flying Cloud 25/27 FB . My wife really likes the 30ft Classic; but I am totally out of my comfort zone with that size and features. Thinking of starting "small" then if we like the experience may e move up. Dealer likes to sell 25fb to new Ida because resale is ex eent and 50% of all Airstream sales. Maybe a 30ft Flying Cloud down the road I am still trying to remember "black water gray water chocks inverter hitches etc" wishing you the best. The key is to find a mentor in your area, still think about the opposite direction but getting committed more each day. Still have a month before I need that final decision. I wake up early some mornings and start reading the forums--maybe therapy for Alumiholics in my future����
Old 08-24-2013, 03:50 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Palestine , Texas
Cold Feet?

Lungi. You've heard the phrase, "You can't take it with you?" Well you can, but only when you use it to get something that moves. I promised myself when I was young that I would not live a life being afraid. I'm not rich, but I've never starved, had many different jobs (artist, teacher, cop, business owner, engineer, etc.). I've traveled all over, owned more motorcycles than I can remember, 7 sailboats (including 3 for blue water). I'm 70 and we just bought or first RV. I don't know what you will do with yours, but I'm going to take mine with m.e. Hope you will not regret whatever choice you make.

Will & Jeanie
2014 Flying Cloud 25
"Blue Skies"
Will_Brule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 11:28 PM   #20
TinCan

2016 30' Classic
Apache Junction , Arizona
Larger then 25' can prevent access to some campsites. Other then being longer and increase in tankage I don't see that much difference between 25 to 30 footers. Still being a newbie with 6 weeks on the road I have already encountered a couple of back ins where I was glad I chose the 25 footer.