Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-13-2019, 11:36 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Carry bike inside?

I'm looking for ideas.
I've done the search thing and most posts are older.
I don't want the rear bike rack Airstream sells. No, no, no.
But I'm wondering if anyone has devised a mount so they can slide a bike in right inside the door.
I'm envisioning a hardwood stand with a ??? bike stand.
One option is the simple clamp where you replace the front tire.
But I'd rather minimize the assembly.

Plan B is a front receiver mount, but a bike inside stays out of the weather.

Here's a roof rack that could be adapted to a skid.
Or a simple front tire stand.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	191163.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	34.7 KB
ID:	340647   Click image for larger version

Name:	74076469_max.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	23.3 KB
ID:	340648  

Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 11:39 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
I have just leaned the bike on the couch or something. Not sure you need a mount unless you can't find a place to lean it where it would stay.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 12:11 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

Kensington , Maryland
Good timing. I'm working on that right now. I've got a friend who sews heavy duty bags for a living. What I've got in mind is a bag that fits the bike with front wheel off (in a wheel bag). The outside of the bag stays nice and clean so you can toss it in the hallway during travel or onto the couch.
We are not fans of bikes in racks.
Too tall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 12:18 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
On our 25' Rear Twin I put a fork mount on the front of the nightstand between the two beds.

On our 20' I put a fork mount on a board and used two board to interlock and keep it from moving on the floor.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P6290008.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	310.8 KB
ID:	340651   Click image for larger version

Name:	P6290007.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	331.6 KB
ID:	340652  

Old 05-13-2019, 01:06 PM   #5
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Your profile states you have a Tundra. Why not just put them in truck bed. For security you could even get a hardtop lockable bed cover?

I've transported bikes before in the trailer. I put some moving blankets bunched up and put the bikes on those....heck I've even moved a disassembled full size shuffle bowling machine in my Airstream from Rapid City on my way home from my trip out west.

I got a few snarky comments and looks from Mrs Twinkie at the time for the two day trip home, but now just get eye rolls and a quirky grin when the subject comes up.
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 02:49 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
I bought a dual bike stand on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/Racor-PBS-2R-...gateway&sr=8-5

We have twin beds so I put it in between them, but if you don't you can probably find other places. Then I installed stainless eye bolts into the bed frame and secured the bikes with a ratchet strap across the aisle. I tried to use a single strap and brace the wheels against the nightstand. The panel wasn't adequately secured so the pressure pushed it back about an inch. If I were to do it again I'd use two straps pulling toward each other.

It was inconvenient when stopping for a single night en-route to somewhere else, but kept the bikes nice and clean.

Al
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 03:47 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne&Sam View Post
On our 25' Rear Twin I put a fork mount on the front of the nightstand between the two beds.
On our 20' I put a fork mount on a board and used two board to interlock and keep it from moving on the floor.
I found your stand on a search. Nice work!
Just curious, did you use additional straps, or did the front clamp keep it from flopping around?

I like your solution, but I don't think I can make the turn from door to hallway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al and Missy View Post
It was inconvenient when stopping for a single night en-route to somewhere else, but kept the bikes nice and clean.
I saw that stand on Amazon. Of course, I just have one bike, and yes, it's inconvenient, that's why I'm thinking right inside the door so I could slide it outside for one night stops. So maybe removing the front wheel would keep it safer.

Thanks.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 05:54 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Coldwater , Ontario

Name:	IMG_5681.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	278.4 KB
ID:	340666
This worked for us. I used the heavy 3M Velcro-on-steroids (canít remember what itís called. Looks like little wee mushrooms that lock into each other) to hold the wood plate on the floor. If I did that again I would just install T-nuts in the floor and bolt the fork mounts directly to the floor.
In the end we found the bikes in the trailer a major pita since it requires removing the table every time so on long multi day travels we couldnít be bothered pulling the bikes out just for overnight and ended up being crowded by the bikes. Sucked. For us. Now the fork mounts are on the tonnneau cover.

Name:	IMG_7031.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	396.8 KB
ID:	340667
bbandeddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 08:22 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2015 28' Land Yacht
Chapel Hill , North Carolina
I hear you that you say you don’t want a rear rack. But... if you have any second thoughts, here are a couple of advantages to having a standard hitch mounted rack:

1. Bikes are out of the way
2. You can put a cover on the bikes so they can stay clean, or
3. If they are dirty then you don’t have to put dirty bikes inside the trailer
4. You can easily transfer the rack to your TV when your Airstream is set up.

See picture below.

As I always mention when discussing this... have it professionally installed by someone who understands airstreams and can weld, and WATCH YOUR TONGUE WEIGHT. you need to be certain to maintain sufficient tongue weight.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	712E3FCA-34AD-4621-8B2D-66B0EDAEA12C.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	329.1 KB
ID:	340675  
HappyHapgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 09:13 PM   #10
caz
2 Rivet Member

2018 30' Flying Cloud
Elgin , Texas
My solution was to purchase a Dakine tailgate pad. The pad has built in velcro straps to hold the bike in the upright position. Front wheel of bike hangs over and against the tailgate. Easy to get the bikes on and off. No interference with my Airstream when towing.
Caz.
caz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 05:22 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
I found your stand on a search. Nice work!
Just curious, did you use additional straps, or did the front clamp keep it from flopping around?

I like your solution, but I don't think I can make the turn from door to hallway.

Thanks.
No extra straps. The boards locked into a recess on the right side. I stowed the front wheel in front of the bike.

I can make the turn in the 25', you ought to be able to in the 26'.

Normally I store the bikes in the tow vehicle (using a similar board). I just use this on occasion now.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P6290006.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	328.3 KB
ID:	340781  
Old 05-27-2019, 10:33 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

1998 31' Excella 1000
Quartzsite , Arizona
Recently purchased a new medium-priced Trek mountain bike and my friend purchased a nice used bike. We bought a dual rack to go into the receiver of his toad and bolted it on. With the recommendation of another biking friend I bought a Kryptonite chain and lock, for extra security. We were in Visalia, CA and my friend decided to go check on the bikes after 45 minutes. Not only were the bikes stolen, but the chain and rack as well! In broad daylight they removed EVERYTHING! Couldn't cut the chain or break the lock, so they took it all. IF there is a next time, I will be locking it up INSIDE my AS!
Pastor Bruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 10:01 PM   #13
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
I have a Montague folding bike that I put inside. I like it, and it fits into the trunk of my car and other tight spots. Much cheaper and more satisfactory overall than spending money on racks.
Old 01-06-2021, 09:00 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

1951 18' Clipper
1965 17' Caravel
Currently Looking...
Ballarat, Victoria , Australia
Today I made a similar fork mount board to Wayne & Sam's,
It's double sided 1.2mm aluminium with a strip of 3/4" ply through the middle for a bit more strength. Also it has 10mm foam rubber pads underneath so I don't scratch the lino. Hopefully the bikes fit.........
Stu
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_9208.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	204.2 KB
ID:	386392  
Disco Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 09:49 AM   #15
1 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Oakland , CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbandeddie View Post
Attachment 340666
This worked for us. I used the heavy 3M Velcro-on-steroids (canít remember what itís called. Looks like little wee mushrooms that lock into each other) to hold the wood plate on the floor. If I did that again I would just install T-nuts in the floor and bolt the fork mounts directly to the floor.
In the end we found the bikes in the trailer a major pita since it requires removing the table every time so on long multi day travels we couldnít be bothered pulling the bikes out just for overnight and ended up being crowded by the bikes. Sucked. For us. Now the fork mounts are on the tonnneau cover.
Attachment 340667
i am about to put my bikes on the tonneau cover with the mounts on the back rail as you did... a couple questions if you would not mind.
1) how are you securing the back wheels?
2) how much sway on the bikes as you drive?
3) it looks like you added an aluminum bracket to the tonneau cover, how did you mount that?
Lastly any other information/changes/thoughts on this set up?
Thank you so much!!
Old Yesterday, 05:33 AM   #16
3 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Coldwater , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by The OctoGent View Post
i am about to put my bikes on the tonneau cover with the mounts on the back rail as you did... a couple questions if you would not mind.

1) how are you securing the back wheels?

2) how much sway on the bikes as you drive?

3) it looks like you added an aluminum bracket to the tonneau cover, how did you mount that?

Lastly any other information/changes/thoughts on this set up?

Thank you so much!!

Hi OctoGent,
1) I riveted, with wide head rivets, a Camco awning strap to the tonneau cover. Works well, but UV wrecks it so needs to be replaced periodically.
2) very, very little sway. They rock a bit when I cross uneven surfaces, but nothing Iíve ever been concerned about. Iíve used it for two trips from Ontario to Arizona and back, and countless local trips to go riding.
3) the aluminum angle was necessary to provide clamping support as the tonneau doesnít provide a lot of compression resistance. On the back side I have a couple of 2x6x1/8 aluminum backer plates under the fork mounts. If I were to do it again, Iíd probably use another piece of angle to go the full width between the two fork mounts.
Other thoughts, donít get carried away tightening this down, the tonneau cover will just keep crushing - hence a longer backing plate is a good idea. I also used a bit of 3M VHB tape between the fork mounts and the Al angle. I used locking fork mounts and also string a bike cable through the frames when we are traveling long distances and stopping a lot. None of that is going to stop a committed thief but it would slow them down enough that maybe they wonít bother or at least wake me up in the night. That said I rarely leave them unattended in busy places and with Covid turning bikes into unobtaineum, I will probably change my overnight practices this winter. Biking is the centre of my life, but they are such a PITA to stow and protect when you live 5months on the road.
bbandeddie is offline   Reply With Quote