Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-21-2020, 03:11 PM   #61
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by daytripper View Post
On that subject, one thing I think would be wise to take into consideration when planning routes, is how much traffic is generally on the road, how much of a shoulder, or is there a bike path option. Unfortunately this morning, there was only a foot or 2 of shoulder, and sometimes I was literally "riding the white line". And being passed by a string of 18-wheelers kind of takes the enjoyment out of a ride, no matter how spectacular the scenery. I liked the suggestion someone made of the Rails-to-Trails option, which are old railroad grades that have been converted into bike trails. Just a thought. I'm sure Too Tall can weigh in on how to choose routes. And... one more vote for Colorado!
We had experience with heavy vehicle traffic on Napa, Russian River, and Alexander Valley rides. I would describe the drivers as going too fast and too close, even through there weren't many heavy trucks. These were mainly pickups, but they seemed to be in a hurry. By way of contrast, we enjoyed riding on narrower roads in Europe much more, because drivers were generally more respectful.

We didn't have the same issues in Solvang, as we were on quieter back roads.

One thing to remember with rail to trail projects is that there is a wide range of construction and maintenance standards. Some are paved and suitable for road bikes. The Kettle Valley Railway loop we did had some reasonable packed gravel, and some great trestles, but in other places people had taken motorcycles on it, destroyed the gravel, and then it washed out. We had to push the bikes on several sections, even with 45C tires. And some of the washouts had standing water deeper than the hubs, requiring a portage.

Jeff
jcl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 03:28 PM   #62
Rivet Master

2012 30' International
1997 25' Safari
1967 20' Globetrotter
Burlington , Ontario
Camping - Cycling Trips! Let's hear about them

jcl,
A levy bike, my name, because it is a really great set up for handling the fine gravel on the flat surface. Fatter tires than my road bike. A levy is a dike that keeps the Everglades from moving in on developed land.
Go to Google earth and have a peak at the green area west of Fort Lauderdale and Miami.
Jim
Old 07-21-2020, 03:59 PM   #63
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Flower View Post
jcl,
A levy bike, my name, because it is a really great set up for handling the fine gravel on the flat surface. Fatter tires than my road bike. A levy is a dike that keeps the Everglades from moving in on developed land.
Go to Google earth and have a peak at the green area west of Fort Lauderdale and Miami.
Jim

Thanks Jim

We have dykes/levees here along the Fraser River. We would use the Sequoia Elites pictured above on them, with 45C tubeless.

Cheers

Jeff
Old 07-21-2020, 05:19 PM   #64
Rivet Master

2012 30' International
1997 25' Safari
1967 20' Globetrotter
Burlington , Ontario
You are all set to have a great time in Florida. I use my old Proctor with 1.25 tires. Works ok. Jim
Old 07-21-2020, 06:08 PM   #65
Rivet Master

2019 22' Sport
Port Coquitlam , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcl View Post
What's a levy bike?

I had to look up the Proctor (even though I used to live in Edmonton/St Albert) Nice bikes. Reminded me of my early '80s Nishiki International in terms of look.

Here is the road bike before the Zipp 303s (hers is an R3); and the touring bike (hers is identical). Those are great for rail trails like the Kettle Valley.

Oh, and the city bikes.

The tandem is now sold (Co Motion Supremo steel, D/A, Rolf) It was fast. But once we got my wife the R3, it was parked a lot.

Jeff
Hi Jeff,

That tandem looks like a hoot! I bet you can cruise at 50kph on some flat sections.

Most of the Kettle Valley trestles were badly damaged by a forest fire and then restored, Were you on it recently after the repairs? That route would tie nicely into an Okanagan tour. I think the wider tires are a must on this route.

Looks like you have a garage full of two wheeled hardware!

"Live Long and Prosper \\//" - Spock
PB_NB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 06:15 PM   #66
Rivet Master

2019 22' Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by daytripper View Post
I would love to ride in Grand Canyon someday, especially if there were little to no traffic! About the closest I've gotten is riding in Mesa Verde this May when the park had just re-opened. I'm currently camping near Mesa Verde in a small town called Dolores, just 20 miles from the entrance. Beautiful spot on the Dolores River, with trees and shade. Much cooler than staying closer to the National Park. I went riding just this morning up the river canyon on CO Hwy 145 towards Lizard Head Pass (named for a rock that, you guessed it, looks like a lizard's head...)

On that subject, one thing I think would be wise to take into consideration when planning routes, is how much traffic is generally on the road, how much of a shoulder, or is there a bike path option. Unfortunately this morning, there was only a foot or 2 of shoulder, and sometimes I was literally "riding the white line". And being passed by a string of 18-wheelers kind of takes the enjoyment out of a ride, no matter how spectacular the scenery. I liked the suggestion someone made of the Rails-to-Trails option, which are old railroad grades that have been converted into bike trails. Just a thought. I'm sure Too Tall can weigh in on how to choose routes. And... one more vote for Colorado!
I know exactly what you mean by the excessive traffic! Back roads and rural routes are best for us. There usually is a quiet route that parallels or criss crosses the main highways so we should be able to find those during the trip planning process. I am all for adding more miles if it means that we can stay off these busy roads.

Old 07-21-2020, 07:10 PM   #67
Rivet Master

2012 30' International
1997 25' Safari
1967 20' Globetrotter
Burlington , Ontario
Tow combo, cycling, camping on St. George Island
Jim
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2081.JPG
Views:	49
Size:	377.6 KB
ID:	373592
Old 07-21-2020, 07:15 PM   #68
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by PB_NB View Post
Hi Jeff,

That tandem looks like a hoot! I bet you can cruise at 50kph on some flat sections.

Most of the Kettle Valley trestles were badly damaged by a forest fire and then restored, Were you on it recently after the repairs? That route would tie nicely into an Okanagan tour. I think the wider tires are a must on this route.

Looks like you have a garage full of two wheeled hardware!
The tandem came out of me getting back into longer rides some years back, travelling too much and working long days, and then disappearing on weekends for those longer rides. My wife was very fit, but wasn't a cyclist. We saw a couple in Tuscany from Oregon, who had a tandem with them, and asked them why. They said it was so that two riders of different abilities could arrive at the same time. Seemed very logical. We put about 7000 km on it. We regularly cruised from Coquitlam to Stanley Park, doing 45 km/hr along the Barnet, 60 km/hr on the downhills. On a charity ride around UBC, we were at 60 km/hr along SW Marine. On a century, we aimed for a 28-30 km/hr average. Then she got the Cervelo, lol, and the tandem was over.

We did the Kettle Valley after the trestles were rebuilt. It was a 90 km day, and a tough ride because of trail conditions, but we also started in Kelowna and rode the forest service road to Myra Canyon first. It was steep and loose enough that we were spinning out on the climbs, and had to walk some. Our Sequoias were fine, but the minimum for that ride. The fat tire mountain bikes, aired down, were doing better. Too many dirt bikes on the trail in the off season.

A better Okanagan route is along the former Canadian Ironman course, from Penticton to Osoyoos behind Skaha Lake, then over to Keremeos via the Richter Pass. Stay in Oliver or Osoyoos, where there is less traffic, and you have several days of out and backs.

We are down to six bikes (and two bike share memberships) but only because we sold three. That is all that fits in a downtown apartment.

Jeff
Old 07-21-2020, 07:16 PM   #69
Rivet Master

2019 22' Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Flower View Post
Tow combo, cycling, camping on St. George Island
Jim
Attachment 373592
Well it looks like Jim is Ready! All we need is a route and a plan

Old 07-21-2020, 07:31 PM   #70
Rivet Master

2019 22' Sport
Quote:
The tandem came out of me getting back into longer rides some years back, travelling too much and working long days, and then disappearing on weekends for those longer rides. My wife was very fit, but wasn't a cyclist. We saw a couple in Tuscany from Oregon, who had a tandem with them, and asked them why. They said it was so that two riders of different abilities could arrive at the same time. Seemed very logical. We put about 7000 km on it. We regularly cruised from Coquitlam to Stanley Park, doing 45 km/hr along the Barnet, 60 km/hr on the downhills. On a charity ride around UBC, we were at 60 km/hr along SW Marine. On a century, we aimed for a 28-30 km/hr average. Then she got the Cervelo, lol, and the tandem was over.

We did the Kettle Valley after the trestles were rebuilt. It was a 90 km day, and a tough ride because of trail conditions, but we also started in Kelowna and rode the forest service road to Myra Canyon first. It was steep and loose enough that we were spinning out on the climbs, and had to walk some. Our Sequoias were fine, but the minimum for that ride. The fat tire mountain bikes, aired down, were doing better. Too many dirt bikes on the trail in the off season.

A better Okanagan route is along the former Canadian Ironman course, from Penticton to Osoyoos behind Skaha Lake, then over to Keremeos via the Richter Pass. Stay in Oliver or Osoyoos, where there is less traffic, and you have several days of out and backs.

We are down to six bikes (and two bike share memberships) but only because we sold three. That is all that fits in a downtown apartment.

Jeff
I thought I saw you on that tandem flying along Barnet Hwy We did the Rotary ride to Harrison a long while ago and Alex Stieda showed up with a Tandem. That route was pretty flat and rolling and man was that duo very fast.

When I raced, we did the BC Summer Games up around the Kelowna Airport and that whole valley. It was very hot and fast as I recall.

These days, I look at the fun of riding the hills behind Penticton in Naramata wine country as an example. We could do a ride/wine tasting at the 40 wineries

Old 07-21-2020, 08:30 PM   #71
1 Rivet Member

2020 22' Caravel
Sarasota , Florida
Seems that nobody that reads the forums ride a recumbent trike, I guess I'm on my own. It's really the reason I bought my AS, 22'fb Caravel, plenty of room and my trike fits in the truck. Have to figure out how to rotate pictures, sorry.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0635.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	551.8 KB
ID:	373597  
Trucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 08:44 PM   #72
Rivet Master

2019 22' Sport
Hi Trucker,

Rotating images seems to be a challenge. I am not too sure why the image previews do that. i tried to rotate it as well and it doesn't want to.

You are right, there isn't very much discussion about recumbents and Airstream.

What sort of riding do you enjoy with your machine? Is that electric assist and strictly pedal power?

As you have been reading this thread, you can see that we are discussing some possible group riding and camping and would welcome your ideas and experiences with some rides that you like.

Please feel free to jump in with your ideas.

Old 07-22-2020, 08:08 AM   #73
1 Rivet Member

2020 22' Caravel
Sarasota , Florida
My trike is a Ti-Trike 250, the company only make e-assist trikes. I got mine between double knee replacement, and haven't looked back! Honestly I've always gone out solo, with rides up to twenty miles.
My camping plans are trips on the eastern coast in the spring and summer, and the gulf coast in the winter. I'm still working, but cut back testing retirement
Old 07-22-2020, 09:48 AM   #74
Rivet Master

2019 22' Sport
I had a look at the Tri-trike website. It seems that they put a lot of thought into their designs.

Do you find that the roads and paths are wide enough for the front wheels? What sort of distance can the trike do on strictly battery?

Old 07-22-2020, 03:45 PM   #75
1 Rivet Member

2020 22' Caravel
Sarasota , Florida
Quote:
I had a look at the Tri-trike website. It seems that they put a lot of thought into their designs.

They really went after the "less agile, or physically limited" market. It's not a true recumbent.

Do you find that the roads and paths are wide enough for the front wheels? What sort of distance can the trike do on strictly battery?
I've not had any problems on paved, or groomed bike trails. I haven't tried just rough trails in the woods, or any beach rides. When I bought mine, it was the owner's "demo", with the extra upgrades including batteries. I was told on a full charge to expect 35-40 miles, I've never tried it.
Old 07-22-2020, 03:55 PM   #76
Rivet Master

2019 22' Sport
I would think that would you a great range if combined with some pedal power.

I don't have any power on my bike (expect for the shifting) so I always just go downhill

I do have to start shopping for an e-bike add-on for my wife's bike as her knees are giving her problems.

Old 07-22-2020, 04:37 PM   #77
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Quote:
I do have to start shopping for an e-bike add-on for my wife's bike as her knees are giving her problems.
Given that you are in BC, and the BC Supreme Court recently ruled on the laws associated with electric assist bikes, it is worth ensuring that any shopping be for an assist add-on that only engages when she is pedaling. The throttled ebikes are in a grey zone here now, as they generally don't meet vehicle licensing minimum requirements, and are no longer accepted as electric assist bikes. PM me if you want info.

Jeff
Old 07-22-2020, 05:00 PM   #78
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
Western NC , North Carolina
Quote:
Given that you are in BC, and the BC Supreme Court recently ruled on the laws associated with electric assist bikes, it is worth ensuring that any shopping be for an assist add-on that only engages when she is pedaling. The throttled ebikes are in a grey zone here now, as they generally don't meet vehicle licensing minimum requirements, and are no longer accepted as electric assist bikes. PM me if you want info.

Jeff

This applies in the US as well, e assist is treated differently than throttle only.
JonDNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 05:06 PM   #79
Rivet Master

2019 22' Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonDNC View Post
This applies in the US as well, e assist is treated differently than throttle only.
Good to know, thanks for the heads up. I think the assist would be the way to go.

Old 07-22-2020, 05:40 PM   #80
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonDNC View Post
I think the regulations are pretty standard, but the issue we had here is that it has been in court since 2012. The provincial regulation refers to electric assist cycles, but many throttled devices were sold that skirted the rules. Some had vestigial pedals that weren't very functional. They didn't need plates or insurance, or driver's licenses, and were very popular with those who lost their licenses in DUIs. They are speed limited when sold, by law, but the dealers freely supplied the codes to defeat the speed limiters. The regulation hasn't been enforced, and a whole industry was created. Now, with the recent ruling, those devices are illegal. They aren't legally bicycles, but they can't be licensed as motor vehicles because they don't meet those standards either. So a lot of importers and dealers here are figuring out how to unload their stock of non compliant devices.