Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-24-2021, 05:50 PM   #61
Rivet Master

2020 23' Flying Cloud
2019 22' Sport
Sebastian , Florida
AZtincan, Though I could be accused of posting some of the grumbliest comments on this thread, I have to completely agree with 1streamdream. What do they say, “the worst day at the lake still beats the best day at the office”? We towed an SOB as a family to see the country. Now that it’s the two of us, a cozy, “tows like a dream”, never have to refresh the rubber roof camper is right for us. As I’ve said before, you seldom go wrong listening to the wife’s opinion.
As for the TV, it sounds like new is the better way to go right now, and if you’ve been lurking long, you know that a more basic but more robust vehicle will maximize your capacity and towing comfort while conserving your budget. You can select a color and other comforts that best fit your plans and preferences. Don’t let the scary headlines hold you back.
I’ll close by asking, how much did your employers value and compensate each year of your service? You are considering a multi year investment in yourselves, and you seem to be in agreement on the approach. I suspect you’ll have more regrets if you don’t follow through than if you do.
GetawA-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 06:33 PM   #62
Rivet Master

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Schaumburg , Illinois
We gave considerable attention to the finances, as part of the overall plan. I knew we had to part with a non trivial $$$ amount, and we were very very fortunate to have located a used unit from a private sale. Wonderful human, a fair deal all around, and we did not have to pay the brand new premium as a result. We were very specific about what we wanted, and kept watching for it. If the GT is what makes the dream come true for you and yours, don’t hesitate to jump in when you find one. The RV market is crazy now, that’s unfortunate, but keep looking, maybe the stars will align soon and you might find “the one”. My only other advice is if you do find a candidate, and it’s in good shape etc, find a way to make it happen, don’t wait. I realize you don’t have a TV just yet, but there are work arounds. Even if you need to rent/borrow a truck to get the trailer home, things can still come together.
1StreamDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 05:16 AM   #63
Old dog new tricks

2017 19' Flying Cloud
Banner elk , North Carolina
Go for it!

You won’t regret it: go for it. Resale on AS model you are looking for is very high if you decide to bail (for whatever reason). But scratch that itch while you can. We don’t regret a minute or a single dollar. Just go read the threads on taking possession (camp on site of dealer for total shakedown) etc. it’s a great adventure! Godspeed.
Flying Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 08:12 AM   #64
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Gilbert , Arizona
GetawA-S/Flying Pig, thanks for your comments.
1StreamDream, I’ve seen a couple of decent enough deals pop up, but had to let them go after not finding a single storage place less than 100 miles away. One’s being built close to me and our name is on the list. For better or worse, TT, TV or not, we’re grabbing a spot when available. At least if I have one piece figured out, I can get the other pieces to fall into place. There’s what appears to be a decent deal in NJ right now, but the truck I could borrow just left for the other side of US with it’s people and TT, so I guess that wasn’t the deal for us. We will not rent a truck. No way! We’ve had nothing but problems with rentals and even after requesting and reserving capable vehicles, we ended up with junk that shouldn’t have even been rented locally. We discovered just how many rights we didn’t have in those transactions. Consequently, we incurred massive expenses, delays and hardships that went on endlessly. We’ll have to wait for the right time…hope to have some good news in a few months.
AZTinCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 08:36 AM   #65
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

The main point: You are mobile. If you run into something that isn't to your liking, you only have to put up with it for one night. Cancel out of the site (if it's a pay site) and move on. There always will be someplace else to go (even if it's a Walmart parking lot ... ).

We find Harvest Hosts to be a great thing to use for "unscheduled" camping.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 01:04 PM   #66
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZTinCan View Post
GetawA-S/Flying Pig, thanks for your comments.
1StreamDream, I’ve seen a couple of decent enough deals pop up, but had to let them go after not finding a single storage place less than 100 miles away. One’s being built close to me and our name is on the list. For better or worse, TT, TV or not, we’re grabbing a spot when available. At least if I have one piece figured out, I can get the other pieces to fall into place. There’s what appears to be a decent deal in NJ right now, but the truck I could borrow just left for the other side of US with it’s people and TT, so I guess that wasn’t the deal for us. We will not rent a truck. No way! We’ve had nothing but problems with rentals and even after requesting and reserving capable vehicles, we ended up with junk that shouldn’t have even been rented locally. We discovered just how many rights we didn’t have in those transactions. Consequently, we incurred massive expenses, delays and hardships that went on endlessly. We’ll have to wait for the right time…hope to have some good news in a few months.

AZTinCan

We couldn’t afford new, my wife would never agree to spending that kind of money and I am handy so we are vintage owners and that works for us.

If your wife loves the 25 GT, go for it but make sure you get one with the last two improvements- compressor fridge and composite floor.

You will figure out the TV in time.

I hope you join in this wonderful Airstream life.

Dan
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 01:37 PM   #67
Rivet Master

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Schaumburg , Illinois
Yea, I guess I probably didn't think about all the limitations on a rental, but it sounds like you are exploring all available options anyhow, and that was my earlier line of thought. I hope the pieces fall into place for you and it all comes together, maybe I should spin my wisdom around just a bit .... don't just take the first thing that comes along, make sure its what you want/like and it works for you in all the important ways (including financially). My earlier "push" was simply that if you find that situation, move forward on it, don't wait or second guess. The tow vehicle is equally hard, the market is so unusual due to the chip shortage. Wish you the very best of good fortune as you try to solve the puzzles.
1StreamDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 02:57 PM   #68
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Gilbert , Arizona
TouringDan, yes the composite floor is a big deal. So far as the compressor fridge…there’s been arguments on both sides. I’m preferring the update even though it eliminates the propane option. I guess it’s 21+, but if the savings are great enough…

1StreamDream, it’ll come together. We could force it to happen now if we made a move on the TV. Have had a couple in our grasp, but not even MSRP was good enough for the dealers. Not losing our minds and shorts over this. It’ll blow over. Hopefully the number of jerks messing up the RVing experience will taper off too.
AZTinCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 08:28 AM   #69
2 Rivet Member

2022 30' Flying Cloud
Kent , Ohio
As a newbie, I just want to say how grateful we are for the friendly and helpful folks out there. I've learned so much from this site, and when we rented this week to try things out before we order, we were really grateful for the man in the next site over who watched us try to back up the TV to rehitch and get it right and was like, "Can I tell you a couple of things that will make this easier?"

But the whole world is crabby these days. Hopefully we can all get back to a better relationship with our fellow man one of these days.
mickeyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 09:23 AM   #70
2 Rivet Member

2018 25' Flying Cloud
2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
2011 19' Flying Cloud
ADA County , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by JunkYard View Post
I’ve had a couple recently. Not all from newbies. In Idaho I ran into a couple weirdos. One group wanted to park in our campsite so they could get the one next to us. My dw said ok (because two dudes were pressuring her) then they sat in the neighbors camp which was occupied by two women and drank coffee and wanted to help them pack up. At 7am!!!! I had to tell these guys to not walk through the middle of my campsite as well. I ran them off and the ladies thanked me.

At the same place another group kept coming by and walking in our campsite and sticking their heads into our camper. As seen from the lake, Always while I’m gone and dw has the kids. Later a giant dude from their camp walks up to my wife while she’s at the camp fire and badgers her about wanting our spot when we leave, in three days. He just told us though didn’t ask. This is a first come first serve place. Come to find out after we told someone else they could have our spot as we were leaving. He had badgered the host into accepting payment 3 days earlier, thus reserveing the site. Then they told me how the man is a school teacher and isn’t a dick head. But I’ve know a few teachers and know better.

Great Lake spots arnt always so great. I don’t know if it was covid or people from Boise or what. Other people around us said it was Boise. I asked how can you tell? The license plates, Idaho has profiling license plates. I did meet plenty of nice respectful people.
I doubt that they were “from” Boise. More than likely californians who moved to Boise.
sncnidaho is offline   Reply With Quote