Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Closed Thread

Old 09-06-2020, 06:02 PM   #101
2 Rivet Member

Cedar Hill , Texas
First off, I do turn off my (one) 5 gallon light. It seems to me that the giant light has become miss used. It was originally intend to be ONE, not a string of lights advertising a landing strip for small jets. The original intent is (or was) insect control. Also, the proper way to make the light is to cut an opening, about 4" in diameter, in the lid NOT the bottom. Hang it a little distance from where you set/dine AND turn it OFF when you go inside. You maybe surprised; like the Hotel California, insects check in but never check out.
Old 09-06-2020, 06:38 PM   #102
Rivet Master

2007 27' Safari FB SE
NW Oregon in a nice spot , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by fthopkins View Post
First off, I do turn off my (one) 5 gallon light. It seems to me that the giant light has become miss used. It was originally intend to be ONE, not a string of lights advertising a landing strip for small jets. The original intent is (or was) insect control. Also, the proper way to make the light is to cut an opening, about 4" in diameter, in the lid NOT the bottom. Hang it a little distance from where you set/dine AND turn it OFF when you go inside. You maybe surprised; like the Hotel California, insects check in but never check out.
And you kind person are the first to weigh in on this thread with the reason for them, which makes sense. And the proper use, which makes sense. So I would venture a guess that you are not happy with those that abuse what initially made sense?
Seems to be kind of the way things go these days, or I am getting old and less tolerant. BUT I ALWAYS had my kids use campground voices and bike riding...and hotel voices.
Thank you for letting me learn the origin of them.
Old 09-06-2020, 10:36 PM   #103
2 Rivet Member

Mesa , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by primepower View Post
Being in the military for as long as I have you are trained to be considerate and realize what affect your actions have on others. So it is in me to expect that from others and so I get upset when people create light pollution or have their stereos up so loud as to annoy me or leave their TV's on and not even be outside watching them. That being said, I am trying to learn this is my problem and placing my expectations on other people isn't fair. It's not an internal fight that I have won yet but I'm working on it. Otherwise I'll always be unhappy because I don't think people are becoming more considerate.

This is one of the beat posts on any subject that I have ever read. Hats off! I am no fan of any of the above behavior, however, I too am trying to get to primepower's level of Zen.

Canyon
Old 09-06-2020, 10:39 PM   #104
1 Rivet Member

2020 27' Flying Cloud
Norcross , Georgia
I so agree with the complaints. Love dark night camping. I think if more of us mentioned this new "problem" to the campground managers eventually they would add outdoor light-out at 10:00 P.M.restrictions. Most parks have these restrictions in place for noise. Like voting, if enough exercise their voices together the numbers add up, and change happens. Remember someone started the 10:00 rule for noise.
Old 09-07-2020, 06:04 AM   #105
2 Rivet Member

Williamsburg , Virginia
We were brought up with the Golden Rule, too. Sounds a lot like what you’re saying. I also hope longtime FT campers don’t think ALL n00bz like me will be disrespectful or loud or rude etc. I am sorry to hear that some people are behaving badly/selfishly. I have no answers for anyone but myself and that will be to boondock much of the time if not all if what I am reading here is happening with greater and greater frequency.
Old 09-07-2020, 08:41 AM   #106
Zippy and the Chief

2021 30' Globetrotter
Chapin , South Carolina
I would agree. Everyone is entitled to their version of camping whether it be to party all night or to hit the sack at 8 PM. I think the onus is on each camper to do their research to find campgrounds that are more conducive to the type of camping they prefer. Certainly we have all unknowingly annoyed others with our habits or routines that are comfort to us, but make zero sense to others. We've found that certain state parks in SC, and even specific loops are well known for their socialization including out doing each other in the lighting department. We try to embrace every experience at every campground and look beyond those small things that we may not care for, but certainly can tolerate, and focus on the enjoying the entire experience, rather than dwell on the negatives.

ScottNDee
Old 09-08-2020, 05:53 AM   #107
2 Rivet Member

Cincinnati , Ohio
Tough pill to swallow but there needs to be room for everyone. I’m not a bucket guy per say. The nature of campgrounds is that they tend to be tight fits. I try to be mindful with my dog, children, music and yes lighting. I also try to accommodate others along the spectrum of camping preferences. I am guilty of forgetting to turn out my awning light. I give people the benefit of the doubt that they have the light on for reasons other than to annoy others. They may not do well in the dark. They may have vision problems. The list of possible reasons is nearly endless. And yes, they simply like the lights and are indifferent to others dislike of them is one possible reason too. I take the mindset with me that I’m going to have awesome camp experiences and I’m going to have lousy ones. The average though is that when all is said and done, I enjoy it immensely and don’t keep as a keepsake the unpleasant memories.
Old 09-08-2020, 07:06 AM   #108
2 Rivet Member

2021 27' International
Carrollton , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottOldre View Post
I would agree. Everyone is entitled to their version of camping whether it be to party all night or to hit the sack at 8 PM. I think the onus is on each camper to do their research to find campgrounds that are more conducive to the type of camping they prefer. Certainly we have all unknowingly annoyed others with our habits or routines that are comfort to us, but make zero sense to others. We've found that certain state parks in SC, and even specific loops are well known for their socialization including out doing each other in the lighting department. We try to embrace every experience at every campground and look beyond those small things that we may not care for, but certainly can tolerate, and focus on the enjoying the entire experience, rather than dwell on the negatives.

ScottNDee
Thanks for the most logical, rational and selfless post in this thread! The onus is on us to find the places to camp that meets our goals. Going to a big family KOA or an RV Resort and expecting "Dark Skies" just doesn't make sense. The world doesn't bend to our own desires and expectations no matter what you read in the media.
Old 09-08-2020, 04:51 PM   #109
4 Rivet Member

2024 19' Caravel
Washougal , Washington
I'm going to continue the previous thread drift...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCinSC2 View Post
That’s part of the charm and mystique of a liquid fuel lantern...
For years, I had a BriteLyt. Made in the US, still in business. They sell a lot into military use, as they'll burn most anything but do best on kerosene. They're also much safer to use than some others. You can't say that about a Petromax or Geniol pressure lamp.

I had a nickle-plated 500 CP, and WOW was it bright!! You can throttle it back if you want, but gee WHIZ does it put out the light at full throttle. They also make 150 CP units, those are a bit brighter than modern Coleman lamps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCinSC2 View Post
... The Coleman Silk lites and gold top are the common old GOOD mantles. Don’t pitch them.
BriteLyt sells mantles, and I think (IMHO) they're as good as the old Coleman ones. You might want to give them a try.

Hope that helps.

*footnote: I've collected and restored antique kerosene signal and marking lamps for most of my life. I'm getting rid of some of them; it's time for 'the next guy' to enjoy them.
Click here to go to my blog: I try to add wisdom, not noise.
Old 09-08-2020, 07:14 PM   #110
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Campground's/Camper's Too Bright Lights

Steam guy,

I’ve become a Petromax, AIDA, Geniol fixer upper type. Possibly fettled about 10+ units and I own three myself. I deal with brytelite for parts, and kits for fettling. Mine are all older, exact ages unknown.

I got real lucky and stumbled on a 3/4 box of Gold Tops and quite a few Silk Lites too. I’m good for a while.

Those kero 500cp are incredibly bright. They have their place especially with a shade on them. My fav right now is one of my four Milspec lanterns. This trip my 1963 King Seeley is ready to go.

Gary
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
Old 09-08-2020, 09:39 PM   #111
Rivet Master

2017 25' International
Carlsbad , California
This reminds me of why my mother stressed "being considerate". Thanks for the reminder... "thoughtful or sympathetic regard or respect; thoughtfulness for others"
Old 09-08-2020, 09:55 PM   #112
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
A very wise Scout Leader that I knew back in the 1960’s once explained to me that, “Your rights end where someone else’s begin.”

Mr. Angie Massey was an orphan, literally raised by nuns, with horrible physical issues all his life, a small guy with a fantastic baritone voice that could fill a room. He was a man of deep faith and taught respect for others. I still remember and can hear his voice in my head to this day.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
Old 09-09-2020, 04:21 AM   #113
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmkrum View Post
A very wise Scout Leader that I knew back in the 1960’s once explained to me that, “Your rights end where someone else’s begin.”

Mr. Angie Massey was an orphan, literally raised by nuns, with horrible physical issues all his life, a small guy with a fantastic baritone voice that could fill a room. He was a man of deep faith and taught respect for others. I still remember and can hear his voice in my head to this day.
My dad taught me the exact same quote. I'm afraid it is dead.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
Old 09-09-2020, 06:03 AM   #114
Rivet Master

2016 16' Sport
Miami , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
My dad taught me the exact same quote. I'm afraid it is dead.
Yep. It’s nothing like back in the day when everyone was considerate and did the right thing. All of us with young children are doing a terrible job and raising selfish kids. The world is doomed. Soon there will be nothing left but grumpy old men complaining that it’s not like the good old days.
Old 09-09-2020, 06:17 AM   #115
Rivet Master

2016 16' Sport
Miami , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by grumblin View Post
Thanks for the most logical, rational and selfless post in this thread! The onus is on us to find the places to camp that meets our goals. Going to a big family KOA or an RV Resort and expecting "Dark Skies" just doesn't make sense. The world doesn't bend to our own desires and expectations no matter what you read in the media.
THIS!
Not everyone’s idea of camping is a back to nature event. Every time I’ve seen a 5th wheel with a huge widescreen mounted on the outside it’s been in a family RV park. I’ve never encountered one so loud as to annoy me. Families are there to get away to a place where the kids can run around, meet other kids, ride their bikes and enjoy some freedom.
I’ve had tent campers tell me I’m not really camping. Maybe the big shiny aluminum things we love are an eye sore to some in state and federal parks. Maybe thinking everyone should think like us is selfish.
Old 09-09-2020, 06:35 AM   #116
2020 Globetrotter 25 FBT

2020 25' Globetrotter
Wildwood , Missouri
I guess I’m wired a bit differently. I wouldn’t feel right if I left camp and my dog barked outside all day while tied up on a rope. I don’t run my generator late at all. When we camped with our kids, we were quiet around the campfire at night.
If I thought my kids or myself might be really aggravating to other campers, I’d feel bad about it, so I didn’t let it happen. We still had a blast, and had campfires almost every night. Now the polite thing is to be understanding and to each their own. Be happy while one neighbor lights up the sky and the other neighbor blasts loud music. That just seems inconsiderate to me. It does not seem right. Oh well, we haven’t found these light show folks, and very few loud music folks. Maybe it’s because we really look hard for out of the way CGs. Although last winter we were in three state parks in Florida and it was very quiet every evening. Full hookups, but lots of trees between sites.

Previous AS trailers: (04) 19’ Bambi, and (11) FC 23FB
Old 09-10-2020, 08:40 AM   #117
2 Rivet Member

Mesa , Arizona
I am on several RV forums and this subject comes up more often than one would think. I am amazed at the responses here compared to the other sites. Most here are understanding, compassionate, tolerant and actually understand that camping is different things to different people. How refreshing! It has always amazed me that some people will go to an RV park and expect everyone to adhere to their idea of what should and shouldn't be happening there. If one requires dead quiet and dark skies it is their responsibility to find camping spots that fill those requirements, it is not my responsibility to alter my behavior to meet their needs. Kudos to all who understand that.
Canyon
Old 09-10-2020, 09:01 AM   #118
4 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Williamsburg , VA
I just don't agree that it's ok to blast your music and TV's as if you're neighbor wants to hear it. I listen to music outside but at respectable levels.

I also don't see the point in leaving on outside lights if you're not outside other than to say "look at me".

All of these actions are selfish and narcissist in my book. Listen to music and enjoy your lights when you are out there and at respectable levels. It's just being considerate to others.
Old 09-10-2020, 07:22 PM   #119
Sojourner69

1969 25' Tradewind
Holland , Michigan
LEDs are the curse of the camping world. It’s called “camping” for a reason: people want to be in an environment different than home. I go camping to see the stars and experience the dark away from street lights and noise. A sensitive, thoughtful camper realizes this and adheres to good camping etiquette. This is at the basis of civil society: understanding what is appropriate and conforming behavior to norms.
Old 09-10-2020, 09:49 PM   #120
Rivet Puller

2003 28' Safari S/O
Atlanta Burbs , Georgia
Ah, the good ole days when everybody stuck to behavioral norms. I almost remember when no one brought an engine into the national park to spoil the air, create ungodly noise, or cut roadways through the virgin forests. The issue in those days was which breed you rode in on and would it bray all night or whinny, whether you diapered it’s rump so nobody had to step in piles, or didn't dig your latrine trench deep enough or far enough away. What hasn’t changed.. complaining about who burnt green wood and made too much smoke,

Sir Tristan
Air #48582, S/SO #003, WBCCI #4584
Closed Thread