Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-26-2019, 12:27 PM   #21
4 Rivet Member

2011 30' Flying Cloud
Greenback , Tennessee
Cabin or A.S.

About a dozen years ago, my wife and I bought our first A.S., a 25' FB and we enjoyed it. We did have several problems, which we finally got ironed out, but then my elderly mother-in-law came to live with us and effectively ended our travels. When we sold the A.S., we purchased a mountain cabin less than an hour from our home. It is a lovely cabin, just outside the GSMNP, but there were a few things that needed done, which I have taken care of. With MIL being infirm and eventually in assisted care, we still didn't use it a lot. MIL passed away about three years ago, so we bought another AS, a 30' FC, which we enjoyed and had great plans for. About a year and a half later, I lost my wife to cancer, and now I have both cabin and AS and have not used either very much lately.

Both are paid for, and I would say that the annual cost of ownership is about the same. I pay for covered storage, gasoline for truck, license and insurance for truck and trailer, routine maintenance and camping fees. For the cabin, I pay utility bills, property tax, home owners dues, termite inspection, mowing and occasional maintenance items I can't do myself, including staining about every five years.

With luck, the cabin will appreciate in value, while the truck and trailer will not. At this point in your lives, though, it looks like the AS might be the best route. When you get old and lazy, go for the cabin.
Gneiss Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 01:38 PM   #22
2 Rivet Member

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Rockaway , New Jersey
do it now

After reading this entire thread
with a tear in my eye, all I can say is

Whatever you do, just do it now!
Old 06-26-2019, 03:46 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Sage advice all around. My choice would be an Airstream (this is airforums, right?). Owning lot to park on would be nice, but travel is the adventure. Once you own a building, you’ll feel you always have to go there. YMMV.
Old 06-26-2019, 05:36 PM   #24
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
If you want a property, the cabin is the answer. If you want to see it all, then maybe an AS. You have a lot of research to do before you decide.

We thought about a condo on the East coast so it would be easy to travel in those states. We decided the AS was a better idea. It makes an easier travel accommodation. But we are happy with a 23. Folks that must have a Classic 30 spend a lot more and may or may not be happier.

It really is all about you. It may be wise to get an SOB and try the RV world for a while. The AS world is a commitment to something else. If that's for you, we'll be looking to see you down the road. If it's not, we'll still drink a glass of wine with you if you track us down. It's fun out there. Figure out how you want to do it.

Look at the small motorhomes too. They work for some folks.

Research before you buy. Know all the answers first. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 06:06 PM   #25
CC

1972 27' Overlander
Heinsburg , AB
Wanted to add buy both but didn't want to sound ostentatious. We have a cabin at a lake 10 minutes away; we pull the trailer there often. I love pulling my "mobile mini home" with me whatever the occassion, whether it's watching our son play ball or a family wedding. It truly is a personal lifestyle choice. Good luck.
CC
PS my heart and prayers go out to all having to travel without their life long partners
Camper Crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 06:16 PM   #26
Trailer Sold, Waving

2019 26' Flying Cloud
Stettler , Alberta
I had the cabin on a lake for 6 years. The peace and tranquility was awesome, and it really helped me to calm and leave work behind. But as gorgeous as it was, I could not help wondering if I should do more with my life while I am still living. I sold it all, got the Airstream a year ago, and have not looked back.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0484.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	111.2 KB
ID:	344599   Click image for larger version

Name:	cabin 001.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	638.1 KB
ID:	344600  

WBCCI #6679
Acheron2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 09:05 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Washington , Washington, D.C.
A cabin is stuck in the same spot forever. Think through in your mind’s eye how a weekend or a week’s visit to a cabin, stuck in the same place 24/7, would be.
PatLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 09:58 PM   #28
3 Rivet Member

Seattle , Washington
Wow.. I’m VERY grateful for all you taking the time to respond with such thoughtful comments and advice. I’ve been reading these posts through tear-filled eyes as some of you have shared your toughest moments with all of us. Those of us still trying to figure things out really appreciate your advice and wisdom.

Once I compose myself a bit, I’ll respond to individual suggestions, etc.

Thanks again and happy exploring!
ijoe13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 11:13 AM   #29
3 Rivet Member

Seattle , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acheron2010 View Post
I had the cabin on a lake for 6 years. The peace and tranquility was awesome, and it really helped me to calm and leave work behind. But as gorgeous as it was, I could not help wondering if I should do more with my life while I am still living. I sold it all, got the Airstream a year ago, and have not looked back.

Appreciate the advice! Our golden retrievers loves the road as well, so his vote is for an AS. [emoji3]
Old 06-30-2019, 11:14 AM   #30
3 Rivet Member

Seattle , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatLee View Post
A cabin is stuck in the same spot forever. Think through in your mind’s eye how a weekend or a week’s visit to a cabin, stuck in the same place 24/7, would be.

I’ve been doing just that. The answer when I think Cabin vs AS usually comes out at AS.
Old 06-30-2019, 11:18 AM   #31
3 Rivet Member

Seattle , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKI View Post
If you want a property, the cabin is the answer. If you want to see it all, then maybe an AS. You have a lot of research to do before you decide.

We thought about a condo on the East coast so it would be easy to travel in those states. We decided the AS was a better idea. It makes an easier travel accommodation. But we are happy with a 23. Folks that must have a Classic 30 spend a lot more and may or may not be happier.

It really is all about you. It may be wise to get an SOB and try the RV world for a while. The AS world is a commitment to something else. If that's for you, we'll be looking to see you down the road. If it's not, we'll still drink a glass of wine with you if you track us down. It's fun out there. Figure out how you want to do it.

Look at the small motorhomes too. They work for some folks.

Research before you buy. Know all the answers first. Pat

Thanks, Pat. We’ve considered the possibility of an AS now and some land later as funds allow. Exploring a bunch of places is higher on the list right now, so we’re closer to an answer.

And yes, we’d be happy to share a bottle of red with you. See you on the road!
Old 06-30-2019, 11:24 AM   #32
3 Rivet Member

Seattle , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gneiss Guy View Post
About a dozen years ago, my wife and I bought our first A.S., a 25' FB and we enjoyed it. We did have several problems, which we finally got ironed out, but then my elderly mother-in-law came to live with us and effectively ended our travels. When we sold the A.S., we purchased a mountain cabin less than an hour from our home. It is a lovely cabin, just outside the GSMNP, but there were a few things that needed done, which I have taken care of. With MIL being infirm and eventually in assisted care, we still didn't use it a lot. MIL passed away about three years ago, so we bought another AS, a 30' FC, which we enjoyed and had great plans for. About a year and a half later, I lost my wife to cancer, and now I have both cabin and AS and have not used either very much lately.

Both are paid for, and I would say that the annual cost of ownership is about the same. I pay for covered storage, gasoline for truck, license and insurance for truck and trailer, routine maintenance and camping fees. For the cabin, I pay utility bills, property tax, home owners dues, termite inspection, mowing and occasional maintenance items I can't do myself, including staining about every five years.

With luck, the cabin will appreciate in value, while the truck and trailer will not. At this point in your lives, though, it looks like the AS might be the best route. When you get old and lazy, go for the cabin.

Sorry for your loss.

The cabin does seem more like the “better when we’re older” option. We love being on the road, exploring and plan to do so for a long time.
Old 06-30-2019, 11:36 AM   #33
3 Rivet Member

Seattle , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcanavera View Post
Lot of folks around me in my age bracket went the condo route for a vacation home. We've got some wonderful locations in Missouri and a lot of friends who bought the condo, the boat, maybe the house at the lake etc. Interesting in that every person who are my friends eventually sold that investment. It's been one of three common reasons. One is rising condo assessments for improvements and upkeep, two is the boredom. Same place all the time, it tends to lose its attractiveness. Finally it's the upkeep. I used to envy the guy who had a home at Lake of the Ozarks and I used to envy him on the 150 mile drive to relax on the weekend. He said Jack it's no vacation. I work all week and have to keep the house up, then I go down to the lake on the weekends and I'm cutting grass, repairing the house etc. It's really not as neat as you think it is.

For my wife and I, we made the choice of the camping and 15 years ago made the investment in the Airstream. With indoor storage I've been able to minimize the wear and tear that typically occurs with trailers and I truly know that investment is the last I will make. Sure I've had some upkeep but from an economics stand point it has been a sound investment. On my 3rd set of tires, had to replace a brake drum and the associated brake, replaced a skylight and pretty much that's it. Yeah I pay to store it but that cost is far less than real estate tax, condo fees and assessments for improvements.

The other aspect is the sad day when you lose your partner in life. It's hard dealing with it at home, but if you have a recreational residence outside of your home, it will be that much harder living with what you have had there. I've met some widowed singles in the past year and every one who had property like a home or condo sold them on the passage of their spouse. And one I met actually went out and bought a trailer so that they could travel and explore. Since my wife has passed, not only have I traveled to new locations and places that we never saw together, but because we traveled to so many locales over the years, I can return to those places we loved if I wish. Having the trailer has been a godsend to me.

Jack

Jack- I’m so sorry to learn about the loss of your wife. I mentioned your comment to my wife and we just looked at each other, trying to stay in the moment as long as possible. We know our time together is finite, so we try to laugh as often as possible and share in the making of great memories to have when we’ll no longer be together.

Thanks again for sharing your thoughts and advice. We really appreciate it.

Hopefully we’ll see you on the road!
Old 06-30-2019, 11:46 AM   #34
3 Rivet Member

Seattle , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by SYC2Vette View Post
There are campgrounds that have Airstreams onsite for rent, many in very nice locations. Have you tried that out? Good way to find out how you like RV trailer camping I think, at minimal cost. Personally would not have wanted to limit my travel options and adding the maintenance obligations by owning a vacation cabin when I was your age and working full time.

Can you share some specific links to campsites with rentable airstreams? Preferably in the NW.

Thanks!
Old 06-30-2019, 12:08 PM   #35
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Jim Falls , Wisconsin
I have sold and appraised real estate primarily in second home markets for 22 years. This is what I see. When younger families buy a second home they use when the kids are young (not sure if children are in your plan), but when the kids get to be teenagers they seldom use the second home until their kids are grown. So for about 5 to 10 years (depending upon size of family) they are seldom there. That's because when the kids get older they have all kinds of activities on weekends, etc. The next thing I see for those older is that there is upkeep on homes, property taxes, etc. People have talked about maintenance on an AS, but a second home wouldn't be any different and in fact may be worse; painting, cleaning, lawn mowing, etc. There's always something one way or the other. Maintenance is unavoidable. But what is the simplest? I don't have to cut the grass around my Airstream. Also this is what I've noticed. People rarely use their second homes much more than 4 weeks a year; unless it is the type of home where they live one place for 6 months and another for 6 months.

I have seen people however that use their campers and rent the same site all year. My son does this and they use it a lot as a weekend get away. Their 2 boys are young. But as they get older my son already sees them using it less. Now if he chooses to he could hitch up and go anywhere if he wanted, and then come back and put the camper there.

As far as staying in rented cabins etc. This is what my wife and I like about the AS; 1) Sleep in the same bed. 2) Eat our own food. 3) We know how it has been cleaned. 4) We have the familiarity of our surroundings.

Having said that winter travel is not advantageous nor recommended in an AS. So if you like to travel in the winter an AS may not be it. There are TT out there that are more winter friendly however. But remember a cabin may need more maintenance and upkeep in the winter; plowing, heating, etc. It never ends.

We primarily chose our AS because of our lifestyle with 5 grown children and 13 grandchildren. If we go to visit we like our own accommodations. The old saying after 3 days company smells like dead fish is true.

ALSO WE HATE MOTELS AND EATING IN RESTAURANTS.

But there are many airbnb's out there as well. We have used them in the past. Some have been really nice. Others not so much. Choice galore.
Daquenzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 12:19 PM   #36
3 Rivet Member

Seattle , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronyx View Post
sounds like your in the position for an Airstream. We bought a Flying Cloud 19 a couple years ago and love it. I personally wouldn’t buy a single axel unit again though. Instead, I would opt for a dual axel Flying Cloud.

Thanks for the feedback. Why wouldn’t you buy a single axel? Small interior space or something else?
Old 06-30-2019, 12:21 PM   #37
3 Rivet Member

Seattle , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by tojimmiller View Post
With the trailer, if you don’t like the neighborhood, just move.

That’s definitely a big advantage to the AS.
Old 06-30-2019, 12:23 PM   #38
3 Rivet Member

Seattle , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyguyscott View Post
Being still in your thirties, you are young!

So, with all the other good points made, I would pass on some good advice I got years ago from fellow Airstream owners who were now old and retired and had been most everywhere twice:

"Go forth, travel, see the world -- and do it while you're young!"

When I was in my thirties, I could do anything! Learn how to twist a wrench if you don't already -- it's fun and fulfilling. Traveling with a camper isn't exactly strenuous, but there is some lifting and crawling about involved. Do it while you can! In another 20-30 years, you will discover your body isn't as strong and flexible as it is today, and it will go by FAST, trust me.

Then, THEN, you can revisit that cabin idea! Yes, you can have your cake and eat it too, just be patient and go forth and explore while you can!

Yes exactly what we’ve been thinking more and more! — "Go forth, travel, see the world -- and do it while you're young!"
Old 07-04-2019, 05:42 PM   #39
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
Here, it is strictly affordability. The average "cottage/recreational" home is 500k and up.

Many, especially young families who are already struggling to pay the mortgage on their principle residence (which is double the cost of a recreational home) and long for a weekend escape, have no choice but a RV.
Old 07-06-2019, 12:36 PM   #40
3 Rivet Member

Seattle , Washington
We’ve looked at small cabins (600-800 sq ft) in the 100-125k range. So, for us there would be a difference of about +2x cost of an AS.