Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-26-2015, 11:42 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1985 27' Sovereign
mckinney , Texas
Brand New Owner of An Airstream

Not to be confused with Owner of a Brand New Airstream.
Well, now that the excitement has died down a notch, i want to re-introduce myself. Just bought an 85, Sovereign last week. Really good shape and had it checked out and all the major items work great.
Just needs seals all around and window seals and a goooood cleaning.

I cant wait to take it camping next weekend.. we hope to find some good people at the camp grounds as it will be our (me, hubby and 24 months old) first time camping in an airstream. We are sooo clueless yet sooo excited but we are learning as we go; and a big thanks to the airforum community. I have spent many a days reading on here and have learnt some valuable info.

In a couple of weeks, I will be re-doing part of the interior.. i want to redo the floor.. want to put some laminate and redo the cabinets and clean the inside. It is very sticky and color is very faded and looks brownish.

I will definitely peek in here as i work on it for some advice. I might do the easy work (is there easy work when re-doing an airstream) .. but I dont plan on doing the work myself.. I can probably clean the interior and attempt to remove cabinets and carpet and stain/re-do cabinets.. but that's all I can do.
For now.. we are looking for a close camp ground near Mckinney, TX.. just to start out and once we get comfortable we will venture out further.

Welcome. to me!.
Thanks
mkamanu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 11:49 AM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1985 27' Sovereign
mckinney , Texas
some pics..

mkamanu's Library | Photobucket

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkamanu View Post
Not to be confused with Owner of a Brand New Airstream.
Well, now that the excitement has died down a notch, i want to re-introduce myself. Just bought an 85, Sovereign last week. Really good shape and had it checked out and all the major items work great.
Just needs seals all around and window seals and a goooood cleaning.

I cant wait to take it camping next weekend.. we hope to find some good people at the camp grounds as it will be our (me, hubby and 24 months old) first time camping in an airstream. We are sooo clueless yet sooo excited but we are learning as we go; and a big thanks to the airforum community. I have spent many a days reading on here and have learnt some valuable info.

In a couple of weeks, I will be re-doing part of the interior.. i want to redo the floor.. want to put some laminate and redo the cabinets and clean the inside. It is very sticky and color is very faded and looks brownish.

I will definitely peek in here as i work on it for some advice. I might do the easy work (is there easy work when re-doing an airstream) .. but I dont plan on doing the work myself.. I can probably clean the interior and attempt to remove cabinets and carpet and stain/re-do cabinets.. but that's all I can do.
For now.. we are looking for a close camp ground near Mckinney, TX.. just to start out and once we get comfortable we will venture out further.

Welcome. to me!.
Thanks
Old 09-26-2015, 12:36 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Welcome! Nothing will compare to owning and enjoying your AS. You have your work cut out for you, don't you! Embrace the journey, have fun! I bought a 2015 BAMBI 16' Sport this year and I love it. Can't wait to get back out next year. I hope you and your young family have many wonderful trips in your future.
ColoradoLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 07:23 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
Hello from Colorado and welcome to Air Forums where all things Airstream are pretty much established, except for tow vehicles, hitches, and tires.

You and yours will like traveling in your Sovereign in the years to come. Vintage Airstream ownership is a hobby of work and costs, but really quite enjoyable. You will feel all accomplished as you complete projects, from a good cleaning, to installing a new water heater. Be prepared for disappointments when you find yet another problem, it's part of the game.

I think you will find the participants on Air Forums willing to answer your questions and give you loads of free advice!

Enjoy,

David
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 12:20 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Eugene , Oregon
How exciting! Congrats and enjoy all your journeys!
Meeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 12:28 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
I was going along looking at your pictures saying - wow this really looks pretty clean - especially the stovetop. And then I saw the tub. That's probably going to be a project, but first clean it up and check for leaks. If there are none, and it's fiberglass (not ABS plastic) you should be able to get a bathtub refinisher to come in and re-do it and make it look shiney.

Have you named your Airstream yet? Seeing as it has some male pattern baldness (upper clear coat failure) it might be a boy, but you'll have to let it speak to you and reveal it's identity.

Welcome to our happy little band.

My knowledge of Texas geography is pretty limited, but if you do a Google search you'll find that there are two Airstream Only RV parks there - and hopefully one is relatively close. That would be a great place to meet other people and get great advice and help.

Paula
Old 09-27-2015, 01:18 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2010 20' Flying Cloud
Hailey , Idaho
"welcome.....to me"!
I love that. May all your travels be this cheerful. jon
B00merang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 06:28 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1985 27' Sovereign
mckinney , Texas
Yeah, that bathroom gave me the shivers too!.
No name yet.. but waiting to see the outcome of our camping experience so we can decide.
Thanks !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post
I was going along looking at your pictures saying - wow this really looks pretty clean - especially the stovetop. And then I saw the tub. That's probably going to be a project, but first clean it up and check for leaks. If there are none, and it's fiberglass (not ABS plastic) you should be able to get a bathtub refinisher to come in and re-do it and make it look shiney.

Have you named your Airstream yet? Seeing as it has some male pattern baldness (upper clear coat failure) it might be a boy, but you'll have to let it speak to you and reveal it's identity.

Welcome to our happy little band.

My knowledge of Texas geography is pretty limited, but if you do a Google search you'll find that there are two Airstream Only RV parks there - and hopefully one is relatively close. That would be a great place to meet other people and get great advice and help.

Paula
Old 09-27-2015, 06:29 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1985 27' Sovereign
mckinney , Texas
Thank you all.. looking forward!
Old 09-27-2015, 07:40 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
Our 86 spent many a winter in Texas Airstream Harbor near the little town of Zavalla on Sam Rayburn lake. There may be 60 home sites there. Some folks rent their site for visitors like us. We were there about 3 years ago. The Airstreamers we met were very nice. Lots of fisher people as you might expect being on the lake. So yes, it would be a very interesting destination for you.

Minnesota has an Airstream only park also, and it is quite nice too. I really like the "wagon wheel" layout of the park. It offers lots of green space between home sites. There is a 9 hole golf course on the grounds. The landscaping is beautiful in my view, see photo.

So get your vintage Airstream ready and start exploring. It's lots of fun and very interesting. Good learning for your little one.

David
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	122_2224.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	534.2 KB
ID:	249173  
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 07:47 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2018 27' Globetrotter
Greensboro , North Carolina
Congratulations! It looks like you got quite a find. I hope you enjoy the adventure of making it your own!
NC Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 08:21 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1979 31' Sovereign
1950 22' Liner
Powhatan , Virginia
Congrats! Need to see pictures!
Proud to be Air #37137
Bowmans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 09:58 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2016 28' Pendleton
Currently Looking...
Scottsdale , Arizona
Hi from AZ. . . welcome to this crowd, and when you head West, look in on our 4CU club for a good time rally. . . regards, Craig
Old 09-27-2015, 11:14 PM   #14
Rivet Puller

2003 28' Safari S/O
Atlanta Burbs , Georgia
Congratulations on your new acquisition. The pictures you took will be a nice comparative set once you undertake personalization.

Some hints: A good rug/fabric cleaner is Folex to remove stains. I found Savogran TSP Substitute worked extremely well to get the grime off the interior surfaces. Both are non-toxic.

You will also benefit from the following thread entry:
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f420...ml#post1688855

You may enjoy watching a series of videos on YouTube detailing an Airstream restoration.
SeeMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 08:05 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

1985 27' Sovereign
mckinney , Texas
Thank you all for the posts.
Reading each and every detail given.
This is just the beginning of great adventures; I am obsessed with airstreams; just can't get enough of them.