Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-04-2019, 02:48 PM   #1

Denver , Colorado
Bathroom Smell

My wife and I are considering a Airstream Globetrotter. I have been told that the airstream toilet system will eventually cause a permanent "smell" similar to one finds in a boat bathroom. Is this a "wives tale"?
Are the current bathroom systems pretty good about eliminating the smell from the toilet and black water storage tank?
Lehman60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 02:53 PM   #2

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Greetings from the Florida Panhandle

Welcome to the Forums. We're glad to have you with us.

We have been Airstreaming for over thirteen years. We have spent over 2,000 nights of Airstream camping. We have had three Airstreams. We have never had any long term bathroom smell issue.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 03:01 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Lafayette , California
Airstreams use standard RV toilets, so they are no different than other RVs. The join between such toilets and the black water tank is sealed except when flushing or when the seal mechanism is deliberately held open. The blackwater tank is vented to the outside and the Airstream bathroom has an exhaust fan. So, under ordinary conditions with all equipment in good working order, there should not be any permanent odor.

We have never had a problem with bathroom odor in our 2002 Airstream since we bought it new.

Tim
Tim A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 03:23 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Who was the old wife that told you this?
Perhaps she didn't ad 4 ounces of CampaChem to her black tank after dumping.
Perhaps she didn't keep an inch or two of water in her toilet bowl.
Perhaps she only dumped once each camping season.
Perhaps....
Well, you get the idea.
Four Corners Unit WBCCI #5783
Alumaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 05:40 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Basically if you don’t make a ‘mess’ on the floor, the bathroom won’t smell of anything.

Our AS has a wet bath, and it stays very clean. A single shower, followed by squeegeeing the walls to get it dry, and it’s all good. We do use chemicals in the black tank, but most of the odor suppression is cleanliness, tank flushing, and proper roof vent maintenance.

Only time we have had any odor was after six weeks of camping before dumping about 1/4 of a black tank. Inadvertently had the bathroom vent running when someone flushed the toilet. Brief stench that dissipated very quickly.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 07:23 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2003 30' Classic
Edisto Island , South Carolina
Don’t forget to maintain a water seal in the lav & shower traps. You can get some odor from them if the traps dry out.
So 'em
Bumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 11:26 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2018 30' Classic
Jacksonville , Florida
The head on my boat didn't smell either. We cleaned it.

Don't run the exhaust fan and hold the flush valve open when the unit is closed up on AC. The fan will draw air down through the vent, through the tank, and into the bathroom.
Overstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 09:29 PM   #8
Journeyman

2016 25' International
Amherst , Massachusetts
If you use it the way it's intended, add deodorizer, and use the black flush every once in a while, you won't know it's there.

FWIW, I have spent a lot of time sitting and pondering the OPTIMUM flush, fan, wash, dry sequence for RV travel, and here it is:

-- Enter the bathroom. (I like to make an announcement at this point, to ensure that other trailer travelers are fully aware of the gravity of what's about to unfold.)
-- Make sure exhaust fan is off.
-- Do your business.
-- Close toilet lid.
-- Flush and then let the water fill the bowl back up (enough to cover the seal).
-- THEN, activate the exhaust fan.
-- Wash your hands. Be thorough!
-- Dry your hands.
-- Turn OFF exhaust fan.
-- Exit, making a followup announcement as to the success of the matter. (A standardized rating scale can be helpful since, if you're the type to jabber on, it avoids exposing your travel partners to unnecessarily colorful or overly descriptive adjectives.)

Some (hopefully useful) Airstream videos here:
https://www.youtube.com/c/journeymanvideos
thiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 02:43 PM   #9

Denver , Colorado
Thanks

Thanks everyone for the posts. We went ahead and put a deposit down on a Globetrotter. So we will be part of the AS team. Glad to hear that it should smell great as long as we follow the protocols.
Lehman60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2019, 05:12 AM   #10
Airstream Trippin

2020 33' Classic
Livingston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alumaholic View Post
Who was the old wife that told you this?
Perhaps she didn't ad 4 ounces of CampaChem to her black tank after dumping.
Perhaps she didn't keep an inch or two of water in her toilet bowl.
Perhaps she only dumped once each camping season.
Perhaps....
Well, you get the idea.

Your reply is 100% CORRECT! Just read the toilet manual and learn how to properly take care of toilet.
Gigler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2019, 06:25 AM   #11
.-. -...

2017 25' International
Niagara-on-the-Lake , ON Canada
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overstreet View Post
The head on my boat didn't smell either. We cleaned it.

Don't run the exhaust fan and hold the flush valve open when the unit is closed up on AC. The fan will draw air down through the vent, through the tank, and into the bathroom.
^^ This
Old 12-24-2019, 08:12 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
I pur my AS in 1976 Have never had long term smell, only smell briefly when using exhaust fan takes care of it, plus use chemical for rv.
featherbedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2019, 08:32 AM   #13
4 Rivet Member

1968 26' Overlander
CORDOVA , TN
It is easy to avoid the smell situation....don't create a smell situation in the first place, and it will never smell....We never do that in our Airstream ! There is always a bathhouse a few steps away for that !
Find a way to enjoy life and have fun, every day !
mkcurtiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2019, 08:50 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
Well, we live in our old Airstream (1986) half the year and I can’t imagine trotting off to use a public toilet several times a day (and night) so I keep my toilet clean, dump as necessary, flush periodically and I use a product called Campers Friend.

No smells. No problems.

When you are camping and hooked up to sewer you can leave the valve to the grey tank open if you like but leave the blank tank valve closed until you are ready to leave or the tank is full. If you leave the black tank valve open, the liquids drain away and the tank fills with malodorous, difficult to remove paper and organic residue. A full tank with lots of water is a happy tank and will drain quickly and completely when you need it to.
Dismissive cat
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2019, 08:27 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
If you have a black tank flush and, like mine, there is a vacuum breaker in line under the bathroom sink cabinet, the vent fan, fantastic fans, air conditioner or just driving down the road can suck air down the black tank vent, through the tank, into the black tank flush spray head, and out into the bathroom through the vacuum breaker. My bathroom never smelled until, when I was replacing the dump valves, I decided to pull and clean the stopped up tank flush spray head. The valve is supposed to let air into the pipe but not out. I took it out and took it apart but I couldn’t see anything obviously wrong with it.

Al
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote