Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-24-2015, 07:12 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2011 25' FB International
Anacortes , Washington
Attaching things to interior aluminum walls

We've made the decision to upgrade from a 23' Safari to a 25' International. We will be picking up the International in a couple of days. How do you attach anything to those aluminum walls? I'm thinking of lightweight things, such as calendars. Our 2006 Safari had those coarse fabric walls (don't know what the material is actually called), so using velcro to attach things was a breeze and did not leave any residue to be subsequently cleaned up. I'd love to hear from other International owners about the methods you've used to do some minor wall-decorating in your airstreams. THANKS!
lmgreenfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 07:16 AM   #2
ShinyPete

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Bushnell , Florida
3M Command products work great. They make all kinds of hooks, holders, and doo-dads. Wipe the skin clean with a little rubbing alcohol, and the Command Strips stick very well (and of course they will come off when needed). Have probably 20 of them in use in our "Pete", a Flying Cloud with bare skin interior.
ShinyPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 07:29 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
I think Command Strips are a safe bet. The interior aluminum has a coating like the exterior aluminum, somewhat delicate. Scratch it and it's open to filiform corrosion which spreads and is not pretty.

There's so little interior aluminum in ours that doesn't have a window, cabinet or built-ins on it we have only attached a clock to a laminate wood grain partition, with a Command Strip. They hold well.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 08:50 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Anacortes , Washington
Thanks to you both for the quick response. 3M Command Strips it is!
Old 10-24-2015, 08:59 AM   #5
Overland Adventurer

1991 34' Excella
2009 34' Panamerica
Telluride , Colorado
For heavier or permanent placement, small pieces of vhb tape work very well!
AtomicNo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 09:02 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2014 22' FB Sport
Barrie , Ontario
My wife says I should invest in 3M I have so many command products. Occasionally I find a surface they don't stick to well and then I just use the 3M outdoor fastening tape instead. The best thing about command is that if you are not happy they are easy to move. Refill kits are available and there are lots of different command products. I have even found some cool ones at a dollar store.
Lhunter59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 10:34 AM   #7
Home of Vortex tuning

2013 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Spearfish , South Dakota
Suction cups to hold light stuff that you may move frequently.
Old 10-24-2015, 10:42 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2009 28' International
Pacific Palisades , California
We use clear colored suction cups for our keys, right by the door, at a low height easily reachable from inside or outside. We use one for the AS keys, and one for the tow vehicle keys. Haven't lost keys in years!

We have a Weather Station from Peet Bros, with a very large readout mounted in an aluminum frame. This is anchored to the bulkhead wall of our 2010 Ocean Breeze with heavy duty velcro (not aluminum, but rather the same swirl finish material that you see on outdoor table tops). I'm confident that this would be removable with rubbing alcohol and elbow grease. I wax all the interior surfaces annually, including this plastic finish, and I'm sure that would take care of it as we often clean the same material with Windex from sprays and splashes from the cooktop.

In general, it's a really good idea to wax the interior aluminum at least once a year. I do the backsplash areas by the cooktop and kitchen sink, and also the bathroom sink, more often. Very little effort, and keeps it looking like new with the protection it affords.
gecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 12:29 PM   #9
WyoGal

2015 25' FB International
Laramie , Wyoming
Wax?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gecko View Post
We use clear colored suction cups for our keys, right by the door, at a low height easily reachable from inside or outside. We use one for the AS keys, and one for the tow vehicle keys. Haven't lost keys in years!

We have a Weather Station from Peet Bros, with a very large readout mounted in an aluminum frame. This is anchored to the bulkhead wall of our 2010 Ocean Breeze with heavy duty velcro (not aluminum, but rather the same swirl finish material that you see on outdoor table tops). I'm confident that this would be removable with rubbing alcohol and elbow grease. I wax all the interior surfaces annually, including this plastic finish, and I'm sure that would take care of it as we often clean the same material with Windex from sprays and splashes from the cooktop.

In general, it's a really good idea to wax the interior aluminum at least once a year. I do the backsplash areas by the cooktop and kitchen sink, and also the bathroom sink, more often. Very little effort, and keeps it looking like new with the protection it affords.
What kind/application is used? Today
Evelyn Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 01:36 PM   #10
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up 3m.....

I also use the 3M VHB double sided for the 'permanent' applications.

But I found this stuff a couple years ago, it makes the 'permanent' removable......amazing what it will hold, plus with the Classic 'mouse fur' I have plenty of location options.

Bob
Old 10-24-2015, 02:45 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

Anacortes , Washington
Red face Thanks for the waxing tip! Really good to know!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gecko View Post
I like the idea of suction cups and am kicking myself for not thinking of that myself! We've always attached an outdoor thermometer to the window with a suction cup so it could be read from inside, so of course it can be used for other purposes! Duh... I think i was so worried about marring the new baby in any way that I left common sense aside.

Also, thank you for the suggestion re: annual waxing of the interior; this is good to know!
Old 10-24-2015, 02:51 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

Anacortes , Washington
Velcro for Mouse Fur

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
I also use the 3M VHB double sided for the 'permanent' applications.

But I found this stuff a couple years ago, it makes the 'permanent' removable......amazing what it will hold, plus with the Classic 'mouse fur' I have plenty of location options.

Bob
Velcro is amazing for use on mouse-fur walls; i sewed several special envelope-type organizers with various pockets for different purposes and the heavy duty velcro was easy and held extremely well on the baby we will soon be giving up. Had one on each side of the couch to hold his-n-hers reading materials, notes, pens, the occasional brimmed cap; had one back by the bed that held tissues and had pockets for storing glasses, iPhones, other necessaries.
Old 10-24-2015, 07:48 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2009 28' International
Pacific Palisades , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evelyn Hill View Post
What kind/application is used? Today
Hi Evelyn--

McGuiar's or Mother's high end auto liquid wax. Rub it on, let dry, polish it off with dry terry cloth. Exactly the way you would wax the clear coat on a high end auto. We also use this for waxing the exterior.

Works great for laminate finishes like counter top, dinette and cabinets, too.
gecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 09:44 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Bend , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmgreenfield View Post
We've always attached an outdoor thermometer to the window with a suction cup so it could be read from inside
GENIUS! Thank you for this, I am going to do the same tomorrow!!!
Old 12-12-2015, 11:39 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

2012 28' International
Antioch , SF Bay Area
I love those Command hooks too!! I wanted to jazz up our Serenity with a bit of mid mod "artwork" and I found some awesome wall decals that stick to the aluminum and the laminate on the walls..now our trailer has totally removable art!

https://www.facebook.com/starlettediary
Suzzeee is offline   Reply With Quote