Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-25-2016, 08:29 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2015 30' FB FC Bunk
Ayer , Massachusetts
Anyone book an extra night so you can leave late in the day?

Subject is pretty self explanatory...I find myself booking an extra night so I can leave in the evening vs. at checkout time. Curious if I am the only one doing that.
Ted S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 08:31 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Just the opposite I usually stay an extra night so I can leave bright and early the next morning. I do not drive at night if I can avoid it.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 08:41 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 24
hartselle , Alabama
Always plan my leave for early am. Generally have everything stowed the night before ready to go first thing.
1973Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 09:01 PM   #4
CRH
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
xxxxx , xxxxxx
I usually ask if I can check out late. I have never been denied. I have only asked on Sundays and weekdays. I wouldn't ask on a Friday or Saturday.
CRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 09:24 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
I always thought it was kind of crazy the way people seemed to be so anxious to hitch up and leave their camp sites on Sunday morning. Before I retired, every day off was a precious commodity, not to be waisted.
I would pay for Sunday night, have a relaxing day by the campfire, and maybe catch a meal at a local, nearly empty, restaurant. Then we would hitch up, and drive home on roads nearly free from traffic.
You bet I payed for one more night!
PDXRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 09:45 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2015 30' FB FC Bunk
Ayer , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXRick View Post
I always thought it was kind of crazy the way people seemed to be so anxious to hitch up and leave their camp sites on Sunday morning. Before I retired, every day off was a precious commodity, not to be waisted.
I would pay for Sunday night, have a relaxing day by the campfire, and maybe catch a meal at a local, nearly empty, restaurant. Then we would hitch up, and drive home on roads nearly free from traffic.
You bet I payed for one more night!
Exactly, thank you.
Ted S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 09:59 PM   #7
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
No, never done that. Have stayed an extra day to travel when there is less traffic. Have left at checkout to miss the morning commute traffic. Guess we all do what puts a smile on our face.

Travel Safe. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 10:05 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Have stayed over because of severe weather. Usually pull out 15 minutes before checkout time. Not early risers.

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 10:19 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted S. View Post
Subject is pretty self explanatory...I find myself booking an extra night so I can leave in the evening vs. at checkout time. Curious if I am the only one doing that.
Haven't done it yet but will do so when the opportunity arises, particularly if we're camping fairly locally.

I've often sat out at 8.30am on a Sunday, having a leisurely breakfast and watching people breaking camp and dashing off; on weekend trips we always stay right up to the check out time. I know some people have distances to travel but all that haste does seem a bit unnecessary when you're camping.

"You can't tow that with that!"

https://sites.google.com/view/towedhaul/home
MrUKToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 12:10 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2008 27' International FB
Petaluma , California
We book an extra night all the time. Sometimes the Rangers offer a refund when we leave but I tell them we plan it that way so we can take our time packing up and at the dump station.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums

- Brad
SuperTrouper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 11:09 AM   #11
4 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
Spartanburg , South Carolina
Quote:
If you find yourself down south, try Palmetto Cove RV Park in Cleveland, SC. No specific check out time as long as you are gone by the time the host closes up for the night.

This is a non profit membership park run by volunteers and a board of directors who are elected by fellow members.
Jacob D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 11:19 AM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2007 23' International CCD
vero beach , Florida
Quote:
I'm doing that exact thing right now in the Florida Keys. Paid for Sunday night so I can leave wnener I like. Works for us.
sherrylynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 11:26 AM   #13
rvb
4 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy 28
Euless , Texas
Private campgrounds tend to have an 11:00am checkout time. Some state parks it's 2pm. I ask if I can leave late and tell them the time and the response varies depending on the conditions and whether it is a private campground or a state park. If they are not full or busy it is usually ok to stay. I have been asked to disconnect from the power and have also been allowed to move to a parking area if they are full.
rvb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 11:34 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2016 28' Pendleton
terre haute , Indiana
I just did it a couple of weeks ago. We were in a great place and check out was 10 or 11. It was a national park with no reservations. We didn't have far to go and had reservations at our destination. Wanted to take a nice hike before pulling out. Ended up staying another 4-5 hours. Just as I was pulling out someone was driving through the campground looking for a campsite and was over joyed to have a site and have it paid for.
jcwall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 11:37 AM   #15
3 Rivet Member

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Franklin Park , Illinois
Pay extra

I once paid for a whole week and just stayed 2 weekends...
This was at a state park. First weekend we stayed at the campground Monday through Friday we went back home went to work came back the next weekend campground was about 150 miles from that from Our house...
State park fee is $25 sooo 25 x 5 (unused days) = $125
My 345 gets 8MPG sooo
300 mile round trip divided by 8 miles per gallon
= 35 gallons
35gallons x $4 a gallon = $140
It's simple math, not to mention the ware and tear on the Motorhome 👍
Grosspoluter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 11:48 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
GRAND CANYON , Arizona
Quote:
"I always thought it was kind of crazy the way people seemed to be so anxious to hitch up and leave their camp sites on Sunday morning."

"...
but all that haste does seem a bit unnecessary when you're camping."
Why be critical or judgmental about the time OTHERS choose to leave? For some, the journey is the adventure. Camping is the necessary respite between travel. For others, travel is the necessary "Work" part of camping and they like to stay put as long as possible. It is the same reason they print "MENUS" for restaurants. Do you criticize the guy in the booth next to you because he ordered soup when you wanted a sandwich?
http://www.bc.edu/clubs/uic/The%20Station.html
RadioGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 12:02 PM   #17

1977 25' Tradewind
Escondido , California
It's a great idea...We do it all the time also it's well worth it, we have a leisurely lunch then can start packing up and take our time and no wait at the dump station usually plan on getting home about dinner time.
timahoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 01:01 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Kansas City , Missouri
What about booking an extra night on the front end so you can arrive really early on Saturday morning? We ran into that situation in October. Sunset is early then.

We knew we could not leave work early on Friday due to necessary business late in the day.

We would never purposefully tow and arrive in the dark, especially on 2 lane roads, in the country, at an unfamiliar campground and with the added issue of deer being so plentiful.

So we paid for Friday night so that we could arrive early on Saturday morning, and not have to wait until after 2-3 pm to set up if the site was still occupied.

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 02:11 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
Being retired I find no need to rush leaving a campground so I seldom leave on a Sunday or a holiday. It allows me to pack up at a leisurely pace and also I do not have to fight lines at the dump out stations. If traveling far like 300 or more miles I do like to leave early in the AM
urnmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 10:58 AM   #20
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Taos , New Mexico
I would just ask if you can stay later - promise to clean up your campsite so they don't have to do extra work. Otherwise they also may let you park your rig on-site for free. Most places totally understand traveler's schedules. But - hey if you want to pay for another night then go right ahead. I've had to lose reservation fees due to changes in route or schedule which is kind of a similar situation
kdickinson is offline   Reply With Quote