Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-19-2024, 08:55 PM   #1

Currently Looking...
napa , California
Am I Too Old For This

So, I am a newbie, aged 70+, did a lot of travel in my youth but now am trying to retire (not doing that very well) and am considering the purchase of an AS- used of course, but very nice- 22' International 2003 CCD. Am I out of my mind or is this something I can and should do? I am healthy - no meds and no physical issues- but I am not sure if this is a good idea or not. Not exactly a mid-life crisis since mid-life too is in the rear-view mirror, hopefully not that far away though. I want to re-visit the places I saw when I was younger, and then other places too.
Please convince me with thoughts one way or the other. I really do like AS's but has this boat (RV) sailed?
Thanks
johnmcgill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2024, 09:18 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Longmont , Colorado
Hello John, welcome to AirForums! We are glad to have you with us.

There are plenty of people who continue RVing through their seventies. Starting at that age is less common, but if you are physically and mentally fit you can do it.

At any age, you also need to have a positive spirit and can-do attitude--you will encounter problems and setbacks (leaks, electrical gremlins, broken appliances...). You need to be adaptable and flexible. Being able to debug and fix some problems as a do-it-yourselfer will help a lot. RV repair businesses often have a long backlog, and their competency varies.
SSquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2024, 09:22 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 27' Safari FB SE
NW Oregon in a nice spot , Oregon
Wholly smokes are you going to get replies....
So me first: Your mindset of questions means you are totally capable. Age...You still have 5-10 years depending on health issues. I have health issues and am planning towing until 75.

Your questioning has me wondering why you are asking. I would expect the more important question to be is this a solid trailer. Not can I do it?
So maybe a help for is this a reasonable trailer? It appears from the human perspective you could be solid so it becomes one of a used trailer worth it?

I would say go for it from your post. I am sure you will get a plethora of opinions in short time span.

The best to you. I think you should dive and go.
Bob
bweybright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2024, 09:34 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Davenport , Iowa
before you decide, look at 25 footers. that extra width makes all the difference. I was just in 3 23 foot and too narrow. One of the owners is now regretting their choice.
Airtandem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2024, 09:50 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2021 Interstate 24GL
, California
Welcome and Congrats.
I look at it from perspectives of second guesses. Go buy it
Do it. In 1 year, 3 years, 5 years if it’s not your thing perfect

Move on to the next thing
Stay well n safe go explore.
Old 06-19-2024, 10:02 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnmcgill View Post
So, I am a newbie, aged 70+, did a lot of travel in my youth but now am trying to retire (not doing that very well) and am considering the purchase of an AS- used of course, but very nice- 22' International 2003 CCD. Am I out of my mind or is this something I can and should do? I am healthy - no meds and no physical issues- but I am not sure if this is a good idea or not. Not exactly a mid-life crisis since mid-life too is in the rear-view mirror, hopefully not that far away though. I want to re-visit the places I saw when I was younger, and then other places too.
Please convince me with thoughts one way or the other. I really do like AS's but has this boat (RV) sailed?
Thanks
Hi, what is your driving ability especially while towing? Are you still able to lift a 55 lb. hitch and install it into the receiver? And can you handle some small fixes? Forget the age, that's just a number.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2024, 10:32 PM   #7

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
I think the answer is "Yes, you can do this, but how much you'll enjoy which option depends."

How much history do you have with towing? What's your travel style like?

I grew up on a farm, I was towing trailers around well before I had a driver's license. Even so, I definitely notice that towing safely leads to a higher workload on the driver than driving a single vehicle, even something like a 24' van. 450 miles towing the Flying Cloud with a capable truck feels like a really long day, 350 is a much nicer one. If you have zero towing experience and/or like to do long, high-mileage days, you might like something like an Interstate or Rangeline.

It's a trade-off... they're easier to drive around, a used one does cost a whole lot more than a good trailer plus a good tow vehicle, and it's easier to "stealth camp" for a night somewhere if you're not running a 40-foo-long rig.

The downside of the tradeoff is that you're hauling the camper with you everywhere you drive on your trip (some people mitigate this with electric bicycles, etc.) and if something happens to the drivetrain, your living quarters may be stuck inside a mechanic's shop and put you in a hotel. When a trailer gets old, if it's well-maintained you can just get a newer tow vehicle and roll on (my first airstream was 37 years old the day I got it, and we camped in it for 6 years and sold it for more than I paid for it.) When a B-van gets old, it's an old van. If you're looking at 7 or 10 years, this may be a non-issue.

Basically, what you're looking at is an expensive proposition with lots of return on the investment, but it's better to get it close to right the first time. Don't OVER think it, but don't jump in without some thought. It seems you've found a nice used trailer, and a CCD in good shape is an EASY thing to sell (there's a bit of a cult following) so if you're confident about the towing and/or already have a tow vehicle, give it a shot! I'm way closer to 60 than 50 these days, and I feel like unless I get a bad surprise I've got 20 years of road trips left in the tank!

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2024, 10:32 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2024 27' Globetrotter
BEND , Oregon
John, I'm 80 have a 27 ' Globetrotter, I live in Bend Oregon. I'm a newbie too. Airstreams are easy to tow but you have to think about how long you are and think ahead about lane changes, on and off freeways and stuff like that. Are you single? Because 2 drivers is stressful! HAHA! Enjoy! Make sure that the Airstream you are looking at is really the one you want! If you see an AS and people around go ask their opinion.....just more information!! Good luck.
call-me-al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2024, 04:49 AM   #9
Site Team

2009 25' FB International
2018 27' Globetrotter
Hanover , Pennsylvania
Should you do it? My recommendation is yes, yes, yes! Think of all the good times you will have!

When you can't, or don't feel comfortable doing it anymore, then you can stop.
Hans627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2024, 05:04 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2019 30' International
Pennsylvania , Pennsylvania
There is a lot that comes with RV'ing, and huge differences between towing, and driving an RV.

I'm going to say I'd consider a nice Class B. I'm 64, towing an Airstream. It's no problem for a guy at 70 to do the same. We stick with the Airstream because we kind of live in it over winter, at 30 feet, it has decent room for my wife and me. I think one would be wise to realize there is a learning curve to towing, tow vehicle size, hitch setup, driving, backing up, etc.

The basic stuff to haul for 'camping' in travel trailers vs. class A,B, or C driveables, stays pretty much the same, power cord, water hose, sewer hose, and other items one might need for camp setup.

Consider usage. If I have a family of 4, or have intentions of staying long periods in the RV, then a trailer might be a better option. But if I'm more in to travel, and having some comforts while 'camping', or staying a night or a few in various locations, then a Class B makes sense....to me.

Long periods of camping can be claustrophobic in a class B. Plus, waste tank size, and freshwater tank size come in to play if you're not hooked up to water/sewer. However, many class B's have generators, which I think would be real nice when pulled over while traveling, to run the A/C if I'm taking a nap, or to operate other things, like the microwave, etc. Airstreams, for the most part, do not have generators on board.

Finally, having a couple solar panels on board is real nice. RV batteries run all the 12 volt stuff, and solar helps to keep 'em charged when out and about.

2017 Ford CCSB F250 XLT 6.2L Gas 4x4 4:30 rear Leer Topper Ruby Red
2019 International Serenity 30 Rear Twin
majorairhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2024, 05:20 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2015 30' Classic
2023 25' International
Houston , Texas
if not now, when?

from your profile, looks like you’ve been thinking about this since 2018, sounds like to me all you need is a little push

3OnOurWay has it right “if it’s not your thing move on to the next”

this is a no brainer

again, if not now, when?

Welcome, and we look forward to your future posts, please keep us updated on your Airstream adventures.
veratipton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2024, 05:33 AM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2000 25' Safari
2007 27' Safari FB SE
1995 25' Excella
Woodbine , Georgia
I am 77. What's the alternative to living your life as you choose?
gamakai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2024, 05:37 AM   #13
Just an old timer...

2020 23' Globetrotter
Tipton , Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airtandem View Post
before you decide, look at 25 footers. that extra width makes all the difference. I was just in 3 23 foot and too narrow. One of the owners is now regretting their choice.
One of the OTHER 23' owners is quite pleased with THEIR choice, Mike! There's quite a difference between towng a widebody 25' and a narrow body 23' and not much difference in liveability, unless you stay out in it for weeks at a time. We're planning a month out with our 23' GT starting Saturday. It really just depends on how you use the trailer.

Quite frankly, if you're going to do a 25', you might as well do the 27' for the additional room. If we were going to get a bigger tow vehicle, that'd have been our choice.

AIR 2053 Current: 2020 Globetrotter 23FBQ

Airstreams Emeritus:
1953 Flying Cloud, 1957 Overlander, 1961 Bambi, 1970 Safari Special, 1978 Argosy Minuet, 1985 325 Moho, 1994 Limited 34' Two-door, 1994 B190 "B-Van," 2004 Interstate T1N
85MH325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2024, 05:48 AM   #14
Just an old timer...

2020 23' Globetrotter
Tipton , Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnmcgill View Post
So, I am a newbie, aged 70+, did a lot of travel in my youth but now am trying to retire (not doing that very well) and am considering the purchase of an AS- used of course, but very nice- 22' International 2003 CCD. Am I out of my mind or is this something I can and should do?
Thanks
We can all give you advice 'til we're blue in the face, but the bottom line is that you won't know if this is a lifestyle choice for you until you do it. There's not much opportunity to "dip your toe to test the waters;" you either decide you're going to try it or you're not.

I'm 69 and been towing a travel trailer or driving a motorhome (or a sailboat) since I was 25. The skills are easy to learn with practice, and while trailering can be moderately physically demanding (hitching and unhitching, in and out of the tow car, loading and unloading, etc.) my then-87 year old father did it up until six months before he passed away. I know/have known many active Airstreamers in their mid-80s before they finally decided it was too much. We just bought our 2020 Globetrotter 23' FBQ in March, and I intend to keep it until we don't want to or can't travel any longer... hopefully at least another good ten or fifteen years.

So, if you're curious, give it a shot. Do your homework, buy a tow vehicle and a trailer and get out there and live! One of the great things about Airstreams is that if you decide after some time that it's not for you, your trailer will return almost all of your investment and be relatively easy to sell as the demand is great. You won't lose much on resale, so an Airstream can also be a sound place to warehouse some cash for as long as you choose to own it.

Good luck!

AIR 2053 Current: 2020 Globetrotter 23FBQ

Airstreams Emeritus:
1953 Flying Cloud, 1957 Overlander, 1961 Bambi, 1970 Safari Special, 1978 Argosy Minuet, 1985 325 Moho, 1994 Limited 34' Two-door, 1994 B190 "B-Van," 2004 Interstate T1N
85MH325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2024, 06:23 AM   #15
4 Rivet Member

2020 25' Globetrotter
Hillsdale , New York
I try to avoid doing things I will regret.

That goes for regretting things not done as well.

My vote is yes....

SPP
SlowPokePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2024, 06:25 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2007 16' International CCD
Vintage Kin Owner
Somewhere , Colorado
You might find this thread from earlier this year helpful to your question: https://www.airforums.com/forums/f48...or-249135.html

As I said in that conversation, I think smaller is easier in many ways. It certainly has been for us. The 22’ is small-ish, so maybe not a big difference to go smaller, but unless you feel you “need” a larger trailer it may be best to resist the bigger is better thinking.
field & stream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2024, 06:32 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
No, you are not too old for it. Just have to decide if it is what you want to do. I loved going on the caravans.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2024, 06:33 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by gamakai View Post
I am 77. What's the alternative to living your life as you choose?
I'm 79 going on 35.
I went RVing after many years of sailing.
I need something to keep me young(er)
There's too many beautiful places in the US that need exploring.
I wish I'd have done it 30 years ago.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2024, 08:27 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2018 16' Sport
Charlotte , Vermont
Go for it! What is there to lose? Coming from a now 63 y.o scrawny but strong woman who knew nothing, absolutely nothing, about batteries, plumbing, winterizing, maintenance, and numerous other things Airstream, though I did have experience hitching and towing, or even exactly where I would go once I got one. The "big trip" is still on my horizon, but I have really enjoyed exploring closer to home, meeting people, learning about areas as well as all things Airstream, and conversations here on the Forum, in the nearly 7 (yikes!) years that I have owned Bramble.

Kim
Charlotte, VT
2010 F-150, 5.4l, V8, 3.55; Bramble: 2018 Bambi Sport 16
farafield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2024, 08:45 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2006 22' International CCD
1957 26' Overlander
Plymouth , Minnesota
Hi. I didn’t read all your reply’s yet but I have to say I love my 22’ CCD!!!!!! Mine is a 2006 and I bought it new. Have the trailer inspected. If it’s solid and in repair it’s a great trailer. Read all you can on here about the trailer. Some have had problems. I have. And I love the trailer!!!!!!! Have Fun.
BradS is offline   Reply With Quote