Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-15-2018, 11:17 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Livingston , Texas
Smile Airstream wannabees

Hello, my first post.
We have fallen for the Classic 33 with the queen bed.
We are working towards purchasing an AS, it will be 3 to 5 years before we can. so I have a couple of questions to start with.
Does AS have any plans in the future to install a washing machine? Im sure one can be installed after market, taking into account weight, and where etc. So now you know I'm a glamper, not a camper. The other question I have is, can the microwave be moved, or are there future plans to reposition it
I don't bend very well and the lower placement of the microwave is a problem for me, plus I get dizzy bending over plus looking sideways and no the knees won't bend that much either.
I have a couple more question, but I'll ask them later.
We live full time in our 2014 Heartland Landmark, not many steps (four to get in and three up to the bedroom and bathroom) but they are getting too many for me and I am wanting to downsize also.
Karen Bristol.
TheBristols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 07:53 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
Hello from Colorado: Welcome to the Air Forums. You have your eyes on the top of the line Airstream. I would love one too!

As you well know, the Airstream is quite a bit smaller than the Heartland Landmark. I'd recommend you visit your local dealer and just sit in one and then try moving around in it.

When you are ready to pull the trigger, it might be that Airstream can customize your trailer to your liking. I've never seen an Airstream with a RV washer/dryer in it, but I bet it could be done. You would likely loose some space somewhere else. And microwave locations can also be custom. Yep, it is quite a bit extra to get a custom built Airstream, but I've heard tales of it being done. We'll see if anyone else has more direct experience than I.

David
WBCCI #8607 VAC Region 11
KnowledgeBase trailer renovation threads: 69 Globetrotter, 76 Sovereign, 75 Overlander, 66 Trade Wind Such fun !
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 08:15 PM   #3
Reads a lot

2017 30' Classic
Titusville , Florida
I would also highly recommend sitting in the model you think you want. Go through the motions of getting dressed, cooking, cleaning, etc. and before you actually purchase one read all the threads and posts regarding that particular model. It appears you are not new to RV life so you know there may be quality issues. Airstreams are not 100% prefect, the more you research the better you wil be when it comes time to buy. Are you planning full-timing? How handy are you? How far away are you from the closest 5 rivet dealer or service center? Not just any ol RV repair shop can or will work on Airstreams.
The good news is that you found this forum where you can learn all about Airstreams before you buy. There is a wealth of information here so please make yourself at home and hopefully in a few years when you are ready you will really know all about Airstream ownership. I don’t mean to dash your dreams Airstream glamping....I love my Classic 30 but just understand that things don’t go great all the time.

She Believed She Could so She Did.
kendrick.l.j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 08:17 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2017 22' Sport
Lancaster , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBristols View Post
Hello, my first post.
The other question I have is, can the microwave be moved, or are there future plans to reposition it

Karen Bristol.
Hi, Karen.

I have a 22 sport and the microwave is also low, under the cooker. I'm short so it's probably less of an issue for me but I agree that the traditional microwave, mounted low, is a pain.

On the other hand, the higher/undercounter mounted ones are unattractive (IMO) and impact the openness that I love about the 22 sport. I definitely noticed that in the bazillion trailers we looked at when we were deciding what to buy.

Not sure if it would fit or be a good solution for you but we have a Bosch microwave drawer in our home kitchen. It fits low so would you could keep the same location for the microwave. Having the drawer type would mean you don't have to bend over a bunch... It actually is easier for me to use than a wall or upper cabinet mounted unit. Its also easier for my mom who is 75 because she doesn't have the strength to lift heavy things from overhead with her hands. Hope that helps.

https://www.bosch-home.com/us/produc...oaAqRdEALw_wcB
mammothmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 08:24 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Livingston , Texas
Thank you David. We have been to a dealer and checked out a few different models, the Classic is something else! The only thing holding us back is the almighty dollar LOL. Thats why we have to wait. It will be interesting to see what new and exciting things happen between now and when we can afford to. Hoping we can get into one of this years as a used unit in 3 years time.
Yes a Landmark is a beast, and very easy to live in, but my joints don't like all the steps, of course if I knew I could downsize to an AS back then, I think we would be trading up to a Classic 33, but its a process.
Karen
Old 06-15-2018, 08:28 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Livingston , Texas
great info, I will look into that, that would certainly work for me. Thank you so much Mammothmama
Old 06-15-2018, 10:22 PM   #7

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Greetings from the Florida Panhandle

Welcome to the Forums. We're glad to have you with us. You are looking at the top of the Airstream line. Washer/dryer? I do not know. Good luck in your pursuit.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 03:35 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Livingston , Texas
Thanks Moosetags, its all a work in progress... in my head.
Being new to this forum I have to forgive myself :>) I have just discovered the AS Model specific threads..duh !! so I am taking my questions over there, and of course doing a bun
ch of reading LOL
Old 06-17-2018, 09:26 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

1964 22' Safari
1993 25' Excella
Flagler Beach , Florida
good luck in ur search......a/s are great !
AFTER TAXES is offline   Reply With Quote