Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-08-2022, 02:54 PM   #21
4 Rivet Member

2014 25' Flying Cloud
1987 29' Sovereign
1978 31' Sovereign
Tampa Bay , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis C View Post
I think you’ll find that Class A rigs aren’t all the same, just as travel trailers aren’t all the same. There are subtle differences that can make or break the overall experience. We chose a Newmar coach for many of the reasons that you mentioned above. The smaller Newmars like ours are built on a Freightliner chassis with a feature called V-Ride. This particular feature produces greatly improved lateral stability, making the coach less susceptible to crosswinds or uneven road conditions. Newmars also have a unique feature called Comfort Drive. It’s a computerized, electronic system that automatically centers the coach, helping to offset crosswinds, crowned roads, uneven roads, etc. It’s adjustable by the driver, and like V-Ride it makes a big difference.

Our coach has a great sound system with Bluetooth connectivity, and I have no complaints. We have the Freightliner Smart Wheel steering wheel with controls for lights, wipers, cruise control, etc.

I rarely drive more than six hours in a day, but I have done seven hours in one day very comfortably. I think the biggest downside to our Class A is probably visibility in dark conditions. It’s rare that we drive in the dark, but the headlights used in the big Class A rigs leave lots to be desired. A modern pickup truck towing an Airstream will have much better lighting performance than a Class A. Hopefully the Class A market will catch up soon.

Again, I see and respect your point, but not all Class A rigs are the same.
Good info, thanks.

"The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page.” – St. Augustine
369goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2022, 04:25 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by PC Conner View Post
The dash AC, which was recently charged, did not cool the cab area. Had to run the generator to use the roof AC units while driving. Used the windshield fans, tried windows open, etc. The large windshield is a heat capture device.
Thanks for reminding me. I had the same problem, especially driving west when the afternoon sun is baking the front. The dash A/C powerful, but not for the entire coach, so I considered a thick curtain right behind the front seats but because of the slides, I couldn't make it work without ugly engineering.
Then because the AC compressor is in the back, but the cold air is needed in the front, AND mine sat for long periods, the freon leaked out. (Prolly not freon, but) So every year before my big summer trip, it would be a $1000 repair bill to get the thing working. I think everyone has this problem.
Motorhomes don't like sitting. I once paid CAT $65 for a 1' hydraulic hose.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2022, 05:52 PM   #23
3 Rivet Member

2020 27' Globetrotter
2017 30' International
Sun City , Arizona
Quote:
It's interesting for me to hear your thoughts and perspective. We just sold our Airstream after three seasons and bought a Newmar 37' diesel pusher. At this point, we've only got about 1,000 miles of driving experience in the Newmar and 4 nights in it.
We're all duly impressed.
Escape_Plan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2022, 06:26 PM   #24
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Evergreen , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Escape_Plan View Post
Well thanks, but we’re not trying to impress anybody. Just trying to enjoy life!

Past:
Airstream International Serenity 23FB
Newmar Ventana 3715
Dennis C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2022, 08:03 AM   #25
Superannuated Member

2001 19' Bambi
Beaver Lake , Arkansas
Another perspective on AS trailer vs Motorhome: Mrs. and I are not full timers, just occasional travelers who prefer to bring our own accomodations. We have had several RVs, from a 1956 I-H Metro van to a 2 axle Cameo 18ft. lightweight TT to our present Bambi19. Always had the smallest rig around for wife and me + maybe a small dog. Our previous rig was a '95 Coachmen motorhome on an E-250 chassis. Rode smooth as any car, had plenty of power and enough room for us. It was rather large for driving into town, etc. But it was a truck, with an engine to maintain and insurance & tags to renew annually. It cost $$ every month it sat in the barn. The AS does everything the Coachmen did with more interior room. We have the TV (Expedition w/5.4L) to drive when AS is in camp. And if we are not using the AS, it sits patiently in the barn with no ongoing cost. So it is a better fit for our intermittent camping use.
Aironius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2022, 12:49 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Escape_Plan View Post
Usually threads don't go off the rails until post #50.
Old 12-10-2022, 03:06 PM   #27
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Evergreen , Colorado
I’d be happy to talk about payload limits or towing if that would help…

Past:
Newmar Ventana 3715
Old 12-10-2022, 03:41 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2007 16' International CCD
Vintage Kin Owner
Somewhere , Colorado
I am duly impressed with Dennis C’s patience and diplomatic skills.
field & stream is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2022, 06:46 PM   #29
Rivet Master

North AL , Alabama
I'd be dually impressed, but my truck only has single rear wheels.
Tyler2you is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2022, 07:02 PM   #30
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Evergreen , Colorado
It is duly noted that you would be dually impressed.

Past:
Newmar Ventana 3715
Old 12-10-2022, 08:02 PM   #31
4 Rivet Member

Duly Noted...

For the last 20 years we have enjoyed our 25' Excella.

On our wishlist is a Phoenix Cruiser 28' and toad. This Super C is on an F450 extended chassis and does not have an over-the-cab (potentially leaking) bed.

On the plus side, I understand it's like driving a bigger pickup truck and has more modest maintenance issues. Tires are more reasonable for instance.

I don't have personal experience with a super C, and think from many posts on their forum, it is an excellent compromise between the Class A's and the A/S's.

What are your thoughts?
Sav'h Steve is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2022, 11:48 PM   #32
Site Team

1994 25' Excella
Waukesha , Wisconsin
For many of the same reasons as already mentioned, about a year and a half ago we downsized from a 35-foot 1974 vintage bus conversion to a 1994 Excella 25-ft trailer. The bus was great, with a factory conversion and only about 50,000 miles, but the maintenance combined with driving a 4-speed double clutch Spicer was just getting to be too much.

We find that the Excella has about the same usable interior space as the bus, but we do miss the underneath storage bays and the 90-gallon fresh/waste tanks.

Plus for us is also having a vehicle to drive around once we get set up at camp, since we never pulled a toad with the bus.

I can see reasons for going both ways - a motor home and an Airstream each have their pros and cons. But for us the switch has made travel more relaxing and enjoyable (and cheaper).
1999 Suburban LS 2500 w/7.4L V8
1974 GMC 4108a - Custom Coach Land Cruiser (Sold)
richard5933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2022, 08:04 AM   #33
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sav'h Steve View Post
For the last 20 years we have enjoyed our 25' Excella.

On our wishlist is a Phoenix Cruiser 28' and toad. This Super C is on an F450 extended chassis and does not have an over-the-cab (potentially leaking) bed.

On the plus side, I understand it's like driving a bigger pickup truck and has more modest maintenance issues. Tires are more reasonable for instance.

I don't have personal experience with a super C, and think from many posts on their forum, it is an excellent compromise between the Class A's and the A/S's.

What are your thoughts?
I'm not sure that qualifies as a "Super C" that we see on Freightliner chassis and big diesel engines? But...maybe. I camped next to a guy last summer in West Yellowstone...had the "big Kahuna" Class C with Freightliner...said it ran him $800K...he also had every toy you can imagine with him...off road Jeep Rincon with oversized off road tires, 2 kayaks, ATV, E-bikes, Starlink...(did I leave out something?) He even had a mobile pumping company come to empty his black/gray tanks while there...what service, right?

As we "were" considering similar move to a Class A or something...reading this thread actually helped convince us the money and hassle of a big rig Class A or C or Super C for us doesn't sound as appealing as we thought. Yesterday visiting a local RV dealer to fill the propane tanks, I was telling him we were considering going from the AS to one of the above mentioned "mobile palaces". He said, he has worked for that dealership now for 15 years and has camped/traveled with everything they sell, including TT's, 5th wheels, and motor homes of various sizes/brands. His opinion is, towing a nice size 25-30' TT is much/easier all the way around. You hook up and go. No dingy to mess with, no gas stations to navigate, no expensive insurance, no 100+gall of diesel=$500+ per fill up with 6-7mpg to deal with. Only downside in his opinion is some big rigs have a lot more storage on the RV.

Grass is always greener, right?
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2022, 08:06 AM   #34
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sav'h Steve View Post
I'd agree. With the engine up front, you're more likely to do oil changes and filters yourself than contorting your body into the access of a diesel pusher.
The downside is a 38' Super C has the same living space as a 30' class A.
So far, I've never regretted downsizing to the Airstream.

IMO, a class A only makes sense if you use it a lot.
Old 12-11-2022, 08:14 AM   #35
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Evergreen , Colorado
I’ve never been attracted to the Super C units the way that I have to the Class A units, but I have been inside a few of them. They’re nice. As mentioned above, they do give up some interior space compared to the Class A. However, they are far superior to the Class A in towing capacity and cargo/payload capacity. If you want to bring lots of toys and/or tow a huge trailer, then they’re the way to go. They aren’t cheap though…

I agree with the “grass is always greener” comment. I’m sure we’ll miss many things about the Airstream, but I’m sure we’ll like many things about the Class A.

Past:
Newmar Ventana 3715
Old 12-11-2022, 06:41 PM   #36
4 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
I'd agree. With the engine up front, you're more likely to do oil changes and filters yourself than contorting your body into the access of a diesel pusher.
The downside is a 38' Super C has the same living space as a 30' class A.
So far, I've never regretted downsizing to the Airstream.
We're not talking about a M-2 Freightliner chassis or the like. They are nice, but in the same expense arena as Class A's as I read.

Pheonix (and now Hoosier Custom) are on a F450 chassis. My understanding is driving these are MUCH easier than the Class A's. And the need for constant and tiring attention is a bit less than needed towing an A/S.

Cost is in the $180k area depending on options. (it was $155k just 3'4 years ago. Quality build is similar to A/S with attention to detail much better than most. It seems quality has suffered across the board as this plandemic has affected us. Used units are extremely rare.

I'm hanging on to my very well built 1990 Excella 25' as I have customized ti to a north/south queen bed and built-in cabinets. Storage is exceptional for this size.
Old 12-12-2022, 06:02 AM   #37

Allen , Texas
Coach House is another Class-C RV, based on the E450, that you may want to consider in your search.
edroge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2022, 06:39 AM   #38
4 Rivet Member

Coach House... my thoughts

I have taken the factory tour of C.H. They are very nice units that come in two basic shell sizes of fiberglass.

Based on memory from several years ago, the fewer holes in the original mold, the less likely one is to have any leaks. This implies their smaller sized unit without a slideout. My preference is the larger 27' unit with twins.

Coach House is even more rare. I see Airstreams every day on I-95. I might see one or two C.H. per year. And they REALLY like their units ~ ($$$$).

Still, it is a good unit if you can find a used one.
Old 12-12-2022, 11:02 AM   #39
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
I’ve never been attracted to the Super C units the way that I have to the Class A units, but I have been inside a few of them. They’re nice. As mentioned above, they do give up some interior space compared to the Class A. However, they are far superior to the Class A in towing capacity and cargo/payload capacity. If you want to bring lots of toys and/or tow a huge trailer, then they’re the way to go. They aren’t cheap though…

I agree with the “grass is always greener” comment. I’m sure we’ll miss many things about the Airstream, but I’m sure we’ll like many things about the Class A.
Other interesting "limitation" of these Super C's is that some of the "fancy exclusive" Class A campgrounds don't recognize anything but the Class A's for admittance! Understand there are discussions to "grandfather" in the Super C's...wondering if that would include the Ford450 "super" Class C mentioned here...or how they define the difference between Class C and Super Class C? (Also wondering if my old "neighbor with the Tiffen" crowd recognize anything but a Class A joining their group?) Lots here to consider....think I will stay with the AS another year...till this gets sorted out!
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2022, 11:22 AM   #40
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Evergreen , Colorado
I have never stayed (nor do I have the desire) at a “Class A Only” facility. I never had an interest in any of the “Airstream Only” facilities either. The first thought that pops into my head when I think about these facilities is: “get over yourself… they’re all RVs”. My philosophy now and in the past is that I prefer to camp with recreational or seasonal campers. I’m generally not interested in camping next to someone in a big rig that lives there full time.

We’re meeting some friends for our RV trek up to Alaska in the summer of 2023. They’ll be driving their Class C that is on a Ford F350 platform. Definitely not a Super C. I think the Super C rigs are usually on a heavy truck chassis like Freightliner. I don’t know where things like the F450 or larger stand in this classification.

I know that Newmar makes Class A rigs and Super C rigs, and all seem to be welcome in the owner’s clubs, in the community, etc. They don’t seem to make a distinction.

I’ve already begun working on my list of mods to the Newmar, just as I did with the Airstream. I don’t have quite as many (yet) as I did with the Airstream, but I’ve got plenty to keep me busy. I just ordered a DuraFaucet sprayer hose to replace the outdoor shower. I just added a TST TPMS system and I need to connect and mount the repeater. I’ve got a few more little tweaks planned.

In my opinion, the little tweaks and modifications are one of the gratifying parts of RV ownership, regardless of which type you own. I’m really looking forward to our first extended trip to Yellowstone and Grand Teton in May.

Past:
Newmar Ventana 3715