Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-26-2017, 05:55 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Naperville , Illinois
Airstream Trailer of the Future Options

Here are my Top 5 wish list items.
Any others out there?
(I'm an part-time inventor. Can't help myself.)

Top 5 Airstream Trailer of the Future Options
(wish list)

1. Trailer Frame & Body Lifter: A mechanism that would – at the flip of a switch – raise the trailer frame 3 inches above the axle height. To be used at slow speeds, for traverse of rough, uneven terrain and entry/exit of problematic fueling stations, storage sites and camp locations.

2. Sun and Hail Protection Umbrella: A lightweight, 70 mph wind compatible device, or collection of devices, that would - at the flip of a switch - project and deploy from the top or side of the Airstream, to protect the top surfaces of the Airstream from sun and hail damage. (To be used only for storage or camping situations.)

3. Airstream Outer Shell Leak Detector: A transmitting/sensor/segmented-grid/net or membrane - that would be installed against the inner surface of the outer shell, after the outer shell is attached to the frame – that would transmit - to a central receiver – the initial location of any water intrusion through the shell.

4. Built-in Extreme Weather Warning Device

5. Top View Camera: 360 degree or rotating camera(s), with mild telephoto capability, that would let me view the status of the top of the Airstream.
1995 & 2004 Gary Fisher Hoo-Koo-e-Koo emergency vehicles
pt.reyesfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 06:11 PM   #2
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
1)Coosa fibreglass reinforced polyurethane subfloor material. Up to 45% lighter than plywood, will not absorb moisture, no mildew or fungus as it's not organic material and just as strong or stronger than plywood.

It's not a matter of if, but when your trailer will leak; with Coosa, who cares.

http://coosacomposites.com

2)Electric assist motors in the axles for acceleration and regenerative braking to recharge batteries so that smaller vehicles could tow larger AS trailers. Trailer stability control systems that are integrated with the drive motors in the axles and in communication with TV stability control systems.

Cheers Tony

“It’s a recession when your neighbor loses his job; it’s a depression when you lose your own.” "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 07:22 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Fair Oaks , California
There should be a lever next to the tongue jack that can be pulled down if desired after the trailer has been unhitched. This will extend two small electrically powered wheels normally kept just above the bottom of the tongue jack. The lever can then be used to make any final parking adjustments, or re-position the trailer later on without having to re-hitch to the TV. The tongue jack wheels could also be used to turn the trailer around if you get stuck at the end of a long narrow road where it would be difficult or impossible to make a U turn using the TV hitched to the trailer.
McDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 07:33 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 25' International CCD FB
Northridge , California
Ability to customize my own interior layout..straight from the factory which would mean the open door wouldnt block the window!! Also flexibility on the size appliances..Dont necessarily want a larger refrigerator with the larger trailer...and a tub..me being 5'1 I can fit in the small tubs!
LilNomad
LiLNomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 07:53 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Fair Oaks , California
LiLNomad's post raised another dream of mine: to be able to get a choice of transparent or opaque windows in the door. Or, as long as we're talking about the future, how about an option that will make ANY window in the AS transparent or opaque at the press of a button (like the conveniently placed window at waist level above the toilet).
McDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 09:44 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by pt.reyesfan View Post
Here are my Top 5 wish list items.

3. Airstream Outer Shell Leak Detector: A transmitting/sensor/segmented-grid/net or membrane - that would be installed against the inner surface of the outer shell, after the outer shell is attached to the frame – that would transmit - to a central receiver – the initial location of any water intrusion through the shell.
Or, how about a shell that didn't leak?

Quote:
Originally Posted by McDave View Post
...if you get stuck at the end of a long narrow road where it would be difficult or impossible to make a U turn using the TV hitched to the trailer.
I learned out west that there's not always a shortcut. I took my MH towing a trailer out the back of WalMart to save negotiating a traffic light and ended up in a box canyon dead end. By myself.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 11:06 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1982 34' Limited
1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Send a message via Skype™ to Jenniflow
Lighter stronger better floor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isuzusweet View Post
1)Coosa fibreglass reinforced polyurethane subfloor material. Up to 45% lighter than plywood, will not absorb moisture, no mildew or fungus as it's not organic material and just as strong or stronger than plywood.

It's not a matter of if, but when your trailer will leak; with Coosa, who cares.

http://coosacomposites.com

2)Electric assist motors in the axles for acceleration and regenerative braking to recharge batteries so that smaller vehicles could tow larger AS trailers. Trailer stability control systems that are integrated with the drive motors in the axles and in communication with TV stability control systems.

Cheers Tony
Great idea about the floor. Pair that with the leak sensing membrane and you're halfway to an Airstream that doesn't drive you crazy chasing leaks down.

Great idea too about the rest you suggest but maybe the AS is already too popular for them to entertain enhancements like this. Here's hoping.
Jenniflow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 12:21 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2016 27' International
Larkspur , Colorado
I actually wrote Airstream a note about this, but what if they let you choose something other than white for the bedspread and curtains in the International. We travel with our dog, Rusty the Labradoodle, and the white bedspread which has to be dry cleaned made no sense to me whatsoever! It is in the basement in a box and I purchased a practical denim quilt that I could easily launder.

A different configuration for the table would also be an improvement. In the 27 FB, you cannot comfortably watch tv. We are getting a table top to match the counter that is 6 inches smaller so we can comfortably lounge at the table. Many people comment on the impractical configuration yet AS has done nothing to change it. Note: we love the trailer and have had little or no quality issues (knock wood).
MHammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 12:30 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Watertown , Massachusetts
Floor plan options on 20'

I would like a front twin bed option for the 20'.

Move the refrigerator to the other side - next to the bathroom. Move the door closer to the pantry. Put twin beds in the front along the sides with a hamper / night stand between them. A fold out table for the isle between the beds would be used for dining. A small closet would fit between the refrigerator and the end of the street side bed, and the water heater could go under it. On the curb side there would be room for even more counter space and a larger pantry or a second closet since the door wouldn't need to be moved by too much to accommodate the twin bed on that side.

Naturally, the windows would be moved next to the beds with cabinets above. The cross ventilation would be wonderful!

There could be an option for a bunk if you want to sleep a 3d person. The bunk would run across the front just above the heads of the twin beds.

There would be storage under each bed, and it would be a LOT easier to reach than what we have now under the full bed.

There would be no real need for the front window, with windows along the side of each bed. And the bunk option would mean you won't have one there anyway.
sallye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 02:18 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2004 22' Safari
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by sallye View Post
I would like a front twin bed option for the 20'.

Move the refrigerator to the other side - next to the bathroom. Move the door closer to the pantry. Put twin beds in the front along the sides with a hamper / night stand between them. A fold out table for the isle between the beds would be used for dining. A small closet would fit between the refrigerator and the end of the street side bed, and the water heater could go under it. On the curb side there would be room for even more counter space and a larger pantry or a second closet since the door wouldn't need to be moved by too much to accommodate the twin bed on that side.

Naturally, the windows would be moved next to the beds with cabinets above. The cross ventilation would be wonderful!

There could be an option for a bunk if you want to sleep a 3d person. The bunk would run across the front just above the heads of the twin beds.

There would be storage under each bed, and it would be a LOT easier to reach than what we have now under the full bed.

There would be no real need for the front window, with windows along the side of each bed. And the bunk option would mean you won't have one there anyway.

I like this. Listen up, Airstream!
Silver.Sanctuary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 08:22 AM   #11
BradT

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Milton , Georgia
These items are on my list to eventually get done. All technology is currently available.

I want full winterization at flip of a switch. Gulf Streams have this. Why not Airstreams!

Use/Store switch that displays actual status of system.

Propane fuel cell located next to fridge and shares air intake and exhaust chimney.

Electric door closer mechanism like car trunks have. This would quietly close and secure the door without requiring the usual Airstream slam.

Automatic spark starter for the gas oven!
bradt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 10:08 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Kansas City , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradt View Post

I want full winterization at flip of a switch. Gulf Streams have this. Why not Airstreams!

How about just starting this by moving the low point drain valves to the exterior? This way I could drain without crawling under the bed and taking out the floor of my closet. Maybe this is only an issue on the lowely Sport. Nevertheless it is a PITA

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 01:52 PM   #13
Classy Roscoe

Mini-spilt AC/heat pump

Add to the wish list a mini-spilt AC/Heating system. Runs on 12 Vdc, no ducting required, flat pack on roof with solar atop. That and inductive cook top, also 12 Vdc and the Adle heating and hot water and you have an awesome AS.
Jekerrville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 02:30 PM   #14
2020 Globetrotter 25 FBT

2020 25' Globetrotter
Wildwood , Missouri
I'd like a button to push that dropped legs down that leveled the trailer. That could even lift all four tires off the ground. At the same time it lifts the trailer off the hitch and I can pull away. Hooking back up would be just as easy.
I second the igniter in the oven!
And third the leak detector.

Previous AS trailers: (04) 19’ Bambi, and (11) FC 23FB
GettinAway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 10:41 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

1994 30' Excella
Livingston , Texas
Send a message via AIM to spclkaz
Front Kitchen

I'd like to see a newer design version of my 1994 Excella Front Kitchen. It was my third Airstream... I looked for one for over two years and finally found a used one in 1997 which I have had ever since. I believe the 94 Model was the last of the narrow body Airstreams, but I sure have enjoyed all the counter space of the front kitchen. In all my Airstream travels, I have only seen one other one besides mine...

My understanding is that AS stopped building them because the tongue weight was pretty high and some people experienced towing problems, but with my Hensley Hitch, I have never had any towing issues.
Attached Images

spclkaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 12:43 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

1983 31' Excella
The Woodlands , Texas
following
Air83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 06:44 AM   #17
4 Rivet Member

2014 25' Flying Cloud
1987 29' Sovereign
1978 31' Sovereign
Tampa Bay , Florida
Wish list...

A transparent window in the door with a shade which would help resolve the issue of the open door blocking the galley windows.

Tweak the dinette configuration so it's conducive to lounging and watching the TV; (i.e.) smaller table/slight recliner like angle to the back rests. Smaller table would also make opening/closing the curtains easier to get to.

Anything besides the cheesy Velcro curtain closures.

And slightly more room (inches) to walk around the Queen FB.

Awnings all the way around!

"The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page.” – St. Augustine
369goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 07:36 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
I agree with the OP....for me, as a now almost 4 year owner of my first ever TT (2014 bunkhouse), what sounds most amazing is new technologies to help me make sure my trailer is safe and well taken care of.

Therefore technologies for rock solid leak prevention and detection.

In my mind's eye, the future would have a simple yet powerful technology that could sort of scan the airstream and detect physical problems. This sort of technology would make quality at the manufacturing level nearly perfect, and also allow the owner to run diagnostic checks at various intervals.

The 3d camera type backup system seems not far out of reach now. while you back up, you could view a sort of bird's eye view of the trailer...or something like that....or like a mini drone that hovers above you transmitting video as you back in.

There needs to be a better future as far as like grey water is concerned....surely the future holds technology that makes processing grey water fast and easy to where you can re-use your grey water or simply safely dump it.

Perhaps airstream of the future have a clever way to store a couple bikes inside the trailer while in transit.....this has been discussed before...but something where you can walk the bike inside, and the bike is mounted very easily and very securely but with little or no footprint on the interior dιcor.....?

This is fun....I am trying not to get too futuristic here....

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote