RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 11-15-2020, 07:01 PM   #61
Freedom

2020 25' Flying Cloud
Dallas , TX
Airstream just replaced the cover on my propane tanks on my 2020 Airstream. Took a 45 minute drive to spend the weekend at a local park. Got up this morning and notice a small dent on the front right corner. I have no idea how it got that way, but they cost $800 so I am not going to worry about it. Driving down the roads things happen that go unexplained.

With this you can see how expensive it can be to keep one it showroom condition. If you have the money then go for it. Otherwise, learn that this is just the way it is.
WBCCI: 26506
KCurtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 08:17 PM   #62
ASTRID's Owner

1999 25' Safari
Running Springs , CA
Works fine, last a long time.

Buy a used one. Get one with a few dings or dents. Get one with something to fix so you can increase its perfection as it loses value while you use it. And make sure you USE IT! Scratch it up a little. Break something occasionally, then figure out how to make it even better when you fix it. In the end, refuse to ever sell it, making it part of you estate when you die, just to show the world that there is something in the world that is better and more durable than YOU! But be careful! You might have some FUN in the process.
gjsittler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 11:59 AM   #63
1 Rivet Member

1973 Argosy 26
94596 , California
Cra-Cra!

I'm sitting here cringing and shaking my head. IT'S A TRAILER FOR CRYING OUT LOUD!

Trailer are to be used. Trailers, like children, will. and should get scuffs and scrapes and dirty. We use the @#$% out of ours and love it. And we've gotten "miles of smiles" for each of our outtings (and you won't find a feather duster in our rig so it stays....."pretty").

Would you be comfortable "camping"? Would you be able to function in a public place like an RV park or a campground where you can't control what others do? (or would you be that crabby, nasty guy that every has horror stores about)

Perhaps a shiny coffee table book might be something to consider You could buy two; one to actually flip through, and one just for show. (you could even sit in the room with the "do not sit in these chairs" chairs, and have the full squiggly experience).

Unless you've been clinically diagnosed with OCD, please don't throw the term around. There are many people who suffer terribly from this disorder. If you think you DO have OCD, consult a medical professional for diagnosis. (you'll probably find you have control issues, though many won't admit to that because......well.........it doesn't have the same "oooooh ahhhhh" appeal that's soooo trendy with the LuLu Lemon wearing set).

But this is soooo far afield from the actual topic of Airstreams..............it give one pause.
tresoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 12:17 PM   #64
2 Rivet Member

2016 22' Sport
2018 25' International
Chino Hills , California
OCD maybe. If you love Mid Century Modern design. You’ll be quite pleased with the aesthetics of the. Airstream. I understand someone installed in Eames lounge chair would love to see that . We hang our George Nelson clock on every adventure. I love everything about Airsteam. Have had no problems with anything functioning well. And we are very new to this new type of traveling. We bought a brand new 2018 25 Ft FBT International serenity. And contracted Ultimate Airstream for a few modifications . Couldn’t be happier. check out their website. Ask for Ian should you have any ideas. Hope to see you down the road. Safe travels.
Luke Grisott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 01:06 PM   #65
2 Rivet Member

2021 27' Globetrotter
Los Angeles , California
You've come to the right place. Perfectionist and camping don't go hand in hand at all, but Perfectionism and Airstreamin' have a slim margin for success.

(Aka: I also have a 27 Globetrotter.)
Old 11-16-2020, 02:11 PM   #66
4 Rivet Member

2017 25' International
1968 17' Caravel
Los Osos , California
Suspend all Airstream brand OCD when traveling to the Great North.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Great North Mud square.JPG
Views:	9
Size:	75.3 KB
ID:	383365  
SilverWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 07:05 AM   #67
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by tresoir View Post
I'm sitting here cringing and shaking my head. IT'S A TRAILER FOR CRYING OUT LOUD!

Trailer are to be used. Trailers, like children, will. and should get scuffs and scrapes and dirty. We use the @#$% out of ours and love it. And we've gotten "miles of smiles" for each of our outtings (and you won't find a feather duster in our rig so it stays....."pretty").

Would you be comfortable "camping"? Would you be able to function in a public place like an RV park or a campground where you can't control what others do? (or would you be that crabby, nasty guy that every has horror stores about)

Perhaps a shiny coffee table book might be something to consider You could buy two; one to actually flip through, and one just for show. (you could even sit in the room with the "do not sit in these chairs" chairs, and have the full squiggly experience).

Unless you've been clinically diagnosed with OCD, please don't throw the term around. There are many people who suffer terribly from this disorder. If you think you DO have OCD, consult a medical professional for diagnosis. (you'll probably find you have control issues, though many won't admit to that because......well.........it doesn't have the same "oooooh ahhhhh" appeal that's soooo trendy with the LuLu Lemon wearing set).

But this is soooo far afield from the actual topic of Airstreams..............it give one pause.
I think a sense of humor is in order here.....
914Next is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 08:16 AM   #68
4 Rivet Member

2020 23' International
Evergreen , Colorado
This thread is beginning to remind me of threads that I read on the Porsche forums that I frequently visit. Some people on those forums freak out if it rains on their car. It's a car, not a Faberge Egg. It's meant to be driven. I visited the Porsche museum in Stuttgart a few years ago, and many of the classic cars on display there had road rash on the front bumper, chips in the paint, etc. Porsche cars are meant to be driven, not hidden away in a garage and wiped with a cloth diaper. The same is true for Airstreams. You could keep it in perfect shape, but where's the fun in that?

2020 International Serenity 23 FB "Sparkle Plenty"
2018 GMC Denali 1500 Crew Cab 4x4
Airstream Club International #2805
Dennis C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 10:12 AM   #69
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by tresoir View Post

Whoa there..speaking of OCD! I see you have a total of 4 posts so perhaps your not real familiar with the Forum, yet?? Not sure any one of our "opinion's" deserve such a harsh "diagnosis" nor "advise" about using the term OCD...if your offended, I would suggest not reading any more posts. Most of us here, are OCD in one way or another! Your likely to "loose it" even more if you keep reading!
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 02:31 PM   #70

1989 25' Excella
Newmarket , Ontario
As an outsider (we sold our Airstream 4 years ago) what about starting with an older model that you might not obsess so much about? Ours was 20 years old when we bought it, and already had it's share of faults that we accepted.
Now as for the Victoria, that should provide you with enough to occupy your OCD. Looks like a beaut. I'm still looking for an affordable '54 Merc Monterey like my Dad had when I was a kid.
Either way, you know yourself better than anyone and have probably already made a decision.
Happy Trails
nnovice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 06:43 AM   #71

1993 29' Excella
Kemptville , Ontario
Airstream or a sailboat for the OCD afflicted?

I own a sailboat and an Airstream. I've spent more time air streaming than sailing by along shot. But I have noticed something you might consider:

There are many sailers we who rarely, and perhaps never, sail, despite the boat being in the water. I'd say about 80% of the boats in marinas never leave the dock. Their owners want everything in perfect order, to prevent sinking, which they fear most. It turns into an obsession of fixing and replacing, upgrading and getting ready for that circumnavigation that will never happen. But they love their boats, and sit in the cockpits over the weekend with drinks in hand and happy hours with their neighbours. For the price of an Airstream, you can get a really lovely sailboat or cruiser, and tinker away at your leisure. One thing to remember: B.O.A.T. stands for 'Break Out Another Thousand'!
lowlanderg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 10:15 AM   #72
Site Team

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Airstream OCD?

What you need to do is buy a Bowlus Road Chief, because they're truly hand made, gorgeous, and genuinely expensive. Then you'd be not using it in real style! 🤣

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 06:38 AM   #73
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daquenzer View Post
Yep. But I found a guy in Green Bay that takes out dents in Aluminum. Watched him and itís a real art form. I had 4 dents and he repaired them. Canít see them at all. But yes you learn 1) Donít let the tailgate down before cleaning off the bumper. And NEVER put tools or anything on the bumper; except where the license plate is.

The biggest hazard I found to tailgate dents is Walmart carts. Always park where the cart rack is a long distance away.
Daquenzer my wife's family is from Ephraim and we go there often. Heading up there for a month in January (I know....bad time of year). In fact when we buy the trailer I'll be looking for storage in northern door. We live in Mexico now but home is still Wisconsin!

Steve
Old 11-19-2020, 06:41 AM   #74
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocinante View Post
What you need to do is buy a Bowlus Road Chief, because they're truly hand made, gorgeous, and genuinely expensive. Then you'd be not using it in real style! 🤣
You know me well! I think airstream is about as expensive as I'm willing to go. Have loved all the comments and I'm not running away yet! But it is good to know that others struggle with the same damn obsessions as us.

Steve
Old 11-23-2020, 03:20 PM   #75
1 Rivet Member

1997 30' Excella
Corinth , TX
You'll need to get your arms around the fact that

A) You're buying a used vehicle
B) When you use these things, they get wear and tear and
C) They all have nicks and dings and things you simply can't repair to "brand new" status.

If you can get your arms around that, you'll be fine. Otherwise you may want to get a different hobby.
Scooter2104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2020, 10:31 PM   #76
Rivet Master

1969 18' Caravel
Greenville , whereEverIroam
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis C View Post
Porsche cars are meant to be driven, not hidden away in a garage and wiped with a cloth diaper.
Reminds me of a quote:

"A man with his priorities so far outta wack doesn't deserve such a fine automobile"

Sound familiar?
skyguyscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 06:34 AM   #77
4 Rivet Member

2020 23' International
Evergreen , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyguyscott View Post
Reminds me of a quote:

"A man with his priorities so far outta wack doesn't deserve such a fine automobile"

Sound familiar?
I believe so.
Attached Images

Old 12-09-2020, 06:44 AM   #78
3 Rivet Member

2021 25' Globetrotter
Cleveland , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyguyscott View Post
Reminds me of a quote:

Sound familiar?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis C View Post
I believe so.
It's Ferris Bueller.

https://getyarn.io/yarn-clip/e02f9c3...0-9b7750e438d9
matthewk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 06:49 AM   #79
4 Rivet Member

2020 23' International
Evergreen , Colorado
Damn. That’s right. Mixed up my ‘80s movies.

Old 12-09-2020, 06:47 PM   #80
Rivet Master

1969 18' Caravel
Greenville , whereEverIroam
IIRC the car in Ferris was a Ferrari, the one in Risky was a Porsche, the relevant quote there being their ad tag line, ďPorsche, there is no substitute. ď

I left the 80s thirty years ago, but they have not left me yet, despite some effort. Oh well, there are worse things. I thoroughly enjoyed that entire decade, and ďif you had half the fun I had, then I had twice as much fun as you.Ē
skyguyscott is offline   Reply With Quote