RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 11-10-2020, 11:44 AM   #21
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawus"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , Milky Way
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsbrodsky View Post
Ha! With PPF and Ceramic Coat you fit in the OCD group! I know because I did PPF on the Corvette and Ceramic Coat on the Jag. Life is a lot easier with just plain old wax/polish on my truck.
Larry
Oh Krap...now Ceramic-Pro=OCD.
I thought it was just an Old Fart shortcut.

Bob
🇺🇸
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	9321F3BF-5E12-4BB4-BF02-A7DA28B1A695_1_201_a.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	348.4 KB
ID:	382944  

Tahawus
🌤
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 12:03 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
Oh Krap...now Ceramic-Pro=OCD.
I thought it was just an Old Fart shortcut.

Bob
🇺🇸
No shortcut if you do the prep right. Then you have to renew it periodically and it is no use for rock chips. But it does make washing easier...if you wash your TV.
Larry
lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 09:05 PM   #23
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piggy Bank View Post
"And that's why you have insurance."

If this can be enough for you to treat an object (the airstream) as a tool, a thing, and not something you are responsible for keeping alive, then on the whole, airstreams are great for people who are picky.

I speak of this not lightly. We are on our 3rd Airstream. Our first two, though meticulously cared for by us, were damaged in accidents. And that's why you have insurance. We traded them in plus the insurance check and got new (albeit larger) trailers.vs keeping and repairing them.

And that's why you have insurance. Why I can park in a safe places, lock my trailer, and if some nefarious thief commits a crime, it is not a failure on my part. Because that's why you have insurance.

And that's why you have insurance. We avoid travel during storms or poor driving conditions if possible. But if we were to have a road accident --other driver, hit a bear (almost happened in Yellowstone), or just make a mistake, well that's why you have insurance.

Now, why Airstreams are great for picky people.

Their visual simplicity of design allows for a very pleasing space inside the rig. Everything is there by design. The storage is ample to keep everything put away unless you are using it. It looks so darn fantastic!. The metal walls glisten, the open windows allow a cross breeze unlike any other type of trailer, the panoramic views at the ends are amazing. The bathroom is easy to clean. The kitchen is easy to clean. The trailer is easy to wash with a bucket, a telescoping washing brush, and a step ladder.

We are meticulous about cleaning. But the space is easy to clean.

It has been a wonderful experience to know the we are fortunate to have this amazing tool to use for our family.
Thanks for the perspective. We too love the look and feel of the airstream. It fits our modern/vintage bent. Just need to learn to keep it all in perspective.
914Next is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 10:42 PM   #24
3 Rivet Member

2020 25' International
minneapolis , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by majorairhead View Post
Don't buy one.

You have a whole house on wheels rumbling down the interstate, hammering pot holes, bouncing over bridges, taking stone chips from passing cars.

Loose screws, broken cabinets, pulled wires, leaks, troubleshooting this that and everything else, furnace won't light, A/C won't fire up, fridge not running, you name it.

It's an OCD nightmare.

Hit the 'new posts' button at top of page, just read a few pages of topics.....it's brutal.

Good luck

I read your concerns, then laughed my a$$ off when I read majorairheads’s response. Yes, I do carry an Ego chainsaw, and yes...I have googled numerous articles how to protect the AS from hail. Hail Protector looks pretty good when avail. I now have a 5yr old & 8yr old. It has been a very difficult path learning to relax and not sweat the small stuff! Anything can be fixed!!! I just paid a guy $150 to fix my floor after dropping a knife point down into my 2020 Int. Serenity’s floor. ...after all that ocd panicking concern with my 2020’s damaged floor and you can’t even see it!!!! Last week I left a wrench on my mint 2019 F150 limited’s bumper when I opened the tailgate... a nice dent in my black tailgate and I just let it go!!! Just buy the Airstream and enjoy it. Buy a good vacuum, the amount of dirt & leaves that get tracked in...you would think you are parked in a sand box! ...then let everything else go...
s1000pre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 01:29 PM   #25
4 Rivet Member

2000 30' Excella
GTA , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1000pre View Post
I read your concerns, then laughed my a$$ off when I read majorairheads’s response. Yes, I do carry an Ego chainsaw, and yes...I have googled numerous articles how to protect the AS from hail. Hail Protector looks pretty good when avail. I now have a 5yr old & 8yr old. It has been a very difficult path learning to relax and not sweat the small stuff! Anything can be fixed!!! I just paid a guy $150 to fix my floor after dropping a knife point down into my 2020 Int. Serenity’s floor. ...after all that ocd panicking concern with my 2020’s damaged floor and you can’t even see it!!!! Last week I left a wrench on my mint 2019 F150 limited’s bumper when I opened the tailgate... a nice dent in my black tailgate and I just let it go!!! Just buy the Airstream and enjoy it. Buy a good vacuum, the amount of dirt & leaves that get tracked in...you would think you are parked in a sand box! ...then let everything else go...
Painless dent repair guy could maybe fix it?
#4286 Stella the 2000 30ft Excella/Classic - Tow Vehicle - 2012 Mercedes Benz GL350d - CanAmRv.ca hitch Reinforcement EZ-Lift WD with 2 Anti Sway Bars. previous tow vehicle 2005 Ford F150 Lariat 367,000Kms 5.4L
Ultraclassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 02:09 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultraclassic View Post
Painless dent repair guy could maybe fix it?
You would think/hope it was a "painless dent", right? That aluminum tailgate likely would need to be replaced...I went thru this also, with my F150 few years back when I had my 25' FC....left the BO wrench on the bumper and Ford said the whole tail gate needed to be removed and replaced, including the step, inside liner, and harness...said they don't fix the aluminum just replace it. Needless to say I did not replace; I just traded the F150 when I got my new F250....now, I am very careful where I put my wrench while hooking up or working with my tools around the rear of my truck!
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 05:29 PM   #27
3 Rivet Member

2020 25' International
minneapolis , Minnesota
Yea, you would think they would leave a little more room between the tailgate and bumper. ...Im surprised a chunk of ice hasn't done it yet!
s1000pre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 06:12 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
McHenry , Illinois
I’m with Piggy Bank

914Next,

I think Piggy Bank nailed it. Insurance will cover your “new to you” Airstream. A trailer is not irreplaceable unless you’re lucky enough to have something like an Airstream PanAmerica (see “The Accountant” movie with Ben Affleck).

We love our 2019 27’ Globetrotter and have enjoyed the whole Airstream experience. Sure there were things that needed attention; I just got back from a trip to Jackson Center for a punch list of repairs but it’s done and life is good again.

At some point in the future you’ll look back and say “I really enjoyed the travels we took in our Airstream” and have forgotten the little things that happened along the way.

Enjoy it!
Jeff
WBCCI# 10258
RETIRED!
jeffmc306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 08:32 PM   #29
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffmc306 View Post
914Next,

I think Piggy Bank nailed it. Insurance will cover your “new to you” Airstream. A trailer is not irreplaceable unless you’re lucky enough to have something like an Airstream PanAmerica (see “The Accountant” movie with Ben Affleck).

We love our 2019 27’ Globetrotter and have enjoyed the whole Airstream experience. Sure there were things that needed attention; I just got back from a trip to Jackson Center for a punch list of repairs but it’s done and life is good again.

At some point in the future you’ll look back and say “I really enjoyed the travels we took in our Airstream” and have forgotten the little things that happened along the way.

Enjoy it!
Jeff

Thanks.....and I think you have our trailer! : ) Lookin' for that same year and model. Congrats and enjoy.
914Next is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 09:13 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Baileys Harbor , Wisconsin
I am a bit picky about my vehicles. I just bought a new F150 and about a month ago I saw a white mark on my door. A little ding. How did that get there? Got a little touch up paint and fixed it. Isn’t perfect, BUT I can’t see it. Same thing is true with the Airstream. I don’t like dings and scratches. I like it to shine. Thus the first ding may be your greatest gift. But things go wrong. You will be constantly fixing, maintaining, improving, etc on it. Anything traveling down the road at 65 mph with bumps and wind, rain, and stones is going to need upkeep. You just have to remember that there is a time to repair and there is a time to recreate. Some things will just wait. And then some things can’t; like when you can’t get hot water!

The one nice thing is that Airstreams are pretty well built. But they are not perfect. So if you want perfection DON”T. But if you want enjoyment, DO.
Daquenzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 09:16 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Baileys Harbor , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydad View Post
You would think/hope it was a "painless dent", right? That aluminum tailgate likely would need to be replaced...I went thru this also, with my F150 few years back when I had my 25' FC....left the BO wrench on the bumper and Ford said the whole tail gate needed to be removed and replaced, including the step, inside liner, and harness...said they don't fix the aluminum just replace it. Needless to say I did not replace; I just traded the F150 when I got my new F250....now, I am very careful where I put my wrench while hooking up or working with my tools around the rear of my truck!
Yep. But I found a guy in Green Bay that takes out dents in Aluminum. Watched him and it’s a real art form. I had 4 dents and he repaired them. Can’t see them at all. But yes you learn 1) Don’t let the tailgate down before cleaning off the bumper. And NEVER put tools or anything on the bumper; except where the license plate is.

The biggest hazard I found to tailgate dents is Walmart carts. Always park where the cart rack is a long distance away.
Daquenzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 12:21 AM   #32
Rivet Puller

2003 28' Safari S/O
Atlanta Burbs , Georgia
Don't worry about all those initial responses other than to learn there are alumanati with your malaise. I've heard the secret to happy Airstream ownership is a script for sertraline so you can motor onward and not spend all your days fixing stuff in the driveway so you can travel.

Sir Tristan
Air #48582, S/SO #003, WBCCI #4584
SeeMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 01:29 PM   #33
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Kansas City , Missouri
Thanks for the vote of confidence!

Now onto my tips for Picky/OCD airstreaming.

1-You see everything in the trailer all at once. Visually clutter is a horrible stressor. Be RUTHLESS and don't bring anything into the trailer that clashes. Choose a starting off point-a picture, a pillow, or a rug for example NOTHING comes into the trailer that clashes. This is key. No throw rug just because it's on sale. No plastic glasses just because you had them already. Be selective. I would carry a photo on my phone of my starting off point ( a poster print of Joshua Tree NP that we have framed on the wall). If something doesn't go with this in color, style, mood, I did not buy it. This way even during busy times when everything is out, nothing clashes. There is a facebook group of airstream interiors that is very good to see visually how things look.

2-Preparedness. If you are OCD-ish, you may be also the type of person who highly values preparedness and safety. I have a paper towel holder that is out but not over the cooktop, hot pads out and within reach of the stove, a foot-pedal trash can, a wooden cutting board that I can use for hot pans, extra fire extinguisher in bedroom and above the kitchen cabinet (small aerosol can type), and a fire suppression blanket just in case. For travel safety we carry an air compressor and tire changing tools, and use good mirrors.

3-Safety is not a judgement. Unlike anything else in your marriage, the safety double-check ing that you do when air streaming is not about a judgment of the other person's doing something correctly or not. It's purely about safety. Until you both check each other's work and both agree on what to do about a problem, it's not a green light. This has been one of the best parts about it for us, as we talk about what to do and learn new skills.

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 01:58 PM   #34
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
1976 31' Excella 500
1974 31' Excella 500
1975 24' Argosy 24
Denver , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by 914Next View Post
Got a laugh out of your Saarinen vs flex steel! Now wait....is that really that far fetched???
Not at all! I've done a couple Airstreams utilizing only MCM appointments!

Danish-built furniture is solid as a rock... much better than any RV/Trailer furniture being sold today.
kidjedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 03:58 PM   #35
Rivet Master

1960 22' Safari
in the wilderness , The great Mojave Desert
View my experience/opinion on Airstream ownership and then decide.

We buy Airstreams because they are beautiful.

Ownership is changing a brand new or new to you Airstream to fit your tastes.

Ownership is maintenance heavy. From a loose rivet to an entire system dying.

Take a trip. repair maybe. Take another trip repair maybe but a new style or upgrade change. Take a trip repair. Wash rinse repeat.

An Airstream will always be a work in progress but oddly that is OK as doing the upgrade or repair is in its own way a zen experience.

I say it is worth it. YMMV

WBCCI 3344 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4

Yes, we have courtesy parking for you. About an hour North of Los Angeles.
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 10:16 AM   #36
1 Rivet Member

Houston , Arkansas
Ocd

I am in the same boat. I must admit, ordering, prepping and fine tuning our new 27 Globetrotter FB was great. I enjoy fine tuning it’s operation and finding ways to make it unique. For us it was about boondocking, adding solar, lithium batteries and learning about all of the components
It’s back from its maiden voyage and sitting comfortably in our metal building, washed and hooked to 30amp service
Planning our next trip but also open to ways to add options. It’s a disease
Kjmmcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 10:26 AM   #37

1993 29' Excella
Kemptville , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by 914Next View Post
My wife and I are contemplating the purchase of a newer but used airstream (globetrotter 27). We're both pretty aesthetically focused, perfectionists, and I'll admit I have a tendency to be a bit obsessive (although not unreasonably so in my view ). As an example my wife loves to tell the (exaggerated) stories of me having a modern chair obsession but then refusing to sit on them because I love to look at them...not wear them out. I also have been an old car enthusiast and I'm that guy who loves all original survivors and then drives them only rarely in order to keep them in pristine original condition. Ok, it sounds more anal than it is but....I'm not entirely innocent.

So....seriously I wonder whether airstreaming is just an OCD bout waiting to happen? Are the majority of you people fellow perfectionists who will worry about the potential hail storm, obsess about filiform corrosion, pack a chainsaw so that you can remove low hanging branches before you back the trailer into a spot (I'm joking....mostly), outfitting your wife with a reflective suit so that she can stand and direct you safely out and away from the gas pumps and contemplate selling the damn thing after the first dent? Is my mental health in jeopardy here?

I think I can let go....I think I can.....

And you?
My advice is do not buy one if you angst over little stuff. It's a travel trailer, meant to provide shelter, not a museum piece. I am always fixing, replacing or improving my 29 foot Excella. Rolling down the highway is like putting a house through a constant minor earthquake. My irritation right now is the peeling clear coat and cracking pin-striping. But our Sally is 27 years old!
lowlanderg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 10:32 AM   #38
3 Rivet Member

1965 17' Caravel
Curtis Wright
San Marcos , Texas
Send a message via AIM to kevinkatz
It may be good therapy

it may be a good way to help you with some of your obsessive behavior. But only if you want 😁
kevinkatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 10:38 AM   #39

2020 27' Flying Cloud
Las Vegas , Nevada
My first thought is; Good luck finding a used Airstream that works for you and why not buy new. I'm a bit like you but being a radiologist might be worse. I see all the issues. I always buy new but realize even knew isn't perfect. Don't worry about dirtying up the Airstream. Just go out and enjoy the amazing release of a road trip, the joyful connection with nature, and the ability to change directions (location) at will.
Rofsteinmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 10:59 AM   #40
Rivet Master

1969 18' Caravel
Greenville , whereEverIroam
I am guessing you don't have kids, do you?

Here is a thought that may help. Your Airstream is a time machine that lets you be a kid again, discovering everything new, letting you explore things you've never seen, or never taken time to see anew.

Your Airstream in some ways is like a jeep. Your jeep may look like this at first:

Very nice, eh? But this is not what jeeps are built for. This is:

There is no question of which jeep looks better, nor any question of which owner has more fun and enjoys life more.
skyguyscott is offline   Reply With Quote