Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-22-2021, 07:36 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1969 27' Overlander
Pleasanton , Texas
Airsteam Only park?

Just noted a couple of Airstream only parks on Texas. What a unique idea. How widespread is this concept?
Mbeech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 07:45 AM   #2
Site Team

2006 23' Safari SE
Lexington , Kentucky
There are some around the country. There was one in northern Tennessee and we came across one in central Florida that used to be AS only, but the owner said they let in SOBs because there weren't enough AS to cover costs. Still, it was mostly AS in it, some old ones, a lot of RV AS. It was interesting to drive around it. There was an attached golf course which also made it attractive. Travelers Rest RV Resort and Golf Course, it's near Dade City.
https://www.travelersrestresort.com/
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
richw46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 07:49 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
I stayed overnight at one in Helen, Ga.
Nice people, basic services. Mostly full timers it appeared.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 07:57 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
FYI search results for AOCG posts scattered all over here:

https://www.google.com/search?q=Airs...=airforums.com

FYI
FWIW

Let the music lift you up . . .
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 08:03 AM   #5

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Greetings from the Florida Panhandle

There are actually quite a few "Airstream Only" RV Parks all over the country. We have camped at quite a few of them over the years. Most are owned and run by various Units of the WBCCI (Airstream Club). The rules to stay at the campgrounds vary. Some are open to WBCCI members only. Some allow all Airstreams, but there is a different rate for WBCCI members. Some also allow SOB's, but at a higher daily rate than Airstreams. These Parks are listed on the WBCCI Website.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 08:10 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by moosetags View Post
. . .
. . . These Parks are listed on the WBCCI Website.

Brian
Is there still such a site, now that the WBCCI status seems unclear at this time IMO?

Not sure if the new club has this info?

https://airstreamclub.org/
https://airstreamclub.org/about

https://airstreamclub.org/rules-road

https://airstreamclub.org/rules-road...es-and-manuals

Old 04-22-2021, 08:12 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1969 27' Overlander
Pleasanton , Texas
WBCCI is gone??
Old 04-22-2021, 08:32 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
There were a lot of Airstreams in the 70's and 80's. There were quite a few groups of people who got together and built parks. As mentioned above some have stayed Airstream only. Some have changed that.

We have stayed at 5 that are still Airstream only and have a lot at one that started as Airstream only but is now mostly park models. (Travelers rest resort). They still tolerate Airstreams and you will see a number of Airstreams beside the houses in the village section.

I can think of several more that are still Airstream only.

Airstream only now makes no sense as a business model. I do not think any of these parks were developed as a business or for profit. Just a grouping of like minded people who created something unique and nice for themselves.

The parks are run in different manners. Helen, GA is owned by the local chapter of the WBCCI and just rents by the day. At TCPC in Crossville, TN each lot is privately owned and there are rules about owning just one lot. Land Yacht Harbor is mostly private houses with attached Airstream parking or sheds. And has a very nice Airstream organization that offers lots of services for visitors.

I have not visited the park at Melbourne Fl because of the no pets rule. Life comes with choices.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 08:38 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2015 20' Flying Cloud
Kingsport , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbeech View Post
WBCCI is gone??
WBCCI has become ACI.
Old 04-22-2021, 08:39 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbeech View Post
Just noted a couple of Airstream only parks on Texas. What a unique idea. How widespread is this concept?
Excellent question with a long history to be recapped in an answer! My husband and I are members of Texas Airstream Harbor (TAHI), which does not have a prominent presence on Air Forums, so maybe I could help answer a few questions.

I hope this doesn't star to sound like a sales pitch below - that's not my intention. Anyone with an interest in Airstream parks should do their own research, because it's a great fit for some people, and not a good fit for others. I've walked multiple prospective members through the TAHI model and some say "I love this" and others say "Oh, this would never work for me." It's an individual determination.

Short version: The Airstream park concept used to be more widespread in the past, but a number of them (?? does anyone know how many??) did not prove to be financially sustainable over the long term. They either became hybrid parks, dropping the Airstream exclusivity and opening up to SOBs (some-other-brands), or they closed altogether. BUT, there are still a number that that continue viable operations, TAHI being one of them.

Right now, especially with the pandemic and with an evolution in the park model and mentality generally, some Airstream parks are undergoing a renaissance. I cannot tell you how glad my husband and I were to have a membership in TAHI during those long months in 2020 when everything else was closed due to full lockdowns or the less-comprehensive restrictions that followed. If not for our ability to shuttle between Houston and TAHI in East Texas, we simply would have remained sitting at home with very little to break up the monotony. Membership sales (transfers) in TAHI increased enormously in 2020, as many other people began to see the value in having an option like that.

Historically, the Airstream parks were loci for WBCCI activities, rallies, and non-rally-related socialization, but at this point, TAHI (at least) is attracting more non-retired members, who do still have jobs, and who maybe are interested in establishing a membership for more traditional club participation later in life when they retire, but for now they participate in club activities only minimally due to work-related time constraints. My husband and I fall into that category - we both have jobs - and there are several other remote workers in TAHI who are similar.

Are there any specific questions I could answer?? There are many, many different ways to approach this discussion.

EDIT: Here's an artsy shot of one of our TAHI membership lots at night, with our rig parked under the cabana cover, and my husband sitting in the screened porch. That object hanging in front of our Interstate is my Mayan hammock:

InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 10:26 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by LNBright View Post
WBCCI has become ACI.
Links in Post #6.

Old 04-22-2021, 10:47 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by LNBright View Post
WBCCI has become ACI.
True, but if one googles WBCCI, it offers the ACI page as the top link. Many people still call it WBCCI, and the ACI logo says "established 1955" so hopefully newcomers understand the name transformation.
Old 04-22-2021, 11:03 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
The links in Post #6 lead to lots of background info.

Old 04-23-2021, 06:13 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
FYI search results for AOCG posts scattered all over here:

https://www.google.com/search?q=Airs...=airforums.com

FYI
FWIW
I scanned those sources - comments below rather than over there, because this present thread is more fresh:

(1) "My only [gripe] is with the ones that don't allow dogs."

Wow, I wasn't aware of that - I thank that poster for the warning in case I visit any of the other Airstream parks.

TAHI welcomes well-behaved dogs and we have an informal dog owners group, which is one of the most enjoyable parts of the experience for me. Several times per week, have what we call "yappy hour" where we get all our dogs together and let them run and play together on adjacent federal land - we all agree it's a more fun experience than any suburban dog park. Dogs must remain leashed on TAHI property and that is stringently enforced, but the adjacent Corps of Engineers land (along the Lake Sam Rayburn shoreline) is not as heavily regulated in that particular context, so we are able to do this, to sit in lawn chairs at the lakeside and gab as our dogs frolic.

(2) "Some Airstream-only campgrounds are owned by WBCCI Units, who hold the majority of their rallies there and even store their Airstreams there when not traveling."

This is true of TAHI, which is home of the Texas Gulf Coast Unit (TGCU) of WBCCI / ACI. The park contains full-timers but also a variety of other people who leave their rigs on their lots.

(3) "What I can't understand is wanting to exclude children. Children bring the spark of life wherever they go."

Personally I have mixed feelings about this part. I miss children but it's also nice to sit and listen to the wildlife (birds, crickets, frogs) without a cacophony of kids screaming over them. Many people seeking a venue like TAHI are looking for quiet time for the first time in their lives. If the parks were to admit younger families, it would also bring a whole host of additional liabilities and logistics - just for starters, imagine for instance 3 school buses (elementary, middle, and high school) trundling through the parks 2 times every weekday. The parks were never built to handle that kind of load - it just wasn't part of the 501(c)(7) model.
Old 04-23-2021, 06:31 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Nice update thanks.

"Woof!"

Old 04-23-2021, 07:36 AM   #16
Fulltimer Oldtimer

2015 30' International
Marietta , Ohio
My wife and I stay at Land Yacht Harbor in Melbourne, FL and have for 4 yrs. Predominately AS with a certain percentage of non-Airstreams accepted per by-laws. Extremely affordable for AS owners and beautifully unkept; paved streets, pads, etc. All sites come with 8'x10' likekind sheds (very handy). Age 55+, no pets. Love it and the folks are nice. https://www.landyachtharborofmelbourne.com

2015 International Sig
2015 Ford F-350 PowerStroke 6.7L
marcusmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 07:49 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
The Minnesota Airstream Park is Airstream only, started by WBCCI Club members, but now is open to all Airstream owners, regardless of Club affiliation. It is a very very nice park in an oak savana, with a nine hole golf course, pool, club house, etc. Also mostly full right now with a recent resurgence in Airstream ownership. They always have room for visitors, though. We do not "own" a spot in the Park, but go there occasionally for a weekend to see friends and enjoy the quiet. It's an hour away in Clear Lake, MN near St Cloud.

Kay
Minno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 09:40 AM   #18
2 Rivet Member

1969 27' Overlander
Pleasanton , Texas
Good info
Does transfer mean sale are there hoa fees etc?
Old 04-23-2021, 11:34 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Airstream - Other
Airstream - Other
North Central Texas , USA
A lot has been going on with the club name these past few years but if I understand the way it was explained to me, The WBCCI (Wally Byam Caravan Club International) is still the official corporation name registered in the State of Ohio with the names WBAC (Wally Byam Airstream Club) and ACI (Airstream Club International) listed as 'DBA' names.

The WBAC and ACI are not 'new' clubs. The more you learn about Airstream the better you understand who Wally (& Stella) Byam are and why the importance/significance to the brand name Airstream.

My wife and I own 'shares' in the North Texas Airstream Community (NTAC Inc.), a Texas corporation. Each Airstream park is it's own entity. For us it has been a great place for our Airstream lifestyle.
RivetED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 12:30 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
Our park has leased sites only for RV's and has a village section with houses. The village has maintenance fees. The park provides water and sewage treatment. Our park is open year around. Some are not. The other park I am real familiar with has owner owned lots, a pond, and water treatment and sewage plants and a road. Yes, there are fees.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote